PDA

View Full Version : Forestry

OTM Al
06-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Is it just me or is this guy's 3yos just plain fast? There's a decent number of them running on the NYRA circuit right now, Forest Danger being the best so far, and they all just seem to be lightning quick. Its the one sire name that I've been keeping an eye on for a couple months now and I haven't lost with it yet. Anyone else noticed this or do we just have his best here in NY?

cj
06-21-2004, 09:43 AM
He was one seriously quick racehorse when right. Given the current trends, he'll probably sire a Derby winner soon!

Bubbles
06-21-2004, 10:04 AM
I remember he won the G1 King's Bishop at 3, beating a very good horse in Five Star Day. Has the look of a very good sire.

OTM Al
06-21-2004, 10:06 AM
The thing that originally caught my eye was the Tomlinson rating when Forest Danger ran his first. It was an otherworldly 480. There was another Forestry colt in that race too. Never seen 2 Tomlinsons in one race that high. Needless to say I jumped on both. One of his fillies ran very nicely at Belmont on saturday too in a first level allowance, Reforest I think was her name. I've seen about 3 or 4 others as well this spring and all did well.

BTW, nice score on the Mass Cap. I was just feeling proud that I got off 0 with Sightseek.

Valuist
06-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Speaking of Tomlinson ratings, I notice the 2YO with the highest mud Tomlinson rating seems to win an inordinate % of races at 5.5 furlongs or shorter.

I think Pletcher is training quite a few of these Forestry horses. That definitely isn't hurting.

OTM Al
06-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Its got to be capturing the early speed potentential. Early speed on off track usually gives a winner. Early speed in 2yo maiden (or any maiden where none have raced or very very few starts) usually gives the same.

Buddha
06-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Yea, I ahve noticed the same things about the Forestry offspring. Seem to be pretty good, and very fast. There was a 2yo filly last fall at toga that won first out in something like 57 and change going 5/8ths. was a very impressive runner, and then came back to win an allowance, nad i think place in a stakes. i have been trying to watch some of his offspring, and i have seen most in NY, though i am sure that there are some elsewhere.

OTM Al
06-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Another one went wednesday at Belmont, Forest Grove. Second level allowance. Bumped and stumbled at the start, gained the lead by the quarter, dueled with chalk all the way and ended losing to him by 1/2 being on the outside all the way around.

Macdiarmadillo
06-25-2004, 02:56 PM
There's one to follow, long term. Probably will be bet down next time if the trouble was obvious, though.

I like these ones that overcome problems and fight it out, win or lose. The minus is that the young ones will often knock themselves out and you won't see them for a couple months after the effort.

KingChas
06-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Been following Forestry and Tale of the Cats-offspring-doing very well.

fmhealth
06-25-2004, 07:22 PM
FYI. CD Saturday race #2, the #1 horse MISS MAGNOLIA. First timer out of FORESTRY.

Hammerhead
06-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Dumb observation by a dumb handicapper. BUT the more the season progresses you will see more 3 yr olds wininng in the UP CLASS then you will beleve. Watch pay attention start forgetting 5 year olds or for the most part 4 year olds. Watch the maturing 3 year olds with a decent back class and record. Especialy Geldings. They will kick your ass more then once. Remember this statement. Check your database if it is properly maintained. July on is a complete change of age groups and experiance.