PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl thread

Valuist
01-25-2016, 01:51 AM
YTD: 54-38-1

Carolina -4

IMO, Carolina is bettable up to -5 1/2. At minus 6, I would pass. Denver's D is very good but only slightly better than Carolina. Carolina actually has better pass D (73.5 QB rating against is best in NFL; Denver at 78.8 is 4th). Denver slightly better against the run. But offensively, Carolina has strong edges in rush yards/game and QB rating. But the biggest edge of all is in yards/point; a stat I like because it takes into account the empty yards of special teams and penalties.

Carolina 1st offensively in yards/point; 8th defensively in yards/point against
Denver 20th offensively in yards/point; 15th defensively in yards/point against

Panthers also has strong edges in kickoff returns (5th) while Denver is 27th. In penalty yardage, Carolina is 10th in least penalty yardage while Denver is 24th.

IMO, Carolina had a tougher road, beating Arizona and Seattle, while Denver beat a Steeler team hurt by injuries, and a New England team with numerous players less than 100%. Carolina's first half vs Seattle was arguably the best half of football by any team this year. I'm not going to complicate things. Sometimes its ok to take the chalk.

Stillriledup
01-25-2016, 03:31 AM
I like the writeup, good stuff.

Keep in mind that Denver is going to hear for 2 weeks solid that they have no chance. Carolina is going to hear for 2 weeks that they have the game in the bag.

If I had to make a pick its hard to go against Carolina, but I would like them more if people were saying the game could go either way, I hate to be on everyone else's sure thing.

There's going to be a long return or two in this game for Carolina, I was concerned that Denver's kick coverage gave up a long return.

If this game was in NE, the Pats would have won, but I can't say the same for Az, they weren't winning that game no matter what, so the lack of a true home field will hurt Denver more than Car.

I can't imagine that anyone who bet on Denver 2 years ago is laying one red cent on them now.

Denver's D is better than 2 years ago? Any thought on how the Bronco team from 2 years ago compares to the team now?

pandy
01-25-2016, 06:52 AM
As Valuist points out, it does seem clear that Carolina beat the tougher teams to get to this point, and for 6 quarters they destroyed those teams (Seattle and Arizona).

I just bet the Panthers at bookmaker, -4.....5dimes had it at -4.5.

MutuelClerk
01-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Not that the NFL would ever be fixed BUT..... With all the troubles they've had off the field lately from concussion lawsuits to the way players act I think if they were rooting for a team it would be the Panthers. Cam exudes excitement not to mention all the talent that comes along with him. The comments Randle El made the other day. Calvin Johnson possibly retiring early. The NFL is worried about parents letting kids play their game. Cam is the new face of football and the NFL will push his brand. Peyton is a first ballot HOF'er no question. This game is the new against the old and the NFL wants to market to kids. Keep them interested in the game. I doubt the Panthers will need help, but just in case they do.

PhantomOnTour
01-25-2016, 09:58 AM
The #1 ranked defense in the league has made 11 Super Bowls...they have a record of 9-2.
Denver has the #1 D in the league - I wouldn't write them off so easily.

Valuist
01-25-2016, 10:26 AM
The #1 ranked defense in the league has made 11 Super Bowls...they have a record of 9-2.

Do they? Maybe, but only slightly. I think one can make a case Carolina's defense is as good as Denver's:

Points Allowed: Denver 4th Carolina 6th
Rush yards/game: Carolina 3rd Denver 4th
QB rating against: Carolina 1st Denver 4th
Turnovers forced: Carolina 1st Denver 8th
Sacks: Denver 1st Carolina 3rd
Yards per point against: Carolina 8th Denver 13th
QBs: faced: Carolina: Rodgers, Wilson twice, Brees twice, Romo (until they knocked him out), Cousins, Ryan twice and Palmer
Denver: Brady twice, Roethlisberger twice, Rodgers, Luck, Rivers twice, Flacco & Carr twice

Robert Fischer
01-25-2016, 10:28 AM
Carolina has a high level of variance in my opinion.

SUPERCAM + TurnoverDifferential = $$$ :eek:

regularCam + no key turnovers = blah :sleeping:

barahona44
01-25-2016, 10:37 AM
As Valuist points out, it does seem clear that Carolina beat the tougher teams to get to this point, and for 6 quarters they destroyed those teams (Seattle and Arizona).

When a team plays well above average against very good teams two games in a row, I start to think it's not going to happen a third time.I think CAR will win but as Valuist said, don't bet the Pants if the # keeps going up.

Secondbest
01-25-2016, 11:46 AM

Good move.The line can only go up

pandy
01-25-2016, 12:31 PM
Good move.The line can only go up I feel the same way, line may go up, but it won't come down.

_______
01-25-2016, 02:10 PM
I know the positions importance is overrated by most but even conceding that I doubt anyone would question that QB is the single most important position for any team.

Here you have a mobile QB who can throw deep playing an immobile QB who cannot. Anyone building a case for Denver winning has to start there and manage to construct something strong enough to overcome that serious deficit.

Both defenses are very good but Carolina will have a much easier job given Manning's limitations. Denver will need to put more than 20 points on the board to make the game close and I'm not sure they will.

delayjf
01-25-2016, 04:45 PM
I agree, Manning will need his A-Game for Denver to win. It will be imperative that Denver be able to move the ball and avoid those three and outs that puts so much pressure on the defense. He also needs to quit taking 20 yard sacks. He's got two weeks to heal up and rest his body. I hope for Denver's sake it will be enough.

thaskalos
01-25-2016, 06:33 PM
There is an old saying that says, "God looks out for the bookmakers".

For their sake...I hope this is true. :)

DRIVEWAY
01-25-2016, 08:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14614005/ultimate-super-bowl-50-preview

Spread of only 1.8 favoring Carolina

NJ Stinks
01-25-2016, 10:08 PM
While I'm definitely not going to endorse a 39 year old QB's team in the Super Bowl - I'm not going to jump on the Carolina bandwagon either.

This far out I'm thinking Manning and the Bronco D will keep this game under. Peyton is not going to hand the ball to the Panthers on a silver platter in the first half like Palmer and Wilson did. In fact, I think it's likely that the Bronco game plan will be protect the ball on offense and and win the game with their defense.

Will it work? I don't know but I do know Denver has been in a lot of close/under games and have done well in those games.

As for Carolina, I'm not sold on them being a superior road team. Nor am I convinced that their offense will respond well when Denver's D makes them wish they were still playing against Arizona's D. But I do believe the Panthers D is quite capable of shutting down the Broncos' offense.

Anyway, one thing about playing the o/u in the Super Bowl, the total usually goes up as game time approaches. I hope that proves to be the case this year.

Stillriledup
01-25-2016, 11:07 PM
Like Mike Tyson says everyone has a plan till they get hit in the mouth.

Can Denver hit Car in the mouth and turn this into a game?

Also, one thing you won't hear any analyst talk about in the next 2 weeks is the footing in Carolina for both their wins. It was 'soft turf" in the Seattle game and I read grits report of bad weather for this most recent game so I don't know if that was a "fast track"

A totally different surface. Not that it will affect Carolina, heck it might even make them better, but it's something to think about.

Dark Horse
01-26-2016, 12:19 AM
Denver has the lowest power ranking of any team in the Superbowl since I started my power rankings. At 4.8, they're the best of the middle of the pack. Carolina comes into the game with a league high 19.5 rating. The only team ending the season with a higher rating was Seattle with 20.6 when then blew out Denver in the Superbowl, but at least Denver had the second best rating at 15.6. I couldn't easily see any team winning the Superbowl with a rating of less than 10.

Carolina is head and shoulders above the rest this season. Blowing out Seattle and Arizona, without ever giving them a chance, is huge. They made the Legion of Boom look like amateurs, and the same with the highly rated Arizona defense. The way to beat Manning is to blitz him. The New England blitz is average at best, so Manning had just enough time to do just enough. I expect Peyton to be studying the San Francisco skies from his back quite a bit. I don't like giving up points (a recorded 11-0-1 best bets for season betting dogs, but 0-4 with anything other than dogs), but this Denver dog has no bark, and I may consider a pleaser -giving up more points for better odds- for a blowout scenario.

I'll be mostly on the OVER.

Stillriledup
01-26-2016, 12:48 AM
Denver has the lowest power ranking of any team in the Superbowl since I started my power rankings. At 4.8, they're the best of the middle of the pack. Carolina comes into the game with a league high 19.5 rating. The only team ending the season with a higher rating was Seattle with 20.6 when then blew out Denver in the Superbowl, but at least Denver had the second best rating at 15.6. I couldn't easily see any team winning the Superbowl with a rating of less than 10.

Carolina is head and shoulders above the rest this season. Blowing out Seattle and Arizona, without ever giving them a chance, is huge. They made the Legion of Boom look like amateurs, and the same with the highly rated Arizona defense. The way to beat Manning is to blitz him. The New England blitz is average at best, so Manning had just enough time to do just enough. I expect Peyton to be studying the San Francisco skies from his back quite a bit. I don't like giving up points (a recorded 11-0-1 best bets for season betting dogs, but 0-4 with anything other than dogs), but this Denver dog has no bark, and I may consider a pleaser -giving up more points for better odds- for a blowout scenario.

I'll be mostly on the OVER.

Another factor is a Denver 'bounce'. This was essentially their super bowl from an emotional standpoint. Az was just another game for Carolina but the Bronco Pat game had a 'super bowl' feel to it. Might be hard for Denver to get up the same way mentally.

Dark Horse
01-26-2016, 02:25 AM
They got to Brady a lot more than the Patriots got to Manning. The success of the blitzing was the deciding factor for me. People won't say so quickly, but Bellichick was outcoached this time.

Arizona was a great blitzing team all year, until week 17. Then Seattle found the solution, and teams have copied it since. They barely got to the QB in the playoffs. Meanwhile, the blitzing ability of the Panthers is great. They rushed Palmer into a record number of turnovers. Who'd have thunk it? The Cards had been winning the turnover battle all year. I have no idea how the Panthers got so strong and overpowering physically, and I have my suspicions, but it doesn't matter for the Superbowl. They're going to manhandle Manning & co.

NJ Stinks
01-26-2016, 02:56 AM
Another factor is a Denver 'bounce'. This was essentially their super bowl from an emotional standpoint. Az was just another game for Carolina but the Bronco Pat game had a 'super bowl' feel to it. Might be hard for Denver to get up the same way mentally.

Perhaps it's just a tad more strenuous to eliminate Brady than Palmer from the playoffs. :p

burnsy
01-26-2016, 10:14 AM
They got to Brady a lot more than the Patriots got to Manning. The success of the blitzing was the deciding factor for me. People won't say so quickly, but Bellichick was outcoached this time.

Arizona was a great blitzing team all year, until week 17. Then Seattle found the solution, and teams have copied it since. They barely got to the QB in the playoffs. Meanwhile, the blitzing ability of the Panthers is great. They rushed Palmer into a record number of turnovers. Who'd have thunk it? The Cards had been winning the turnover battle all year. I have no idea how the Panthers got so strong and overpowering physically, and I have my suspicions, but it doesn't matter for the Superbowl. They're going to manhandle Manning & co.

