PDA

View Full Version : Robert B Lewis Stakes

PowerUpPaynter
02-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Interested to see Mor Spirit make his 3 year old debut

letswastemoney
02-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Go Uncle Lino!!!
https://www.ladyandthetrack.com/news/14605/uncle-lino-can-upset-mor-spirit-in-robert-b-lewis.html

Parson
02-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Here are the bris pps for the Robert B Lewis, I would like to read anyone's thoughts.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-04-2016, 06:00 PM
I'd like to play the :1: Let's Meet in Rio after playing him in the Sham, but I just see him as a notch or two below others in here.

Really looks to set up for the :5: Mor Spirit as he should get a hot pace in front of him, and he has shown the ability to rate and pounce. Best horse in the field and it looks to be a perfect pace set up for him.

The :3: Dressed in Hermes is the interesting horse in here to me. Has shown speed, and can also come from off the pace which looks to be the set up he'll get here and where he has had his most success. His race in the BC Juvenile Turf wasn't too bad and he rallied to win his next out. The turf to dirt move is a giant question mark as his lone dirt race was less than stellar, but at least it was against Exaggerator who is a pretty good colt. Bejarano is the best jockey on the premises, so he'll likely get the most out of this guy if he takes to the surface.

azeri98
02-04-2016, 06:28 PM
I'm not sold on Mor Spirit yet,Toews on Ice's race at OP didn't flatter him, I will try to beat him with the :1:

raybo
02-04-2016, 08:39 PM
I'd like to play the :1: Let's Meet in Rio after playing him in the Sham, but I just see him as a notch or two below others in here.

Really looks to set up for the :5: Mor Spirit as he should get a hot pace in front of him, and he has shown the ability to rate and pounce. Best horse in the field and it looks to be a perfect pace set up for him.

The :3: Dressed in Hermes is the interesting horse in here to me. Has shown speed, and can also come from off the pace which looks to be the set up he'll get here and where he has had his most success. His race in the BC Juvenile Turf wasn't too bad and he rallied to win his next out. The turf to dirt move is a giant question mark as his lone dirt race was less than stellar, but at least it was against Exaggerator who is a pretty good colt. Bejarano is the best jockey on the premises, so he'll likely get the most out of this guy if he takes to the surface.

I agree, Mor Spirit is the horse to beat, best class, won at SA in a mile race, has won at the distance, tied for best speed. E/P horse who can lead/stalk/press. Good post. I expect a decent to fast pace, but Mor Spirit will not be inclined to battle for the lead if the pace is fast. Baffert knows how to bring them to a good performance after a layoff.

The other good horses will have to overcome turf to dirt, or sprint to route.

It's a "no bet" for me, as I can't see anyone beating Mor Spirit and his odds will be too low. Field is too short for a superfecta with him on top.

classhandicapper
02-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Mor Spirit is the likely and deserving favorite, but I don't think the class edge is as large as it looks. The Los Al Futurity was more of a Grade 2 race.

I generally don't like ALW horses trying Graded Stakes (even these early 3yos when the gap isn't very large), but I Will Score is the fastest of them and should shake loose. It will be on Uncle Lino to stay close and keep the pace honest or that one may forget to stop.

raybo
02-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Mor Spirit is the likely and deserving favorite, but I don't think the class edge is as large as it looks. The Los Al Futurity was more of a Grade 2 race.

I generally don't like ALW horses trying Graded Stakes (even these early 3yos when the gap isn't very large), but I Will Score is the fastest of them and should shake loose. It will be on Uncle Lino to stay close and keep the pace honest or that one may forget to stop.

Of course that's a possibility, almost anything is possible in racing, but going from 6.5f to 1m16 is a pretty good jump in distance. In his last race on Jan 3 at SA, the 6f call was 1:08-1, while the 6.5f finish call was 1:15 (almost 7 seconds), and that final 1/2f was running full out. Doesn't look like a finish that sets up well for a stretchout to 1m16. Recent works at 6f looked good, but he still has to stretch out quite a bit. And the odds may not be too appetizing either.

classhandicapper
02-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Of course that's a possibility, almost anything is possible in racing, but going from 6.5f to 1m16 is a pretty good jump in distance. In his last race on Jan 3 at SA, the 6f call was 1:08-1, while the 6.5f finish call was 1:15 (almost 7 seconds), and that final 1/2f was running full out. Doesn't look like a finish that sets up well for a stretchout to 1m16. Recent works at 6f looked good, but he still has to stretch out quite a bit. And the odds may not be too appetizing either.

