PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Saturday, January 16

Teach
01-15-2016, 09:02 PM
I'll be back tomorrow morning with my Aqueduct picks. But, for now, a trip back to the past in: "Tales From The Track":

The Track: My First Teaching Interview

"What did you just say?" I asked in a moment of disbelief. "Would you like a job?" the man repeated. I said, “Sure”.

This dialogue would take place at a most unexpected site: the track. Foxboro Raceway, Foxboro, MA.

It was the mid-1960s. I had just graduated from college. I was seeking for my first teaching job. I had recently sent out about a dozen cover-letters and resumes to Boston-area school systems. It was now early-July and I had yet to hear from anyone.

As a way of taking a break from all the typing and letter-writing, I decided to enjoy my favorite pastime: watching and betting on harness racing at Foxboro Raceway (Foxboro Raceway, now a Gillette Stadium parking lot, ran a 60-day summer meet from mid-June to late-August).

That evening, as was usually the case, there were dozens of people milling about on the track apron. I remember that I was swigging a cold beer and munching on a hot dog while I was trying to figure out both ends of the early daily. At the time, I recall that I was talking to a friend both about the upcoming races and my hope that I'd land my first teaching job before the start of the new school year.

Well, just then, a stranger who happened to overhear my conversation motioned for me to come over to the folding chair where he was sitting. I would later find out that he was the head of the history department in a high school north of Boston.

Moreover, I recall that we chatted about where I had gone to college, what courses I had taken, where I had done my student-teaching, and a whole bunch of other teaching-related matters. We must have talked for a good ten minutes. The only thing that brought our discussion to end was the approach of the first race; we both wanted to get a bet in on the early double. As the department head was about to leave for the windows, he said, "Would you like a job?" I said, "Sure." He then said, "Call my office on Monday morning and I'll set up an interview (he wrote his number on a piece of paper). I'd like to talk with you further," he added. He continued, "You can later interview with the school's principal."

Well, as I left the track that evening I thought to myself, "This is truly unbelievable. I go to the track for an enjoyable evening of harness racing and, lo and behold -- I end up with an interview for a teaching job. Amazing!"

That following Monday morning I called my benefactor, the history department head. I recall that we set up an interview for that Wednesday.

Two days later, I was at the high school for my interview. The department head greeted me warmly. We sat and talked further about my background and my philosophy of education. I have to tell you that all the while I'm thinking, "Wouldn't this be great if I get hired; my boss is also a big harness racing fan."

During the course of our conversation, I recall the department head saying to me, "You seem nervous." I said, "You're right. This is my first teaching interview and I want to do well.” I remember the department head saying that "he liked my candor." We seemed to hit it off.

About a half-hour later, I met with the school's principal.
I remember he went over most of the same ground that the department head had covered. I do recall that he questioned me about my experience. I said that although I had never taught before, I had been a camp counselor and that I had done well in my student-teaching. For some reason, it seemed that my lack of teaching experience was an issue. I recall finishing up the interview, shaking hands and heading out the door. I remember that as I was leaving the principal said that he'd get back to me.

About a week later, I got this phone call. It was the principal. He told me that he had enjoyed speaking with me and that I had a very good academic record; however, the school was looking for someone with teaching experience.

As it turns out, that September, I got a job teaching math in a Boston high school. Interestingly, I ran into that same department head at nearly the same spot on the Foxboro Raceway track apron about five years later. Wouldn't you know it -- he remembered me. And yes, he asked me the same question: "Are you looking for a job?" As Yogi Berra would have said, "It was deja vu all over again." Only this time, I had a job. I was then teaching history in a suburban high school west of Boston.

Yet, I'll never forget the fact that I had my first teaching interview at -- of all places -- the track.