I don't really know if Belichik got out coached. He had nothing to work with. Wade Phillips and several other teams figured out the Patriots weaknesses. The Patriots had a weak offensive line and no running game because of that line plus RB injuries. So defensively you plan a pass rush every play. The running back is not a threat to get very far and once you can play pass only, the Patriots (Brady) are in the cross hairs. When you combine that with tight, short pass coverage, they are over as barrel. Somehow other teams were scared to take this approach, but the ones that did, beat and exposed the Patriots. Kansas City had a terrible defensive game plan and got smoked. The Patriots lost and had close calls vs. all the teams that took this approach.

Somehow the Patriots have this "mystique" that they never lose but if people look at their playoff record they have been had many times. This was another one of the years they were ripe for a beating and once you chase Brady, stick him hard and his throws go off line.....you got the Patriots by the balls.

Carolina has the D line without a lot of blitzing and they have the best linebackers even if Thomas Davis is hurt. They can bring heat with 4 and "sit" on routes.....creating picks. That's what Peyton must avoid....ask poor Carlson Palmer. A little pressure, a rushed throw........that's all she wrote.

Valuist
01-26-2016, 10:27 AM

I don't disagree that beating NE was Denver's SB, but with two weeks until game time, we have to discount any bounce. Unless of course, we are Jerry Brown or Len Friedman, and ANY entity is eligible to bounce at any time.

Secondbest
01-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Pats fired the OL coach.
As of now hard to find a Denver backer.

Stillriledup
01-26-2016, 02:06 PM

Thomas Davis Was playing like gangbusters before he got hurt.

Dark Horse
01-26-2016, 03:07 PM
I fear for old-man Manning in the Superbowl. This could get so ugly it's not funny. Then again, it's the NFL, and its gods can always pull another rabbit out of their hats. But normally speaking this can easily have demolition written all over it. Once the Panthers get rolling, there's no stopping them, unless they stop themselves. They've given up a few huge leads, against the Giants and Seahawks. I think they addressed that, though, in the second half against the Cards. Not much chance they'll take their foot off the gas in the Superbowl. Without that one weakness, it's not 38-35 over the Giants or 31-24 over Seattle, but two big blowouts and perhaps a different line for the Superbowl. I know the line is 4 or 4.5 and the books are pretty flexible in the 4-6 area, but this should at least be CAR -6.5.

Stillriledup
01-26-2016, 08:34 PM
I fear for old-man Manning in the Superbowl. This could get so ugly it's not funny. Then again, it's the NFL, and its gods can always pull another rabbit out of their hats. But normally speaking this can easily have demolition written all over it. Once the Panthers get rolling, there's no stopping them, unless they stop themselves. They've given up a few huge leads, against the Giants and Seahawks. I think they addressed that, though, in the second half against the Cards. Not much chance they'll take their foot off the gas in the Superbowl. Without that one weakness, it's not 38-35 over the Giants or 31-24 over Seattle, but two big blowouts and perhaps a different line for the Superbowl. I know the line is 4 or 4.5 and the books are pretty flexible in the 4-6 area, but this should at least be CAR -6.5.

Since its his last ever game and he doesn't have to worry about 'ramifications' well, you know, if you really think about it, if he 'pushed the envelope' would it matter? When that clock hits zero, he's no longer 'employed' by the NFL. I think you can 'prepare' for your last ever game a bit differently than if next season is a given. Just a school of thought. He could be oiled and ready. ;)

Dark Horse
01-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Never like it when it seems too obvious, and prefer the plays where I can hardly pull the trigger. Pass.

Robert Fischer
01-26-2016, 11:17 PM
Give me Denver.

I'll take a 2016 Manning over a 2016 Cam Newton every time for a single-game contest. And I get points?
Easy choice for me.

Zaf
01-26-2016, 11:36 PM
Would love to see Peyton win this one and then ride off into the sunset :)

Z

ronsmac
01-26-2016, 11:48 PM
Give me Denver.

I'll take a 2016 Manning over a 2016 Cam Newton every time for a single-game contest. And I get points?
Easy choice for me.
If you eliminate the qbs Denver may be better than Carolina. Denver's weak link is the qb position.

ManU918
01-26-2016, 11:59 PM
Pats fired the OL coach.
As of now hard to find a Denver backer.

I'll be on the Broncos and I'm sure I wont be alone. This could easily be a game where the Panthers win but don't get the money.

Secondbest
01-27-2016, 11:26 AM
William Hill sports book said it took a $623,000 money line bet on Carolina at -190
Boyd now has Car - 5 1/2
Lowest ml is now -200

Stillriledup
01-27-2016, 11:28 AM
I'll be on the Broncos and I'm sure I wont be alone. This could easily be a game where the Panthers win but don't get the money.

I agree with this sentiment , it looks 'too easy'. The thing that would concern me most is that the favorite in the SB is a team who won what was essentially 2 laughers. The dog was in a hard fought game against a team with a lot of heart. Can't underestimate the 'battle tested' team.

RXB
01-27-2016, 04:41 PM
By my count, since 1970 there have been 45 games in conference championships and Super Bowls that matched a team that had won its previous playoff game by 14+ versus a team that had won its previous game by 7-. The handy winners are 29-16 against the close winners.

pandy
01-27-2016, 05:10 PM
By my count, since 1970 there have been 45 games in conference championships and Super Bowls that matched a team that had won its previous playoff game by 14+ versus a team that had won its previous game by 7-. The handy winners are 29-16 against the close winners.

Good research point. I don't think how the team won their last game, easy or hard, means anything. What does mean something is how good was their opponent. The Super Bowl is not a bounce game.

Dark Horse
01-27-2016, 06:30 PM

I would toss that out. Superbowls often used to be blowouts. Different era.

A bet on Carolina may be stronger for the 1H, as they have shown a tendency to lay down for the 2H, and it is not totally clear if this is by design or if they really have two faces.

RXB
01-27-2016, 06:52 PM
I would toss that out. Superbowls often used to be blowouts. Different era.

Favourites have won straight up in six of the last seven scenarios that I described in the conference championships and Super Bowl.

The point has held across time: if Team A wins big in a playoff game while Team B wins a close game, it's more likely a function of Team A playing at a superior level rather than Team B facing a tougher opponent.

Dark Horse
01-27-2016, 08:11 PM
Favourites have won straight up in six of the last seven scenarios that I described in the conference championships and Super Bowl.

The point has held across time: if Team A wins big in a playoff game while Team B wins a close game, it's more likely a function of Team A playing at a superior level rather than Team B facing a tougher opponent.

Yes, that does make sense. The last four are all strong, so if somebody blows somebody out it's not to be taken lightly.

Robert Fischer
01-27-2016, 09:25 PM
If you eliminate the qbs Denver may be better than Carolina. Denver's weak link is the qb position.

I'll happily take Manning here.

Yes, Manning has rapidly declined. Yes, Cam Newton has just had an MVP type of season.

Manning is a champion. I was saying that in week 3 when everyone said he was done. What's his record this season+playoffs when he has thrown at least 20 attempts in a game? Something like 9-2. His stats are mediocre, but Denver is in the Super Bowl.

Manning isn't going to throw any effortless bombs or cross-body fastballs, and he'll probably throw a 'duck' or two.
Can he manage the game, and make some smart plays, and rise to the occasion? - I think he can.

horses4courses
01-27-2016, 09:49 PM

Yes, Manning has rapidly declined. Yes, Cam Newton has just had an MVP type of season.

Manning is a champion. I was saying that in week 3 when everyone said he was done. What's his record this season+playoffs when he has thrown at least 20 attempts in a game? Something like 9-2. His stats are mediocre, but Denver is in the Super Bowl.

Manning isn't going to throw any effortless bombs or cross-body fastballs, and he'll probably throw a 'duck' or two.
Can he manage the game, and make some smart plays, and rise to the occasion? - I think he can.

Only a fool would not respect Manning's accomplishments.
However, I don't think either QB will be the winning, or losing, of this game.

Carolina, through and through, is the superior team.
On both sides of the ball. On special teams.
Add it all up, I doubt that the game will be close.
Something similar to Denver's encounter with Seattle two years ago.

I could be wrong, but I believe you felt Manning
was the game changer in that one as well.
Am I incorrect?

ronsmac
01-27-2016, 10:08 PM

Can he manage the game, and make some smart plays, and rise to the occasion? - I think he can.The over under on ducks is more like 12.

Grits
01-27-2016, 11:25 PM
A bet on Carolina may be stronger for the 1H, as they have shown a tendency to lay down for the 2H, and it is not totally clear if this is by design or if they really have two faces.

They may have slacked a bit against Seattle during the 2nd half. But, on Sunday against Denver, not even for a minute during the 2nd.

As the old saying goes... get me once, your fault, get me twice, my fault. ;)

I like that Mr.Richardson is treating the entire organization, every employee and one guest each, for the weekend. Hotel, airfare, tickets, etc.--all paid by him. He is such a generous man. Such a kind, soft spoken, southern gentlemen. With a history of heart disease, he had a heart transplant in 2009. I'm happy for him, and where he is today.

RXB
01-28-2016, 12:19 AM

Hmmm, I see things rather differently. I think Denver's defence is as good as Carolina's. QB looks like the major difference to me. Newton can zip his short-medium passes and stretch the field with his deep throws, plus he is an excellent runner. Manning still has his great football brain but physically he's clipboard calibre at this point.

Carolina's tendency to have big first halves is problematic for Denver because the Broncos just don't have the type of offence to play catch-up. If Carolina jumps out to a sizable lead again, I think Denver would (or at least, should) go to Osweiler for the second half.

Regarding two years ago, Denver's defence was nowhere near as good as Seattle's. Plus Denver had some key injuries. The Broncos got off to a terrible start and things snowballed from there. It happens sometimes and isn't a true indication of how teams would compete on a regular basis. (The rematch last season in Seattle went to OT before the Seahawks won.)

Valuist
01-28-2016, 12:51 AM

It's a team game. QB may be the most important position, but QBs don't win games by themselves. If Denver wins, it will likely be due to their defense.

Dark Horse
01-28-2016, 07:11 AM
They may have slacked a bit against Seattle during the 2nd half. But, on Sunday against Denver, not even for a minute during the 2nd.

As the old saying goes... get me once, your fault, get me twice, my fault. ;)

I like that Mr.Richardson is treating the entire organization, every employee and one guest each, for the weekend. Hotel, airfare, tickets, etc.--all paid by him. He is such a generous man. Such a kind, soft spoken, southern gentlemen. With a history of heart disease, he had a heart transplant in 2009. I'm happy for him, and where he is today.

