PDA

View Full Version : Uncashed Belmont Stakes Tickets

whodoyoulike
01-25-2016, 08:43 PM
BloodHorse reported an estimated 95% wasn't cashed .... 94,128 sold and only 3,891 cashed as of June 8, 2015. The deadline to cash your ticket is March 31, 2016 otherwise the money is returned to the state.

Is not cashing the ticket a good idea versus keeping a copy of the video of the race or better yet keeping a picture of you holding your ticket?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/92499/95-of-2-belmont-stakes-win-tickets-uncashed

castaway01
01-25-2016, 11:20 PM
BloodHorse reported an estimated 95% wasn't cashed .... 94,128 sold and only 3,891 cashed as of June 8, 2015. The deadline to cash your ticket is March 31, 2016 otherwise the money is returned to the state.

Is not cashing the ticket a good idea versus keeping a copy of the video of the race or better yet keeping a picture of you holding your ticket?

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/92499/95-of-2-belmont-stakes-win-tickets-uncashed

Since obviously the vast majority of these are $2 tickets bought for souvenirs, I'd say it makes more sense to keep the souvenir to remind you of the day. Is that $2 going to be worth more than the memories?

deelo
01-25-2016, 11:27 PM
Yea makes more sense to keep the souveneir. Being out $3.50 cash isn't going to break anyone. i guess i don't really understand the question...this seems obvious.

Stillriledup
01-26-2016, 05:06 AM
The classy thing to do would be to permit people to cash tickets and keep the physical ticket

woodbinepmi
01-26-2016, 05:36 PM
The classy thing to do would be to permit people to cash tickets and keep the physical ticket
That would make too much since for a racetrack to do, especially NYRA.

PaceAdvantage
01-26-2016, 05:45 PM
That would make too much since for a racetrack to do, especially NYRA.Nice dig

ultracapper
01-26-2016, 05:56 PM
I have a $2 win ticket on Cigar in the Citation Challenge. #16 in the streak. What's it worth to anyone? I have the program, and the DRF also. Bet was placed at Emerald Downs.

whodoyoulike
01-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Yea makes more sense to keep the souveneir. Being out $3.50 cash isn't going to break anyone. i guess i don't really understand the question...this seems obvious.

I was thinking that you would still have proof of your memories of that day with a photo of you holding a winning ticket. And, for these type of occasions I agree with SRU's suggestion or something similar.

What if you had bet $100 or $200 on AP?

azeri98
01-26-2016, 06:35 PM
My brother was there to see AP win the TC, he kept his $2 win ticket along with the program and his seating pass.

Mandrake
01-26-2016, 07:04 PM
You should take a minute and check out ebay and see what they are selling for. There is one for Seattle Slew, all three race tickets, framed going for 3100. Secretariat's Belmont ticket with program, 1800.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=triple+crown+winning+ticket

banacek
01-26-2016, 07:31 PM
You should take a minute and check out ebay and see what they are selling for. There is one for Seattle Slew, all three race tickets, framed going for 3100. Secretariat's Belmont ticket with program, 1800.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=triple+crown+winning+ticket

I have all 3 slew tickets..and I also have a program and uncashed Belmont ticket of Secretariat - as well as a admission ticket to Secretariat's Preakness (got that 40+ years ago when I belonged to the Sport of Kings Club - anyone remember that?) and an uncashed $5 win ticket from Secretariat's last race.

The prices these guys are asking are not likely going to happen. From past ebay sales (not asking prices) I doubt my whole collection is worth much more than 700 dollars or so. The uncashed Belmont is probably worth 300-500, not sure of the program. The Seattle Slew ones are not worth anywhere near that - likely not even 150-200 for the three. (A similarly framed set of the the Slew ones signed by the owners and jockey sold for $350 a couple of months ago)

Somehow I can't think the AP ones will be worth much - everybody kept them. And, at least for me, these computer tickets don't have the same feeling as the old style tote tickets.

deelo
01-26-2016, 09:57 PM
I was thinking that you would still have proof of your memories of that day with a photo of you holding a winning ticket. And, for these type of occasions I agree with SRU's suggestion or something similar.

What if you had bet $100 or $200 on AP?

then you'd cash it and also buy a $2 ticket to keep as I did...I don't know many people who buy $100 win tickets as souveniers.

NorCalGreg
01-26-2016, 10:11 PM
I have all 3 slew tickets..and I also have a program and uncashed Belmont ticket of Secretariat - as well as a admission ticket to Secretariat's Preakness (got that 40+ years ago when I belonged to the Sport of Kings Club - anyone remember that?) and an uncashed $5 win ticket from Secretariat's last race.

The prices these guys are asking are not likely going to happen. From past ebay sales (not asking prices) I doubt my whole collection is worth much more than 700 dollars or so. The uncashed Belmont is probably worth 300-500, not sure of the program. The Seattle Slew ones are not worth anywhere near that - likely not even 150-200 for the three. (A similarly framed set of the the Slew ones signed by the owners and jockey sold for $350 a couple of months ago)

Somehow I can't think the AP ones will be worth much - everybody kept them. And, at least for me, these computer tickets don't have the same feeling as the old style tote tickets.

Very true, banacek...what those guys are asking and what they're selling for---are completely different.
Whoever came up with the "Commemorative Ticket" idea--that guy belongs in the Marketing Hall-of-Fame. I'm just wondering why XB, TS, and the rest of the ADWs haven't figured out some way to cash in on, or "monetize" this brilliant idea.
"Anyone opening an account in April, and makes a winning bet on the Kentucky Derby gets an actual Derby Program & $2 commemorative ticket".
Then in smaller print, of course....can add:
program & ticket sent by US Mail-must wager $1,000 on Kentucky Derby to qualify

banacek
01-26-2016, 10:13 PM

There's a guy on ebay that sells cashed Preakness tickets of Secretariat. The corners are torn off and the cash price is written on the back. He must have gotten a hold of a ton of them somehow - been selling them for years.

therussmeister
01-27-2016, 11:27 AM
There's a guy on ebay that sells cashed Preakness tickets of Secretariat. The corners are torn off and the cash price is written on the back. He must have gotten a hold of a ton of them somehow - been selling them for years.
Or maybe he got a hold of three of them and he's still trying to sell them. ;)