PDA

View Full Version : Jockey moves

kenwoodallpromos
06-20-2004, 02:57 PM
I'm looking for definitive ways to tell which jockeys make good moves.
Do some jockeys know exactly when horses in front of them are beginning to tire so they can move their horse? Is it the same signs as for dirt, turf, and harness races?
What details can you look for in the charts to find jockeys that make good moves to win or stay out of traffic?

CryingForTheHorses
06-21-2004, 04:25 PM
Good question Ken!,Im sure im going to get a lot of flack from other posters
Jockeys dont move horses, A jockey can ask a horse to run out of the gate...put him on the front end, A distance horse wil move on his own (makes it look like the jock is doing it) as will a come from behind sprinter..If you have a fast pace for 1/2 mile,The lead horses will start to fade making it look like the jock on the second last horse is moving him,Horses do know when others are getting tired, Thats why you will see the herd instinct take over...look at head on shots and you see horses going every which way,tring to get out of each others ways as they run.These animals really dont need jockeys to pilot them, Ever see a loose horse in a race win...Moves on his own..Jockeys can only do what the horse can do..If you have the best jockey on a bad horse, He wont get him there. If you have a bad jockey on a good horse, The hors will most times overcome a bad ride and win the race. Hope this helps

ranchwest
06-21-2004, 06:39 PM
A jockey can help a horse, but one question is whether it was the jockey who was so good or his agent. It was the agent who put him on the live horse.

Of course, the horse has to be capable, too, and that is probably the primary factor.

kitts
06-22-2004, 02:14 PM
I was at a seminar and the guest speaker was Laffit Pincay. Somebody asked him regarding sprint race strategy and what does he usually do in sprint race. His reply was "I hold on very tightly"