PDA

View Full Version : The G1 Donn Handicap

Lemon Drop Husker
02-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Now this is what horse racing is all about. Not the biggest of fields, but competitive throughout and offers up a great wagering opportunity to the horse player. A fantastic race.

:1: Madefromlucky: Interesting note is that all 4 of his career wins have come at 1 1/16th. Unfortunately for MFL, he'll have to travel 9 panels to get the win here. While a talented colt, he really hasn't put it all together when facing the toughest of competition. A big fan of this one, is he ready to take the next step? Probably the horse with the most on the line with regards to his connections and where he moves next.

:2: Closing Bell: The lone "stretch" in the field looks to be up against it in here. Switches from turf to dirt, takes on the Gulfstream surface for the first time, and looks to be pace challenged. If you 'cap solely based upon recent bullet works, then this is your guy. Otherwise, this one is really tough to see being any part of this one.

:3: Mshawish: Turf? Dirt? Doesn't matter for this Graded Stakes veteran as he put any doubts away with his win in the Hal's Hope as to whether the switch to dirt was the right move. It took a while to recover from his trip to Dubai, but all seems to be well now. Some concern as he is stretching out to his longest distance ever traveled, but he does like to come late, so I'm considering it a slight concern. A major player with major connections in Pletcher/Velazquez. Of note is that Castellano is getting on the :6: Keen Ice.

:4: Valid: This 11 time winner has won 3 of his last 5 and is training extremely well. Nipped by :3: Mshawish in his last, but always seems to bring his A game every time to the track. Distance is the huge question here as he'll be on the lead looking to wire this field. Even if you don't like on top, an almost must include on all exotic tickets and a horse that can steal this one on the front end if he is let loose on an easy early lead.

:5: Mexikoma: Dangerous horse that can run big. A lightly raced 5 year old that has been spotted well throughout his career, and when he is right, he is right. Either way, this is probably the toughest field he has ever faced. I love me some Corey Lanerie, and this one is going to be overlooked amid other big name horses in here. Can upset the apple cart in here.

:6: Keen Ice: Any horse that can claim a win over American Pharoah has to pique your interest. Coming in off of a much needed layoff, he is training well, and looks to be ready for a big time effort. This one looks to be a big time player in the older male division in his 4YO season, and nothing would be more of a pronouncement than a win here today. Major contender that will be coming late.

:7: Itsaknockout: He was an interesting player at one time on the Kentucky Derby trail last year. After a huge layoff, he returned to beat optional claimers last out and now takes a huge step up in class. ML of 4/1 seems a bit eager, and I highly doubt he goes off that low. Connections are solid, and this has long been a "what if" colt. He is the horse in this field that you'll kick yourself if you exclude from tickets.

:8: Financial Modeling: A new, and big time player to the older male division has really put things together over the past year. While this is a massive step up in class, he is as ready as ever to take on this kind of field. In my opinion this is the biggest question mark in the field with regards to pace, and he could make or break for a number of others. Will he be sent to challenge :4: Valid? Can he sit and stalk against these? Even if you don't like, he has to be a huge consideration in how this race plays out. A massive wildcard.

WP: :1:
EX: :1::6: Box
TRI: :1::6:/:1::4::6:/:1::3::4::5::6:

olddaddy
02-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Closing Bell fits in the GPTurf but chooses to run in the Don. I'll be on it.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-06-2016, 11:09 AM
Closing Bell fits in the GPTurf but chooses to run in the Don. I'll be on it.

OK.

All ears. :2: Closing Bell is 2 for 7, spanked last out and is coming in off a long layoff. Only wins are a Maiden and at Kentucky Downs in well paid races. Both on turf.

Mott/Lezcano are decent connections, but how is this horse going to beat these, much less hit the board?

highnote
02-06-2016, 11:10 AM
I won a bet on Pistols and Roses in this race back in 1994 using a Mark Cramer "Kinky Handicapping" angle.

