PDA

View Full Version : William Howard Taft Can Continue to Rest in Peace (For Now)

Overlay
01-28-2016, 04:17 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/obama%E2%80%99s-not-interested-in-a-supreme-court-appointment-white-house-says/ar-BBoPjwE?getstaticpage=true

In response to a reporter's hypothetical question about the possibility of Hillary Clinton appointing by-then ex-President Obama to the Supreme Court if she is nominated and elected (to which Mrs. Clinton appeared to respond positively), a White House spokesman has stated that Mr. Obama has no interest in becoming the second ex-President to be appointed to the Supreme Court after he leaves office in January, 2017.

TJDave
01-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Doesn't pay enough.

boxcar
01-28-2016, 04:50 PM
Doesn't pay enough.

It probably does when some big political/social agenda is on the line. Plus it can be a huge power trip.

classhandicapper
01-28-2016, 04:50 PM
a White House spokesman has stated that Mr. Obama has no interest in becoming the second ex-President to be appointed to the Supreme Court after he leaves office in January, 2017.

Thanks God for small favors.

boxcar
01-28-2016, 05:04 PM
Thanks God for small favors.

Don't be so sure. I think Obama has his eyes on even bigger fish -- like Secretary General of the United Numbskulls. With the right U.S. president office, the two could be quite the tag team.

Clocker
01-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Don't be so sure. I think Obama has his eyes on even bigger fish -- like Secretary General of the United Numbskulls.

You can make a lot more in salary and "tips" as Secy Gen than you can on SCOTUS.

mostpost
01-28-2016, 05:19 PM
At the present time, I do not think Obama would be the best choice for a Supreme Court vacancy. In the present climate, I doubt if his nomination would be confirmed by the Senate. I would prefer someone more progressive.

zico20
01-28-2016, 05:44 PM
Obama would not take the position if offered. No way would he want to be a part of a nine member crew. He is so used to the executive orders to get his way he could not fathom the thought that his vote only counts as 1/9.

Clocker
01-28-2016, 05:51 PM
I would prefer someone more progressive.

Bernie Sanders?

zico20
01-28-2016, 06:44 PM
Bernie Sanders?

I think he was alluding to someone who is a member of the Communist Party in the USA. They have 20,000 members last I heard. No shortage to pick from to fill vacancies. :D

Shemp Howard
01-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Doesn't pay enough.

Doesn't it come with a free golf club membership at Congressional??

boxcar
01-28-2016, 07:36 PM
You can make a lot more in salary and "tips" as Secy Gen than you can on SCOTUS.

I think with BO, it's more about power and fame than money.

Inner Dirt
01-28-2016, 10:39 PM
I think he was alluding to someone who is a member of the Communist Party in the USA. They have 20,000 members last I heard. No shortage to pick from to fill vacancies. :D

Thanks a lot, I just spit my tea all over the paperwork on my desk, at least I don't put sugar in it so it won't be sticky.:D

Rookies
01-28-2016, 11:13 PM
I think with BO, it's more about power and fame than money.

THAT might be the only prize of this election Boxie. One is in her 80s, 3 in their 70s, correct? Easy to see a 5-4 or higher reversal, if the Democrats win.

_______
01-28-2016, 11:45 PM
THAT might be the only prize of this election Boxie. One is in her 80s, 3 in their 70s, correct? Easy to see a 5-4 or higher reversal, if the Democrats win.

The average age of the 9 justices will be over 75 by the end of the next President's first term.

reckless
01-29-2016, 07:51 AM
I believe that Obama's very last "F--k you, America' moment will occur later this year. He will convince either one or two current judges to retire, and he'll nominate left wing radical haters.

It will then be up to the cowardly, compromised, intellectually bankrupt GOP majority to say no. Not so easy because I say they too will have a 'F--k you, conservative America' attitude and just may go along with this scheme.

The GOP does not want Obama campaigning against them going into the election and making the judges the headline issue.

Obama may very well get his way again over the GOP wimps because one of those nominated will be a minority, and the other nominee may very well be plagarist Lawrence Tribe, whom Donald Trump feels is a legitimate jurist.

_______
01-29-2016, 05:26 PM
I believe that Obama's very last "F--k you, America' moment will occur later this year. He will convince either one or two current judges to retire, and he'll nominate left wing radical haters.

It will then be up to the cowardly, compromised, intellectually bankrupt GOP majority to say no. Not so easy because I say they too will have a 'F--k you, conservative America' attitude and just may go along with this scheme.

The GOP does not want Obama campaigning against them going into the election and making the judges the headline issue.

Obama may very well get his way again over the GOP wimps because one of those nominated will be a minority, and the other nominee may very well be plagarist Lawrence Tribe, whom Donald Trump feels is a legitimate jurist.

I'm going to disagree that this is a +50% possibility. Or even +10%. To my mind, it's in the sub 1% range for two reasons.

Obama would have to get any nominee through a Republican Senate. And Republican's are defending 24 out of 33 open seats in the Senate (We are 6 years post tea party wave). I think Democrats would be anticipating better conditions post election.

Another consideration would be his ability to convince someone who would make a difference to resign. The most likely candidate based on age would be Ginsburg. How likely is a candidate more liberal than her to get through a GOP senate? And what real difference would it make?

If a conservative justice (or Kennedy) winds up needing to be replaced in the next few months, it would probably have to go forward. But anything post September would likely be pushed off to the next administration in hopes for a friendlier reception in the Senate.

zico20
01-29-2016, 05:34 PM

Obama will not convince any justice to retire early. The only two he could even consider talking to are Ginsburg and Breyer, and neither have indicated they are going to step down. Also, if Trump is going to be the nominee, the liberal justices won't step down because they will believe Hillary is a shoe in for the presidency, giving the justices 4 or 8 more years to serve under a Democratic president before having to make a decision to retire.