PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

raybo
01-29-2016, 12:21 PM
I've been receiving alerts when opening Google Chrome for a couple of days now. The alert says that Google Chrome will stop sending upgrades to my computer soon because they will not be supporting XP and Vista. I'm running Vista. Does anyone have the skinny on this stuff? I can see XP not being supported by Chrome because MS has stopped supporting it, but why Vista?

By the way, IMO, Vista is the 2nd best Windows OS behind XP, ever. Hoping MS keeps supporting it in the future. I've heard W7 isn't bad, but the lack of a Start button turns me off. Win8.1, I have it on my laptop, and I hate it, literally!

Tom
01-29-2016, 12:57 PM
I am using XP and Chrome and have received no messages so far.
I have W7 at work and there is a start button.

I always chuckle at MS that you have to hit the start button to stop.

ebcorde
01-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Vista? that's like 2005. it must run slow unless you installed a boatload of memory, they run all ads, video on web browsers from 3rd party sources.

I loaded the stinking free version of Windows 10 at home. I now hate windows as soon as I buy an external drive this weekend bye bye windows forever, Hello Linux Centos. finally an excuse to buy a new PC and unload 5 years of crap off the old one.

I noticed that this free version of Windows 10 slows down Google Chrome, Firefox,and Opera. but don't slow IE down. :eek:

NEVER BUY WINDOWS 10.

upthecreek
01-29-2016, 02:44 PM
I've been receiving alerts when opening Google Chrome for a couple of days now. The alert says that Google Chrome will stop sending upgrades to my computer soon because they will not be supporting XP and Vista. I'm running Vista. Does anyone have the skinny on this stuff? I can see XP not being supported by Chrome because MS has stopped supporting it, but why Vista?

By the way, IMO, Vista is the 2nd best Windows OS behind XP, ever. Hoping MS keeps supporting it in the future. I've heard W7 isn't bad, but the lack of a Start button turns me off. Win8.1, I have it on my laptop, and I hate it, literally!
They're supporting Vista til 8/17 & W7 til 01/20

Dave Schwartz
01-29-2016, 03:01 PM

No offense meant but this would put you in an extreme minority.

Windows 8.1 and is probably the most stable version of Windows I have ever used. The lack of a start button is easily remedied. Just go to Stardock.com and for $4.95 they will hook you up with a start button (the product is called start8).

upthecreek
01-29-2016, 03:33 PM

Windows 8.1 and is probably the most stable version of Windows I have ever used. The lack of a start button is easily remedied. Just go to Stardock.com and for $4.95 they will hook you up with a start button (the product is called start8).
I'm in the minority as well Vista superior to W8.1-worst version I ever had Nothing runs on it and apps don't work,my reliability meter is consistently @ 1-2 and trouble shooter is useless,never finds any solutions I'm in the processs of buying a refurb laptop with W7

raybo
01-29-2016, 03:40 PM

Glad to be in the minority, on just about anything. :cool:

I have W8.1 on my laptop, and the start button, as well as the normal desktop, is easily displayed by moving the mouse cursor to the bottom left corner of the default screen and clicking it. That's not the problem I have with W8.1, the problem is that everything I do on the computer takes much longer to accomplish, and the OS just runs slower than Vista (or XP). I have had Vista on my last 2 desktops and have never had any issue, with anything, including the speed. I also can't get the "Box Sync" app to sync all my Box.com files (which is a biggie for me), and takes twice as long to sync many fewer files than it takes my Vista desktop to sync many more files.

raybo
01-29-2016, 03:47 PM
They're supporting Vista til 8/17 & W7 til 01/20

The message I'm getting says that Chrome will stop sending updates to my Vista machine, "soon", because Chrome will stop supporting XP and Vista. Not sure what that message means exactly. I'm hoping that Chrome will still work fine, but will stop automatically updating itself, which I literally hate, wish they'd just leave it alone. Once you get used to seeing things one way, and using it one way, they think they have a better way and update it without asking if you want the update. I do assume that many of the updates are for security issues, and that might become a problem if they stop supporting Vista. But, I'll wait and see.