I can't remember the exact name of the angle nor the exact qualifications. I think it was called the "Overachiever". A horse has won at long odds in the past and is long odds again today over the same track.

Pistols and Roses had won the 1993 Donn at long odds. In the 1994 Donn his performance a year earlier was buried in the past performances. Back then DRF only showed the past 10 races. His 1993 Donn might have been 11 back. I had a database of past performances that I was able to query and see a horse's lifetime past performances.

I seem to recall that his odds in 1994 were 13-1.

So maybe look at Formulator and see if you can find a similar pattern. It might work.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-06-2016, 11:17 AM
I won a bet on Pistols and Roses in this race back in 1994 using a Mark Cramer "Kinky Handicapping" angle.

I can't remember the exact name of the angle nor the exact qualifications. I think it was called the "Overachiever". A horse has won at long odds in the past and is long odds again today over the same track.

Pistols and Roses had won the 1993 Donn at long odds. In the 1994 Donn his performance a year earlier was buried in the past performances. Back then DRF only showed the past 10 races. His 1993 Donn might have been 11 back. I had a database of past performances that I was able to query and see a horse's lifetime past performances.

I seem to recall that his odds in 1994 were 13-1.

So maybe look at Formulator and see if you can find a similar pattern. It might work.

So you are saying a 1 for 22 pattern on Formulator is what I should be looking for in this one?

azeri98
02-06-2016, 11:19 AM
I like the :7: here at a price, if I can get 4-1 or higher, no doubt, its a tough race to handicap.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-06-2016, 11:21 AM
I like the :7: here at a price, if I can get 4-1 or higher, no doubt, its a tough race to handicap.

Gotta believe he'll go off at 6/1 or higher. His ML is a joke.

porkchop
02-06-2016, 11:50 AM
LIKE VALID #4 WP EX 3 4 / 1 3 4 6 7

GLTA

azeri98
02-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Gotta believe he'll go off at 6/1 or higher. His ML is a joke.
Its because of his last race and his trainer.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Its because of his last race and his trainer.

He beat nobody, and Pletcher has 2 others in here.

ebcorde
02-06-2016, 11:55 AM
6-3 Keen Ice!!!!!

johnhannibalsmith
02-06-2016, 12:02 PM
I don't know if I can bring myself to bet him unless he's double-digits at post time, but I can't shake away from :4: Valid.

His 12-6-3-1 record at GP and the possibility that every trainer will make a point of reminding their jock not to get burned up by the sprinter - plus the fact that I'm doubtful he's as low as his 6-1 M/L - makes him alluring to me for some reason.

Two very rapid three-eighths coming into this leads me to believe they are going for switchblade sharp and actually want to try to steal it. There are a few others that I think have a better chance of winning, but I see 10-1 or thereabouts here and as the one you have to get past to win and a near 33% win rate over a 34 race career and about 70% ITM, that means he isn't inclined to just lay down for the hell of it. Damn, now maybe I like the race a little more.

Secondbest
02-06-2016, 12:25 PM
I agree with all you said plus valid is an in form 6 yr old gelding these tend to keep their form
I like him to win with the 1 underneath

Lemon Drop Husker
02-06-2016, 12:43 PM
I agree with all you said plus valid is an in form 6 yr old gelding these tend to keep their form
I like him to win with the 1 underneath

Methinks you'll get a good price on a damn good horse.

highnote
02-06-2016, 12:49 PM
So you are saying a 1 for 22 pattern on Formulator is what I should be looking for in this one?

Just passing along a story about a Mark Cramer angle that worked in this race the only time I ever bet the race.

What do you mean by 1 for 22 pattern?

Lemon Drop Husker
02-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Just passing along a story about a Mark Cramer angle that worked in this race the only time I ever bet the race.

What do you mean by 1 for 22 pattern?\

1994 is 22 years ago, right?