Cam Newton addressed the team at halftime of the Arizona game. (you mean Arizona, right?). For a reason. If it was just the Seattle game, fine. One mistake. But check out the game against the Giants in December...They were up 35-7 with about a minute left in the 3Q, and ended up winning the game with a last second FG: 38-35. So they're capable of spectacular collapses. Sure, in these two games they just stopped playing with intensity, because they thought they had the game won. But they couldn't turn up the intensity again, when that was necessary. The air was out of the balloon.

Would I expect them to slack in the Superbowl? Of course not. Still, when it happens twice in the span of about a month, I have to consider what happens when they don't keep peaking as in their last two games. They looked invincible, but everything went their way. I haven't really seen them respond to adversity. After that near-fiasco in New York they didn't respond in the next game, but lost at Atlanta. So there are still two versions of Carolina. We have seen the best version in the last two games. If that version shows up, Denver has no chance. But every NFL team shoots itself in the foot sooner or later. And Denver comes into the week - with all the media attention - with a clear knowledge of how to deal with that week. It's all new to Carolina. Anyway, my question is: what happens if things don't go their way? Can they play from behind, or does the unshakable belief get shaken at some point?

Grits
01-28-2016, 09:15 AM
Dark Horse, I watch football every Sunday. Have for years. Unlike men, I've never debated it, game after game.

Being a Carolina fan, I'm well aware that Cam, not Coach Rivera, spoke in the locker room against Arizona. Jonathan Stewart missed the last three games of the regular season with an injured foot--I wouldn't term this as "everything going their way." There's adversity in this...just as it was termed with New England losing several of their top players to injury in recent weeks.

I'm wise enough to know there are no locks, not in football, horses, or anything else. Men believe this stuff. I don't. However, I do believe no NFL team has everything go their own way when getting to the Super Bowl with only one loss throughout the entire season and the playoffs. Russell Wilson played his brains out against Carolina. I would hate to be facing this guy, even on his worst day. (Brady's worst came this past Sunday.)

These aren't claimers or stakes horses that peak and cycle, instead, maybe they're just ... a damn good football team with a fine quarterback, who I hope will go on to greatness. ;)

All I want to see, is Peyton Manning play one of the best games of his career, if indeed, it's his last. If he's going out, I sure want him to go out big. I want the Bronco defense to do what they've done all year. And I want Cam & Co to do it all, every minute of it--just one field goal, one two point conversion or one touchdown better.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/carolinapanthers/schedule?team=CAR

Robert Fischer
01-28-2016, 09:17 AM

I could be wrong, but I believe you felt Manning
was the game changer in that one as well.
Am I incorrect?

It's very possible. IDK? Sometimes I cringe when SRU digs up an old post, and sometimes I pat myself on the back.

The over under on ducks is more like 12. That seems to be the consensus.

It's a team game. QB may be the most important position, but QBs don't win games by themselves. If Denver wins, it will likely be due to their defense. If Denver wins I'm happy with my pre-game stance, whether or not the Orange-Crush Defense is given all the credit.

Hmmm, I see things rather differently. I think Denver's defence is as good as Carolina's. QB looks like the major difference to me. Newton can zip his short-medium passes and stretch the field with his deep throws, plus he is an excellent runner. Manning still has his great football brain but physically he's clipboard calibre at this point. Fair enough.

Look guys, I'm not calling for a 40/50 5td 450yard game from the Ol' Peyful fountain of youth...

Can Peyton go out and make zero 'major' mistakes? Can he manage the tempo? Can he 'Omaha' audible a few running plays when he recognizes a blitz or stunt? Can he put the (duck)ball in an area for his teammates to have an opportunity to make a jump-ball play? Can he rise to the occasion for a few solid key throws spread out over the course of the game?

If Peyton can do all that, and Cam comes out tight, throws a pick or two that result in field position/points, misses a few opportunities, fails to recognize a defense or two...

Then it's up to Defense and the big men up front on the Offensive and Defensive Lines.

You guys already have Cam doing a social media dance with the Lombardi Trophy. Give me Manning and the points. ;)

Valuist
01-28-2016, 10:18 AM
Cam Newton addressed the team at halftime of the Arizona game. (you mean Arizona, right?). For a reason. If it was just the Seattle game, fine. One mistake. But check out the game against the Giants in December...They were up 35-7 with about a minute left in the 3Q, and ended up winning the game with a last second FG: 38-35. So they're capable of spectacular collapses. Sure, in these two games they just stopped playing with intensity, because they thought they had the game won. But they couldn't turn up the intensity again, when that was necessary. The air was out of the balloon.

Would I expect them to slack in the Superbowl? Of course not. Still, when it happens twice in the span of about a month, I have to consider what happens when they don't keep peaking as in their last two games. They looked invincible, but everything went their way. I haven't really seen them respond to adversity. After that near-fiasco in New York they didn't respond in the next game, but lost at Atlanta. So there are still two versions of Carolina. We have seen the best version in the last two games. If that version shows up, Denver has no chance. But every NFL team shoots itself in the foot sooner or later. And Denver comes into the week - with all the media attention - with a clear knowledge of how to deal with that week. It's all new to Carolina. Anyway, my question is: what happens if things don't go their way? Can they play from behind, or does the unshakable belief get shaken at some point?

The NFL is set up to let teams back into games. Unlike college, where teams have to keep scoring points, there's a point in the 2nd half of NFL games where the main objective isn't to score more points. Its to burn clock. We hear when the prevent defense doesn't work; we don't hear about it when it does work.

Everything go their way? Really? In week 3, New Orleans led 16-10 in the second half. In week 6, Seattle led them 23-14 in the 4th quarter. In week 8, the Colts led 26-23 in OT and in week 13, New Orleans had two separate 4th quarter leads; 31-27 and 38-34. And in all those games, the Panthers were the unbeaten team who was getting the opponent's best shot.

Stillriledup
01-28-2016, 11:37 AM
The NFL is set up to let teams back into games. Unlike college, where teams have to keep scoring points, there's a point in the 2nd half of NFL games where the main objective isn't to score more points. Its to burn clock. We hear when the prevent defense doesn't work; we don't hear about it when it does work.

Everything go their way? Really? In week 3, New Orleans led 16-10 in the second half. In week 6, Seattle led them 23-14 in the 4th quarter. In week 8, the Colts led 26-23 in OT and in week 13, New Orleans had two separate 4th quarter leads; 31-27 and 38-34. And in all those games, the Panthers were the unbeaten team who was getting the opponent's best shot.

Also that wacky game in nj w nyg.

elysiantraveller
01-28-2016, 01:45 PM
My issue with Denver is the way in which they impose their will on other teams. Cam is not a statue just standing in the pocket. The game plan of bringing the edge and collapsing the pocket is not going to contain a guy who is bigger than most linebackers and has no qualms about tucking it and running over someone upfield.

burnsy
01-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Dark Horse, I watch football every Sunday. Have for years. Unlike men, I've never debated it, game after game.

I'm wise enough to know there are no locks, not in football, horses, or anything else. Men believe this stuff. I don't. However, I do believe no NFL team has everything go their own way when getting to the Super Bowl with only one loss throughout the entire season and the playoffs. Russell Wilson played his brains out against Carolina. I would hate to be facing this guy, even on his worst day. (Brady's worst came this past Sunday.)

http://www.nfl.com/teams/carolinapanthers/schedule?team=CAR

I'm with you Grits. This game will more than likely be a beat down........but if Denver hangs in early they have a chance. I take umbrage with your men and locks statement. :) Men with half a brain and want to win at gambling already know there is no such thing. That's just gambling 101, there are no sure things.....it would not be gambling if there were. Smart men that bet know better. When I read someone saying "lock" or "can't lose", I can be pretty sure they stink at gambling. If Cams offensive line gives him a few seconds and Stewart runs for a few first downs, combined with the turn overs they have been generating. Lights out the parties over, where's my car keys. Denver will have to play better than last week to beat this team............

Stillriledup
01-28-2016, 06:41 PM
Spread up to 6 at some places.

Not a soul is betting Denver.

It's amazing how a team that opens a 3.5 dog and even a 6 dog is viewed as having 'no chance'

No chance teams usually get 17-20 points.

Right?

Secondbest
01-28-2016, 08:37 PM
All the Denver bettors are waiting for the line to go up.the caro!inas are trying to bet before it goes up. Where it stops maybe 7?

Valuist
01-28-2016, 09:21 PM
Also that wacky game in nj w nyg.

I didn't count it as Carolina never trailed in that game. The Giants rallied to tie the game at 35, but the Panthers prevailed 38-35.

Grits
01-29-2016, 10:43 AM
TD on arm surgery.

http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Davis_I_Know_I_Can_Help_This_Team/01fe3972-cfe8-4c52-ada4-9880cc6ac0b8

Luke, "it's Peyton".

http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Kuechly-This-is-where-you-want-to-be/c2076015-c491-42c7-b61a-40e04318aa34

Stillriledup
01-29-2016, 11:53 AM
Anyone else getting worn out by these Newton celebration stories from media and talk shows? It's time to move on guys.

Grits
01-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Anyone else getting worn out by these Newton celebration stories from media and talk shows? It's time to move on guys.

Not being media, still, it wasn't my intent to post these as celebratory. However, someone here had questioned the injury with TD's arm. ... Just thinking his comments would be informative--after Monday's surgery. The other video with Luke? Everyone enjoys seeing how much Peyton's revered by players.

Much of media, even some former players, deserve to be ignored. Never was this more apparent than, recently, when Deion Sanders attempted to justify Burfict's on field garbage.

ebcorde
01-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Take Carolina. Forget about the points it's a blow out. The only thing that will prevent a blowout is Carolina turning the ball over

Manning is getting by on fumes. And the AFC is a bad league.

ebcorde
01-29-2016, 02:24 PM

It's amazing how a team that opens a 3.5 dog and even a 6 dog is viewed as having 'no chance'

Right?

enough people will start going Denver because of Manning's possible last game and they like him. they'll want to believe in Peyton and take the points.

Denver will be slaughtered, they don't have a CAM NEWTON is the AFC

NJ Stinks
01-29-2016, 05:00 PM
Take Carolina. Forget about the points it's a blow out. The only thing that will prevent a blowout is Carolina turning the ball over

Manning is getting by on fumes. And the AFC is a bad league.

Denver swept the NFC North.

Just thought you may want to know in case you suddenly decide to take a plunge, Ebcorde. :)

Stillriledup
01-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Not being media, still, it wasn't my intent to post these as celebratory. However, someone here had questioned the injury with TD's arm. ... Just thinking his comments would be informative--after Monday's surgery. The other video with Luke? Everyone enjoys seeing how much Peyton's revered by players.

Much of media, even some former players, deserve to be ignored. Never was this more apparent than, recently, when Deion Sanders attempted to justify Burfict's on field garbage.

