PDA

View Full Version : Expense Records

ronestes
02-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Have many of you kept records of your expenses, throughout the years? I started playing the horses 45 years ago. Since 2008 I started keeping expense records, I have spent $18,000 on books, DVD's, software, programs and data. Sounds like a lot, averages out to around $2200 per year, but I've enjoyed the ride, and figured a lot of people spend more then that on their yearly vacations.

thaskalos
02-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Would you care to provide us with some reviews of your purchases? Did they satisfy?

bgbootha
02-01-2016, 02:04 PM
yeah I would love to hear good books and bad books, I have bought many alogn the last few years of this ride as well, some were better than others.

raybo
02-01-2016, 02:28 PM
No visits to the track, so no race related transportation costs, no track parking costs, no track food or drink costs, no track entrance costs, etc.. No racing books bought, no software bought. Data costs are $89 per month for all North American tracks, every day. but that is offset by racing profits. Deposited a total of $400 in my ADW account in 2004, haven't deposited any additional amounts since that year. In other words, racing costs me only time and effort, and provides supplemental income to my retirement income, as well as keeping my mind in good shape and gives me something challenging to do with my time.

Kash$
02-01-2016, 02:57 PM
No visits to the track, so no race related transportation costs, no track parking costs, no track food or drink costs, no track entrance costs, etc.. No racing books bought, no software bought. Data costs are $89 per month for all North American tracks, every day. but that is offset by racing profits. Deposited a total of $400 in my ADW account in 2004, haven't deposited any additional amounts since that year. In other words, racing costs me only time and effort, and provides supplemental income to my retirement income, as well as keeping my mind in good shape and gives me something challenging to do with my time.

Ray you haven't made a deposit in your adw since 2004? That's remarkable

raybo
02-01-2016, 04:55 PM
Ray you haven't made a deposit in your adw since 2004? That's remarkable

No, still operating off of proceeds from that original deposit. I also endured an 80 race losing streak (playing superfectas only) during that 2004 year and still ended the year with a 1.46 ROI.

azeri98
02-01-2016, 05:02 PM
No, still operating off of proceeds from that original deposit. I also endured an 80 race losing streak (playing superfectas only) during that 2004 year and still ended the year with a 1.46 ROI.
Great job :ThmbUp:

ManU918
02-01-2016, 05:13 PM

An overall 1.46 ROI? So you made $5.84 in 2004 from betting on horses?

raybo
02-01-2016, 05:23 PM
An overall 1.46 ROI? So you made $5.84 in 2004 from betting on horses?

Surely you know what "ROI" means in hose racing, so where does your supposition come from? ROI, as you know, is total amount received divided by total amount bet, in this case for the whole year of 2004.

Your post, sir, serves no purpose. If you find it hard to believe a 1.46 ROI, that's on you, and I could not care less anyway.

ManU918
02-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Surely you know what "ROI" means in hose racing, so where does your supposition come from? ROI, as you know, is total amount received divided by total amount bet, in this case for the whole year of 2004.

Your post, sir, serves no purpose. If you find it hard to believe a 1.46 ROI, that's on you, and I could not care less anyway.

LOL... I was messing around but if you want to get serious I guess I'll humor you.

Why would I find a 1.46 ROI hard to believe? Am I supposed to be impressed by that? Before I go any further... I've seen this story before about your deposit into the ADW in 04 and that is a great accomplishment but aren't you the guy who only bets like $6 W/P per race?

ronestes
02-01-2016, 07:00 PM
The best books were Quinn's The Complete Handicapper and Condition books, Jim Lehanes Calibration Handicapping and Paceappraiser book and software.

raybo
02-01-2016, 07:29 PM
LOL... I was messing around but if you want to get serious I guess I'll humor you.

Why would I find a 1.46 ROI hard to believe? Am I supposed to be impressed by that? Before I go any further... I've seen this story before about your deposit into the ADW in 04 and that is a great accomplishment but aren't you the guy who only bets like $6 W/P per race?

If you were messing around then maybe you ought to notate that somehow (smiley faces work pretty good).

Where did you get that I bet $6 W/P? I play win bets as support for my superfecta play (which is where the bulk of my profit comes from). Back in 2004 I was playing supers only, didn't start betting win until my "Black Box" program was created.

Whether or not you are impressed is neither here nor there, but the vast majority of members here think any ROI much over 1.00 is impossible. That's there problem though, right?

ManU918
02-02-2016, 03:07 AM
If you were messing around then maybe you ought to notate that somehow (smiley faces work pretty good).

Where did you get that I bet $6 W/P? I play win bets as support for my superfecta play (which is where the bulk of my profit comes from). Back in 2004 I was playing supers only, didn't start betting win until my "Black Box" program was created.

Whether or not you are impressed is neither here nor there, but the vast majority of members here think any ROI much over 1.00 is impossible. That's there problem though, right?

I would of thought my response was enough to get a laugh instead you took it serious which is even funnier IMO.

The ROI numbers that you or anyone list on this site mean nothing. No offense to you but anyone can sit behind a computer screen and spew off ROI numbers. For all I know you are putting $10K through the windows a year. If that's the case your 1.46 ROI no longer looks appealing. Maybe a 1.46 ROI to the avg member here is appealing but the avg members ROI here doesn't consist of digits it consists of letters... 5 of them and they spell out the word broke.

