PDA

View Full Version : The Mt. Rushmore of tips

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 08:14 PM
1. What is the best tip you ever had?

2. How did you bet it?

3. How was the score?

4. Did you want to kick yourself in the arse because you didn't bet it?

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 08:23 PM

2. How did you bet it?

3. How was the score?

I'll give you the OPPOSITE.

Penn 2005. Bet 9 races, hit 9 races. Cashed $10,000 in tax jobs. Greek trainer's assistant was up my ass all night for who I like, took care of him with $500 bucks (what can I say, I'm a nice guy).

AHOLE, says to me, to pay you back. Our barn has a horse named XXXXXXX. We've held her back in 3 straight starts. Going to win at boxcar odds at CT in 2 weeks. Bet her but please bet late and don't bet to win as the barn wants to cash.

I bet $500 in pick 4's, pick 3's, DD's, exactas, TRIs and SUPS. Horse looked like total garbage.

Ran dead last the whole way. I think the donkey is still a maiden.

Goes to show why the barn was up my ass for selections all night and every time I showed up there. THEY CANT TELL A HORSES ASS FROM HIS EYEBALL.

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Maybe I should have said did you want to kick yourself in the arse if you did bet him. 4A and 4B.

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Maybe I should have said did you want to kick yourself in the arse if you did bet him. 4A and 4B.

SORRY!

You asked, it reminded me and I shot off. If I see those twirps again, I'd spit on em. But...they re-taught me a lesson, be kind but not too kind. Unless you're dealing with an angel of a soul.

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Personally, I was in Vegas for Breeder's Cup 2014. It was Friday. Got friendly with a guy from California. Gave me a tip on 4 horse in last race on Friday, said horse going right to the front. I was up and partaking in Vegas comps. Really liked Espinoza on 7 horse in 8th race at 2 to 1. Bet 30 dollar double 7-4 (tip horse) and 30 to win on 4 in last race. 7 wins. Sure enough 4 went out and never looked back at 30 to 1 (first race off a rather long layoff).

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 08:38 PM
With Alonzo Quinonez no less.

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 08:42 PM
That is Saaaawweeeeeettttt Mandrake. Nice score ! :jump:

NorCalGreg
01-27-2016, 08:44 PM

Penn 2005. Bet 9 races, hit 9 races. Cashed $10,000 in tax jobs. Greek trainer's assistant was up my ass all night for who I like, took care of him with $500 bucks (what can I say, I'm a nice guy).

AHOLE, says to me, to pay you back. Our barn has a horse named XXXXXXX. We've held her back in 3 straight starts. Going to win at boxcar odds at CT in 2 weeks. Bet her but please bet late and don't bet to win as the barn wants to cash.

I bet $500 in pick 4's, pick 3's, DD's, exactas, TRIs and SUPS. Horse looked like total garbage.

Goes to show why the barn was up my ass for selections all night and every time I showed up there. THEY CANT TELL A HORSES ASS FROM HIS EYEBALL.

Funny Story! :lol: I learned long ago....don't ever take tips from guys that want tips FROM ME!

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 08:48 PM
EMD, I'm always suspicious of tipsters, but what the heck, I was up, I liked the guy, 60 bucks was nothing in the scheme of things, and I ended up with 3 grand.

zico20
01-27-2016, 08:53 PM
For me it was back in the very late 80s or early 90s at Fairmount. It was harness season. Some guy I casually knew who liked to play up being a big shot tells me this horse who ran 2nd in his qualifier could not lose. In fact, he said the horse would win the invitational pace right now. The horse could go 156 flat if need be he tells me. I put 200 to win on him. He won easily but not by that much. The guy tells me for the next 7 or 8 weeks this horse won't lose. Pound the horse every week, horse wins every week. Race 9 I believe he tells me not to bet him, horse won't win. I bet two other horses and hit it. Next two weeks he tells me horse can't lose. Bet him both times, horse won. Last day of the meet, horse goes in the invitational, guy says he won't win. Horse loses, didn't bet since I didn't know who else I liked. Made a ton of money on the horse. I have no idea why this guy gave me the info every week, but he was spot on.

