PDA

View Full Version : Doug Pederson hired by Eagles

Kash$
01-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Good hire im sure Reid has some positive input on Pederson

barahona44
01-14-2016, 09:54 PM
I have to assume that the old rule of teams not being able to interview coaches whose teams are still in the playoffs is no longer in force.I know the coaches were frustrated that if their team went to the Super Bowl, most teams couldn't afford to wait that extra month and they often lost the plum jobs that were available.
That being said, I don't think the Eagle job at this time is one of those plums. I think Kelly gummed up this team for at least this upcoming year.The Chiefs under Reid are pretty conservative offensively, they went 21 straight games, including the entire 2014 season without a wide receiver TD.Team will need a significant makeover, fortunately the NFC East is a weak sister .

ManU918
01-14-2016, 10:03 PM
Not sure how anyone can have an opinion on this hire. What exactly does anyone have to base off this decision? Pederson doesn't even call the plays for the Chiefs. So he's an offensive coordinator by name but not by responsibility. And to touch on Barahona's point what kind of OC doesn't get a touchdown out of a WR for an entire season?

People who didn't like Chip shouldn't like this hire. Chip was taking heat in the other thread because his lack of head coaching experience. The only team Pederson was ever the head coach of was a high school squad. At least Kelly had experience coaching an elite program at the D1 level and he was in charge of play calling prior to taking over as the head guy.

I don't hate the hire because out of everyone the Eagles interviewed I liked Pederson the most but in saying that I thought they should have at least interviewed Shula, McDermott, McDaniels and Lovie.

Stillriledup
01-15-2016, 12:27 AM
It's hard to see that the coaching has been upgraded here. Almost like they are pulling a 'tomasula' and sabotaging next season so they can get the first pick and take the kid from Clemson.

upthecreek
01-15-2016, 06:04 AM
Not sure how anyone can have an opinion on this hire. What exactly does anyone have to base off this decision? Pederson doesn't even call the plays for the Chiefs. So he's an offensive coordinator by name but not by responsibility. And to touch on Barahona's point what kind of OC doesn't get a touchdown out of a WR for an entire season?

People who didn't like Chip shouldn't like this hire. Chip was taking heat in the other thread because his lack of head coaching experience. The only team Pederson was ever the head coach of was a high school squad. At least Kelly had experience coaching an elite program at the D1 level and he was in charge of play calling prior to taking over as the head guy.

I don't hate the hire because out of everyone the Eagles interviewed I liked Pederson the most but in saying that I thought they should have at least interviewed Shula, McDermott, McDaniels and Lovie.
From what I heard after the Chiefs went 1-5,Andy turned the play calling over to Pederson
From AP

Pederson arrived in Kansas City as the offensive coordinator primarily by title, since Reid prefers to call his own plays. But Reid acknowledged earlier this season that Pederson has started to share more of that burden, helping to prepare him for a head coaching opportunity

tucker6
01-15-2016, 06:48 AM
I am not a Chip Kelly fan, but if I was an Eagles fan, I'd be scratching my head to see how this is an upgrade. The Eagles were really in love with Coughlin, and when jilted at the altar, hired Pederson only 8 hours later. Honestly, this looks like a placeholder hire until something better comes along and to get the Eagles back into the mainstream type of offense. I wish Pederson well nevertheless.

ManU918
01-15-2016, 07:24 AM
From what I heard after the Chiefs went 1-5,Andy turned the play calling over to Pederson
From AP

Pederson arrived in Kansas City as the offensive coordinator primarily by title, since Reid prefers to call his own plays. But Reid acknowledged earlier this season that Pederson has started to share more of that burden, helping to prepare him for a head coaching opportunity

Pederson has not called one play this season.

Again if you're not calling the offensive plays as an offensive coordinator what exactly are you doing? It's not as if he is Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator... Dave Curley holds the title of Assistant Head Coach.

upthecreek
01-15-2016, 07:58 AM

Again if you're not calling the offensive plays as an offensive coordinator what exactly are you doing? It's not as if he is Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator... Dave Curley holds the title of Assistant Head Coach.

