PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Mayne the racecaller

Kash$
01-19-2016, 10:24 AM
He called the 5th at Santa Anita on Saturday.

It wasn't funny

cj
01-19-2016, 10:33 AM
I think he actually tried, was just in over his head. One, it shows how tough the job is if you don't practice and learn the craft. Two, Kenny Mayne is a huge horse racing fan. Yes, the call was bad, but just him doing it probably brought plenty much needed publicity to the game.

I don't get people bashing Kenny Mayne. He's one of us.

Tom
01-19-2016, 10:35 AM
He and Hank are two of my favorites. :ThmbUp:

Kash$
01-19-2016, 10:57 AM
I think he actually tried, was just in over his head. One, it shows how tough the job is if you don't practice and learn the craft. Two, Kenny Mayne is a huge horse racing fan. Yes, the call was bad, but just him doing it probably brought plenty much needed publicity to the game.

I think he tried to be funny..and he wasn't.

theyre off from the machine..

Track Phantom
01-19-2016, 10:59 AM

I agree with you. I didn't find it all that big of a deal. However, I vacillate since I do think, at a major race track, bringing in an amateur to call a race does slightly cheapen the product.

cj
01-19-2016, 11:14 AM
I agree with you. I didn't find it all that big of a deal. However, I vacillate since I do think, at a major race track, bringing in an amateur to call a race does slightly cheapen the product.

I can agree with that. I see both sides, just seen a lot of outrage on Twitter that is going way too far IMO.

cj
01-19-2016, 11:15 AM
I think he tried to be funny..and he wasn't.

theyre off from the machine..

Maybe he was...that is his shtick, very dry humor. Some people like him, some don't.

castaway01
01-19-2016, 11:39 AM
They showed it on Sportscenter this morning (Mayne was hosting) in a several-minute segment. If not for Kenny Mayne's influence, there's no way in the world horse racing gets mentioned on Sportscenter in January. So, I don't see why racing fans should be coming down on the guy.

As far as the racecall, from what I could hear he made some dry jokes in the beginning but then actually tried to call the race straight. He called the wrong horse the winner of the photo finish, then unintentionally switched off the PA (audio) system so the people at the track couldn't hear his correction. So, I can see where some people would be worked up over that. He made it clear on Sportscenter that he just screwed up though because he didn't know what he was doing. I don't see the big deal about it.

Stillriledup
01-19-2016, 11:43 AM
They showed it on Sportscenter this morning (Mayne was hosting) in a several-minute segment. If not for Kenny Mayne's influence, there's no way in the world horse racing gets mentioned on Sportscenter in January. So, I don't see why racing fans should be coming down on the guy.

As far as the racecall, from what I could hear he made some dry jokes in the beginning but then actually tried to call the race straight. He called the wrong horse the winner of the photo finish, then unintentionally switched off the PA (audio) system so the people at the track couldn't hear his correction. So, I can see where some people would be worked up over that. He made it clear on Sportscenter that he just screwed up though because he didn't know what he was doing. I don't see the big deal about it.

Totally agree.

thespaah
01-19-2016, 11:57 AM

It bothers me when he tries to be funny.
He doesn't have to try. He should just be himself
Someone needs to tell him "look, there does not need to always be a well timed punchline. Just be yourself".

upthecreek
01-19-2016, 12:19 PM
I just listened to it I've heard worse from "real" racecallers

Stillriledup
01-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Here's Conan o'briens call a couple years back. Good HD video here w Conan getting some pointers from Trevor followed by his call.

iEg-U3RGAlU

thaskalos
01-19-2016, 04:31 PM
Maybe he was...that is his shtick, very dry humor. Some people like him, some don't.

I like him. :ThmbUp:

arw629
01-19-2016, 05:05 PM
I enjoyed his race call ...Brad Free decided to attack him on twitter and it really pissed off Mayne...Free is a dork

arw629
01-19-2016, 05:11 PM
"They left the machine...and betting is closed"

Zaf
01-20-2016, 12:53 AM
Here's Conan o'briens call a couple years back. Good HD video here w Conan getting some pointers from Trevor followed by his call.

iEg-U3RGAlU

That was great :lol:

Z

ebcorde
01-20-2016, 06:30 AM
his stories about being Backup QB at UNLV behind Randall Cunningham are funny.

davew
01-20-2016, 08:31 AM
It was not this race -> Santa Anita Race #5 on Saturday, January 16, 2016

different race or day?

JimmyQ
01-20-2016, 10:11 AM
It was not this race -> Santa Anita Race #5 on Saturday, January 16, 2016

different race or day?
It was Sunday Race 5

JimmyQ

cj
01-20-2016, 10:21 AM
The call is on this page:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/kenny-mayne-called-a-race-at-santa-anita-and-things-got-real-sketchy.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=kenny-mayne-called-a-race-at-santa-anita-and-things-got-real-sketchy

letswastemoney
01-20-2016, 10:35 AM
I didn't think it was bad for a non-professional. He's just not quick and fluid, but it was fun to hear for a one-time thing.

HalvOnHorseracing
01-20-2016, 11:10 AM
I give a lot of credit to someone who knows they might look foolish but they do it anyway. In the end it's humor and entertainment, and not everyone will see it the same way. Having a guest caller at the races only makes you appreciate the skill of Durkin or Denman more.

jballscalls
01-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Random thing, the same guy is used as "random horseplayer" in each feature.

He's at 1:06 of the Kenny Mayne video and 4:26 of the Conan video.

ebcorde
01-20-2016, 12:22 PM
I thought Frank got the gig, now I hear Wrona. I'm neutral on it.

Tall One
01-20-2016, 01:11 PM
I didn't think it was bad for a non-professional. He's just not quick and fluid, but it was fun to hear for a one-time thing.

Ok, lets try this reply...I agree. Also pointed out how difficult the job is, as did Conan.

davew
01-20-2016, 06:50 PM
He did a good job. His view and the angle of finish line messed him up at end.