PDA

View Full Version : Playing a race card when it's rainy

grandstander21
02-04-2016, 04:31 PM
How many of you would still play the races at a track where the weather is rainy or if the track is sloppy? Personally, I don't play a race card if it's rainy or if the track condition is sloppy/muddy because it just makes the track a mess and ruins the experience.

Sometimes, a wet track could slow down the pace of a race and it could result in upsets. Also, rainy weather and sloppy conditions results in races being taken off the turf, which raises the number of horses being scratched. Finally, there are a lot of horses who perform better on a dry track than on a wet one. Horses may run very well on a fast track but run badly on sloppy/muddy conditions.

Baron Star Gregg
02-04-2016, 04:38 PM
I'll play a sloppy track. I have an advantage over the people who purchase picks. They will be playing horses selected for a fast track. I will adjust my selections to account for the conditions. Muddy tracks OTOH can be a bit more tricky.

thaskalos
02-04-2016, 04:45 PM
When the track is muddy, I stay home...where it's safe.

Redboard
02-04-2016, 05:17 PM
The off-the-turf races where the field size drops from, for example, 12 to 5, I stay far away from. However, the dirt races , if there are not too many scratches, can be interesting.

VeryOldMan
02-04-2016, 05:33 PM

What he said :)

With the takeout levels, this game is very hard to beat under the best of circumstances. Unless you have a proven angle re off tracks . . . .

I'm just a recreational player. I avoid off tracks like a vampire re sunlight because I have absolutely no possible knowledge that could help me once the track is something other than fast. Other's mileage may vary, and that's fine.

zico20
02-04-2016, 06:41 PM

Agree 100%. My dad always told me if the track is sloppy, go see a show. The only time I will bet an off track is if one horse who I thought was going to win on a fast track moves way up on a sloppy track. If not, I don't ever bet an off track. Of course in the example I gave the horse will probably be pounded way below what I thought he would go off at.

I remember 25 years ago at Hawthorne there was a horse I really liked, Tri for Charlie. The track came up sloppy and he loved the slop. I thought he was best on a fast track by far. He got completely shut off going around the far turn and lost 5-6 lengths, minimum. He circles the field and draws off to win by 7 or so. He only paid 3.60, but it was one of the easiest bets I have ever made.

EMD4ME
02-04-2016, 07:40 PM
If I see it's going to rain and they are running at Belmont, I find a way to get to the track....

If you know you're home track's bias tendencies before the other's do (like knowing before race 1 and you are betting a pick 5, you have a HUGE edge).

raybo
02-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Speaking of dirt races only, it depends on the track. At many tracks I can play "SY" but no "MY" or "GD", at some I can play "SY" and "MY", but very few tracks allow me to play "GD" surfaces. Also, depending on the track, the day after a "SY" or "MY" day, the surface will be labeled "FT" when in fact it plays as bad as, or worse than "GD" (DeD, EvD, FG for instance).

At most tracks, if I can make profit on a "FT" I can also make profit on "SY".

On turf, it is rare for me to be able to play profitably on any "off" track.

PhantomOnTour
02-04-2016, 09:10 PM
People are ALWAYS playing the race card!!!
:rolleyes: :D

raybo
02-04-2016, 10:44 PM
People are ALWAYS playing the race card!!!
:rolleyes: :D

I believe most people here know that "playing" means "betting real money" in playable races on the card. So, there's really no reason for sarcasm.

PhantomOnTour
02-04-2016, 11:20 PM
I believe most people here know that "playing" means "betting real money" in playable races on the card. So, there's really no reason for sarcasm.
I bet you're a lot of fun to be around...oh wait, more unnecessary sarcasm
:D
"Lighten up Francis"
-Sgt Hulka

rastajenk
02-05-2016, 07:18 AM
That's the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title. :cool:

burnsy
02-05-2016, 07:42 AM
If I see it's going to rain and they are running at Belmont, I find a way to get to the track....

If you know you're home track's bias tendencies before the other's do (like knowing before race 1 and you are betting a pick 5, you have a HUGE edge).

Agree, I like them too. Even the off the turf races with short fields. This is where being flexible really helps. Many public handicappers' and the public itself are not very good at adjusting. Once I can hash out the bias, I'm all over it. The other factor is people stay on the horses that would of been the logical choices.

One of my friends has a joke that they call Burnsy over the PA when NYRA has a sloppy track. I've crushed those races so many times.............if one can bend a little and make adjustments, it can be a great day to take advantage of. At Saratoga a good percentage of the winners come off the MTO list, but many times its not the most obvious one.

Sir Barton
02-05-2016, 11:59 AM
I have learned to pass these cards. Just can't win. Fast and firm is tough enough for me.

RaceBookJoe
02-05-2016, 08:10 PM
I don't mind sloppy tracks, but not a fan of muddy/heavy. Things I look for are trainers who add mud caulks on these days. I also look at the turf race main-track only also eligibles. Overall I tend to lean towards front running types, but still handicap as normal as I can.

ebcorde
02-05-2016, 08:33 PM
I switch to wet speed figs. Off the Turf is trickier, most likely I will skip all those.

Also one has to be more Race selective.

I look for top early speed Horses with the better/Best wet speed figures , I don't want mud kicked in my Horse's face, I want my Horse to kick mud in the other guy's face.