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 08:58 PM
Z, that qualifies as a dozen tips, but the guy was spot on. Amazing.

Stillriledup
01-27-2016, 08:59 PM

That's an old trick, give out a 'tip' with some good story and if it wins the tipee gets tipped. If it loses? No skin off the nose.

Stillriledup
01-27-2016, 09:00 PM
I don't bet tips unless I like the story as to WHY the horse is a tip.

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 09:03 PM
The story is the best part, it is almost worth the bet, if you bet it.

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 09:06 PM
That's an old trick, give out a 'tip' with some good story and if it wins the tipee gets tipped. If it loses? No skin off the nose.

The guy got $500 from my kindness (right place right time) and had zero reason to give me a bad horse. Unless he wanted to never get free money from me again or free selections.

Keep in mind, he gave me the tip as I was walking out of the track (and after he got free drinks money etc.)

zico20
01-27-2016, 09:08 PM
Z, that qualifies as a dozen tips, but the guy was spot on. Amazing.

It was a great run. However, this horse went off around 3-5 EVERY week, even when he lost. So it wasn't like I was making thousands every week. I had 500 on him every week. Sometimes I threw money on him to place because the horse was paying just as much as to win. He was always clearly the best horse. However, in the final race he was 2-1 when the guy told me not to bet. I was prepared to put a grand on him at those odds. The races this horse lost were fixed.

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 09:11 PM
I don't give tips. And I can't drink 500 dollars worth of anything. So you can start drinking earlier than the 7th.

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Charles Town 1979.

My mother was a hottie. Attractive and very sweet. Old man walked up to her and kept giving her 20/1 to 30/1 shots a few times a night for a week.

Mom always plays exactas. Would go bomb box with all.

She made a killing and the best part is......

She never told MY DAD (the original horseplayer in the family) about the tips till AFTER the race :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My dad would fume as he was a $20-$100 win bettor back then :lol: :lol:

Bombs would win, he would curse and she would laugh to the teller window.

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 09:14 PM
I don't give tips. And I can't drink 500 dollars worth of anything. So you can start drinking earlier than the 7th.

HA HA. Not what I meant :D . I don't drink till after the 7th as I like to be fully "on" for the races at the BIG A. I can miss taking notes on the last 2 races as I can rewatch the replays and take notes when I get home.

Believe me, I'm a light weight. 2 drink max LOL.

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 09:15 PM
Was your dad there? Or home. A great story nonetheless.

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 09:17 PM
EMD, have you ever had such a bad day where you say I am going to have a drink to change my luck or see things differently? I have and it works.

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Was your dad there? Or home. A great story nonetheless.

My dad was there and I was there. He drove us, only driver at the time :lol:

thaskalos
01-27-2016, 09:18 PM
It was the late 80s...and a friend of mine owned a restaurant within walking distance of Arlington Park racetrack. Many of the jockeys and trainers used to go there to eat...and my friend was well-acquainted with quite a few of them. Well...my friend called me early one Saturday morning, with the most interesting message that anybody ever relayed to me by phone. He told me that jockey Don Brumfield had gone to his restaurant the night before...and had given him $2,000 to wager on Brumfield's mount in the 8th race of that day's (Saturday's) card. I looked at the racing form...and Brumfield's horse in the 8th race was an interesting-looking shipper from Canada, with morning-line odds of 8-1.

My own record while betting on tips was, and remains, HORRIBLE...but this wasn't just your ordinary "tip". How often are you sure that the jockey himself is betting such serious money on one of his mounts? The more I thought about it, the more irresistible the tip became...and the more excited I got about betting it. I can't quite remember how much I wagered on the horse...but I know for a fact that it was all that I had, and all that I could borrow on short notice.

The horse went off at odds of 7-2...and finished 7th in a field of 9.

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 09:18 PM
EMD, have you ever had such a bad day where you say I am going to have a drink to change my luck or see things differently? I have and it works.

I've had a drink to stay away from the races as I didn't have a singe play on the card.

I won't try your advice BUT if it works, I suggest you buy a KEG !