I was shocked at Deion's comments LT was trying to explain to him the error of his ways but no dice. I'm guessing though that Deion isn't defending burfict as much as he's peeved at the 'softness' of the league and the rules changes. Most ironic thing is Deion never tackled anyone in his life.lol

Grits
01-29-2016, 06:54 PM
I was shocked at Deion's comments LT was trying to explain to him the error of his ways but no dice. I'm guessing though that Deion isn't defending burfict as much as he's peeved at the 'softness' of the league and the rules changes. Most ironic thing is Deion never tackled anyone in his life.lol

Neon Deion makes more noise than a $2.00 radio. He always has. He should hush. .... Nobody cares. :lol:

garyscpa
01-29-2016, 07:25 PM
enough people will start going Denver because of Manning's possible last game and they like him. they'll want to believe in Peyton and take the points.

Denver will be slaughtered, they don't have a CAM NEWTON is the AFC

Did they take down the Tom Brady is the goat thread? :D

garyscpa
01-29-2016, 07:27 PM
Neon Deion makes more noise than a $2.00 radio. He always has. He should hush. .... Nobody cares. :lol:

It kills me how he tries to appear so thoughtful and talks down to everyone.

Hoofless_Wonder
01-30-2016, 05:29 AM

Right?

Being the contrarian SRU, I've got my bets down - half on Denver +6, half on the money line +205. Although I actually think Carolina is the better team, I'm taking what appears to be value with the Broncos - as the teams, in theory, are relatively equal on paper.

Of course, like horse racing, an "overlay" is only a good bet if it wins..... :)

Stillriledup
01-31-2016, 12:48 AM
Is there anyone with more heart and guts in sports than Thomas Davis? It's hard to imagine there is. Hard to not root for this guy.

Grits
01-31-2016, 02:22 PM
It's after 2pm, and there's no game on until tonight's Pro Bowl. (I'll probably pass.) Last I read, they've had to go all the way to 7th or 8th choice to find a QB to start. Jameis Winston--you're up, still?

Many other players declined due to injuries or no interest. ..Who cares about Hawaii when you make enough money you can fly anywhere in the world for vacation?

So, with this boredom, I've been at YouTube, again, watching Cam's path, a good part of which I've known, but you all may not of heard him tell it.

Video, part 1 & 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqKoZGZUuNI

Hopefully, behind every confident and happy child, no matter what age, no matter the adversity, the mistakes, is a mom whose love for her child (or children) is beyond all measure. Totally boundless. And with this, in my own son, I can truly identify with Mrs. Newton. <3 Cam and his mom on his promise. Finishing his degree from Auburn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfALaYJoZow (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfALaYJoZow)

An answer from another thread: SRU, I do not own any posters of athletes, not even Cam. Matter of fact, I don't even own one piece of Panthers apparel. Now, expensive jackets, pullovers, hats, books, and framed prints of equine athletes and stakes races-they're all over the house. :ThmbUp: The Panthers apparel thing may change. :)

Stillriledup
02-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Has John Elway and the Denver brass learned something from 2 years ago that they have corrected this year?

PhantomOnTour
02-01-2016, 09:01 PM
It's after 2pm, and there's no game on until tonight's Pro Bowl. (I'll probably pass.) Last I read, they've had to go all the way to 7th or 8th choice to find a QB to start. Jameis Winston--you're up, still?

Many other players declined due to injuries or no interest. ..Who cares about Hawaii when you make enough money you can fly anywhere in the world for vacation?

So, with this boredom, I've been at YouTube, again, watching Cam's path, a good part of which I've known, but you all may not of heard him tell it.

Video, part 1 & 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqKoZGZUuNI

Hopefully, behind every confident and happy child, no matter what age, no matter the adversity, the mistakes, is a mom whose love for her child (or children) is beyond all measure. Totally boundless. And with this, in my own son, I can truly identify with Mrs. Newton. <3 Cam and his mom on his promise. Finishing his degree from Auburn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfALaYJoZow (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfALaYJoZow)

An answer from another thread: SRU, I do not own any posters of athletes, not even Cam. Matter of fact, I don't even own one piece of Panthers apparel. Now, expensive jackets, pullovers, hats, books, and framed prints of equine athletes and stakes races-they're all over the house. :ThmbUp: The Panthers apparel thing may change. :)
Get a pair of pants like the ones Glam Newton was wearing today...hee hee
;)

Grits
02-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Get a pair of pants like the ones Glam Newton was wearing today...hee hee
;)

$850.00 for those ugly Versace pants!! I know he thought he was some kinda sporty, but designer or not, they were some damn ugly britches. And the glittered shoes, laced up, no socks. They added more ugly. :lol:

burnsy
02-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Has John Elway and the Denver brass learned something from 2 years ago that they have corrected this year?

Does it matter? Look at the two teams.....can Elway change sides or switch personnel? Maybe he can go to the local Church and pray. Because they are probably in for the same kind of beating.

Stillriledup
02-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Does it matter? Look at the two teams.....can Elway change sides or switch personnel? Maybe he can go to the local Church and pray. Because they are probably in for the same kind of beating.

Denver is Just as good as New England, would you be saying the same things if it was Brady and Belichick in this game?

Grits
02-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Daily press conferences with the media are part of Cam's have to-s. Here, he speaks to the redundancy of the same questions, day after day, from the media.

When posed with the past--his days as a junior college quarterback--he comes alive with the memory of one particular rag tag scrimmage game. (They lost!) When speaking of his owner, Jerry Richardson's humanity, athletic greats like Michael Jordan, Usain Bolt, and, of course, facing Peyton--the respect, the awe, the "I gotta go about my business on Sunday", it's all there.

http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Newton-I-dont-have-to-face-Peyton-Manning/e25446e4-bf27-4bf4-9386-eaaf5b2699ab

And, another one of the scores of reasons I love Peyton Manning!! .... What he was born with as an infant. A birth defect, requiring surgeries. Among his so many charities, one, in which he's given millions, helping others that have the same defect. Making a dramatic difference in their lives. .... If it is, truly, his last game, I will terribly miss this extraordinary man. <3

http://www.carolinapeds.com/2014/09/peyton-manning/

Grits
02-04-2016, 10:26 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/super-bowl-50-north-carolina-colorado-hometown-cities-carolina-panthers-denver-broncos/

CBS' John Blackstone and Michelle Miller go head to head, having fun, and touting the two "super cities" and their teams. I've watched CBS This Morning for years, and Charlie Rose is just the best....and why not? NC native and Duke grad that he is. ;) On this dreary rainy day (and yesterday) it still seems like a long way to Sunday night. C'mon. Please, hours, pass.

Rookies
02-04-2016, 11:48 AM
And, another one of the scores of reasons I love Peyton Manning!! .... What he was born with as an infant. A birth defect, requiring surgeries. Among his so many charities, one, in which he's given millions, helping others that have the same defect. Making a dramatic difference in their lives. .... If it is, truly, his last game, I will terribly miss this extraordinary man. <3

http://www.carolinapeds.com/2014/09/peyton-manning/

Never, ever heard that story. :ThmbUp: I recall, before one of the Peyton-Eli bowls, there was an extensive interview run on the family. I recall being highly impressed by the calm, graceful, presence of Archie & his wife Oliia, epitomizing the best of Southern class and culture. I have no doubt that this part of their lives, helped frame them AND Peyton.

Grits
02-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Gentlemen, I'm a fan of both. And maybe it's just me....but I beg to differ. We (my former spouse and I) ;) hosted a Super Bowl party for many, many years with about 40 guests....an all afternoon, evening affair. We never hosted Derby parties, not on any scale to speak of.

I cannot believe hosting a Derby party is more fun than a Super Bowl party, and I find it hard to believe, though, you all know far more than I, that more money is wagered on the Derby than on the Super Bowl. I just cannot believe this part.

http://www.americasbestracing.net/en/the-latest/news-stories/2015/1/27/eight-differences-between-a-kentucky-derby-and-super-bowl-party/

So, I ask, is this correct? Granted, of course, it's all coming from a horse racing group.

Rookies
02-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Gentlemen, I'm a fan of both. And maybe it's just me....but I beg to differ. We (my former spouse and I) ;) hosted a Super Bowl party for many, many years with about 40 guests....an all afternoon, evening affair. We never hosted Derby parties, not on any scale to speak of.

I cannot believe hosting a Derby party is more fun than a Super Bowl party, and I find it hard to believe, though, you all know far more than I, that more money is wagered on the Derby than on the Super Bowl. I just cannot believe this part.

http://www.americasbestracing.net/en/the-latest/news-stories/2015/1/27/eight-differences-between-a-kentucky-derby-and-super-bowl-party/

So, I ask, is this correct? Granted, of course, it's all coming from a horse racing group.

ABSOLUTELY, NOT!

The critical word in the sentence is 'legally' wagered. But of course, one needs to count in all the uncounted Internet $, Pools, Squares,, etc. Can't recall if I've ever heard the word'Billion' tossed around- but much higher.

As for the Party comparison? Generally, the bast majority won't compare with a Derby, but I attended SB XXVII on the Pasadena Golf Course. The car beside us drove up (Silver Cloud), complete with white linen table cloth, silver goblets, candlesticks and a fine spread! They were owners of the Rams. :rolleyes:

Grits
02-04-2016, 01:25 PM
I simply could not believe it, bud, just couldn't. Not the wagering part. As you said, that one little word. ;)

Rookies
02-04-2016, 05:07 PM
I simply could not believe it, bud, just couldn't. Not the wagering part. As you said, that one little word. ;)

I was in THE huge Sports Bar in Dublin in October. At 6:00p.m., the Euro watchers of Soccer & Rugby exit and the NFL fans mob it!

I would be shocked, shocked I say, if that place wasn't running a giant Squares Pool come Sunday and there are 3 corporate, legalized betting parlours every 200 yards in Ireland! Tens of thousands of Euros will be flying through the likes of 'Paddy Power'. ;)

horses4courses
02-04-2016, 08:37 PM
I was in THE huge Sports Bar in Dublin in October. At 6:00p.m., the Euro watchers of Soccer & Rugby exit and the NFL fans mob it!

I would be shocked, shocked I say, if that place wasn't running a giant Squares Pool come Sunday and there are 3 corporate, legalized betting parlours every 200 yards in Ireland! Tens of thousands of Euros will be flying through the likes of 'Paddy Power'. ;)

I haven't been in that Dublin Sports Bar. Will check it out next time over.
Hopefully, that will be this Fall.

4 years ago, my wife, son, and myself had a quick trip over there
for a family bereavement. The funeral was on Friday, and by Sunday
we were ready to have a day out. Racing at Punchestown :)

During the course of a fun day of jump racing, I mentioned to my wife
that the Super Bowl would be on later around 1130pm. As luck would
have it, there was a Ladbrokes betting outlet at the track offering
odds on the big game. We both figured the Giants would take it,
and bet a few Euros. Cashed on Monday morning 30 miles away
near where we were staying. Betting as it was meant to be. :)

Rookies
02-04-2016, 10:02 PM
I haven't been in that Dublin Sports Bar. Will check it out next time over.
Hopefully, that will be this Fall.

4 years ago, my wife, son, and myself had a quick trip over there
for a family bereavement. The funeral was on Friday, and by Sunday
we were ready to have a day out. Racing at Punchestown :)

Here Tis!