Teach
01-16-2016, 11:47 AM
Race One:
7 FREUDSALM gets my tepid, lukewarm nod in the opener on what I presume will be a soggy Aqueduct oval. This Freud-bred filly has been “short” in all her MSW sprint tries. Yet, having said that, I believe she moves up on a sloppy track (You might want to watch her on the racetrack and hear what “The Mig” has to say). In her favor, I believe the race goes through her. Yet, the question remains: Can she carry her speed the full 5 and ˝ panels? Oh, another point: No published works since her last race. Yet, the veteran jockey, Cornelio Velasquez (two winners on yesterday’s card) is most capable. He’s going to need all his “rationing” skills to keep this horse together to the finish line. Trainer Chris Englehart is having a solid meet. He does very well in both second starts with a trainer and second start off a layoff. In conclusion: Tread lightly. The likely overlay may not warrant the investment.
Others:
5 Eastern Mischief. This Bill Mott trainee is “turning back”; looms as a threat.
6 Gonna Find Her. This “The Coasters” lyrics filly is a sprinter. Well-bred. “The Cajun,” Kendrick Carmouche, is in the irons.
4 Good Laugh. This Linda Rice-trainee (niece Taylor is in “the irons”) might add value to an exotic.

Race Two: The marquee reads: “The King of Philadelphia” and “The King of Midwest Thoroughbreds”. Indeed, a solid “dynamic duo”. We’re talking about Liston, LA’s Kendrick Carmouche and trainer Danny Gargan. Both are having outstanding meets. With that kind of connection… This 7 year-old Street Sense-bred horse should relish any moisture on the racetrack. This Storm Cat-bred has two wins and a third in five tries on a wet racing surface. Yes, he does move up off his last start; however, he can most certainly handle the slight class hike. The aforementioned Gargan does very well with horses making their first start off a claim.

Others:

4 Nevada Kid is an admitted “exotic-enhancer”. He moves up on a wet surface. “American Airlines,” “Double-A,” Angel Arroyo, is in the irons.
8 Old Mexico is another horse that moves up on a wet surface. The oft underrated, Eric Cancel, is in the irons. Outside post helps.
3 Attractive Ride is the ultimate viejo board-hitter (only once in his last ten races has he failed to do so). Gabe Saez enhances.

Race Three:
5 Royal Posse is my pick in The Jazil non-graded route. This Posse-bred gelding has been the model of consistency; he’s been either first or second in his last six tries. This 5 year-old moves up on a wet track – two wins and two seconds – in six tries. This New York-bred Cryptoclearance progeny won his last in Hallandale, FL in the non-graded, 200k CC Jewel…on a sloppy track. It’s “Junior” for the red-hot trainer, Rudy Rodriguez.
Others:
6 Kid Cruz looks like the major threat; a consistent stakes board-hitter.
4 Majestic Affair has had some solid morning works for the excellent combo of jockey Kendrick Carmouche and trainer Chad Brown.
3 Stormin Monarcho has a solid wet-track pedigree in Maria’s Mon and Monarchos. That lineage should serve him well as a possible board-hitter.
Race Four:
7 Tipit (not as in Patriots Andre who married one of my former students) has a solid wet-track family-tree. In fact you don’t have to go back that far to see Awesome Again and Tapit. If the track remains wet – which I suspect it will – this grey Deputy Minister-bred moves up. Had troubled trip in his last. Lunged at the start. Sported field several lengths. Yet came on strongly to finish a game third, albeit several lengths behind the eventual winner, Adventist. Jose Ortiz. Linda Rice. As George & Ira Gershwin might have said: “Who Can Ask For Anything More?”
Others:
5 Mighty Surfer has a solid wet-track pedigree. Yet, having said that, he did finish off the board in his only wet-track try. However, in his defense, he raced greenly in that one.
8 Hard Hitter was also “green” in his only try. With that one under his belt and an outside post, he may well be “on the improve”.
2 Dravite is an intriguing colt. I do like the wet-track lineage, e.g., Bellamy Road and Concerto. Plus the fact that that his well-named Dam, Dancing Naturally, produced 7 winners (two stakes winners). The potential exists if this first-time starter takes to the track at first asking. One caveat emptor: the capable David Donk does not do particularly well with “first-timers”.