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 09:20 PM
It was the late 80s...and a friend of mine owned a restaurant within walking distance of Arlington Park racetrack. Many of the jockeys and trainers used to go there to eat...and my friend was well-acquainted with quite a few of them. Well...my friend called me early one Saturday morning, with the most interesting message that anybody ever relayed to me by phone. He told me that jockey Don Brumfield had gone to his restaurant the night before...and had given him $2,000 to wager on Brumfield's mount in the 8th race of that day's (Saturday's) card. I looked at the racing form...and Brumfield's horse in the 8th race was an interesting-looking horse who was shipping in from Canada, with morning-line odds of 8-1.

My own record while betting on tips was, and remains, HORRIBLE...but this wasn't just your ordinary "pick". How often are you sure that the jockey himself is betting such serious money on one of his mounts? The more I thought about it, the more irresistible the phone message became...and the more excited I got about the bet. I can't quite remember how much I wagered on the horse...but I know for a fact that it was all that I had, and all that I could borrow on short notice.

The horse went off at odds of 7-2...and finished 7th in a field of 9.

Thaskalos, I couldn't wait for your story AND you did not disappoint !!!

HalvOnHorseracing
01-27-2016, 09:21 PM
I did an article for Horseplayer Magazine called "Inside Information" about tip horses.

Best story in the article was about a horse named Numa Pompilius. I was friends with an owner who used to name his horses after Roman Emperors. The aforementioned horse was making his debut in a statebred maiden. The trainer comes over before the race and tells us, he's just in for exercise today. he said he told the rider to break him and just let him run on his own courage. He tells us definitely not a bet today, so neither of us puts a dime on the horse at 25-1, and the owner is normally a big bettor. Horse breaks on top, runs the slowest fractions in the history of racing, and the field is so bad nobody heads him. The owner is steamed but we go to the winners circle for the picture and a "discussion" with the trainer. On the way some guy starts screaming about it being a boat race and the owner yells back nobody had a dime on him. The picture from the race has the owner glaring at the trainer, the trainer glaring at the jockey, and me laughing.

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 09:25 PM
Thas, although your story ended in tragedy, the Saratoga restaurant scene is very similar to your story and there are tips flying all over the place.

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 09:27 PM
My mom used to go a closed down harness track in montreal. Blue Bonnets.

She used to bet the hockey score in exactas. The Canadiens won 5-2 that night before, so every race, she bet a 52 box.

They're off in race 6. 6 horses go off stride eventually. The only 2 remaining are the 5 and 2 at boxcar odds. Mom collects over a thousand dollars.

Her sister's friend was the jealous type. Made fun of my mom, said she couldn't handicap. That she got lucky.

Next week, that same lady called my aunt and said a certain horse will win at Blue Bonnets that night. Didn't call my mom. My aunt somehow did not tell my mom. So mom didn't go with them to the track.

Everyone crushed as the trotter won at big odds. My mom felt left out.

It's ok. She spent the next 40 years mastering her handicapping and was an awesome pen and paper capper for years. I say "was" as she now is permanently double visioned and can't see clearly now. It kills her that she can't study the next day's form anymore.

But she got them back. They all played mindless slots while she kept a tight fist on her horse bankroll.

zico20
01-27-2016, 09:28 PM
Here is another story from back then with harness racing. Rock Creek had won 4 straight trot invitationals. The rule back then was if a horse won 5 in a row, he had to sit out the next week. It was the second to last week of the meet. I had hit Rock Creek all year long. My longtime buddy at the track knew a couple of drivers. He kept asking me if I was going to bet Rock Creek. I told him yes, of course, I bet him every week. My buddy would not leave my sight the entire time. Two minutes to post he tells me Rock Creek is not winning tonight and he knows who is. I trusted him since he always bet Rock Creek also. He would not tell me who was going to win because he was afraid I would put 500 or a grand on the winner. He tells me to give him 200 bucks and he would bet the winner.