The Woolshed Baa and Grill (Parnell Street)
With our three massive screens and 15 plasmas we can show a huge variety of different sports often at the same time. As the name suggests we are a sports bar with a flavour of the Southern Hemisphere, (without the weather!!) but we also enjoy an international clientele. From Australia to Alaska we have become a meeting place for people to come and talk with the one true universal language, “SPORT”.

The second floor has a large Stadium type setting. When I was there, it was full of Cheeseheads in uniform. Couldn't believe it.
Their Home Page advertises the SB at 11:30 p.m., with food up to 1:00a.m. :lol: Great place!

Grits
02-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Super Bowl's Greatest Halftime Shows...now on.

If, PRINCE, is not included in this program, I'm gonna be unhappy!! But, knowing PRINCE, and how he guards his work, he'd make CBS pay him millions for the footage.

Maybe they'll show Janet J's costume malfunction again. But, I won't hold my breath as it didn't do anything for me the first time. :lol:

This first 10 minutes has been Katy Perry? Seriously, gentlemen. :faint:

Stillriledup
02-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Super Bowl's Greatest Halftime Shows...now on.

If, PRINCE, is not included in this program, I'm gonna be unhappy!! But, knowing PRINCE, and how he guards his work, he'd make CBS pay him millions for the footage.

Maybe they'll show Janet J's costume malfunction again. But, I won't hold my breath as it didn't do anything for me the first time. :lol:

This first 10 minutes has been Katy Perry? Seriously, gentlemen. :faint:

2 days away, you getting butterflies yet? :D

Rookies
02-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Grits:

I've attended two of them.

XXV had NKOTB :lol: :bang: :lol:
XXVII had MJ

I am such a huge NFL fan and MY team wss playing in both of those. Honest to God- anything short of the 2nd. Coming, you could dial the 1-800- RATZ ARSE line, as far as I am concerned.

Couldn't care less-the spectacle of the game was everything!

P.s. As I've mentioned before, XXV was the Whitney Star Spangled Banner! :ThmbUp: :jump: Now THAT was worth the price of admission.

Grits
02-06-2016, 12:32 AM
Grits:

I've attended two of them.

XXV had NKOTB :lol: :bang: :lol:
XXVII had MJ

I am such a huge NFL fan and MY team wss playing in both of those. Honest to God- anything short of the 2nd. Coming, you could dial the 1-800- RATZ ARSE line, as far as I am concerned.

Couldn't care less-the spectacle of the game was everything!

P.s. As I've mentioned before, XXV was the Whitney Star Spangled Banner! :ThmbUp: :jump: Now THAT was worth the price of admission.

We talked about Whitney before... Every year at Super Bowl time, I have to watch her performance again at YouTube. ;)

Seeing PRINCE again tonight was GREAT!!!

Grits
02-06-2016, 12:38 AM
2 days away, you getting butterflies yet? :D

Yes. I have 'em. I sure do. Everyone's picking the Panthers, and that makes me nervous. We all know....there are no locks.

Still, #KEEP POUNDING!!!

About that lack of Panthers apparel, I spoke of?

Fixed that today, for my son and for me. :)

Stillriledup
02-06-2016, 12:52 AM
Yes. I have 'em. I sure do. Everyone's picking the Panthers, and that makes me nervous. We all know....there are no locks.

Still, #KEEP POUNDING!!!

About that lack of Panthers apparel, I spoke of?

Fixed that today, for my son and for me. :)

It's HARD just to GET To this game, enjoy the moment!

You're right to be worried that so many are acting like they know the results in advance, this will be a tough game to win, Broncs been hearing all week how they have no chance I have to imagine the chip on their shoulder is pretty big.

Grits
02-06-2016, 01:08 AM
Right. The one sure thing. Those chips on the Broncos shoulders are the size and weight of cement blocks by now!!!

tucker6
02-06-2016, 08:22 AM
you sure it was just luck?? :D

Rookies
02-06-2016, 08:49 AM
you sure it was just luck?? :D

What it was, is a country (unlike the U.S. & Canada) that doesn't view Gambling as one of the 7 deadly sins and is not governed by the bitter and hysterical hectoring of the Oliver Cromwell philosophies on the ginned up evils afflicting mankind.

I thought it hilarious that on the same block in downtown Dublin, were a Catholic Church, a Bar and a Betting Parlour. And shocking to me :lol: , the Irish did not appear to be on the Road to Perdition, by the mixing and matching of the three institutions! :rolleyes:

Secondbest
02-06-2016, 11:52 AM
If anyone is interested I just read on vegasinsider that Billy Walters went with the broncos when the line to +6. Don't know if true or not but that was what they wrote.

Shelby
02-06-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm probably one of the few Bronco fans here. I've been one since I knew what football was --hard not to be when you grow up in Colorado. I've been watching the NFL channel since Monday. I feel like it's Christmas eve right now. I cannot wait for the game. I love me some Peyton. Been cooking today so I don't have to do much tomorrow except drink wine to calm my nerves and be glued to the tv :)

Grits
02-07-2016, 08:28 AM
I'm probably one of the few Bronco fans here. I've been one since I knew what football was --hard not to be when you grow up in Colorado. I've been watching the NFL channel since Monday. I feel like it's Christmas eve right now. I cannot wait for the game. I love me some Peyton. Been cooking today so I don't have to do much tomorrow except drink wine to calm my nerves and be glued to the tv :)

Shelby, I imagine there are plenty of Broncos fans. Remember, this room's pretty big!! Aside from Cam, there's no other quarterback I'd rather see on the field than Peyton.

Enjoy your good food, your wine, and most of all tonight's game, this has been a long year of football. Kick off can't come soon enough.

It's Christmas morning....

#KEEP POUNDING
BRING THE LOMBARDI HOME TO CAROLINA

ebcorde
02-07-2016, 08:46 AM
than good plays since he came back. That will cost Denver. This game is a lock. Carolina.

Denver's only hope, Carolina inexplicably has a lot of turnovers. Not seeing it. these guys are too confident like the old great dominant NFC teams

Tom
02-07-2016, 08:50 AM
#I'mwithShelby..... :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

*sing*
Payton's gonna blow 'em out

Secondbest
02-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Tom beat me to it. All you hear is Carolina blows them out or wins close.Denver can only win close blah blah.No one picks Denver in a blowout.As an contrarian pick Denver big is my pick.

barahona44
02-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Tom beat me to it. All you hear is Carolina blows them out or wins close.Denver can only win close blah blah.No one picks Denver in a blowout.As an contrarian pick Denver big is my pick.
The Panthers in a blowout could be construed as a contrarian pick to the contrarian pick :)

Secondbest
02-07-2016, 10:40 AM
The Panthers in a blowout could be construed as a contrarian pick to the contrarian pick :)
:D

Grits
02-07-2016, 10:55 AM

This won't happen. Any team can lose--and does. Panthers did so this year--once. ;) But, they won't allow the turnovers, the interceptions, etc, that it'll take in order to be beaten by a blowout. Last night, Rivera was named NFL Coach Of The Year, Cam was named NFL MVP and NFL Offensive Player Of The Year. This coach, this young man, this team wants this game badly.

SRU has spoken of heart. They're wrapped up with it. They've been totally dismissed this year while winning throughout. This game may be a lot of things, but it won't be... Denver in a romp. Not against these guys. Not happening tonight.

Valuist
02-07-2016, 11:38 AM
YTD: 54-38-1

Carolina -4

IMO, Carolina is bettable up to -5 1/2. At minus 6, I would pass. Denver's D is very good but only slightly better than Carolina. Carolina actually has better pass D (73.5 QB rating against is best in NFL; Denver at 78.8 is 4th). Denver slightly better against the run. But offensively, Carolina has strong edges in rush yards/game and QB rating. But the biggest edge of all is in yards/point; a stat I like because it takes into account the empty yards of special teams and penalties.

Carolina 1st offensively in yards/point; 8th defensively in yards/point against
Denver 20th offensively in yards/point; 15th defensively in yards/point against

Panthers also has strong edges in kickoff returns (5th) while Denver is 27th. In penalty yardage, Carolina is 10th in least penalty yardage while Denver is 24th.

IMO, Carolina had a tougher road, beating Arizona and Seattle, while Denver beat a Steeler team hurt by injuries, and a New England team with numerous players less than 100%. Carolina's first half vs Seattle was arguably the best half of football by any team this year. I'm not going to complicate things. Sometimes its ok to take the chalk.

Under 43 1/2

While I'm on Carolina, I'm on them at -4, not -5.5 or 6. I don't see a blowout. The under is a partial hedge, but I see both coaches (yes, even Riverboat Ron) coaching defensively. I don't think either QB throws for over 250. I expect plenty of runs, which will keep the clock moving. Didn't get the best number, but that's because I waited too long.

NJ Stinks
02-07-2016, 12:26 PM
They've been totally dismissed this year while winning throughout.

Maybe before the season began but not since the season started. The Panthers were favored in 14 of 16 regular season games and both playoff games.

Or maybe it just gives "totally dismissed" new meaning! ;)

ManU918
02-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Just got my block numbers... Bought two...

Carolina 0 and Denver 0
Denver 6 and Carolina 7

For the first time since the Bears - Colts Super Bowl I have an actual chance... Usually I get stuck with numbers like 9 and 2.

Grits
02-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Maybe before the season began but not since the season started. The Panthers were favored in 14 of 16 regular season games and both playoff games.

Or maybe it just gives "totally dismissed" new meaning! ;)

NJ, doubted would have been, on my part, a far better choice of words. This has been a constant, and the Panthers have been motivated greatly by it. :)

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 01:09 PM
If anyone is interested I just read on vegasinsider that Billy Walters went with the broncos when the line to +6. Don't know if true or not but that was what they wrote.

He prob has massive bet on Carolina at the opener and is looking for el centro.

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 01:14 PM
NJ, doubted would have been, on my part, a far better choice of words. This has been a constant, and the Panthers have been motivated greatly by it. :)

I know the greatest motivator is when 'nobody' thinks you can win, or a team feels 'disrespected' in some fashion. I haven't seen Carolina get disrespected, especially these last 2 weeks, what have you seen that is genuine in that regard?

horses4courses
02-07-2016, 01:18 PM

He probably has Carolina on a favorable money line as well.

Grits
02-07-2016, 02:08 PM
I know the greatest motivator is when 'nobody' thinks you can win, or a team feels 'disrespected' in some fashion. I haven't seen Carolina get disrespected, especially these last 2 weeks, what have you seen that is genuine in that regard?

Not during the playoffs, prior to. They've been vocal about the disrespect throughout the regular season. I've watched a lot of football, last year and this past year, interviews, etc. so this is not something I'm going to debate regarding Carolina.

..... As an aside, please, read for a minute more.... Horse racing's been nowhere on my radar since BC. I've watched NFL, as I said, for decades. With Carolina, I've come back to it and not for the nouveau fantasy stuff. Too, I live here. If I had a daughter to whom I'd given a fine education, I'd talk seriously with her--suggesting a path. To intern, to work entry level, ground floor with a franchise in whatever city, etc, just to get in the door with the NFL.