Well I guess the guys on Fox,Football Night in America and local sportscaster's are wrong and you're right

ManU918
01-15-2016, 08:28 AM
Well I guess the guys on Fox,Football Night in America and local sportscaster's are wrong and you're right

Reid has spoken publicly about this. He calls the plays. The only time that Pederson calls the plays is when Reid feels like he is in a slump and he gives Pederson a couple plays to call then takes back over...

I'd love to see references from the sources you provided because here is the truth out of Reid's mouth. Watch the video...

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article48908340.html (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article48908340.html)

Kash$
01-15-2016, 09:15 AM
Reid has spoken publicly about this. He calls the plays. The only time that Pederson calls the plays is when Reid feels like he is in a slump and he gives Pederson a couple plays to call then takes back over...

I'd love to see references from the sources you provided because here is the truth out of Reid's mouth. Watch the video...
[/url]
[url="http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article48908340.html"] (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article48908340.html) http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article48908340.html

Manu do they keep Bradford or draft a qb?

tucker6
01-15-2016, 09:23 AM
You didn't ask me, but my feeling is that Bradford is a bottom third starting qb in the NFL with middle third salary. I don't think he gets better than middle third at any point in his career, and so his upside is limited. As we see in the playoffs, middle and bottom tier qb's don't cut it. I'd roll the dice on a new guy unless Lurie doesn't think Peterson is his ultimate guy. I think we'll know a lot about the Eagles situation when we see how they handle the qb position.

rastajenk
01-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Deviating somewhat from the main topic here, when was the last time a Big 12 qb actually made a long-term...not even long-term, maybe medium-turn...impact on an NFL team? Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Bradford, RGIII, Blaine Gabbert, Weedon or any other OSU guy, anyone from Leach's TexTech teams....I might be missing someone obviously good enough to be an exception to this, but I don't know who it would be.

Exhibit A in the assertion that they don't play much defense in that conference.

barahona44
01-15-2016, 10:58 AM
Deviating somewhat from the main topic here, when was the last time a Big 12 qb actually made a long-term...not even long-term, maybe medium-turn...impact on an NFL team? Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Bradford, RGIII, Blaine Gabbert, Weedon or any other OSU guy, anyone from Leach's TexTech teams....I might be missing someone obviously good enough to be an exception to this, but I don't know who it would be.

Exhibit A in the assertion that they don't play much defense in that conference.

Sammy Baugh? :)

ebcorde
01-15-2016, 11:41 AM
Laurie regrets firing Andy and Bradford is okay with former QB Petersen

upthecreek
01-15-2016, 02:20 PM
http://insidetheiggles.com/2016/01/15/doug-pederson-can-fix-philadelphia-eagles/

ManU918
01-15-2016, 05:18 PM

It's going to cost them a ton and I don't think it makes sense. I personally wouldn't but I'm not sure what they will end up doing.

RaceBookJoe
01-15-2016, 08:55 PM
It's going to cost them a ton and I don't think it makes sense. I personally wouldn't but I'm not sure what they will end up doing.

Unfortunately for the Eagles, the free agent market seems weak and for the most part, so does the draft when it comes to qb.

Stillriledup
01-15-2016, 10:50 PM
Just seems like there's too much external pressure in Philly from fans who aren't interested In being patient. They had Reid and Kelly and now they Have a guy nobody's heard of.
I think kelly would still be in Philly if the players that left weren't so disgruntled and voiced haterade stuff on Social media

ManU918
01-16-2016, 02:59 AM
Unfortunately for the Eagles, the free agent market seems weak and for the most part, so does the draft when it comes to qb.

The Eagles can go in a number of directions but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to pay someone 20 million per year that they aren't comfortable with. A minimum of 3 QB's will be taken in the first round but it looks like it could be 4 which would make it the first time since 2012.

Jarred Goff
Paxton Lynch
Carson Wentz
Connor Cook

I'd personally love if somehow they ended up with Carson Wentz.

ManU918
01-16-2016, 03:24 AM
Just seems like there's too much external pressure in Philly from fans who aren't interested In being patient. They had Reid and Kelly and now they Have a guy nobody's heard of.
I think kelly would still be in Philly if the players that left weren't so disgruntled and voiced haterade stuff on Social media

One thing you need to know about owner Jeff Lurie is that he doesn't take the fans into consideration when making his decisions. So as far as external pressure goes there was none. He does things his way and his way only. It's always been that way and will always be that way.