Race Five:
10 Mister Popsicle is my tepid choice in this n3L claiming sprint. This Brother Derek-bred gelding may well have the controlling speed from his outside post. Play: “Catch-me-if-you-can”. Moves up on a wet track (has hit tote in all three wet-track tries). Has faced better. One caveat: trainer Abby Adsit has not saddled a winner in their second starts with a trainer, albeit with a relatively limited sampling of 12 tries. I should mention that trainer Adsit, although most capable, has hit one of those racing “valleys”; she’s only saddled one winner in 44 tries. Jose “El Caballero” Ortiz is in the irons.
Others:
8 Oliver Rush finished a closing third in this company in last; now moves outside.
5 Regal Minister has front speed. Benefits from wet track. Park of an exotic?
11 Next Right can be a surprise factor here. Should benefit from outside starting post and the services of the most capable, Eric Cancel.

Race Six:
12 Black Tide is my choice in this n1x allowance sprint. Second. Second, in her last two. The most recent as the favorite. Any slight improvement… Breeding suggests turf; yet may do well from outside on wet track. Cornelio Velasquez has been picking up the pace, recently; he remains one of the best jockeys on the NYRA circuit. Michelle Nevin part owns and trains this Giant’s Causeway-bred. I might mention that trainer Nevin does well with horses entered in sprint races.
Others:
4 Secured Position moves up on a wet track. Third start off layoff. The horse’s trainer is winless, yet to complete an exotic…
5 Here Comes Tommy was third in his last; he was the winner prior to that. Has wet-track lineage. The veteran Mike Luzzi.
7 Mr Harlan is a possible gimmick “value-adder”. Eric cancel for trainer John Hertler.

Race Seven:
3 Life in Shambles is my pick in this claiming route. This grey can handle a wet racing surface, e.g., Unbridled. He’s hit the tote in his only two wet-track tries. The gelding has faced better. The stretch-out should help. So too should the services of jockey Manny Franco. His trainer, Monsieur Christophe Clement, does very well with horse who are both entered in a claiming race and going sprint to route.
Others:
5 Son of a General won his last against slightly weaker. Now in the Mike Miceli barn. He does well with claim repeaters.
7 Pass The Dice has solid wet-track pedigree. Second in his last. Consistent board-hitter. John Bisono ships his tack in from Prx for Rudy Rodriguez.
6 Celebrated Talent is a Linda Rice-trainee who should move up on a wet track. Cornelio Velasquez in the irons.

Race Eight:
3 Between The Lines is my choice in this OC sprint. This Read the Footnotes-bred won his last and narrowly finished second prior to that. The Smoke Glacken-bred has hit the tote in his last eight races. This horse has solid wet-track lineage; he moves up on a muddy track. Apprentice Harry Hernandez for trainer Joe Lostritto.
4 Souper Knight turns back. It’s his third start off a layoff. Cornelio Velasquez for David Jacobson.
1 Nubin Ridge is capable of being part. Will need to angle out to get into contention. Should be considered in gimmicks.
7 Classic Salsa has faced better. This Wildcat Heir-bred should do well on a wet surface. Kendrick Carmouche in the irons.

Race Nine:
9 Storm Pursuit is my pick in the finale, a claiming sprint. This 8 year-old chestnut gelding has won two of his three wet-track tries. This Storm Cat-bred is dropping into somewhat weaker company. This gelding may well be out and going when the gates open. Jockey Jose Ortiz reprises the ride for trainer Chris Englehart. Trainer Englehart does well in many racing categories.
Others:
10 March Too is an A.P. Indy-bred who is shipping in from Prx for trainer Patricia Farro. Cornelio Velasquez is in the irons.
6 Bellamy Xpress could be “a sleeper” here. Jackie Davis rides. This gelding has hit the tote in every single one of his wet-track tries.
1 Star of New York has wet-track breeding and has faced better. This Carson City-bred has a chance to hit the tote.