PDA

View Full Version : Anybody out there buy a MS Surface BOOK yet?

PaceAdvantage
01-27-2016, 01:16 PM
I drool every time I see one of these things...although I must admit, I saw one in BestBuy a few weeks ago and wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been specifically looking, which is odd.

If you have one, I'd love to hear about it...

Hoofless_Wonder
01-30-2016, 05:51 AM
I don't have one, but one of the architects I work with ABSOLUTELY swears by his Surface Book. He also has the Surface Pro 3. He's a guy who has three desktops and three other laptops at home/work, running Linux, Windows and Mac O/S X. He used to love his Mac workbook, but now prefers the Surface for the touch screen and the tool that captures handwritten notes and converts them to text, as well as the huge bundle of business-oriented apps that are available on Windows. Some of my other teammates who love their Macs still have to run a Windows emulator or virtual machine for some apps, while the Surface allows for running everything natively.

I'm not nearly the "power user" of a laptop/tablet and don't require that fancy graphics tools, and so the price tag has me balking right away. But the display is quite impressive and I must admit that Windows 10 is a decent interface, though not quite as jazzy as a Mac.

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2016, 12:50 PM
Well, as I often do when I start obsessing about some new gadget or another, I couldn't resist going out and picking up one of these things. I settled for the i7 8GB ram 256GB SSD...

The thing is pretty damn sweet. Haven't had any of the problems a lot of other people have complained about with this version 1.0 offering from Microsoft, other than the battery draining faster than it should while it is asleep, but they are working on a fix for that so I assume that will be a non-issue shortly. In the meantime, I'll shut it down instead of putting it to sleep.

Yes, I could have gotten a more powerful laptop (ie. much heavier) for less money, but this baby is exactly what I was looking for in terms of a hybrid.