PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Virgin

upthecreek
02-07-2016, 03:24 PM
I just purchased my 1st laptop,be arriving in a couple days I have a few questions
1)Should I shut windows down first then power of the laptop or set it to shut down and power off when I close the lid
2) Should I invest in a wireless mouse
3)I'll be using on my desk near a power source Should I always used it plugged in or use it off the battery as well?
Thnx :ThmbUp:

ldiatone
02-07-2016, 04:26 PM
I just purchased my 1st laptop,be arriv

ing in a couple days I have a few questions
1)Should I shut windows down first then power of the laptop or set it to shut down and power off when I close the lid
3)I'll be using on my desk near a power source Should I always used it plugged in or use it off the battery as well?
1) i hibernate mine
2)yes
3)i have mine plugged in all the time. My wife's also. but my tablet plugged in when its low.
i also have a 20" monitor plugged in along with a printer, head phones, and a keyboard. so my lap top is closed and just carries the internet

Actor
02-07-2016, 08:05 PM
I just purchased my 1st laptop,be arriving in a couple days I have a few questions

1) I have no opinion either way.
2) Definitely.
3) I think it's best to never run the battery completely down so I always connect mine to a power source if possible. There are times when there is no power source or it's inconvenient.

headhawg
02-07-2016, 09:04 PM
1) If you're going to shut down, then yes, Windows first then power off.
2) If you are used to a mouse then yes; otherwise use the touchpad.
3) Read the owner's manual for best practice. Read this as well: Laptop Battery Info (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/leave-laptop-plugged-time/)

Dave Schwartz
02-07-2016, 10:39 PM
1) i hibernate mine
2)yes
3)i have mine plugged in all the time. My wife's also. but my tablet plugged in when its low.

My precise answers match these.

tupper
02-08-2016, 12:10 AM
Don't leave your laptop "on" all of the time.

upthecreek
02-08-2016, 06:04 AM
Thanks guys! :ThmbUp:

LottaKash
02-08-2016, 10:53 AM
UTC, you asked about a "wireless mouse", so I will give you my take on a really good one...

I have a Logitech M705, which came bundled with the MK700/MK710 wireless keyboard set, which by the way is a great keyboard as well...

They are both Bluetooth/wireless...

More importantly tho, the M705 Mouse is available separately...

My wife has one for her laptop as well...She tried the smaller laptop-style mice, but they didn't cut it...

The M705 can be programmed thru the software in different ways, and it's ergonomics is second to none, imo...

Has great forward and back buttons that are a breeze to use, and has nice scrolling features...

It comes with a miniature dongle that plugs in unobtrusively in any usb 2 or 3 port...

And, the batteries last forever, it seems....It shuts down automatically when not in use after awhile...

I have tried other Bluetooth mice, this one is my keeper..

Hoofless_Wonder
02-08-2016, 01:56 PM
I've always needed to use a mouse with a laptop. Much, much faster than trying to use the touchpad or steering button in the middle of the keypad.

Whenever I buy a new battery powered device, I also like to run it through several cycles of almost completely depleting the charge, and then charging it back up to 100%. I read somewhere that this prolonged the life of the battery and allowed it to hold a somewhat larger charge. Not sure if that's true or not, but it's not much effort to do it up front. My first couple of laptops did have battery issues after a few years, with my Dell going from 97% to 21% to OFF within a few minutes if I unplugged the power cord.

Flysofree
02-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Since yours is brand new it may be different than my 4+ year old Toshiba laptop. But as far as the battery, it should not be left plugged in when the charge reaches 100%. But now yours may be different and not cause any harm to the battery if left in. I take mine out at about 85-90% charge and just use the power cord.
Would like to know if yours can be safely left in all the time? I was looking at one the other day in the store and the battery seemed locked in forever..

upthecreek
02-08-2016, 03:08 PM
There is nothing wrong with using a laptop with the battery unplugged, but it is completely useless (except of course if you have some specific reason for removing the battery, like it being dead, lending it to a friend, you want to make your laptop lighter, etc.)

