PDA

View Full Version : Mahoning

mountainman
02-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Attend races there 2 or 3x a week. Could play from home , but love reconnecting with old pals and enjoy live experience. Have done pretty well, and pools strike me as just a tad stupid.

Any serious players here who have embraced this track? Other than Ron, who puts out an excellent tip sheet.

wisconsin
02-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Been playing supers there, seems to be real dumb money in those pools, have had some real kiss payoffs.

arw629
02-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Attend races there 2 or 3x a week. Could play from home , but love reconnecting with old pals and enjoy live experience. Have done pretty well, and pools strike me as just a tad stupid.

Any serious players here who have embraced this track? Other than Ron, who puts out an excellent tip sheet.

I agree with this comment 100%. I don't get to come as much as I do with work but anytime I have a short day or an off day I head that way. The regulars there are the same people that hung out at the meadows otb in new Castle before it closed...so much personality as is with any racetrack...do you or anyone else on here that attends regularly know what happened to the Bug Stomper? I still see his old man in there but they black listed him for good last summer after having enough of his shenanigans...supposedly woodbine s tote delayed and he had hit a pick 4 for a few hundred and called the teller a fat ****** ****** ****....that had to have been like his 12th strike..i miss listening to his arguments with much the best guy

schweitz
02-05-2016, 04:53 PM
Love this track---I only play the pick 4s.

appistappis
02-05-2016, 08:22 PM
I play it every day.....great bias changes and you better know your trainers.

rrpic6
02-05-2016, 10:56 PM
Been playing supers there, seems to be real dumb money in those pools, have had some real kiss payoffs.

Saturdays are a good day to play MVRC as the simulcast handle goes down from the weekdays due to obvious money being played at major tracks. The on site handle and crowds are great on Saturdays with "less informed" money filling the pools. The novice fans are nice to see for many reasons. The 10 cent super bet is a hit there. However many are newbies and like to box 4 horses for a $2.40 bet. So a 1/2 is not keyed, its lumped in with a 20-1 that has a name someone likes. I encourage knowledgeable players to pay attention as there are many opportunities to make some decent money.

RR

HorsemenHeist
02-06-2016, 01:56 AM
I guess I must just not know how to handicap this track, but it has been miserable for me the couple times I bet the place. It is even more unpredictable than Mountaineer. Most of the time you can't trust the favorite with a 10 foot pole, at least the ones i bet lol. For those that just use the DRF, how do you find these prices that come in? Most of the 10/1+ winners that win there, I couldn't pick in a 1 horse race.

rrpic6
02-06-2016, 03:09 AM
I guess I must just not know how to handicap this track, but it has been miserable for me the couple times I bet the place. It is even more unpredictable than Mountaineer. Most of the time you can't trust the favorite with a 10 foot pole, at least the ones i bet lol. For those that just use the DRF, how do you find these prices that come in? Most of the 10/1+ winners that win there, I couldn't pick in a 1 horse race.

If you use BRIS PP's, the summary page will show the percentage of favorites winning at each condition. You'd be surprised that each category is quite high. Ohio Bred claiming races are the lowest at around 11%, But Ohio Bred Opt Cl/Allowance are about 46%. Most seem to be in the 26-38% range. There has been a cycle of Trainers getting hot then not. Joe Poole is the latest to be hot. Nabu Morales and Dominic Giglio are well over 50% in 2016. They might only have 1 or 2 horses a week entered and all are placed in a spot to win.

RR

raybo
02-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Since January 9th at MVR, I have a top ranked horse win hit rate of 38.2% and an ROI of 1.23. Really like the average odds I'm getting on my top ranked horses! Passing all "MClm" races, "GD" and "MY" surfaces.

GlenninOhio
02-06-2016, 06:21 PM
I've posted at times in the past, but probably not for a couple of years or so.

I think I got too caught up in the emotion of some of the more controversial threads, and I know Mike probably grew weary of my PM's about certain threads going too far in the "attack dog" department.

But all this personal windbag stuff aside, this thread - right here - exemplifies what I feel makes this a greast site (as in #1, with no #2), beginning with Mountainman as OP.

So kudos (and best regards) to all you folks, and. most of all, to Mike - who made it all possible and who makes it all work.

Glenn

mountainman
02-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Saturdays are a good day to play MVRC as the simulcast handle goes down from the weekdays due to obvious money being played at major tracks. The on site handle and crowds are great on Saturdays with "less informed" money filling the pools. The novice fans are nice to see for many reasons. The 10 cent super bet is a hit there. However many are newbies and like to box 4 horses for a $2.40 bet. So a 1/2 is not keyed, its lumped in with a 20-1 that has a name someone likes. I encourage knowledgeable players to pay attention as there are many opportunities to make some decent money.

RR

Onsite money is unsophisticated and serious players from computerland have yet to embrace Mahoning.

By the way, I heard a fan praise your sheet today.

On an unrelated note, Mahoning obviously cards their worst races on Saturdays, when the competition from other tracks is stiffest. And there is merit to that approach. We do likewise at Mnr. But Austintown overdoes it. WAY overdoes it. Today's sizable crowd deserved better.

mountainman
02-06-2016, 09:41 PM
I've posted at times in the past, but probably not for a couple of years or so.

I think I got too caught up in the emotion of some of the more controversial threads, and I know Mike probably grew weary of my PM's about certain threads going too far in the "attack dog" department.

But all this personal windbag stuff aside, this thread - right here - exemplifies what I feel makes this a greast site (as in #1, with no #2), beginning with Mountainman as OP.

So kudos (and best regards) to all you folks, and. most of all, to Mike - who made it all possible and who makes it all work.

Glenn

Glad to see you back, pal. Dare I ask what "OP" is? Do I WANT to know? lol

Stillriledup
02-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Glad to see you back, pal. Dare I ask what "OP" is? Do I WANT to know? lol

Means original poster (person who started the thread)

mountainman
02-06-2016, 10:33 PM
Means original poster (person who started the thread)

tx, sir...was rooting against oblivious pinhead

AlbertButtry
02-07-2016, 06:28 AM
tx, sir...was rooting against oblivious pinhead

I wish I would have seen you. I usually go play the races and then watch them from home. I took off after the first. Let me know next time you're going up on a Saturday.

mountainman
02-07-2016, 09:55 AM
I wish I would have seen you. I usually go play the races and then watch them from home. I took off after the first. Let me know next time you're going up on a Saturday.

Absolutely. Would enjoy hanging out. Your dad gave me a winner a few days ago.

rrpic6
02-07-2016, 10:19 AM
Onsite money is unsophisticated and serious players from computerland have yet to embrace Mahoning.

By the way, I heard a fan praise your sheet today.

On an unrelated note, Mahoning obviously cards their worst races on Saturdays, when the competition from other tracks is stiffest. And there is merit to that approach. We do likewise at Mnr. But Austintown overdoes it. WAY overdoes it. Today's sizable crowd deserved better.

'Cappin Monday's card now. Excellent betting opportunities in every race. The last 5 races have an average of 11 horses! You gotta love that! Race 7 is especially interesting. There is a horse entered that has crossed the finish line 1st twice in his last 4 races but yet to be given any purse money for doing so. Watch replays for clarification.

Take your Super Bowl block pool winnings and get ready to fire into the MVR pools!

Nice to have "a fan"....not a relative BTW. My Brother and his family did go to the racino Friday for dinner tho.

RR

therussmeister
02-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Too bad it looks like wet weather on Monday.