I gave him 200 and he made the bet. When the starting gate was at the sixteenth pole I said you damn well better have bet Ouchy, who was my second choice. He said that was the winner. Ouchy opened up a 20 length lead going into the far turn while Rock Creek was parked the whole way in last. Rock Creek always came from dead last. Ouchy held on by a desperate neck to Rock Creek, who the driver, Richard Prevost was choking down the stretch. Ouchy went from 3-1 to 6-5 on the final jump. Rock Creek goes from 2-5 to 1-1. Our two bets didn't drop him that much. Last week of the meet, Rock Creek wins as he always did, and I pounded him. Damn did I love Fairmount harness racing.

olddaddy
01-27-2016, 09:31 PM
The only good tip I ever got was from a owner/trainer. He told me the longer you play this game the more you will lose.

I should have listened to him.

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 09:34 PM
Here is another story from back then with harness racing. Rock Creek had won 4 straight trot invitationals. The rule back then was if a horse won 5 in a row, he had to sit out the next week. It was the second to last week of the meet. I had hit Rock Creek all year long. My longtime buddy at the track knew a couple of drivers. He kept asking me if I was going to bet Rock Creek. I told him yes, of course, I bet him every week. My buddy would not leave my sight the entire time. Two minutes to post he tells me Rock Creek is not winning tonight and he knows who is. I trusted him since he always bet Rock Creek also. He would not tell me who was going to win because he was afraid I would put 500 or a grand on the winner. He tells me to give him 200 bucks and he would bet the winner.

I gave him 200 and he made the bet. When the starting gate was at the sixteenth pole I said you damn well better have bet Ouchy, who was my second choice. He said that was the winner. Ouchy opened up a 20 length lead going into the far turn while Rock Creek was parked the whole way in last. Rock Creek always came from dead last. Ouchy held on by a desperate neck to Rock Creek, who the driver, Richard Prevost was choking down the stretch. Ouchy went from 3-1 to 6-5 on the final jump. Rock Creek goes from 2-5 to 1-1. Our two bets didn't drop him that much. Last week of the meet, Rock Creek wins as he always did, and I pounded him. Damn did I love Fairmount harness racing.

Love this stuff! Please tell us more ! :jump:

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 09:35 PM
EMD, I am starting to think you are an army child, cloned six times or have about 3 million air miles. Man, you have been all over the place.

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 09:39 PM
EMD, I am starting to think you are an army child, cloned six times or have about 3 million air miles. Man, you have been all over the place.

I am a full fledged, 1000%, hate every other gambling game, love the entire concept of the game we play, would go to the track to just watch and not bet, HORSE LOVER.

Being that, it can blur the perception a bit :)

EMD4ME
01-27-2016, 09:41 PM

When dad would drive me to Toronto to see my godmother, I would map out the days.

Monday on way up Finger Lakes.
Tuesday-day trip to Fort Erie.
Wednesday-Massive and Cavernous, WOODBINE BABY.

We'd lie to the godmother and tell her we're sightseeing.

Meanwhile, I was looking for Sightseek on the simulcast TV :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 09:46 PM
Gotta love pops, for me it was my brother. Sounds like a great family.

woodbinepmi
01-27-2016, 10:05 PM
I worked in the jocks quarters for a short period of time at Sam Houston when it opened in 94. Ran bets for a jock (Sam Thompson R.I.P.) while I was working there. So this goes on for about a month, nothing big 15 to 20 dollars a bet maybe two to three bets a night. After a while he's not winning ANY of these bets, so on my way to the window I think to myself, what the hell I will book it myself. Yes, we all know what happens after that. Horse comes in pays like 10-1, so now I have to get Sam like $200, and I don't have it. Lucky for me at the same time I gave a horse running at the Meadowlands to a pretty big better that came in. He was around some friends of his and trying to impress them gave me $200 for the horse. Mel really saved my ass that night. Later working the paddock show I never asked a trainer, owner or jock if their was going to win. Off air I would inquire if the horse was going to lose, that is was what I am more interested in. Is the horse going to lose?.