Secondbest
02-06-2016, 01:17 PM
Methinks you'll get a good price on a damn good horse.
Let's hope so

highnote
02-06-2016, 02:38 PM
\

1994 is 22 years ago, right?

Yes, but that doesn't mean this angle has been present in all 22 years.

I just wanted to pass along that it worked the one time I handicapped and bet the race. Maybe it will work again?

Robert Fischer
02-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Two horses that I want to lean against here; :6: Keen Ice, and :4: Valid.

Keen Ice needs a setup, IMO, even vs this bunch. I think he'll be underlaid based on his Travers score.

Valid surged to great position last time on the turn, but his lack of a right-lead could hurt him today with a jockey change and perhaps less of a forwardly placed dream trip.

:3: Mshawish looks strong.

:1: MadefromLucky is solid enough to hit the board and I think he could have a better opportunity relative to Valid today.

:7: Itsaknockout and :8: Financial Modeling are both types that could run well if they have a smooth trip.

:5: Mexikoma isn't big on my 'win radar' but could land somehwere in the super at a square value, should one of the more 'interesting' types above peter-out.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Two horses that I want to lean against here; :6: Keen Ice, and :4: Valid.

Keen Ice needs a setup, IMO, even vs this bunch. I think he'll be underlaid based on his Travers score.

Valid surged to great position last time on the turn, but his lack of a right-lead could hurt him today with a jockey change and perhaps less of a forwardly placed dream trip.

:3: Mshawish looks strong.

:1: MadefromLucky is solid enough to hit the board and I think he could have a better opportunity relative to Valid today.

:7: Itsaknockout and :8: Financial Modeling are both types that could run well if they have a smooth trip.

:5: Mexikoma isn't big on my 'win radar' but could land somehwere in the super at a square value, should one of the more 'interesting' types above peter-out.

You cancelled the entire field other than :2:

Is the :2: your winner?

Kash$
02-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Financial Modeling Win

Exacta box FM and Mexikoma

Robert Fischer
02-06-2016, 05:46 PM

I like the 3 to win and I think 1,5,7,8 offer some value in vertical exotics.

Tee
02-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Let's see if :7: Itsaknockout is back or not.

Like the price on :1: Madefromlucky way better.

Nitro
02-06-2016, 05:56 PM
GP

R# 13 - 8-6 W/7-3-4

GL

Secondbest
02-06-2016, 06:06 PM
I like the 3 to win and I think 1,5,7,8 offer some value in vertical exotics.
Good call. I thought Valid could turn the tables but as usual I was secondbest.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-06-2016, 06:06 PM
:3::4::5:

I can't 'cap shit.

Robert Fischer
02-06-2016, 06:09 PM

http://s21.postimg.org/dd521icsn/12669293_1729272357303064_1808168998_o_jpg_oh_e0.j pg (http://postimage.org/)

valid keeps beating me, but I'll take it

Nitro
02-06-2016, 06:11 PM
GP

R# 13 - 8-6 W/7-3-4

GL

Results

R# 13 = 3-4-5-7-8 - Nothing in that one –Both Winner & Placer got the late action.
The #8 choice couldn’t hang on & the favorite ran out

azeri98
02-06-2016, 06:13 PM
:3: Could be better on dirt than turf, if he goes to Dubai its going to be a great race. Keen Ice needs every bit of a mile and a quarter, even then its iffy. Madefromlucky is not grade 1 caliber. Itsaknockout and Financial Modeling I am keeping my eye on the both ran pretty good races in losing efforts.

PhantomOnTour
02-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Lucky is the one for me, so all you guys who like him as well are DOOMED!!

PhantomOnTour
02-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Lucky is the one for me, so all you guys who like him as well are DOOMED!!
i post 45mins after the race is run and still pick the last place horse :faint:
:D

ultracapper
02-06-2016, 09:13 PM
i post 45mins after the race is run and still pick the last place horse :faint:
:D

Your doomed assessment was spot on however.