The NFL is only going to grow and hire more women in their offices. We now make up 46% of the fan base. NFL is making changes, accordingly. Horse racing doesn't care about us--not bettors, not women, and the list goes on. A young woman would be a fool on this dead end road when she could grow and thrive elsewhere. Horse racing is a poor choice for any woman with a desire for success; its being run by pot bellied old men.

Sorry for my little rant. I've been thinking about this for months, and Super Bowl Sunday is a good day to let it rip. :lol:

Secondbest
02-07-2016, 02:15 PM
He probably has Carolina on a favorable money line as well.
Nothing would surprise me.

thaskalos
02-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Horse racing is a poor choice for any woman with a desire for success;
It isn't much of a choice for any older man with a "desire for success", either. :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 03:29 PM
Not during the playoffs, prior to. They've been vocal about the disrespect throughout the regular season. I've watched a lot of football, last year and this past year, interviews, etc. so this is not something I'm going to debate regarding Carolina.

..... As an aside, please, read for a minute more.... Horse racing's been nowhere on my radar since BC. I've watched NFL, as I said, for decades. With Carolina, I've come back to it and not for the nouveau fantasy stuff. Too, I live here. If I had a daughter to whom I'd given a fine education, I'd talk seriously with her--suggesting a path. To intern, to work entry level, ground floor with a franchise in whatever city, etc, just to get in the door with the NFL.

The NFL is only going to grow and hire more women in their offices. We now make up 46% of the fan base. NFL is making changes, accordingly. Horse racing doesn't care about us--not bettors, not women, and the list goes on. A young woman would be a fool on this dead end road when she could grow and thrive elsewhere. Horse racing is a poor choice for any woman with a desire for success; its being run by pot bellied old men.

Sorry for my little rant. I've been thinking about this for months, and Super Bowl Sunday is a good day to let it rip. :lol:

I agree, 'racing' is run by petty bitter old men with agendas (much like the MLB HOF).

Think of how impressive Julie Krone was to break through that veil of hate to win big races!

About Carolina's 'disrespect' card I would guess that what they had to deal with this year isn't anything a team who had a bunch of losing or average seasons before this breakthrough would have to deal with. I don't think the people who were questioning their success had anything personal towards Carolina specifically it was more they were surprised at all the wins, I mean, who wouldn't be?

But, all that really matters is if Carolina truly believes in their heart of hearts that this disrespect card is true, if they can get a chip on their shoulder from it, that's all that really matters, so far so good!

Grits
02-07-2016, 04:03 PM
I agree, 'racing' is run by petty bitter old men with agendas (much like the MLB HOF).

Think of how impressive Julie Krone was to break through that veil of hate to win big races!

About Carolina's 'disrespect' card I would guess that what they had to deal with this year isn't anything a team who had a bunch of losing or average seasons before this breakthrough would have to deal with. I don't think the people who were questioning their success had anything personal towards Carolina specifically it was more they were surprised at all the wins, I mean, who wouldn't be?

But, all that really matters is if Carolina truly believes in their heart of hearts that this disrespect card is true, if they can get a chip on their shoulder from it, that's all that really matters, so far so good!

I agree with your every word.... :ThmbUp:

This programming is fantastic this afternoon. I hope the coverage wins CBS an Emmy award. The piece that just aired on Zaevion Dobson, the 15 year old star football player at his Tennessee high school, who dropped to cover and shield three girls, saving their lives but losing his own, is one of the most touching I've seen in a good while. RIP Zaevion.

....And now JB and Coach Cowher are talking with our troops in Afghanistan via satellite feed. <3

thaskalos
02-07-2016, 05:40 PM
My figures have Carolina favored by a very small margin...but this is clearly a case where Carolina as a whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. I lost money betting against Carolina in both of the last two games...and I have finally become a believer. It is impossible to accurately rate certain teams by conventional stats...just as it is impossible to accurately rate certain horses by conventional speed figures.

The matchup of the Denver offense against the Carolina defense is a total mismatch in my eyes...and the only unanswered question I have is the effect that the Denver pass rush will have on Cam Newton. Seeing that both Seattle and Arizona were able to apply great pressure on the quarterback, but neither was able to lay a glove on Newton...I like Newton's chances against Denver as well.

There is one category in which I trust my figures...and that's in measuring Peyton Manning as a passer. I believe without a doubt that Peyton Manning, in his current state, is the worst quarterback to ever set foot on a Super Bowl playing field. And that spells doom for the Broncos in this one...IMO.

Carolina, in a run-away...38-9.

lamboguy
02-07-2016, 05:44 PM
in the last 2 hours they have been betting Denver like they know the final score!

i saw the line down to -4 from - 5 1/2 earlier today.

lamboguy
02-07-2016, 05:45 PM
i would be betting on the Panthers with confidence now.

thaskalos
02-07-2016, 05:47 PM
i would be betting on the Panthers with confidence now.
If Carolina fails to cover...my kid's college education might be in doubt.

horses4courses
02-07-2016, 05:56 PM
in the last 2 hours they have been betting Denver like they know the final score!

i saw the line down to -4 from - 5 1/2 earlier today.

You're right.
Makes no sense to me.

lamboguy
02-07-2016, 06:10 PM
i was just looking at the coin toss propositions. they have 5 different ways to bet on the outcome. they are charging $102- $100 if you want to bet the coin toss. heads is a slight favorite over tails.

RXB
02-07-2016, 06:31 PM
I just hope it's a good game; I don't care who wins. Carolina has been the #1 team this year so they certainly would deserve it. If Manning goes out a winner that's fine, too.

davew
02-07-2016, 06:35 PM
what does this mean? (so I know how to root)

Panthers vs Broncos - 1st Quarter Lines
Carolina Panthers vs Denver Broncos 02/07/16 18:35 EST
Over 7.5 (-110)

RXB
02-07-2016, 06:54 PM
Good tackle by Talib. Denver's D is damn good, should keep them in the game.

Tom
02-07-2016, 07:05 PM
Going to be hard to top puppymonkeybaby.

Grits
02-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Talib you SOB!!!!! That's 2 personals. And you're off sides. Stewie gets the TD.

Tom
02-07-2016, 07:35 PM
When this clown sign with Carolina?
Guy is a total jerk.
Bench-city.

Valuist
02-07-2016, 08:23 PM
So if the game was over now, who would be MVP? Von Miller? Can't give it to Peyton....he's been lousy. Score should probably be 7-6 Carolina.

thaskalos
02-07-2016, 08:28 PM
So if the game was over now, who would be MVP? Von Miller? Can't give it to Peyton....he's been lousy. Score should probably be 7-6 Carolina.
The only chance the Carolina bettors have is if Manning remains in the game.

MutuelClerk
02-07-2016, 08:29 PM
Instant replay on the Cotchery non-catch was a big and I think wrong call. Even if Cam turns it over after that it isn't for a TD. I see a lot of passes hitting hands of both offense and defense and falling incomplete. That may change in the second half and a huge interception could turn the tide.

Purposely started watching late on DVR and speeding thru. Seems like a ton of Super hero commercials. Skipped thru those, the commercials I've seen aren't very good. Back to REAMDE.

ebcorde
02-07-2016, 08:33 PM
I lot big money. These chokers ain't winning.

Where's Olsen? Where's Stewart.

I'll tell you exactly what happened.

#1 All they had to do was let Manning beat them.
#2 All of a sudden they STOP looking for Olsen.
#3 All of a sudden they stop giving Stewart the ball.

Carolina's offensive coordinator is pulling a Seattle 3rd down crap plan in last year's super bowl. No, don't give the ball to Lynch, inside pass to a TE on the goal line with defenders on the goal line DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And who the F is #35. Never give him the ball again, he can show his kids his fumbles 50 years from now.

Here's how it will end.
Close game at the end, Newton will start looking for Olsen , BUT by then 3-4 Denver players will surround him. INTERCEPT the ball, game over.

Pisses me off because Belicheck would be throwing 50 times to Gronkowski, and he's right.. LET THE GOOD PLAYERS WIN THE GAME. Keep the fukking coaches out of it.

PS and why is #43 in the game blocking. Or SHOULD I SAY TRYING TO BLOCK, HE"S TOO SMALL AND HIS DECISUION MAKING IS WEAK, HE RAN
AWAY FROM DEMARCUS WARE 2x. GET HIM THE F OUTTA THERE HE CAN'T BLOCK.

I am pissed off, now my family is scared of me.

Grits
02-07-2016, 08:36 PM
With new rule for next year, (which doesn't help tonight) two personals, and Talib would be out of the game. The pep talk may be grand in both locker rooms at the half, but neither QB is doing a lot of smiling, and I've not seen Cam look this tired at the half at any time this year. ..... This is gonna be one hard fought second.

thaskalos
02-07-2016, 08:37 PM
I lot big money. These chokers ain't winning.

Where's Olsen? Where's Stewart.

I'll tell you exactly what happened.

#1 All they had to do was let Manning beat them.
#2 All of a sudden they STOP looking for Olsen.
#3 All of a sudden they stop giving Stewart the ball.

Carolina's offensive coordinator is pulling a Seattle 3rd down crap plan in last year's super bowl. No, don't give the ball to Lynch, inside pass to a TE on the goal line with defenders on the goal line DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And who the F is #35. Never give him the ball again, he can show his kids his fumbles 50 years from now.

Here's how it will end.
Close game at the end, Newton will start looking for Olsen , BUT by then 3-4 Denver players will surround him. INTERCEPT the ball, game over.

Pisses me off because Belicheck would be throwing 50 times to Gronkowski, and he's right.. LET THE GOOD PLAYERS WIN THE GAME. Keep the fukking coaches out of it.

I am pissed off, now my family is scared of me.

There is still hope. Bet the money on Carolina -4.5 for the second half.

Secondbest
02-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Denver gets 7 yds on 1st down run up the middle on 2nd manning incomplete on 3 rd. Field is a total disgrace. Very embarassing for the NFL

Kash$
02-07-2016, 08:43 PM
Carolina punched right in the face

Dark Horse
02-07-2016, 09:17 PM
What a crappy game. lol

elysiantraveller
02-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Simms, "He threw it so hard Ted Ginn could not make the catch..." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

azeri98
02-07-2016, 09:19 PM
This is a terrible game, a cavalcade of errors not just by the players, the refs too, Carolina just keeps shooting themselves in the foot, I have to give Denver's defense some credit but the Panthers have just been awful. Worst Super Bowl game in years.

tucker6
02-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Peyton is trying his best to keep Thask above water. Both qb's are playing beyond poorly. If either gets the mvp, then it's fixed.

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 09:48 PM
The first personal on Talib was a bush league call u don't call that in this kind of game.

Officiating has been awful, the 'unsportsmanlike' penalties shouldn't be called in this game, ever.

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 09:49 PM
The only chance the Carolina bettors have is if Manning remains in the game.