Ocala Mike
01-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Like Tom, I'm running XP, and Google Chrome is my browser of choice. I have received no messages, warning or otherwise.

whodoyoulike
01-29-2016, 05:50 PM

I have XP on one of my machines and haven't received any of these messages. Maybe you picked up a virus somewhere and should try refreshing your Google Chrome version by going to the upper right box (I think under help) if you don't see an update to the latest Chrome version then I understand you're up to date. You can also Google it.

Now, I have been receiving a message every few days which reminds me that XP support will or has been discontinued which I've been ignoring but I don't think it mentions anything related to Google Chrome. Again, I've been ignoring those messages on my XP machine so I'm uncertain of the exact wording of the message.

Red Knave
01-29-2016, 06:09 PM
I noticed that this free version of Windows 10 slows down Google Chrome, Firefox,and Opera. but don't slow IE down. :eek:

What you see is not what I see. I'm very happy with W10. I see no slowdowns with Firefox or Edge (which I hardly use).
Most message boards that I have looked at seem to believe that it is some combination of old software+plugins+extensions that compromises Chrome.
I gave up on Chrome a couple years ago and won't go back until I see current haters start singing it's praises again. ;)

_______
01-29-2016, 07:06 PM
If someone would just praise Windows ME, I could complete my collection of rare fans of unpopular OS's.

raybo
01-29-2016, 07:13 PM
Like Tom, I'm running XP, and Google Chrome is my browser of choice. I have received no messages, warning or otherwise.

Maybe XP isn't receiving updates already so no alerts are being sent to Chrome?

Here's a screenshot of the message I get every time I open Chrome.

raybo
01-29-2016, 07:17 PM
If someone would just praise Windows ME, I could complete my collection of rare fans of unpopular OS's.

WinME was very unstable, according to almost everyone who reviewed it that I read about. WinXP and WinVista have run perfectly on my machines since I upgraded from Win97 (which worked fine also). I never tried Win98 or WinME because of the bad press they were getting at the time.

whodoyoulike
01-29-2016, 07:20 PM
Only time I sign into Google is to read email then I logoff.

Why do you need to sign into Google?

raybo
01-29-2016, 07:23 PM
I checked the status of Chrome and here's the screenshot:

Dave Schwartz
01-29-2016, 09:43 PM
I have W8.1 on my laptop, and the start button, as well as the normal desktop, is easily displayed by moving the mouse cursor to the bottom left corner of the default screen and clicking it. That's not the problem I have with W8.1, the problem is that everything I do on the computer takes much longer to accomplish, and the OS just runs slower than Vista (or XP). I have had Vista on my last 2 desktops and have never had any issue, with anything, including the speed. I also can't get the "Box Sync" app to sync all my Box.com files (which is a biggie for me), and takes twice as long to sync many fewer files than it takes my Vista desktop to sync many more files.

Yes, our experiences are very different.

Win8.1 (for me) runs perfectly. Even though it has a slow 5400 rpm drive it still runs my software at a respectable speed.

Copying things from a thumb drive are actually faster than with my desktops. Note that USB I/O is famous for being slow on many machines.

Copying large files (i.e. many gigabytes) across my network are substantially faster which blows my mind.

The issue with Win 8.1 is not just the actual start menu, BTW. It is having the entire desktop back. My desktop looks exactly like my Win7 machines, which look remarkably like my old XP machines.

Ocala Mike
01-29-2016, 09:49 PM
Update - I stand corrected! I am getting that message too across the top of my screen, but everything still works fine. Tom?

Dave Schwartz
01-29-2016, 10:06 PM
I checked on my old XP machine. Same message.

raybo
01-29-2016, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I was pretty sure it wasn't a virus causing that message in Chrome, I never "surf" the net, and only go to websites I have visited for years without problem. I also never open any email that is not from a personally trusted source, and only open emails containing attachments if I know the source and trust it completely. My "Spam" folder never gets any of those emails opened. If an email goes there and should have gone to my Inbox I just select it and move it to the Inbox. Then I open it from there. All the other Spam emails are selected and the "Delete forever" option.

