PDA

View Full Version : Over 28,000 at AP on Sunday

Valuist
06-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Obviously Fathers Day had something to do with it. It was so crowded, I decided to head home and watch on TVG. Monmouth was second in attendance with around 23,000. Not bad for a sport we're constantly told is "dying".

PaceAdvantage
06-21-2004, 11:25 AM
20,000 at Belmont....

andicap
06-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
20,000 at Belmont....

Yeah, the backyard was really packed. I almost got shut out a few times because of the lines and a lot of the people there weren't regulars and not used to using the machines.

It was good to see so many people at the track, tho. I think it's great for the sport, not a cause to complain about the crowds (although the crowds DID bother me, LOL).
In NY, I wonder if some of the 120,000 who came to the Belmont decided to come back on what was an incredible day. 75 degrees, not too windy, sunny. Too cool for the beach, so a good day for the track. They also had a lot of stuff for kids in the backyard. The line for face-painting was a mile long.

Lot of favorites won too which might bring people back. Even if you lose I think people have a good time as long as they cash a few tickets. It's when horses pay $30 and the masses can't figure out how these horses won that they get disillusioned and don't come back. But when the formful horses win and you get to cash a bit, people leave happy. I don't think most people want to take the track home with them --- I think they want to have a good time in the sun with their friends, take a shot or two at some trifectas, and cash some winners so they can brag.

That said, the playground was too crowded for my daughter, so I guess it's good for me they don't get 20K every weekend.

:D

TravisVOX
06-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Andicap...

I'm an hour north of Saratoga but I follow NYRA like my shadow follows me. I love it.

I noticed the insane amount of cars in the backstretch parking lot, usually a good gauge as to the size of the crowd. It's a good thing to see, hopefully it might be a few signs of things to come.

gillenr
06-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Wondering where you got the AP #? Not on DRF, BRIS or Equibase. The per capita at BEL was $90, & MON $62. What was it at AP?

Valuist
06-22-2004, 05:25 PM
I got the attendance # off AP's website:

http://www.arlingtonpark.com/bet_the_races/racing_news/racing_news_06202004a.html

gillenr
06-22-2004, 06:30 PM
That makes AP's per capita $43.

fmhealth
06-23-2004, 05:22 PM
This is the fourth consecutive year that AP has led the nation in attendance on Fathers Day.

I think there were about 2,500 of us "regulars" in attendance today. Wouldn't have another big crowd until the Million.

Valuist
06-23-2004, 05:47 PM
The per capita numbers are hard to figure now because they don't take into account full card simulcasting. But I'm sure there was several hundred strollers there. The newbies have to start somehow.

fmhealth
06-23-2004, 06:33 PM
FYI, 85-90% of all the handle at AP comes in from remote outlets. Obviously very little is actually bet on-track.