Exactly. He choked it away you can't drop the ball at midfield with a 2 score lead and momentum.

thaskalos
02-07-2016, 09:49 PM
Peyton is trying his best to keep Thask above water. Both qb's are playing beyond poorly. If either gets the mvp, then it's fixed.
I am not dead yet...but I am on the respirator.

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 09:51 PM

If I didnt know any better I would think Manning is playing FOR Carolina. If Carolina wins, Manning is their MVP.

thaskalos
02-07-2016, 09:54 PM
You can't worry about hurting Manning's feelings here. You bench him...and you win yourself a Super Bowl.

thaskalos
02-07-2016, 09:59 PM
What kind of offensive play-calling is this for Denver? Back to back runs on second and 12?

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 10:00 PM
You can't worry about hurting Manning's feelings here. You bench him...and you win yourself a Super Bowl.

He's a civilian in a few minutes, so hurting his feelings is less important than if he had another year.

Love the strategy run run run punt force Newton to march 70 yards

RXB
02-07-2016, 10:01 PM
Von Miller better be voted MVP.

I think that's game over.

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 10:01 PM
What kind of offensive play-calling is this for Denver? Back to back runs on second and 12?

It's smart. Don't throw the game away. Make Carolina earn it.

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 10:02 PM
Von Miller better be voted MVP.

I think that's game over.

100 pct MVP, miller won this game for them. Newton choked it away.

Kash$
02-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Cam don't forget to dab.. :lol:

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 10:12 PM
Cam don't forget to dab.. :lol:

Hopefully someone on his team knows the Heimlich maneuver.

:lol:

PhantomOnTour
02-07-2016, 10:15 PM
D

Clowns don't win titles

ctownraces@bp
02-07-2016, 10:15 PM

Newton is Denvers MVP no dabbing tonight

Robert Fischer
02-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Peyton every bit as bad as advertised.
I knew that coming in (when i picked Denver !!! :jump: ) ,
...but I thought he would have 'managed' the game better, and erred on the side of caution, when in fact he threw some inexplicable balls over the middle into coverage.

Any reasonably solid QB wins today for Denver.

I thought Cam played a solid game, and to be fair had little chance tonight, but I also feel his reg season MVP was a team effort.
When the turnovers and game momentum aren't all going his way, a rocket arm and a LeBron James' athleticism aren't enough.

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 10:19 PM
Newton is Denvers MVP no dabbing tonight

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25465550/someone-just-dropped-a-600k-bet-on-the-panthers-to-win-super-bowl-50

ebcorde
02-07-2016, 10:22 PM
I'm shocKed! Really shocked! I was yelling so much because I thought it was the Eagles.

I could have played for Denver AS QB AND TOOK A KNEE ON EVERY PLAY AND STILL WON THE GAME!

Mike Shula sucks, ran the ball on first down on almost every play. Now tell me why Belicheck throws the ball 50 times a game when the running game is not working? because it makes no sense to run for 1 freaking yard every time.

all that Cam Newton smiles "I got this" I'll never root for him or Carolina ever again. I see him I'll let him know "you had your chance a-hole never again!"

I BET CAROLINA BECAUSE I THOUGHT CAM NEWTON HAD A MICHAEL JORDAN, KOBE BRYANT 'I GOT THIS' ATTITUDE....NAH HE'S MORE LIKE LEBRON.

Tom
02-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Denver gets 7 yds on 1st down run up the middle on 2nd manning incomplete on 3 rd. Field is a total disgrace. Very embarassing for the NFL

The super bowl Champs played on it for four quarters.

Tom
02-07-2016, 10:27 PM

Carolina 0 and Denver 0
Denver 6 and Carolina 7

For the first time since the Bears - Colts Super Bowl I have an actual chance... Usually I get stuck with numbers like 9 and 2.

Nice blocks! :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 10:27 PM
I'm shocKed! Really shocked! I was yelling so much because I thought it was the Eagles.

I could have played for Denver AS QB AND TOOK A KNEE ON EVERY PLAY AND STILL WON THE GAME!

Mike Shula sucks, ran the ball on first down on almost every play. Now tell me why Belicheck throws the ball 50 times a game when the running game is not working? because it makes no sense to run for 1 freaking yard every time.

all that Cam Newton smiles "I got this" I'll never root for him or Carolina ever again. I see him I'll let him know "you had your chance a-hole never again!"

I BET CAROLINA BECAUSE I THOUGHT CAM NEWTON HAD A MICHAEL JORDAN, KOBE BRYANT 'I GOT THIS' ATTITUDE....NAH HE'S MORE LIKE LEBRON.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1934486&postcount=2

Read the 2nd paragraph and read (carefully) the last 9 words of paragraph 3

Secondbest
02-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Tremendous defense . Cam looked lost. Is 14 pts a blowout?

Secondbest
02-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Von miller mvp. Boomer is right Wade phillips last week and this week outcoached Them all.

tucker6
02-07-2016, 10:34 PM

I always live by that motto

Tom
02-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Payton:

*sing*

Happy trails, everyone.

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 10:39 PM
"This ones for Pat"

Amazing moment. Full circle.

Grits
02-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Tremendous defense . Cam looked lost. Is 14 pts a blowout?

No. 14 points is not a blowout....but you knew this before you asked.

I've watched a lot of football games, many of them a lot better than this one. I spoke early on--that nothing was a lock, they can all get beaten--just too many were all over Carolina. I spoke, too, of the Panthers wanting this badly. Not badly enough, however, to overcome the Broncos defense. Tonight, Cam was grounded, eating dirt, as much as he was upright, on his feet. Peyton goes out on top and for that I'm really pleased. He's a great player and a greater man--and that's what matters.

Remember, gentlemen, Southern women are gracious in defeat. It's been real. ;)

LottaKash
02-07-2016, 10:45 PM
I rated the game a "B", for boring...

Too many Flags, and except for a couple, imo, lousy commercials as well...

I expected more...I was just very disappointed with the whole thing, is all..

Stillriledup
02-07-2016, 10:48 PM

I've watched a lot of football games, many of them a lot better than this one. I spoke early on--that nothing was a lock, they can all get beaten--just too many were all over Carolina. I spoke, too, of the Panthers wanting this badly. Not badly enough, however, to overcome the Broncos defense. Tonight, Cam was grounded, eating dirt, as much as he was upright, on his feet. Peyton goes out on top and for that I'm really pleased. He's a great player and a greater man--and that's what matters.

Sorry Grits, tough game, classy post.

Next year,

#keep pounding.

Tom
02-07-2016, 10:48 PM
MVP should be the guy who decided to pass on the orange jerseys.
Too many loses in orange.

ebcorde
02-07-2016, 10:56 PM

my oldest son said it was a bad bet. But no matter how good Denver was
Carolina was incredibly stupid.

1. why did 21 not tackle the punt returner instead he pulls up and lets him go
for 66 yards.
BAD COACHING!! Ypu have to tackle him , if your wrong 15 yard penalty beats 66 yard return

2. why did offensive tackle 70 push Denver guy 5 yards behind the play and take his team out of perfect FG range, then the kicler misses the FG.

I'll tell you why, he's made his 5 million for the year.

3. My sons bragging about Denver D, so I say Gronk caught 10 balls on this D because NE WR's run short routes taking the 2 top DB defenders out of the play then he sends Gronk deep, why aren't they TRYING, say again TRYING to do that with Olsen?

4, When your O-line can't block use 2-3 TE not RB's. If they rush 5-6 you block with 6-7.

5. Peyton did nothing. nothing. and that's what I expected.

Carolina rthat was the worst coached team I've ever seen in a super bowl.

tucker6
02-07-2016, 11:02 PM
"This ones for Pat"

Amazing moment. Full circle.
contrived

Secondbest
02-07-2016, 11:03 PM

All They need is a wideout or two. They Will be in it for awhile. You don' t win 17 games if your not good. And as we Said in the old neighborhood Grits your allright :)

ReplayRandall
02-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Congratulations to the Denver Broncos and their fans for a great "Defense" that carried the team to a 24-10 win in Super Bowl 50.....

Robert Fischer
02-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Like Mike Tyson says everyone has a plan till they get hit in the mouth.

Can Denver hit Car in the mouth and turn this into a game?

Also, one thing you won't hear any analyst talk about in the next 2 weeks is the footing in Carolina for both their wins. It was 'soft turf" in the Seattle game and I read grits report of bad weather for this most recent game so I don't know if that was a "fast track"

A totally different surface. Not that it will affect Carolina, heck it might even make them better, but it's something to think about.

Iron Mike, right again

ebcorde
02-07-2016, 11:12 PM
MVP should be the guy who decided to pass on the orange jerseys.
Too many loses in orange.
NO, MVP is the Carolina Punt coverage guy who thought the smart move was to perform as a matador.. ole ole

that game was a lock I told my kids. Cam is like American Pharoah. it's a lock
17-1 people. Now everyone's like they were 10-8.

how did Peyton beat him?

Grits
02-07-2016, 11:15 PM
All They need is a wideout or two. They Will be in it for awhile. You don' t win 17 games if your not good. And as we Said in the old neighborhood Grits your allright

Secondbest, and that's a fine, fine compliment; one much appreciated.

On a side note--the commercials, that "monkey baby" was just GROSS. The singing sheep in the Honda truck commercial were hilarious. And Helen Mirren discussing drinking and driving for Budweiser was outstanding. Gorgeous, Oscar winning talent that she is. :)

Valuist
02-07-2016, 11:17 PM
Interesting game. Denver wins by 2 TDs, despite less than 200 yards of offense. Carolina is assessed over 100 yards in penalties, turns ball over 4 times and misses a field goal. Tough to win making that many mistakes.

Robert Fischer
02-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Secondbest, and that's a fine, fine compliment; one much appreciated.

On a side note--the commercials, that "monkey baby" was just GROSS. The singing sheep in the Honda truck commercial were hilarious. And Helen Mirren discussing drinking and driving for Budweiser was outstanding. Gorgeous, Oscar winning talent that she is. :)

I liked the puppy monkey baby one, (i call it pug monkey baby) because i babysit a pug once in a while.

My crowd also seemed to like the 'NFL Babies'

Valuist
02-07-2016, 11:20 PM
Under 43 1/2

While I'm on Carolina, I'm on them at -4, not -5.5 or 6. I don't see a blowout. The under is a partial hedge, but I see both coaches (yes, even Riverboat Ron) coaching defensively. I don't think either QB throws for over 250. I expect plenty of runs, which will keep the clock moving. Didn't get the best number, but that's because I waited too long.

1-1 on side and total

season: 55-39-1 58.5%

Grits
02-07-2016, 11:22 PM
I liked the puppy monkey baby one, (i call it pug monkey baby) because i babysit a pug once in a while.

My crowd also seemed to like the 'NFL Babies'

I'm wrong. You got it right, Robert. But, it was so gross. The NFL babies were good. The Doritos ultrasound/fetus one, wow, it made the father look like a real nothing. That one was bad, too.

