PDA

View Full Version : Uverse wireless internet and Windows XP

whodoyoulike
02-07-2016, 09:00 PM
I guess this is more of an FYI.

For the past week, I've been having internet connection problems using my XP machine. It was off and on which took a number of attempts to connect. Today, after 2 hours of inability to connect, I called ATT and they spent a good 1/2 hour to get it going and spent another 10 minutes with me as I clicked on different sites to make sure everything worked.

The problem was an inability to connect or it would assign me to a weak connection under another "gateway" I.D. which gave me a message of "no internet connection". My "gateway" is locked and protected, the one I end up assigned is not.

Within minutes after I hung up, the problem(s) re-occurred. I called ATT again and the representative said Uverse no longer supports Windows XP unless I'm able to upgrade my OS to Windows 7 or Vista which I don't think my machine will support.

Anyone else have this occur?

Fortunately, I can use my newer machine but, I really like (or comfortable) using my XP. So, basically my XP is a paper weight with a lot of racing data.

There was another thread about Google not supporting XP any longer, this is a worse situation.

tupper
02-08-2016, 12:08 AM
Within minutes after I hung up, the problem(s) re-occurred. I called ATT again and the representative said Uverse no longer supports Windows XP unless I'm able to upgrade my OS to Windows 7 or Vista which I don't think my machine will support. Anyone else have this occur?This is the same kind of response that one gets from customer support when one reveals he/she is running a Linux distro. Sounds like BS to me.

Your OS (Windows XP) has nothing to do with whether or not your wifi can properly connect -- wifi software is not OS software.

Either there is some other technical problem, and customer support won't/can't handle it (not good), or ATT/Uverse is intentionally thwarting your connection because it senses that you use XP (outrageously bad).

So, basically my XP is a paper weight with a lot of racing data.Your data is fine. Like your wifi software, your data is independent of your OS. You should be able to use that same data with software on any OS.

There was another thread about Google not supporting XP any longer, this is a worse situation.Perhaps Google doesn't "support" older versions of Internet Explorer that were used on XP. Why would accessing Google with your web browser have anything to do with your OS?

upthecreek
02-08-2016, 06:56 AM
Perhaps Google doesn't "support" older versions of Internet Explorer that were used on XP. Why would accessing Google with your web browser have anything to do with your OS?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128618

Dave Schwartz
02-08-2016, 09:11 AM
What happens if you run a NIC directly to the wireless device from the XP machine? (The router should have at least one place to plug in a cable.)

wilderness
02-08-2016, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
Within minutes after I hung up, the problem(s) re-occurred. I called ATT again and the representative said Uverse no longer supports Windows XP unless I'm able to upgrade my OS to Windows 7 or Vista which I don't think my machine will support. Anyone else have this occur?
This is the same kind of response that one gets from customer support when one reveals he/she is running a Linux distro. Sounds like BS to me.

Ditto to this and I had this happen to me with AT&T in 2013 or 2014.
I use Outlook Express for my email and their response was that they no longer provide support for OE.
My response was that I was not seeking help for OE and that i had more knowlege and experience with OE than any of their techs.

I had numerous repeated problems with AT&T/SBC Customer support and absloutely dreaded making a phone call to them.

One tech whom came to the house told me how to deal with some of the steps that support leads you through via the telephone!

Did you try another router/modem?
How long have you had this router/modem
Have you checked all your connections and also those filters they add through-out the home?

whodoyoulike
02-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try contacting ATT again. The rep's response didn't make sense to me but, I did Google it and back in 2013 someone else complained with something similar and one rep responded with the same but a tech did provide a work around which supposedly worked but the link is no longer available. I was fine until a week ago.

I'm responding on here using the other "unprotected gateway" which is allowing me to access Google etc.

Anyone see a problem with this?

I only plan to use it temporarily until ATT sends someone out. I do realize my data files are still usable but I pretty much set it up using my new machine for other tasks and my XP for mainly horse racing stuff. I'll just have to adjust.

Dave and Wilderness,

Thanks but, your questions are way above my pay grade. And, I'd rather not "tinker" with things unless it's something easier to understand like a car or something similar.

Hoofless_Wonder
02-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Indeed, the Internet Provider software and o/s should be separate, but it's possible that a browser or some other piece of unsupported code on XP is tripping you up. It may even be hardware related, if it's an older XP machine - and if Vista won't run on it, it is older hardware.

Internet Providers publish their requirements, and I would imagine that XP has not been supported for some time, but perhaps a change on their side has now rendered your machine unable to connect. There's just too many potential places where the problem may lie to troubleshoot it without more info.

I had a similiar problem when I moved a couple of years ago, and the local Comcast provider was running with different settings that limited my download speed with the same modem and PC. I had to buy a new modem to get the full speed to work.

It's a shame and sometimes wasteful. Once you get to the about the 7-8 year point, even if your system is working fine, portions of it may start to hit end-of-life and cause major problems.

wilderness
02-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Dave and Wilderness,

Thanks but, your questions are way above my pay grade. And, I'd rather not "tinker" with things unless it's something easier to understand like a car or something similar.

FWIW, all Dave is suggesting, is that try connecting with an Ethernet cable rather than wireless (in an attempt to confirm whether your issues are with the wireless router).

whodoyoulike
02-09-2016, 09:07 PM
This is an update on my noted problem in the OP.

A tech came out and noticed I had several "gateways" listed on the problem computer which he deleted and resolved the assignment to the unprotected "gateway" because now I only have one "gateway" listed. I don't know how I acquired these other "gateways".

I started to have TV issues yesterday which rushed an order for the tech visit. He changed out my modem box to a newer version which is more secure for internet, TV etc., and provides more things (it's more on their end for remote fixing etc.).

He did state that ATT no longer supports my XP machine and if the problem would have been diagnosed to be the machine, they would no longer be able to help.

It's been a couple hours and everything works fine. Again. thanks to all for the suggestions provided yesterday. Btw, they explained how the ethernet cable suggestion would have worked.