Mandrake
01-27-2016, 10:10 PM
Good point, if you know a horse is going to lose it can be considered a tip as well, especially when he is odds on.

zico20
01-27-2016, 10:14 PM
Love this stuff! Please tell us more ! :jump:

Back at this time I was close friends with about 15 guys or so. There was always at least 10 of us together every day. This was also from harness that year or the next, don't remember. Different buddy tells me Kingston can't lose tonight. I had 100 on him win/place the prior two weeks and he got caught late for second. I asked him if the race was fixed or not, he would not tell me but said tonight is the night Kingston wins. I knew what he meant. He showed me his tickets. 500 to win on Kingston. I put 500 win/place instead of 100/100. Kingston is a front runner. He blazes around a 55 half and is in front by 12 or so. At the eight pole he has at least a 15, possibly 20 length lead. At the freaking eighth pole. I am counting my money when my buddy starts screaming hold on hold on. Oh no, oh no. I thought he was drunk. I look from the second place horse, hoping for a long shot to get second to help the place price, to see our driver pounding our horse. He must have hit him 100 times from the eighth pole on. At the sixteenth pole we were in front by at least 8 lengths. Some 50-1 shot, who the driver wasn't even whipping, catches Kingston by a head at the wire.

My buddy didn't move or say a word for 5 minutes. Later when he came to I asked him was he "supposed" to win. Yes was the answer. Kingston paid 3.20 to place, but damn it could have been one hell of a night.

Track Phantom
01-28-2016, 12:31 AM
I don't know if this qualifies as a "tip" but it certainly tipped us off on a winner.

It was around 1990 or so and I was at the track with a buddy of mine. We were getting kicked around pretty good. It came to the 6th race and it was a run-of-the-mill $5,000 claimer. There was a runner in the race that had just run 2nd by a neck for $15,000 claiming two weeks prior. I told my buddy that the drop was a bad sign and to toss it.

We go down to the paddock to look at the horses. As the horses were led away, the well-dressed family that owned the big class dropper was walking out of the paddock area and we heard the older man tell the two younger girls to go bet "daddy's horse for Annie's birthday" or something like that. Basically, we deduced that the owner dropped the horse down so he would ensure his horse won on his granddaughter's birthday.

I believe it was on the board at around 7-5. We bet basically everything we could on it to win, which it did easily. It wasn't a huge score but it was a lot of fun to stumble onto that when we did.

EMD4ME
01-28-2016, 08:16 AM
I don't know if this qualifies as a "tip" but it certainly tipped us off on a winner.

It was around 1990 or so and I was at the track with a buddy of mine. We were getting kicked around pretty good. It came to the 6th race and it was a run-of-the-mill $5,000 claimer. There was a runner in the race that had just run 2nd by a neck for $15,000 claiming two weeks prior. I told my buddy that the drop was a bad sign and to toss it.

We go down to the paddock to look at the horses. As the horses were led away, the well-dressed family that owned the big class dropper was walking out of the paddock area and we heard the older man tell the two younger girls to go bet "daddy's horse for Annie's birthday" or something like that. Basically, we deduced that the owner dropped the horse down so he would ensure his horse won on his granddaughter's birthday.

I believe it was on the board at around 7-5. We bet basically everything we could on it to win, which it did easily. It wasn't a huge score but it was a lot of fun to stumble onto that when we did.

That happens more than we thing these days. At the SPA in 15, Maggie said that one of the trainer's daughter's was celebrating a birthday today and the daughter was on track. He had 1 starter, a FTS in race 2, if I remember correctly. I liked the horse anyway and bet. Paid $14 bucks or so.

EMD4ME
01-28-2016, 08:19 AM
I was at Penn in the mid 2000's when that black cloud of a thing called a racino was being built. They had us at the 1/4 pole in a temporary building. The make shift paddock was closer than usual (right outside this temporary building). I loved the 1 in race 2, a turf race.

Was out there when the trainer of the 1 told the jock of the 1: Ride him LIKE YOU OWN HIM.

