PDA

View Full Version : Get the lead out

upthecreek
01-19-2016, 07:14 AM
How does happen?
http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/health/toxic-tap-water-flint-michigan/

jballscalls
01-19-2016, 07:25 AM
On twitter I learned that republicans say it's the fault of long time local democratic rule at the city level.

I also learned that democrats blame a long string of republican leadership at the state level and them cutting funding.

surprisingly each side blames the other.

NorCalGreg
01-19-2016, 08:09 AM
On twitter I learned that republicans say it's the fault of long time local democratic rule at the city level.

I also learned that democrats blame a long string of republican leadership at the state level and them cutting funding.

Twitter, huh? Interesting.

_______
01-19-2016, 11:48 AM

I suppose a case can be made that years of incompetence and mismanagement at the local level caused the state to step in to clean up the financial mess left behind. That would be an argument for indirect responsibility.

It was the state appointed overseer who ordered the switch to save money. And it was the state director of environmental quality who insisted there was no problem when his own tests showed there was a big problem. That is more of a direct line of responsibility.

Tom
01-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Former Flint Mayor, the late Dayne Walling even drank it on local TV to make the point.

More like it.
What morons.
Government at work.

Some people need to doing hard time for very long sentences.

Dave Schwartz
01-19-2016, 02:09 PM

JB,

Yes, surprising. After all, neither side has ever that before.

:bang: :rolleyes: :lol:

(Yes, I know you were kidding.)

Dave

PS: Nice mix of emoticons, don't you think?

sandpit
01-19-2016, 09:40 PM
I thought this was gonna be a thread with some reference to Led Zeppelin finally deciding to tour.

MutuelClerk
01-19-2016, 11:55 PM
I live an hour away from Flint. My brother, sister in law, niece and nephew live in Flint. I was at a hospital today and saw a woman from Flint who no longer showers in that poison with bumps, bruises, scars on her legs from this water. Legionaries disease at an all time high. This board is exactly like the government. Point fingers, claim the other party screwed up. It isn't a FLUCKING JOKE. Every kid under six years old is poisoned by their government. But pay that water bill on time. So sit back, laugh, just be glad it isn't you or your loved ones. Our country is great. Our government BLOWS.

Tom
01-20-2016, 09:07 AM
Yes, only a fool will ever trust any government.
Perfect case in point here.
Pols need to go to jail over this - hard time, log time.
There is no excuse period.

Clocker
01-20-2016, 10:27 AM
The truth comes out. Michael Moore says that the population of Flint is 60% black, and therefore knowingly poisoning the water supply is racial genocide and ethnic cleansing.

I'm guessing his next step will be to blame it all on Bush and Cheney. :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/michael-moore-just-nailed-no-173900965.html

Tom
01-20-2016, 10:35 AM
What the Hell did the moron expect?
We can't aim hurricanes that far north, like we did with Katrina. :bang:

Please, Canada, keep your lunatics north of the border.
His metric IQ is what, 7, 8?

mostpost
01-22-2016, 01:02 AM

Both are right and neither are right. The question right now is who made the decision to replace safe Lake Huron water with polluted Flint River water, and who ignored and even hid testing that showed the water was polluted?

The answer to those questions is clear. It was Republican governor Rick Snyder's emergency manager for the city of Flint who decided to change the water source. And it was Republican governor Rick Snyder's Department of Environmental Quality which decided against adding an anti corrosive agent which would have cost less than $100 a day, then decided to sit on test results which showed many times the previous levels of lead in Flint children.

Tom
01-22-2016, 07:53 AM
So if if it had been a dem, it would be ok?
Try to lift yourself fro the muck of politics, mostie......everyone else had ignored politics and gone straight to whoever it is needs to go to prison at the least.

Never let a tragedy go unexploited.
Try dealing on a human level......I think this is a bi-partisan deal here.
:rolleyes:

MutuelClerk
01-22-2016, 09:23 AM
One of the better investigative reporters in Detroit covers the issue.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/the-americans-with-charlie-leduff/79067731-story

MutuelClerk
01-22-2016, 09:28 AM
I saw Bill Ballenger on CNN yesterday morning saying this is overblown. I'm glad his family hasn't been harmed. I know Mr. Ballenger. Years ago he was Commissioner of Racing in Michigan. He didn't know a furlong from a foot long. He's always struck me as one of those guys both parties have who bounce around from job to job. The it's not who you know it's who you blow kinda guy found everywhere. Politics, workplace etc....

Rookies
01-22-2016, 11:28 AM
I saw Bill Ballenger on CNN yesterday morning saying this is overblown. I'm glad his family hasn't been harmed. I know Mr. Ballenger. Years ago he was Commissioner of Racing in Michigan. He didn't know a furlong from a foot long. He's always struck me as one of those guys both parties have who bounce around from job to job. The it's not who you know it's who you blow kinda guy found everywhere. Politics, workplace etc....

Yep.

ANY Pol involved in this despicable, criminal conspiracy & cover up should be tried and while in prison, force fed the same toxic, waste H2O for a similar time period, followed by a high noon, public festival of the Guillotine!

Unbelievable, what slime these administrations are.

Tom
01-22-2016, 12:23 PM
If the gov is a republican, then he represent the party, therefore, the RNC should be given the entire bill clean up the mess.

He is their boy, they should pay for their piss-poor vetting of the jerk.