Bottom line is that the only way I can get a virus is through an authorized update, or if someone hacks my computer in some way that bypasses the anti-virus and firewall software. Yes, I know that this is possible, but I also know that lightning could strike me tomorrow, or a plane could fall from the sky and land right on top of me, can't worry about everything, nothing is guaranteed in this life.

Hoofless_Wonder
01-30-2016, 06:13 AM
You're seeing warnings because Chrome updates for Vista end in April 2016. They've already ended for XP, as of the end of December, 2015.

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2015/11/updates-to-chrome-platform-support.html

What this means is that after April, you'll need to use IE instead of Chrome to have a more secure browsing experience, at least in theory. Not sure about the status of other browsers, but Microsoft extended support for Vista only goes for another year (April, 2017), so you need to think about migrating to another o/s for web browsing.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Using Vista also restricts you to IE 9, which is broken for a lot of web sites. I just built a virtual machine with Vista, and it took me almost a week to get the updates loaded, since M$ is obviously throttling those downloads. My next trick will be to see how well my W10 copy runs in VirtualBox, because unfortunately the need to have a Windows machine connect to the internet will be an ongoing requirement for me.....

upthecreek
01-30-2016, 09:50 AM

Heres how stable mine is

Tom
01-30-2016, 10:56 AM
After seeing Raybo's screenshot, I checked mine and found I was on version 46-something. I updated, for about 20 minutes! NOW I get that same messge.
I should have left well enough alone! :D

Dave Schwartz
01-30-2016, 11:11 AM
UptheCreek,

I wonder why some people have such a different experience from someone else. Perhaps hardware combinations.

I use my Win8.1 machine every day, although not as robustly as I use my primary desktops. I have never had a single crash, although I did have an upgrade that I had to roll back because of a bad video card update. Eventually, I removed that update from the list and everything else updated fine.

May I ask: Is your machine a white box or does it have a brand name?

Dave

upthecreek
01-30-2016, 11:59 AM
UptheCreek,

I wonder why some people have such a different experience from someone else. Perhaps hardware combinations.

I use my Win8.1 machine every day, although not as robustly as I use my primary desktops. I have never had a single crash, although I did have an upgrade that I had to roll back because of a bad video card update. Eventually, I removed that update from the list and everything else updated fine.

May I ask: Is your machine a white box or does it have a brand name?

Dave
Its a Dell Dimension all in one desktop,1 1/2 yrs old

whodoyoulike
01-30-2016, 01:32 PM
I posted my response too soon. As soon as I brought up Chrome today, I received the same message. Thanks Raybo for the heads up.

Now, what should we do?

Are we not supposed to use our XP machine for the internet?

Is browsing still safe since my connection is supposed to have a firewall?

raybo
01-30-2016, 01:50 PM
I posted my response too soon. As soon as I brought up Chrome today, I received the same message. Thanks Raybo for the heads up.

Now, what should we do?

Is browsing still safe since my connection is supposed to have a firewall?

Don't know, but I'm going to keep running Vista as long as possible. The migration to a newer version would be a pain in the butt. Eventually though, my hard drive is going to fill up and I'll have to do something different. Not looking forward to that day!

About the only software I run daily are JCapper (for the files conversions), MS Excel (2002 and 2010 but much prefer the higher processing speed of 2002), Box Sync, and Chrome (changing browsers would probably not be pleasant, I have tons of saved emails and contacts that would have to be transferred to the new Browser, to say nothing of having a different email adress that would have to be sent to all my contacts -- sucks!).

The future of computing, for me, doesn't look too bright, don't know what I would do all day long (and into the night) without one. I, literally, am working on my PC 8-12 hours every day, it's my "job".

headhawg
01-30-2016, 02:18 PM

Is browsing still safe since my connection is supposed to have a firewall?XP is no longer supported, so any security patches to the kernel or other important XP system files are non-existent. So that means that the OS itself is more vulnerable to attacks. Hackers know this, so that makes people using XP more attack-worthy.

