PDA

View Full Version : Gulch dead at 32

thespaah
01-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Old Friends Farm pensioner and oldest living Breeders Cup champion Gulch has left us.
Here is the press release. The link to Old Friends is embedded in the release.
For clarity
www.oldfriendsequine.org
Old Friends - Thoroughbred Retirement
Press Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Oldest Living Breeders' Cup Champion Gulch, Dead at 32

GEORGETOWN, KY - JANUARY 17, 2016 - It is with a heavy heart that Michael Blowen, founder and President of Old Friends, announces today the passing of Gulch. The 1988 Breeders' Cup Sprint Champion and Eclipse Award winner was euthanized this morning due to complications from cancer.

At 32, Gulch was the oldest living Breeders' Cup Champion.

A son of Mr. Prospector out of the Rambunctious mare Jameela, Gulch has been a resident of the Thoroughbred Retirement Center based in Georgetown, KY, since 2009 and was one of the farm's of flagship stallions attracting visitors and fans from all around the country.

As both a runner and a sire, Gulch blazed an unforgettable trail. Bred by Peter Brant in Kentucky, Gulch became a Grade 1 winner as a two-year-old when he captured the Hopeful Stakes at Saratoga. At three he won the GR 1 Wood Memorial and the first of his two consecutive wins in the GR1 Metropolitan Handicap at Belmont Park.

As a four-year-old Gulch captured the GR3 Potrero Grande Handicap and the GR1 Carter Handicap en route to his final start and greatest victory in the 1988 Breeders' Cup Sprint for trainer D. Wayne Lukas. For his efforts Gulch was named 1988 Eclipse Champion Sprinter.

The stallion retired with 13 wins from 32 starts and earnings of $3,095,521.

Gulch continued his career success as a sire at William S. Farish's Lane's End Farm near Versailles, KY.
SNIP

cj
01-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Makes me sad, maybe best sprinter I've seen (though obviously was very versatile distance wise). 32 isn't too shabby though.

classhandicapper
01-17-2016, 03:25 PM
I follow what's going on at Old Friends fairly closely and knew Gulch was 32. I'm sad to see him go. He was terrific.

CryingForTheHorses
01-17-2016, 05:16 PM
Very sad,He was a remarkable horse :(

nijinski
01-17-2016, 07:08 PM
This one chokes me up . I began my love for the sport during the time Jameela
who was Gulch's Dam ran . Those were the early years for me .Really adored her and she had only two surviving foals before being struck by lightning, so it's been reported .So of course Gulch was very special and I followed him closely What a great job on track and as a sire . Wonderful that he lived a long life and was well taken care of .
RIP Gulch 💔

thespaah
01-17-2016, 09:28 PM
Makes me sad, maybe best sprinter I've seen (though obviously was very versatile distance wise). 32 isn't too shabby though.
yeah I was amazed at the longevity.....
Gulch had a good spin.
RIP