I took that as a positive and increased the wager. He won real well. Pocketed up, angling out into the lane and exploded home with a well timed ride.

garyscpa
01-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Personally, I was in Vegas for Breeder's Cup 2014. It was Friday. Got friendly with a guy from California. Gave me a tip on 4 horse in last race on Friday, said horse going right to the front. I was up and partaking in Vegas comps. Really liked Espinoza on 7 horse in 8th race at 2 to 1. Bet 30 dollar double 7-4 (tip horse) and 30 to win on 4 in last race. 7 wins. Sure enough 4 went out and never looked back at 30 to 1 (first race off a rather long layoff).

Not Friday, Thursday.

Mandrake
01-28-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks, when you are in Vegas with the boys only for the breeders cup, days tend to run into each other, especially when the Mandalay hands out drink comp cards like they were Monopoly money. Funny thing, every time I bet the horses at Mandalay, Pete Rose is always there. I think he owns a store in the area between Mandalay and Luxor.

Minniethemoocher
01-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Back at this time I was close friends with about 15 guys or so. There was always at least 10 of us together every day. This was also from harness that year or the next, don't remember. Different buddy tells me Kingston can't lose tonight. I had 100 on him win/place the prior two weeks and he got caught late for second. I asked him if the race was fixed or not, he would not tell me but said tonight is the night Kingston wins. I knew what he meant. He showed me his tickets. 500 to win on Kingston. I put 500 win/place instead of 100/100. Kingston is a front runner. He blazes around a 55 half and is in front by 12 or so. At the eight pole he has at least a 15, possibly 20 length lead. At the freaking eighth pole. I am counting my money when my buddy starts screaming hold on hold on. Oh no, oh no. I thought he was drunk. I look from the second place horse, hoping for a long shot to get second to help the place price, to see our driver pounding our horse. He must have hit him 100 times from the eighth pole on. At the sixteenth pole we were in front by at least 8 lengths. Some 50-1 shot, who the driver wasn't even whipping, catches Kingston by a head at the wire.

My buddy didn't move or say a word for 5 minutes. Later when he came to I asked him was he "supposed" to win. Yes was the answer. Kingston paid 3.20 to place, but damn it could have been one hell of a night.

Thanks for post. I recall John Reese driving Kingston at Balmoral and Quad City Downs right when I was getting interested in gambling. Brings back some memories.

salty
01-29-2016, 01:23 AM
Saratoga September 6,2015

I had gone to the track for about half the meet and sat in the same area every day. As the days went by I gradually made a couple friends with some regulars that hung out in the same area. We shared the bad beats together, occasionally having some good wins and a couple "I told you not to do that" and "how did you pick that one" types of conversations. Now this is my last day at the track for the meet. One of my new friends is having a terrible start to the day, I tell him don't worry we can turn this around no problem. So we had some drinks and we're talking with another guy that hung around there. We started telling all the bad beats of when jockeys fall off the horse. Then we look at the form and say hey this horse is named Summersault we should probably bet him right? Yeah, none of us did and the horse wins easy at 5-1. Then we are looking at the next race and trading opinions. I say hey well I'm going with this one I'm going to go bet. My friend that was having the bad day says, "hey hold on, take this $4 and put it on the #11 $2 to win and place and we will split it." I take the dollars from him and look at the nearest tv then look back at him and say, "Man that horse is 30-1, why are you picking that one?" He gets closer to me and says, "Listen go to the teller and get the ticket put it in your pocket then go up to the rail and watch the race, after the race is over go cash that ticket, take half and get yourself a good dinner on your way home." I said ok and followed the instructions but adding a $2 exacta box with his horse and my pick.

The gates open and his horse goes straight to the lead and never looks back. I just stood there totally confused about what had just happened. My horse finished second. The $2 wp returns $74 and the $2 exacta over $300. Maggiesfruednslip

I go back to the hang out and just say how the hell did you have that one and how were you so sure and what the hell just happened?!?!? He just says that was an easy one, everyone on the backside had that horse. We split the money and then watch the next race and he says he's got to go and I say I'll see you next year man, same spot? Yup.

Will never forget that day/horse/race/friend.

P.s.