A good firewall is another necessity if you're surfing the Interwebz, but isn't enough to protect your connection. Many times the browser or plug-in has a vulnerability that will be exploited. As you're allowing the browser through the firewall it can be the source of the problem. And if you're using Windows firewall, it only protect you from inbound connections, not outbound. So you would never know if something malicious was sending your info to the attacker.

Secondbest
01-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Did not want to a new thread about this.I have a nexus Android OS yesterday they updated Google drive now I can' t download races from whobet.they are bris but I get a message invalid format.Any one know how to fix this?

whodoyoulike
01-30-2016, 04:43 PM
Don't know, but I'm going to keep running Vista as long as possible. The migration to a newer version would be a pain in the butt. Eventually though, my hard drive is going to fill up and I'll have to do something different. Not looking forward to that day! ...

Sort of funny you should mention your potential future hard drive problem.

Early 90's, I had a 10 mega byte hard drive with two floppy disks, I used to run my handicapping using Dbase 3 and Lotus. Eventually both my floppy drives became misaligned and ate up my floppy disks making them useless to write or read. I ended up slowly deleting my handicapping records to make room for newer records (talk about something sucking). And, of course back then I didn't make back-ups.

So, what do we do?

Yesterday, it was just a problem NOW it's a crisis.

Tom
01-30-2016, 04:55 PM
I am looking at a lot of Chrome Books and I am pretty sure I will make the move and dump MS for a REAL computer. :rolleyes:

Since my Chrome was so far out of dat today, I decide to update my Maleware Bytes program. Bad idea. After i updates, my computer got very slow while the mbamservices.exe kept running and hogging resources. Fixed it by shutting off
MB.

I am sick of the amount of time needed to protect these POS MS machines. Tiem for Chrome and freedom from this poor engineering and performance by the MS idiots. Just no desire to pay money to these amateurs.

raybo
01-30-2016, 05:55 PM
I am looking at a lot of Chrome Books and I am pretty sure I will make the move and dump MS for a REAL computer. :rolleyes:

Since my Chrome was so far out of dat today, I decide to update my Maleware Bytes program. Bad idea. After i updates, my computer got very slow while the mbamservices.exe kept running and hogging resources. Fixed it by shutting off
MB.

I am sick of the amount of time needed to protect these POS MS machines. Tiem for Chrome and freedom from this poor engineering and performance by the MS idiots. Just no desire to pay money to these amateurs.

So, you think Chrome Book is a REAL computer? Chrome Book is not a real computer, in my opinion. If I was going to change operating systems, it would be to a Mac, but there are still too many things that are not compatible with Macs without doing a whole bunch of other stuff. And, sometimes that doesn't even work.

Whatever, I guess Delta will do his obligatory dissertation on how bad MS products are now. :bang:

The only complaint I have about MS is their stopping support for earlier operating systems while thousands of people are still using them and don't want to upgrade to the newer ones. Everything I use my computer for works great, why would I want to change?

Tom
01-30-2016, 11:20 PM
So, you think Chrome Book is a REAL computer? Chrome Book is not a real computer, in my opinion.

For the majority of users, there seems to be nothing you cannot do on a CB that you can do on a Windows computer, other than specific windows-written programs. As to security, Windows cannot come close to a CB. Everyone I have talked to who made the switch agrees there is no problem leaving MS.

bobbyb
01-31-2016, 06:45 AM
For the majority of users, there seems to be nothing you cannot do on a CB that you can do on a Windows computer, other than specific windows-written programs. As to security, Windows cannot come close to a CB. Everyone I have talked to who made the switch agrees there is no problem leaving MS.

CBook - So far so good for me. Actually I'm really pleased.

