PDA

View Full Version : Showdown at the Spa

karlskorner
06-22-2004, 09:32 AM
http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=23014

OTM Al
06-22-2004, 11:54 AM
Nice thought if it was a real rivalry ala Alydar and Affirmed, but that just isn't the case here. Birstone is a nice horse, but not a real top 5 in his group. If his connections wanted to take on Smarty so bad, I'm sure there will be plenty of open spots in the Penn derby, where Smarty has always been intended for. Seriously, the second spot should be wide open for him in a 750,000 race instead of finishing completely off the board in the Travers, which he will more than likely. The next best horse in PA will likely be Little Matth Man, so Smarty should get a real nice romp for the home fans, which I'm all for to tell the truth. I think its great they are going to run him back there one more time for the local fans. Sure he'll go off about 1-20, but so what. Smarty will likely be in the Jockey Club GC and the BC, so Birdstone can go after him there just as easy. Hope his jock has a nice view from about 15 lengths back....

DeoVolente
06-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Would it be too much to expect NYRA to throw some money at the Chapmans to get their horse to the Travers?

Valuist
06-22-2004, 12:31 PM
I think SJ runs in the PA Derby, it will be a waste. Its doubtful anyone will make him breathe hard in a race like that. For races like the KY Derby and BC Classic, the best preparation is a couple of hard preps to get battle tested. That will not happen at Pha.

Valuist
06-22-2004, 12:33 PM
I think SJ runs in the PA Derby, it will be a waste. Its doubtful anyone will make him breathe hard in a race like that. For races like the KY Derby and BC Classic, the best preparation is a couple of hard preps to get battle tested. I think the best preparation would be two New York races against older horses.

Sorry for the double post; it was meant to be an edit.