As far as the fans being impatient... This year Super Bowl 50 will be played and the Eagles have 0 Super Bowls. So the argument that Eagles fans should be patient holds no weight.

Andy Reid was in Philadelphia for 13 seasons and didn't win a championship. In this day and age coaches in the NFL aren't given that kind of leash. In his last season he went 4-12 so there was definitely a need for change.

The firing of Chip Kelly had nothing to do with the fans. If the fans had any say Reid would have been gone well before he was let go. As mentioned before Lurie doesn't take the fans into consideration when making decisions. That stadium is going to be full either way. Chip was fired because he rubbed Lurie the wrong way, members of the personnel staff told Lurie if he retained Chip they were leaving and he was losing the locker room. On top of that he went 6-9 in the worst division in football and only beat one playoff team the entire season. That playoff team being the Patriots when they were run-down and missing key pieces due to injury.

Stillriledup
01-16-2016, 04:55 AM
One thing you need to know about owner Jeff Lurie is that he doesn't take the fans into consideration when making his decisions. So as far as external pressure goes there was none. He does things his way and his way only. It's always been that way and will always be that way.

As far as the fans being impatient... This year Super Bowl 50 will be played and the Eagles have 0 Super Bowls. So the argument that Eagles fans should be patient holds no weight.

Andy Reid was in Philadelphia for 13 seasons and didn't win a championship. In this day and age coaches in the NFL aren't given that kind of leash. In his last season he went 4-12 so there was definitely a need for change.

The firing of Chip Kelly had nothing to do with the fans. If the fans had any say Reid would have been gone well before he was let go. As mentioned before Lurie doesn't take the fans into consideration when making decisions. That stadium is going to be full either way. Chip was fired because he rubbed Lurie the wrong way, members of the personnel staff told Lurie if he retained Chip they were leaving and he was losing the locker room. On top of that he went 6-9 in the worst division in football and only beat one playoff team the entire season. That playoff team being the Patriots when they were run-down and missing key pieces due to injury.

What's the incentive to downgrade coaches? If you wanna get rid of chip, why hire a water boy?

ManU918
01-16-2016, 06:06 AM
What's the incentive to downgrade coaches? If you wanna get rid of chip, why hire a water boy?

Chip being fired wasn't about wins and losses. Show me another coach who was fired after going 26-21 to start their head coaching career in the NFL. This was about Chip not being liked. The Eagles wanted to hire someone who would play ball. How do you accomplish that? By giving someone an opportunity who may not be on the radar of teams as far as the head coach position goes for another couple of years. Get someone who is green, ambitious and going to play ball with management. Enter Doug Pederson.

Doug might not be a sexy hire but of all the first time head coaches that were hired so far this off season, I would take Pederson over all of them.

upthecreek
01-16-2016, 06:10 AM
An unscientific fan poll of 1500 Eagles fans voted 51%-49% in favor of Kelly over Pederson

tucker6
01-16-2016, 08:08 AM
An unscientific fan poll of 1500 Eagles fans voted 51%-49% in favor of Kelly over Pederson
I bet a good portion of Kelly's 51% were voting for not liking the idea of change rather than voting for Kelly himself. The concept of change is a powerful inertia for many people.

reckless
01-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Chip being fired wasn't about wins and loses. Show me another coach who was fired after going 26-21 to start their head coaching career in the NFL. This was about Chip not being liked. The Eagles wanted to hire someone who would play ball. How do you accomplish that? By giving someone an opportunity who may not be on the radar of teams as far as the head coach position goes for another couple of years. Get someone who is green, ambitious and going to play ball with management. Enter Doug Pederson.

Doug might not be a sexy hire but of all the first time head coaches that were hired so far this off season, I would take Pederson over all of them.

Not so sure he's a better 'prospect' than the Giants' Bob McAdoo, but time will tell. I wish Doug P. lots of luck.

Also, when they hired Pederson, my first impression was that the Eagles will probably go for a QB in the draft and say thanks and goodbye to Sam Bradford.

