PDA

View Full Version : Calvin Johnson probably retiring

RXB
02-01-2016, 01:28 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14686284/calvin-johnson-told-detroit-lions-plans-retire

Class act, smart guy, great football player. All the best to him.

barahona44
02-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Truly a freak of nature, built like a linebacker, speedy like a kickoff returner,great hands and leaping ability(Supposedly, he had the longest broad jump on record at the NFL combine) .Also was an star baseball player in high school and wanted to play both sports at Georgia Tech but his parents were concerned about stretching himself too thin.Also didn't have a decent QB until Matthew Stafford arrived. Definitely the best move Matt Millen made when he was GM with Detroit.

MutuelClerk
02-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Mixed feelings on Calvin. He's played through a lot of injuries so you can't say he doesn't care. He is tremendously talented. I question his passion to win. He made a ton of money playing and he deserved all he's received. I've just seen so many moments like the Monday Night game against Seattle this year where his late fumble was the turning point in the game. After the game he's smiling and more interested in swapping jerseys with Richard Sherman than putting his team in a hole they never recovered from. He's a class act off the field and I wish him and his new family nothing but the best. With all the money in the pro sports today it changes the competitive nature of the players today and I think he was one of them.

Valuist
02-01-2016, 09:51 AM
I don't blame him one bit. He's had a lot of relatively minor injuries the past few years. Hopefully he won't be one of those guys with dementia at age 50.

MutuelClerk
02-01-2016, 09:58 AM
Agreed. Don't blame him at all. This is a trend that will soon become an epidemic in the NFL. He has a kid now and obviously being the class guy he is knows where his priorities lie.

azeri98
02-01-2016, 10:19 AM
He is leaving at the right time, injuries have started to erode his skills, 2 years ago he was considered the best WR, is he even top 5 now, I have Odell, Julio, Dez, Jordy and Antonio Brown ahead of him, you could even put AJ Green ahead of him.

MutuelClerk
02-01-2016, 10:42 AM
It's probably no accident that two of the best Lions ever Barry and Calvin retired either in the prime of their careers or just past it. What a sad franchise. At least Calvin notified the Lions before the draft and free agency he was quitting. Unlike Barry.

Stillriledup
02-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Hopefully he's only retiring from the Lions and not from football.

ManU918
02-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Hopefully he's only retiring from the Lions and not from football.

Doubt it... But if I were a team like the Patriots or Seattle I would be on the horn with Calvin's agent asking if a trade was made for Calvin would he be interested in returning next season. They would probably be able to get him on the cheaper side because whats the alternative for the Lions... They get nothing if he retires.

Robert Fischer
02-01-2016, 12:25 PM
He is leaving at the right time, injuries have started to erode his skills, 2 years ago he was considered the best WR, is he even top 5 now, I have Odell, Julio, Dez, Jordy and Antonio Brown ahead of him, you could even put AJ Green ahead of him.

Agreed.

Stillriledup
02-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Doubt it... But if I were a team like the Patriots or Seattle I would be on the horn with Calvin's agent asking if a trade was made for Calvin would he be interested in returning next season. They would probably be able to get him on the cheaper side because whats the alternative for the Lions... They get nothing if he retires.

Good point, they should trade something for his rights in case he has a change of heart. Lions won't ask for much I would guess.

MutuelClerk
02-01-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm pretty sure the Lions still owe him money against the cap retirement or not. They re-did his deal a few times I think.

Secondbest
02-01-2016, 02:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the Lions still owe him money against the cap retirement or not. They re-did his deal a few times I think.
In the NFL you don' t trade players you trade contracts.His cap hit may make a trade Undoable.

delayjf
02-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Is he a free agent this year?

Secondbest
02-02-2016, 05:44 PM
NO

burnsy
02-02-2016, 06:13 PM

In fact I think he has to write a check for about 3 mil to retire.

kingfin66
02-02-2016, 11:42 PM
In fact I think he has to write a check for about 3 mil to retire.

I heard that too. I think 3 mil is in the right ballpark. I also heard that the cap hit if he plays is about 24 mil for 2016, but "only" about 12 mil if he retires.

MutuelClerk
02-18-2016, 06:35 PM
Calvin was the first guy to announce he's retiring this off-season. Why hasn't he made it official? Speculation is this. Lion fans have another week to re-new their season tickets. Management fears if Calvin makes it official before then some of those season ticket holders wont re-up. If this is true and Calvin retires middle of next week after the renewal deadline, I'll lose a lot of respect for him.

tucker6
02-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Calvin was the first guy to announce he's retiring this off-season. Why hasn't he made it official? Speculation is this. Lion fans have another week to re-new their season tickets. Management fears if Calvin makes it official before then some of those season ticket holders wont re-up. If this is true and Calvin retires middle of next week after the renewal deadline, I'll lose a lot of respect for him.
He didn't announce anything at any time.

MutuelClerk
02-18-2016, 09:06 PM
His people leaked it out there. That comes from Calvin.

RXB
03-08-2016, 01:05 PM
He confirmed his retirement today.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14927247/calvin-johnson-detroit-lions-retiring-nfl-nine-seasons

Stillriledup
03-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Another player leaving the game too soon due to the unluck of the draft. But I guess Tom Brady would be just as much of a legend if he was drafted by Cle or Det.

Ok.

cj
03-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Another player leaving the game too soon due to the unluck of the draft. But I guess Tom Brady would be just as much of a legend if he was drafted by Cle or Det.

Ok.

Even more so for elevating those perennial losers to Super Bowl champions!

thaskalos
03-08-2016, 03:26 PM
He confirmed his retirement today.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14927247/calvin-johnson-detroit-lions-retiring-nfl-nine-seasons
Classy to the end. :ThmbUp:

azeri98
03-08-2016, 06:21 PM

Ok.
You keep blasting Brady, name a great receiver that he got to play with other than Moss and that wasn't for very long. He won 3 Super Bowls with a bunch of average receivers.

Stillriledup
03-08-2016, 10:34 PM
You keep blasting Brady, name a great receiver that he got to play with other than Moss and that wasn't for very long. He won 3 Super Bowls with a bunch of average receivers.

The glamour receiver is the guy who can stretch the field and catch 60 yard bombs, guys like Megatron who are granite adonises get all the hype. The little guy like Welker is a pitch and catch 'under the linebackers' receiver, exactly what Brady needed. The Pats don't go out and get Dez Bryant, they go get Danny Amendola and Julien Edelman, both great players who fit perfectly into what the Pats do on offense.
It's not 'blasting' Brady to suggest he wouldn't have had nearly the spectacular career if he was in Det or CLE, which is true for anyone.

azeri98
03-09-2016, 11:41 AM
He did have his best year throwing bombs to Moss, the pitch and catch is only out of necessity because none of those guys can stretch the field, he works with what he's got. If he had a Megatron or Dez he would throw downfield more and probably have even better stats.

Kash$
03-22-2016, 07:45 AM
He will unretired and sign with the Pats

MutuelClerk
03-22-2016, 08:51 AM
I can see him coming back next season. Not sure about the Pats. They don't deserve him. Maybe the Pats can sneak Hernandez outta jail and use him. He's more the Patriot way.

Stillriledup
03-22-2016, 08:30 PM
I can see him coming back next season. Not sure about the Pats. They don't deserve him. Maybe the Pats can sneak Hernandez outta jail and use him. He's more the Patriot way.

Exactly. Funny how we have so called 'sharps' at PA slobbering all over Brady's kneecaps, thanks for setting the record straight. :ThmbUp:

woodbinepmi
03-23-2016, 12:03 AM
He's still property of the Lions, they would have to be severely compensated for him to go to New England.