Rookies
02-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Congrats to Peyton, Von Miller & the Denver D! With all due respect, btw, Wade Phillips was the MVP!

Now enough with the accolades!

That was simply the worst SB I've EVER seen 2 teams play! It was horribly flawed, excruciating to watch and the best team limped over the finish line.

1) The QBs were terrible. Cam couldn't hit Passes, couldn't run and then had the brain cramp of 50 SBs, not diving for that ball with the game on the line. That play will haunt him and will be replayed as many times as the Butler pick from last year, throughout the off season. And, he was moving in quicksand to get plays off!

Peyton couldn't do a thing and every time he went back in the pocket, disaster seemed imminent. For God sakes, the Broncos Offense set a record for 3rd. Down conversion futility!

2) The Carolina Wideouts simply could not catch a ball and the RBs were sloppy with turnovers.

3) There were several of the stupidest players on both sides, with their foolish penalties!

4) Rivera pulled the switch on challenges waaaaay to early.

5) Sloppy FG kicking, punt coverage, punting itself.

6) The Officials were their usually incompetent selves.
And Phil Simms? Was he even watching the same game anyone else was? He was slow to comment, frequently missing what transpired in plays and penalties. An awful CBS choice!

I can't wait to bring up this game, when exactly?

NEVER AGAIN!

garyscpa
02-07-2016, 11:28 PM
than good plays since he came back. That will cost Denver. This game is a lock. Carolina.

Denver's only hope, Carolina inexplicably has a lot of turnovers. Not seeing it. these guys are too confident like the old great dominant NFC teams

I knew the Broncos had it when I read this. :D

kingfin66
02-07-2016, 11:31 PM
1-1 on side and total

season: 55-39-1 58.5%

You have to be pretty damned happy with a season like that. Results like that are very difficult to attain. My hats off to you!

ebcorde
02-07-2016, 11:32 PM
I knew the Broncos had it when I read this. :D

Peyton did exactly what In said he would do. I said Carolina has to screw up, but I thought, I THOUGHT they really wanted that ring. I was wrong about that.

only a few players really really want that ring, the rest just want the money.
They should make 25% of their salary Winning the super bowl.

Kash$
02-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Cam's-- press conference-he doesn't get it..

Valuist
02-07-2016, 11:44 PM
You have to be pretty damned happy with a season like that. Results like that are very difficult to attain. My hats off to you!

Thanks. Sometimes the hard work pays off.

Greyfox
02-08-2016, 12:12 AM
Peyton Place ended in a story book ending. :jump:

zico20
02-08-2016, 12:26 AM

If he retires, like we all believe he will, him and Elway would be the only QBs to win the SB and then retire.

Stillriledup
02-08-2016, 12:30 AM
If he retires, like we all believe he will, him and Elway would be the only QBs to win the SB and then retire.

With an epic defense like that, it's hard to walk away. The trick is that Peyton can't play a full season and hold up. It would be a shame to waste this window to repeat as champions due to having a QB who might be good enough.

NJ Stinks
02-08-2016, 12:52 AM
While I'm definitely not going to endorse a 39 year old QB's team in the Super Bowl - I'm not going to jump on the Carolina bandwagon either.

This far out I'm thinking Manning and the Bronco D will keep this game under. Peyton is not going to hand the ball to the Panthers on a silver platter in the first half like Palmer and Wilson did. In fact, I think it's likely that the Bronco game plan will be protect the ball on offense and and win the game with their defense.

Will it work? I don't know but I do know Denver has been in a lot of close/under games and have done well in those games.

As for Carolina, I'm not sold on them being a superior road team. Nor am I convinced that their offense will respond well when Denver's D makes them wish they were still playing against Arizona's D. But I do believe the Panthers D is quite capable of shutting down the Broncos' offense.

Anyway, one thing about playing the o/u in the Super Bowl, the total usually goes up as game time approaches. I hope that proves to be the case this year.

This game almost made up for my loss on Seahawks last year.

A few comments on the game:

1. Rookies was right about Wade Phillips. And Rookies was right about Carolina wasting so much time on offense. I would imagine Cam can run a No Huddle offense? Why not in the second half tonight? :confused:

2. Newton had no time back in the pocket tonight. Pinning this loss on Cam is not fair IMO. Although I must say I'm not sure who was at fault for all those Panther false start penalties. The center maybe?

3. Was it just me or did the refs appear to have bet on the Broncos tonight? (shrug)

4. I like Phil Sims.

Stillriledup
02-08-2016, 01:40 AM

1. Rookies was right about Wade Phillips. And Rookies was right about Carolina wasting so much time on offense. I would imagine Cam can run a No Huddle offense? Why not in the second half tonight? :confused:

2. Newton had no time back in the pocket tonight. Pinning this loss on Cam is not fair IMO. Although I must say I'm not sure who was at fault for all those Panther false start penalties. The center maybe?

3. Was it just me or did the refs appear to have bet on the Broncos tonight? (shrug)

4. I like Phil Sims.

It was just you. Refs were in the pockets of Carolina. ;)

cj's dad
02-08-2016, 04:27 AM
Boring game

tucker6
02-08-2016, 06:57 AM

4. I like Phil Sims.
You know, sometimes I like Phil Simms and sometimes I don't. His commentary is good for the most part. The times I can't stand him is when he makes excuses for poor qb play. He did that on numerous occasions last night, and that bothers me. If you're willing to criticize other positions on the field, do the same for qbs. Troy Aikman keeps it real when talking about qb play. They screw up too.

tucker6
02-08-2016, 06:58 AM
Boring game
I can't recall the last SB that was this boring.

rastajenk
02-08-2016, 07:37 AM
The wife-unit had a 9-7 square in her office pool, so I had something to root for in the second half, but that wasn't enough to keep me awake. I nodded off :sleeping: in the second half, woke up in time to hope for the Denver punter to run 40 yards the wrong way for a time-killing safety to make her 4-2 square a good one. No such luck.

pandy
02-08-2016, 07:49 AM
I can't recall the last SB that was this boring.

I felt the same way. It was basically which Quarterback got the ball knocked out of his hand less often when attempting to pass, that's the winner.

Rookies
02-08-2016, 08:24 AM
The wife-unit had a 9-7 square in her office pool, so I had something to root for in the second half, but that wasn't enough to keep me awake. I nodded off :sleeping: in the second half, woke up in time to hope for the Denver punter to run 40 yards the wrong way for a time-killing safety to make her 4-2 square a good one. No such luck.

No kidding. Me too.

When the highlight of the game is trying to figure out a way that your really bad squares can come in, you know you've witnessed the stinker of all time! :rolleyes:

I just heard an NFL talking head say that Peyton didn't play badly! :bang: When you lead your team to a SB record for offensive futility, how much worse can you possibly play? Oh, right- lose it like the opposing guy who was worse! Such high standards. :rolleyes:

Rookies
02-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Here's the thing, GF! He stunk.

But, as someone said last night, nobody will remember 25 years from now that he did and separate the great SB from the clunker. It'll be, how about those Manning lads with 4 SBs to their names. How talented are the genes in that family? ;)

ManU918
02-08-2016, 08:43 AM

Carolina 0 and Denver 0
Denver 6 and Carolina 7

Hit first and third quarter for stacks on stacks on stacks on stacks on stacks!!!!!!!

ManU918
02-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Hit first and third quarter for stacks on stacks on stacks on stacks on stacks!!!!!!!

Oh yea and I'll also add this red board while I'm at it....

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a532/Oxbow13/Broncos%20ML_zps5jlinhbu.png (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Oxbow13/media/Broncos%20ML_zps5jlinhbu.png.html)

Kash$
02-08-2016, 09:30 AM
Oh yea and I'll also add this red board while I'm at it....

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a532/Oxbow13/Broncos%20ML_zps5jlinhbu.png (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Oxbow13/media/Broncos%20ML_zps5jlinhbu.png.html)

How did you make out for the season?

Manning 4 super bowls four different coaches

ManU918
02-08-2016, 10:03 AM
How did you make out for the season?

Manning 4 super bowls four different coaches

In the red for the majority of the season but because of the two blocks I hit last night I ended up in the black. My NFL betting this season can really be defined by a few plays in a few games. The Ravens/Browns game in week 5 comes to mind. Ravens were something like -5 at home and were up 14-3 in the second quarter. On a 3rd and long from their own 20 yard line or so the Browns threw an INT but some ass clown on the Ravens decided to hit the QB 3 seconds after he released the ball. That changed the entire game and cost me as many figures as the fingers you have on one of your hands.

Shelby
02-08-2016, 10:48 AM
What a game!!!! I'm hoarse this morning from cheering.

Tor Ekman
02-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Had 4-0 square in a $20 per box pool at work, so the 2 pt conversion got me paid $500, felt good until I learned that a buddy of mine lost out on a $30K score due to that same 2 pts.

Secondbest
02-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Thanks. Sometimes the hard work pays off.
It usually does. Good going this year. Congrats.

delayjf
02-08-2016, 11:42 AM
only a few players really really want that ring, the rest just want the money. They should make 25% of their salary Winning the super bowl.

I'm 100% sure the players would not agree to this, or they would insist that the Super bowl be played every year in a state that does not have the "Jock Tax" i.e. CA. There was an interesting article on Yahoo about how much taxes each player would owe CA in state taxes. Super bowl players would owe about 125,000 to CA.

tucker6
02-08-2016, 11:46 AM
I'm 100% sure the players would not agree to this, or they would insist that the Super bowl be played every year in a state that does not have the "Jock Tax" i.e. CA. There was an interesting article on Yahoo about how much taxes each player would owe CA in state taxes. Super bowl players would owe about 125,000 to CA.
Something isn't right with your numbers, or maybe I don't understand them. The winning SB team collects $102k each player. The losing team collects $51k each player. How do you come up with $125,000 each??

Hoofless_Wonder
02-08-2016, 12:28 PM
what does this mean? (so I know how to root)

Panthers vs Broncos - 1st Quarter Lines
Carolina Panthers vs Denver Broncos 02/07/16 18:35 EST
Over 7.5 (-110)

This was the first quarter total points, over/under at 7.5. The -110 means you need to put up 110 to win 100. Sometimes the "juice" values change to attract more money on one side or the other. An easy (and surprising) over when Denver recovered the fumble in the end zone to go up 10-0.

I ended up making one more play on the game in addition to my Denver wagers, and that was the UNDER (21.5) in the first half. Had to suffer through some agony there the last 6+ mins of the half to reel it in. Turned out to be about the only drama of the game for me.

Obviously this game came down to turnovers, and in turn I think that is related to experience and focus. If Carolina had been taking on a team that was a 1st time Super Bowl entrant, things would have been a lot different. For those who saw Wayne Root's write up on the game, he was spot on, and is now 22-9 in the last 31 Big Games.

iwearpurple
02-08-2016, 11:32 PM
Something isn't right with your numbers, or maybe I don't understand them. The winning SB team collects $102k each player. The losing team collects $51k each player. How do you come up with $125,000 each??

Bernie Sanders Tax Rate