I agree on the negatives. Personally, the race doesn't look like it will be bettable to me unless there's a bias of some sort.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-06-2016, 11:19 AM
I agree on the negatives. Personally, the race doesn't look like it will be bettable to me unless there's a bias of some sort.

The :3:.

But has to be at 6/1 or 7/1 or better.

Baron Star Gregg
02-06-2016, 12:06 PM
I see :5: running down :2: (he's got enough distance in his pedigree) late with :1: picking up the pieces.

raybo
02-06-2016, 12:39 PM
It looks like the M/L is pretty much spot on, so if you can't beat these odds, win betting is probably not a good idea in this race.

ML/Horse#/RS-ESP/Name
6-----1-------S 0----LET'S MEET IN RIO
2.5---2-------E 8----I WILL SCORE
6-----3-------S 1----DRESSED IN HERMES
12----4-------S 3----LAOBAN
1.6---5-------E/P 2--MOR SPIRIT
8-----6-------S 0----PATH OF DAVID
5-----7-------E 6----UNCLE LINO

raybo
02-06-2016, 12:55 PM
I see :5: running down :2: (he's got enough distance in his pedigree) late with :1: picking up the pieces.

Yeah, I see the 5 sitting about 3rd through the 2nd call, then less than a length at the stretch call, and out-finishing everyone. 2 and 7 might hook up early and doom their chances of going the route distance.

The problem with trying to predict the early pace picture in this race is that several have never run routes, so the connections could decide to run a different running style in this race because of the added distance.

raybo
02-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Could come down to this (horse rankings from my program):

Class >>>>> 5 3 1 4 7 2
Distance >>> 5 1 3 4 6
Class/Dist. >> 5 3 1 4 2

Speed Figure
02-06-2016, 02:10 PM
Looks like a possible pace meltdown, but were talking about Santa Anita here! The :1: and the :5: are the only two with a win around two turns and the :1: will be a much better price over the :5:.

Michael
02-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Personally, the race doesn't look like it will be bettable to me unless there's a bias of some sort.

Looked at this race earlier in the week and said the same. I had virtual stable'd "Let's meet in Rio" after his run in the Sham. Just can't justify wagering on him here.

I'll be sitting on the sidelines and watching Rio as a fan. IF I was going to bet the race, my value line was:

#5 most likely over bet
#2 @ 5/1
#7 @ 6/1
#3 @ 9/1

Tee
02-06-2016, 05:10 PM
:2: I Will Score looks good to me after the scratch of Laoban.

Am very interested in :6: Path of David. He should handle the surface change & should definitely handle any type of distance. Let's see if he has any quality at all, if he is better than his big brother - look out.

Kash$
02-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Mor Spirit reminds me of AP INDY just grinds you down without much effort.Kicked in gear without Stevens asking for much..

Timeformus 2 year old figures

87-90-109

3 year old figure

azeri98
02-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Mor Spirit reminds me of AP INDY just grinds you down without much effort.Kicked in gear without Stevens asking for much..

Timeformus 2 year old figures

87-90-109

3 year old figure

It was a slow race.

PowerUpPaynter
02-06-2016, 11:56 PM
I think Mor Spirit is a step below the top tier horses

f2tornado
02-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Was not impressed with final time. It would translate to around 149.8 with extra half panel. Santa Anita horses generally don't win roses without breaking 148 at 9F. Roman gave it a -15 PF which is also quite underwhelming.

Secondbest
02-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Wow. A -15 is really weak. How bad was the competition in that race.

f2tornado
02-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Wow. A -15 is really weak. How bad was the competition in that race.

Pretty weak. The speed horse went all the way around before Spirit pulled away in the final half. Spirit did not appear to be fully cranked but was not moving with ease the way Songbird did. Airoforce who beat him last year might be targeting the Risen Star. That could help the big picture. In meantime, I won't be touching Spirit in the Future Wager this week.