One extra thing about that day, the last race there will be a big pick 6 carryover into the final day and only half the field is covered. This guy had me convinced that there was a fix in and that the pool had to carryover because how else are they going to make any money on the last day of the meet. So I eliminated all the horses that were covered and picked the best horse out of the 6 that were left. I put $20 to win on it then buy a couple suvenirs and say by to a couple more ppl. The race goes off and I'm standing by a tree watching as my horse doesn't seem to be doing much. All of a sudden he's in 2nd then boom, wins it, pays 20-1, puts me even for the meet. Dude was right I guess. :)

appistappis
01-29-2016, 01:50 AM
years ago in the 70's I was 19 and playing the trotters at greenwood....there was a stakes race the next day and the favorite (I think brets counsel) would be 1/5....we got a tip the night before from my boss's uncle who was a driver on a horse coming in from london (I think margies girl)....I took 100 bucks out of the bank to bet on him, this was a huge wager for me at the time. Once in the line to bet I talked myself into 50 to win, then 20 to win, then 10, then 5 because I didnt think brets counsel could lose......margies girl won easy and I received my first valuable lesson.

burnsy
01-29-2016, 08:08 AM
Thas, although your story ended in tragedy, the Saratoga restaurant scene is very similar to your story and there are tips flying all over the place.

That's part of the "ambience" of the town. Everyone goes out after the races. Back in the late 80's, early 90's my friend worked for a small mid western stable that came to the Spa. In the morning many times the jocks will work the stakes horses. Eddie Maple worked their Euro that they had just acquired. The horse was going to run in the Ballston Spa or some race like that. But it was an unknown, not the type to be a favorite. When he (Maple) came back with the horse he was pissed off and asked the trainer in front of a couple of the workers. "Why didn't my agent get a shot at this mount?" Pat Day had the mount. Needless to say my friend told me before the race and the horse jogged at like 7-1. That night I was celebrating at then Trattoria and 3 tables away was my friend and the entire stable. Now that's a good Saratoga tip..........but 7 to 9 times out of 10, those "restaurant tips" are "tipsy" people that think their horse is Pegasus. She doesn't work with horses anymore and I really miss the info because their stable was small but very competitive with what they started and that kind of info was like gold.

classhandicapper
01-29-2016, 09:04 AM
I'm not sure if this counts as a tip or as investigative horse playing. In the mid 70s I took a summer job at Aqueduct as a hotwalker for trainer David Sazer. Trainer Bobby Lake (who was red hot and a top trainer at the time) was in the same barn on the other side.

I saw a maiden race at Aqueduct where all the horses that had run previously were way below par for the class. There was also a first time starter from the Lake barn that hadn't shown much in his works. I knew the groom on the Lake side that was handling that first time starter. So while walking one of the horses from my side I stopped and asked him about that first time starter. He told me enough to feel confident that I could play it against those horses. I didn't have much money in those days. I think I bet $20 to win. The horse won.

jahura2
01-29-2016, 11:41 AM

2. How did you bet it?

3. How was the score?

Early 80's, I was 25 and had little or no moral compass. Was informed that local horse owners were riding a jock that was eager to carry a battery.
The horse went off at 35-1 and won by 3 lengths. Win,place money and early daily double payoffs were scored and I won about 500. (Didn't bet much)Of course when the horse got tapped he could have just as easily jumped over the rail.

zico20
01-29-2016, 06:05 PM
It was the late 80s I think. Thoroughbred season at Fairmount. Mark Guidry was riding regularly at the time there. I noticed that he would pull his mount over to the stands and say something to a group of 5-6 guys. The guys would all sprint to the window to bet. The third time I was near the group but could not here what Guidry said. I followed the guys to the window and they all bet the same horse. The horse won. A few nights later I saw the same group at the finish line and Guidry pulls his horse over and says "they can't beat Johnnys horse."

I did not really like the race and was not planning on betting, however, I thought "Johnnys" horse had just as good a chance as a couple others. He was probably my second pick if I had to choose. He was 9-2. I put 100 across the board on him. The horse takes the lead at the top of the stretch and got caught late and ran second by a neck. Guidry's horse who was the co favorite ran last. Made a few bucks with the nice place/show prices.

hyipro
01-29-2016, 07:00 PM
The year was 1990in those days I paid a Tout for tips, it was a Sat, said to
bet the house on a horse named "Dandy Candy". I bet $500 to win, came in
first paid $125.00.................