Alwaysonpoint36
02-02-2016, 10:41 AM

You're still rolling $$ from 12 years ago. Incredible raybo :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Ocala Mike
02-02-2016, 11:00 AM
You're still rolling $$ from 12 years ago. Incredible raybo :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Agree - only profit I've got from a comparable time frame is the $20 bill I found in a pants pocket on a pair of pants I haven't worn since I worked for the State of Florida in 2001. Glad I was cleaning out my closet - LOL.

raybo
02-02-2016, 11:39 AM
I would of thought my response was enough to get a laugh instead you took it serious which is even funnier IMO.

The ROI numbers that you or anyone list on this site mean nothing. No offense to you but anyone can sit behind a computer screen and spew off ROI numbers. For all I know you are putting $10K through the windows a year. If that's the case your 1.46 ROI no longer looks appealing. Maybe a 1.46 ROI to the avg member here is appealing but the avg members ROI here doesn't consist of digits it consists of letters... 5 of them and they spell out the word broke.

Hey, if you were joking, maybe you should refrain from it. It did not appear to be humor. Whatever, it's your post.

Regarding the ROI in 2004, I agree that anyone can post anything, but in this case I posted a screenshot of my ADW account at the time. Like you, there were several who claimed I somehow doctored that screenshot.

Believe what you will, no sweat.

ManU918
02-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Like you, there were several who claimed I somehow doctored that screenshot.

I wasn't even a member here in 2004 so I'm not sure how I claimed you doctored anything. To me its about dollars and cents. A 1.46 ROI means jack if you're putting a minute amount through the windows.

raybo
02-02-2016, 01:10 PM
I wasn't even a member here in 2004 so I'm not sure how I claimed you doctored anything. To me its about dollars and cents. A 1.46 ROI means jack if you're putting a minute amount through the windows.

So, if 1.46 ROI "means jack" to you, then why did you comment in the first place? Just go about your own business.

Cratos
02-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Apparently you do have a "hang up" about ROI and even more than that you are concerned about how much the poster Raybo wagers which is absolutely and emphatically none of your business.

This thread as I read it is about "expenses" which Raybo answered directly and ROI was used in my understanding to buffer his assertion.

raybo
02-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Apparently you do have a "hang up" about ROI and even more than that you are concerned about how much the poster Raybo wagers which is absolutely and emphatically none of your business.

This thread as I read it is about "expenses" which Raybo answered directly and ROI was used in my understanding to buffer his assertion.

It's ok, ROI claims above a couple of points positive always draw negative responses, I'm used to it. The vast majority of players lose money so it's only natural for some of them to claim foul, in one way or another. Unfortunately for them, that doesn't change the facts.

ManU918
02-02-2016, 02:24 PM

LOL...Yea because his redboarding about his one time deposit into an adw in 04, an 80 race losing streak and his ROI that same year all directly relate to the topic at hand. An expense is gas getting to the otb, PPs, etc. I dont believe ROI falls into the expense report category.

I dont care what his ROI is but if someone is going to redboard about an ROI they should follow that up with how much in the black they were. Every now and then ill redboard but at least I show my tickets. But I've also redboarded losers in the bad beat thread and shown tickets there as well.

ManU918
02-02-2016, 02:29 PM
It's ok, ROI claims above a couple of points positive always draw negative responses, I'm used to it. The vast majority of players lose money so it's only natural for some of them to claim foul, in one way or another. Unfortunately for them, that doesn't change the facts.

Im not claiming foul because you claim to be a winner. Im claiming foul because of your redboarding and not fully elaborating on your claimed success.

raybo
02-02-2016, 02:30 PM
LOL...Yea because his redboarding about his one time deposit into an adw in 04, an 80 race losing streak and his ROI that same year all directly relate to the topic at hand. An expense is gas getting to the otb, PPs, etc. I dont believe ROI falls into the expense report category.

I dont care what his ROI is but if someone is going to redboard about an ROI they should follow that up with how much in the black they were. Every now and then ill redboard but at least I show my tickets. But I've also redboarded losers in the bad beat thread and shown tickets there as well.

My posting about ROI and the losing streak was in response to another poster. I would have been perfectly willing to let my original post stand, without further comment. I hate redboarding as much as anyone, but the fact remains that I did post my ADW records in this forum, so, it's not really redboarding, it's fact.

raybo
02-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Im not claiming foul because you claim to be a winner. Im claiming foul because of your redboarding and not fully elaborating on your claimed success.

Oh but you were claiming foul. And what exactly would you like me to elaborate on, this thread is about racing expenses and continuing this line of questioning is distracting to that topic.

Just ignore my ROI post and all of your and my subsequent posts and it's all good. :ThmbUp:

iwearpurple
02-02-2016, 02:35 PM

It appears to me that you have no idea what "ROI" means. If I could make a profit of $4,600 by betting only $10,000, I would be ecstatic (as would the IRS).

raybo
02-02-2016, 02:37 PM
It appears to me that you have no idea what "ROI" means. If I could make a profit of $4,600 by betting only $10,000, I would be ecstatic (as would the IRS).

My last mention on this "off topic" line, I bet a "bit" more than $10k.

duncan04
02-02-2016, 02:56 PM
My last mention on this "off topic" line, I bet a "bit" more than $10k.

If you don't really care, why keep bringing it up?