As long as pol represent parties over people, they should be 100% for the actions of their people.

mostpost
01-22-2016, 12:58 PM
So if if it had been a dem, it would be ok?
Try to lift yourself fro the muck of politics, mostie......everyone else had ignored politics and gone straight to whoever it is needs to go to prison at the least.

Never let a tragedy go unexploited.
Try dealing on a human level......I think this is a bi-partisan deal here.
:rolleyes:
It would not have been okay if it had been a dem, but it was not. It was a Republican "Emergency Manager." Democrats did not invent the Emergency Manager; Republicans did. The EM is an outsider who comes in and usurps the power of the legally elected officials. He is a hired gun who has no ties to the community and cares not one bit for the people of that community. His sole task is to save money.

It is hilarious that you are telling me to lift myself from the muck of politics when that is where you permanently reside. In this case, it is impossible for you to blame the Democrats entirely, so you go the bipartisan route.

The decision to change the water source was made by Republicans. The decision to ignore test results that showed increased corrosion and increased lead levels was made by Republicans. The decision to hide those results was made by Republicans.

Furthermore, the policies that led to the demise of cities like Flint, Michigan were Republican policies. The only fault of Democrats lie in not fighting harder against those policies.

Tom
01-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Explain Detroit.

Clocker
01-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Explain Detroit.

Or Chicago. Or Baltimore. Or all the bankrupt cities in California.

Or this, from Wiki:

Most politicians are affiliated with the Democratic party despite the city's elections being nonpartisan. In 2006, Flint was the 10th most liberal city in the United States, according to a nationwide study by the non-partisan Bay Area Center for Voting Research which examined the voting patterns of 237 cities with a population over 100,000. Flint placed just after San Francisco (9) and before Seattle (16) and New York City (21).

Dave Schwartz
01-22-2016, 02:42 PM
ANY Pol involved in this despicable, criminal conspiracy & cover up should be tried and while in prison, force fed the same toxic, waste H2O for a similar time period, followed by a high noon, public festival of the Guillotine!

Unbelievable, what slime these administrations are.

Yes, absolutely right.

While the left yells at the right and the right yells back, the truth is that neither side of the aisle cares diddly squat about Americans. They care only about those that fund their campaigns on a big level.

Those are their masters.

de Tocqueville was right. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_in_America)

MutuelClerk
01-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Explain Detroit.

Putting all your eggs in one basket. Detroit, Flint, Pontiac. When the auto industry crashed. These cities were tied heavily. Dan Gilbert has bought up half the buildings in Detroit. The recovery is slow, but it's beginning to happen.

Tom
01-23-2016, 10:50 AM
Saw a documentary on PBS last night - Detropia.
Having been to or at least passed by many of the locations, it was an eye-opener. I have not been there since 2005, so the contrast to my memories was startling.

Rookies
01-25-2016, 07:32 PM
"FLINT, MI -- The city says it will send out the first water shutoff notices since a judge's ruling temporarily halted the practice in August."

Sooooo, let me get this straight... Poison us & charge us for :bang: the service!

You can't make this sheite up!

If I lived there, stuff like this would almost make me consider getting an AR-15! :lol:

Almost...

Tom
01-26-2016, 07:22 AM
But yet you would love to have this very government control your life. :rolleyes:

davew
01-26-2016, 05:17 PM
"FLINT, MI -- The city says it will send out the first water shutoff notices since a judge's ruling temporarily halted the practice in August."

Sooooo, let me get this straight... Poison us & charge us for :bang: the service!

You can't make this sheite up!

If I lived there, stuff like this would almost make me consider getting an AR-15! :lol:

Almost...

What if the water is good but the old pipes under and in your home have lead in them?

This is not a source issue but an infrastructure issue. It would be better to help these people/families migrate to jobs rather than continue to support them (forever?) there in a dying/dead city.

MutuelClerk
03-17-2016, 11:09 PM
So Governor Snyder took over the mismanaged city of Flint. Had his people change the water source mismanaging the city even worse. WE the tax payers of the State Of Michigan get to pay his legal fees. 1.2 million dollars and climbing. He actually has the testicular fortitude to say he's taking responsibility. What a effing joke he is and politics has become.

Tom
03-17-2016, 11:15 PM
You guys should put him in prison and and force him to drink that water every day for the next 50 years.

davew
03-17-2016, 11:16 PM
We should do what they do in China - execute them bad politicians and government workers.

Tom
03-17-2016, 11:32 PM
You mean all of them?

Rise Over Run
04-12-2016, 10:47 PM
What if the water is good but the old pipes under and in your home have lead in them?

This is not a source issue but an infrastructure issue. It would be better to help these people/families migrate to jobs rather than continue to support them (forever?) there in a dying/dead city.
Correct, it's primarily an infrastructure issue and secondarily a supply issue; while played out in the media as 100% democrat vs republican; black vs. white issue. Even before this garnered widespread media attention, the samples collected at the Flint taps in 2015 with ~1 min of flushing were within EPA Guidelines for lead of 15 ppb for consumption. At ~3 min flushing the levels were even lower.

Even after the conversion back to Detroit water, the 2016 "no flush" samples exceed the EPA 15 ppb Standard.

It's possible that the lead levels in the bottled water currently provided to the Flint residents from outside sources is higher than the lead levels in the tap water after ~3 min of flushing. The 2016 90th percentile median of Flint tap water samples (Detroit source) was 3.1 ppb versus an EPA Standard of 5 ppb for bottle water providers.

source:http://flintwaterstudy.org/