PDA

View Full Version : When horses change tracks on the same circuit

trying2win
06-21-2004, 05:32 AM
I recall reading some posts here in the past on this subject. If I remember correctly, one PA member stated he did real well at the Stampede Park spring meet in Calgary, Alberta. Then when the horses moved north to begin the next meet at Northlands Park in Edmonton, he lamented that his results went downhill.

Even though Stampede Park and Northlands Park are 5/8 mile ovals, there are some differences that I think handicappers have to take into account. Here are some of my theories that may make a big or small difference to some horses:

--Calgary is at a much higher elevation than Edmonton. This may affect some horses in a more positive way when they move north to Edmonton.

--The turns are not quite as tight at Northlands Park.

--The length of the stretch to the finish line is shorter at Northlands Park.

--They don't card 6 1/2 furlong races at Stampede Park. At Northlands Park they do. Some of the horses winning regularly at Stampede Park at 6 furlongs while on the lead, may find that extra 1/2 furlong at the 6 1/2 furlong distance too taxing in some cases.

--The composition of the dirt on the track at Northlands Park may be a lot different than at Stampede Park.

--The track crew at Northlands Park may have different maintenance procedures than at Stampede Park.

Anyways, I'm curious how some PA members like to prepare for a new meet, when the horses on their racing circuit change tracks. Do you handicap the same way no matter what the track, or do you consider some subtle differences of the tracks at the start of a new meet?

Is anyone that doesn't live here in Edmonton, planning to visit Northlands Park this year? It's not as fancy or prestigious as visiting Saratoga of course. If you do visit Northlands Park, at least you could say you played the horse races at North America's most northerly A-circuit racetrack!

Well, I'm looking forward to playing the races here at our local track at Northlands Park. The meet starts in a few days, on Fri. June 25/04. I might even meet some PA members out there this year. Who knows?

T2W

Skanoochies
06-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Hey T2W, you forgot the most logical reason. The Oilers and Flames, hate each other. The Eskimos and Stampeders, hate each other. Think maybe a Calgary based horse might be at a disadvantage in Edmonton and vice versa. Maybe the gate crews and maintenance staff have a hand in things. Are the stewards different for each track? :D :D :D

Just kidding, good luck at Northlands,

Skanoochies.:)

trying2win
06-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Skanoochies,

That's a good question regarding whether the stewards are the same for both Stampede Park and Northlands Park. I don't know the answer to that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same people.

Do you ever play the thoroughbred races when they're running at Calgary or Edmonton?

It looks like nobody else wants to reply to this thread. I'm guessing it's either the PA members handicap the same way when horses move to a different track on the same circuit, or else they do indeed handicap differently at the new track. I'm guessing the latter reason, but they don't want to say too much.

I think most of the handicappers here at the PA site don't mind sharing general handicapping advice, but not any of their winning methodologies. If some PA members revealed that they handicap the new track differently on the same circuit, that might be giving away some of their edge. After all we're all competing against each other. We don't want to give away too many of our trade secrets. I can understand that. It might lower our mutuel prices too much.

T2W

Skanoochies
06-21-2004, 10:58 PM
I really don`t agree with that theory. Check some past posts from many on this site, and you will find some great info. Lots willing to share their thoughts and handicapping methods. Myself I`m not the brightest tool in the shed when it comes to computers and programs and such, more of a seat-of-the-pants handicapper. But enjoy the stuff I read here. Hang in there and keep reading this forum and you`ll pick up a lot.of good information.

Good luck.:)

trying2win
06-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Skanoochies,

I'm not a neophyte at handicapping the throughbred races by any means. Been at it for over 40 years. A lot of PA members are altruistic in sharing general handicapping knowledge at this site. I thank them for that. That's good, as I've picked up some good ideas here to add to my game.

I'm just saying that if I had a winning method or winning handicapping style, I wouldn't reveal too many of the specifics either at this site. It might hurt one's edge at this game.

Thanks,

T2W

dav4463
06-22-2004, 01:38 AM
You could post a system that wins, show the proof in the post, and still people would keep doing everything "their way". Win or lose, most people prefer to handicap the races themselves...I don't think anything that is posted would cause you to lose your edge.