I am sorry but the "battery usage practices" you follow are myths. Some of those practices are and always have been simply false information. Some of them were helpful ten years ago with Ni-MH batteries but are totally useless or even harmful on modern lithium-based batteries.

Keeping the battery plugged, or unplugged, or whatever is useless
Keeping the charged battery in with the AC adapted plugged is perfectly fine. With modern chargers and control electronics, it amounts to the exactly the same thing as storing it charged separately from the computer.
Incomplete charge and discharges are perfectly fine. They are actually better for the batteries than full charge/discharge cycles.
Totally charging the battery is useless
Completely discharging the battery should be avoided if possible. Actually, totally discharging the battery cells is extremely harmful to the battery and can cause severe and irreversible capacity loss, but the control electronics in batteries won't let you do that, they will stop the power output before the battery is completely discharged precisely to avoid that problem. (On the other hand, if you discharge a battery then store it empty for an extended period of time, then the problem may manifest and damage your battery.)

upthecreek
02-08-2016, 03:19 PM
The above wasn't directed at anybody here It was an answer to a similar question in a how to forum! Lol I didn't want anybody to get the wrong idea

Flysofree
02-08-2016, 03:31 PM
UPthecreek... If I understand you correctly, there is no harm in leaving a fully charged battery plugged in?

upthecreek
02-08-2016, 03:49 PM
UPthecreek... If I understand you correctly, there is no harm in leaving a fully charged battery plugged in?
That's what I think the so called expert is saying It doesn't hurt lithium batteries I'd like to hear others opinions

LottaKash
02-08-2016, 04:28 PM
That's what I think the so called expert is saying It doesn't hurt lithium batteries I'd like to hear others opinions

My wife has a lithium-ion battery equipped laptop, and she has left in plugged IN and ON for the past 4years....No glitches so far..

upthecreek
02-08-2016, 04:39 PM
My wife has a lithium-ion battery equipped laptop, and she has left in plugged IN and ON for the past 4years....No glitches so far..
OK good to know Thanks

upthecreek
02-08-2016, 05:19 PM
leaving it plugged in is perfectly fine as the laptop will stop drawing power when the battery is fully charged, contrary to popular belief that it will somehow damage/degrade battery life

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2016, 12:44 PM
There is nothing wrong with using a laptop with the battery unplugged, but it is completely useless (except of course if you have some specific reason for removing the battery, like it being dead, lending it to a friend, you want to make your laptop lighter, etc.)

I am sorry but the "battery usage practices" you follow are myths. Some of those practices are and always have been simply false information. Some of them were helpful ten years ago with Ni-MH batteries but are totally useless or even harmful on modern lithium-based batteries.

Keeping the battery plugged, or unplugged, or whatever is useless
Keeping the charged battery in with the AC adapted plugged is perfectly fine. With modern chargers and control electronics, it amounts to the exactly the same thing as storing it charged separately from the computer.
Incomplete charge and discharges are perfectly fine. They are actually better for the batteries than full charge/discharge cycles.
Totally charging the battery is useless
Completely discharging the battery should be avoided if possible. Actually, totally discharging the battery cells is extremely harmful to the battery and can cause severe and irreversible capacity loss, but the control electronics in batteries won't let you do that, they will stop the power output before the battery is completely discharged precisely to avoid that problem. (On the other hand, if you discharge a battery then store it empty for an extended period of time, then the problem may manifest and damage your battery.)I just bought a brand spanking new laptop, and the manufacture on its website states you should let it discharge to 10% or less at least once a month...this isn't some fly-by-night company either...Microsoft

forced89
02-09-2016, 03:56 PM
FWIW I have an old ASUS X54C. Best I can tell it runs down to about 95% charged, then automatically recharges itself.