SuperPickle
01-30-2016, 12:32 AM
Working as long as I did on the front side I'm almost ashamed I don't have some brilliant story of cashing four figures on some obscure tip. I got nothing.

However I have a mildly amusing story that kind of sums up tips in general.

So ground zero for tips at any racetrack is the horseman's bookkeeper. All the trainers, jockeys and jockey agents want to get in with the people running the office. Plus it's generally where horseman get free programs or any other comps or discounts they are entitled to (some tracks give horsemen free or discounted food) so its a high traffic spot on race days.

When I worked at a track it wasn't totally unheard of them for the guys in the office to get 3-5 tips in one day. At least one a week they'd get two separate tips in the same race which kind of sums up the value of tips. The majority of them were either total b.s., second or third hand info or owners relaying some b.s. their trainers gave them. Rarely do you get reliable first hand info from a trainer who liked his horse.

Needless to say the first thing you tell any new hire is don't bet the tips. So this one meet we get a young kid straight of college and we walk him through the tips and a couple other don'ts. He comes up with the idea that he's going to chart all the tips he gets during the meet and then the end of the meet he'll be able to figure out who's got good info. This sounds logical in theory but when you factor in the volume of tips you get, the fact everyone is busy on live racing days and the fact you don't know who most of people who are giving the tips are (how do you make a note of Jamaican groom in yellow shirt like thes #4 in the 8th race?) what he's planning on doing is next to impossible.

Well he pulled it off. So there's about three weeks to go in the meet. This guy comes charging into my office right before first post and proudly announces he has a lock today. He says there's a guy who told him the #7 in the 8th race can't lose. Proceeds to explain that the guy had given three other tips in earlier in the meet and two won and other race second in a weirdly run race.

The 8th race comes around and the horse goes right to the top and right down the road without even an anxious moment under a hand ride. And he pays.... $4.80.

This guy charted tips for close to three months and he got the world's most solid 7-5 shot.

That sums up tips in the nutshell.

Hoofless_Wonder
01-30-2016, 04:56 AM
Here is another story from back then with harness racing. Rock Creek had won 4 straight trot invitationals. .... Damn did I love Fairmount harness racing.

Great story. I remember Rock Creek. Nice horse. I used to like Fairmount harness too - 'cause I could win betting on those nags. Just "handicapping" the drivers who scanned the tote board as they drove by provided great insight on who was trying.

One of my best "tips" stories also comes from Fairmount. 1986 - harness meet. My buddy calls me on a Sunday morning, and asks if I have a spare $300 laying around the house - he's just talked with Tony Morgan, and has got a couple of "go" horses and one "no go". Morgan was the leading driver, and was part of the QCD horsemen that would winter over in the mild climate of Collinsville. Using the Post-Dispatch's entries for that afternoon, my buddy and I craft up about $500 worth of wagers.....and off I go to the track. This was before ATMs, I seem to recall the "Cash Call" charges were something like $30 to get $450.

We had three winners. Hillbilly Ranger in the 5th (a tri race) was our big winner (5-1 on top), and appropriately enough, "Shady Buddy" (at 9/2) won the 8th race handicap. I can't recall the 3rd horse, and we missed out on cashing in the race that Morgan had a chalk drive that he didn't think would run too well. But I still remember leaving Fairmount with over $4K in profits, and mailing my buddy a check the next day for about $2500. I was cackling.

That was about the same time Morgan's horse Kellytucknichole and Perry Smith driving Sindav would battle in the Invitational. I won a $20 bet from my buddy taking Sindav one Sunday, and got the satisfaction of mailing my buddy the results from the paper - when Sindav not only beat Kellytuck, but set a new track record in 1:56 and change.....

Hard2Like
01-30-2016, 08:55 AM
Right Here on PA, 2008.
Pre-Belmont Stakes talk of Big Brown's suspect hoof health.
Boxed 2 others in the $1 trifecta, paid nearly 2k.