Can't comment on security since my CB is wrapped 3 ways to Sunday.......lol - so yeah I feel pretty safe.

headhawg
01-31-2016, 08:48 AM
Can't comment on security since my CB is wrapped 3 ways to Sunday.......lol - so yeah I feel pretty safe.Do you use the cloud with your Chromebook? Do you use a VPN to access the cloud? While your Chromebook is inherently more secure than a Windows box, the fact that most of your stuff will be cloud-based means that hackers will go after your authentication tokens. Once that happens, your accounts will be toast.

reckless
02-03-2016, 10:22 PM

I was always a DOS 3.11 guy myself ... :)

Tom
02-04-2016, 12:06 PM
DOS 3.2 really rocked!

wilderness
02-04-2016, 02:14 PM
DOS 4.0 was the introduction of something similar to Windows Explorer.
Don't recall what the damned thing was called!

raybo
02-04-2016, 02:33 PM
DOS 4.0 was the introduction of something similar to Windows Explorer.
Don't recall what the damned thing was called!

"File Manager" was introduced early on, before Explorer.

tupper
02-04-2016, 11:05 PM
DOS 4.0 was the introduction of something similar to Windows Explorer. Don't recall what the damned thing was called!
Do you mean DOS Shell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS_Shell)?

tupper
02-04-2016, 11:50 PM

MB.

Chrome Books are nice, but the problem is not your machine -- it's your software. As some have already mentioned on the forum, the OS on a Chrome Book (Chrome OS) is simply a version of Linux. It is a version of Linux that lacks a decent software repository and that is permanently attached to Google and its cloud.

Before you plop down the money for a Chrome Book, why don't you just try a real, robust version of Linux on your current machine? You don't even have to install Linux to try it -- just boot a live version. Try one of the main newbie distros (versions), such as Mint, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, or PCLinux OS. Linux live CDs are easy to burn, or, for faster speed, boot a live USB.

Of course, it's all free.

By the way, I own a Chrome Book, but I can't tell you anything about Chrome OS, because I immediately replaced it with a real version of Linux. The machine is an Acer C720 with a 125GB SSD. It is powerful enough to edit video. Right now, I am running Gallium OS (https://galliumos.org/), which is Linux distro designed to run on Chromebooks, and which features the Chromium browser (the open source version of the Chrome browser) as default. Since Gallium OS is Ubuntu-based, it can run almost all of the software packages from the huge Ubuntu and Debian software repositories.

wilderness
02-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Do you mean DOS Shell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS_Shell)?

Looks like the creature, however a later version contained color.

It was certainly an improvement over typing in DOS Commands and navigating paths manually via DOS.

Tom
02-05-2016, 12:43 PM
tupper, thanks for the comments.
I plan to use the CB only for internet surfing and emails.
I will download the files I need and use them on my W7 and XP machines, off line. I don't plan to use any of the Chrome programs or use the cloud. I won't even use the CB unless it is connected by cable.

I am just looking to cut the ties with MS for anything moving forward (sorry, JHS, :D).

The program I have now are all I need - and the last two or three versions of them were all I needed as well.

tupper
02-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Looks like the creature, however a later version contained color.I think DOS Shell had the option to select the color theme in its first version, but it certainly had it by DOS 5.0 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bctf4vW5JgE&t=1m13s)

It was certainly an improvement over typing in DOS Commands and navigating paths manually via DOS.I don't know... I often use the command line to manage files, because its faster.

For instance, if I want to copy/move files with a certain extension, it's easy to just type the "copy/move" command with the file extension and with the path to the destination.

tupper
02-05-2016, 01:27 PM
I plan to use the CB only for internet surfing and emails.
[snip]
I won't even use the CB unless it is connected by cable.
In that case, it might be better to just get a used laptop with an ethernet connector and install (or live boot) a lightweight Linux distro.

Probably, most Chrome Books lack ethernet connectors, which might necessitate something like a USB ethernet adaptor ($10-$15).

Tom
02-05-2016, 01:54 PM
I found a USB adapter for $13.

whobet
02-16-2016, 06:58 PM
Whobet does this

I have installed all 3 browsers on my laptop

1. MS
2. Firefox
3. chrome

When I have a weird problems with one of then I try the other two
one of them will work

NOTE: this happens a lot

whodoyoulike
02-16-2016, 07:39 PM
I now have the same three browsers. IE and Chrome have already come out and informed us that they no longer support XP.

What about Firefox?

I haven't seen any similar notice when I bring it up which is not very often because I've only downloaded it since this thread was started.