Pederson made his bones in the NFL as a capable QB who played well enough for his teams while mentoring that team's future QB. Doug was at Phila. when the Eagles signed Donavan McNabb. Doug P. and was a true team player who helped and mentored McNabb immensely.

I think the Eagles already have their QB-mentor guy in Mark Sanchez -- as classy a team player as you can find -- and along with Pederson's own history could get lucky with drafting a Connor Cook, for example.

ManU918
01-16-2016, 09:29 AM
Not so sure he's a better 'prospect' than the Giants' Bob McAdoo, but time will tell. I wish Doug P. lots of luck.

Also, when they hired Pederson, my first impression was that the Eagles will probably go for a QB in the draft and say thanks and goodbye to Sam Bradford.

Pederson made his bones in the NFL as a capable QB who played well enough for his teams while mentoring that team's future QB. Doug was at Phila. when the Eagles signed Donavan McNabb. Doug P. and was a true team player who helped and mentored McNabb immensely.

I think the Eagles already have their QB-mentor guy in Mark Sanchez -- as classy a team player as you can find -- and along with Pederson's own history could get lucky with drafting a Connor Cook, for example.

I'm not sold on McAdoo. If he were that good then the Giants should have insta-hired him after Coughlin wasn't retained. Instead they interviewed multiple candidates. I guess only time will tell.

I know you're only using Cook as an example but if there is one QB that is going to be taken early he is definitely not the one I want. I want Wentz. Goff is going to be ungettable and I don't like Lynch at all.

Robert Fischer
01-16-2016, 10:49 AM
Pederson = quick fix while they tank for a draft pick.

Duce Staley takes over 2017... :D

ManU918
01-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Pederson = quick fix while they tank for a draft pick.

Duce Staley takes over 2017... :D

I think the year to tank will be 2017 to get Rosen from UCLA. He's projecting to be the next "cant miss" QB.

Secondbest
01-16-2016, 12:41 PM
Nobody knows how any of these guys will turn out Pedrson could be the next Lombardi or the next Kotite Same goes for all the new coaches. I just hope McAdoo isn't a bust

Stillriledup
01-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Chip being fired wasn't about wins and losses. Show me another coach who was fired after going 26-21 to start their head coaching career in the NFL. This was about Chip not being liked. The Eagles wanted to hire someone who would play ball. How do you accomplish that? By giving someone an opportunity who may not be on the radar of teams as far as the head coach position goes for another couple of years. Get someone who is green, ambitious and going to play ball with management. Enter Doug Pederson.

That was why all these malcontent players revolted and whined on social media. The guy is there to win games, not be liked. Seems like winning takes a back seat to making sure nobody's feelings get hurt and nobody's toes get stepped on? This is why philly sports is a mess, I thought this was tough skinned philly, and now these tough guys are getting their itty bitty feelings hurt because chip is 'unlikeable' :lol:

ManU918
01-16-2016, 01:07 PM
That was why all these malcontent players revolted and whined on social media. The guy is there to win games, not be liked. Seems like winning takes a back seat to making sure nobody's feelings get hurt and nobody's toes get stepped on? This is why philly sports is a mess, I thought this was tough skinned philly, and now these tough guys are getting their itty bitty feelings hurt because chip is 'unlikeable' :lol:

I agree with this to a certain extent. But Philly being tough skinned has nothing to do with the problem the owner has with the coach or the problem the players have with the coach. Philly is tough because of the people who live there. Their sports teams don't dictate that.

As far as Philly sports being a mess... Well that's just totally off topic so I'm not going to waste my time with that one.

Stillriledup
01-16-2016, 01:13 PM
I agree with this to a certain extent. But Philly being tough skinned has nothing to do with the problem the owner has with the coach or the problem the players have with the coach. Philly is tough because of the people who live there. Their sports teams don't dictate that.

As far as Philly sports being a mess... Well that's just totally off topic so I'm not going to waste my time with that one.

Losers have 'problems' with coaches. anyone who has a problem w Chip that's on them, the culture in Philly is poor and because of the bad attitudes and soft behavior, this is why they always seem to have drama.

tucker6
01-16-2016, 03:43 PM
Losers have 'problems' with coaches. anyone who has a problem w Chip that's on them, the culture in Philly is poor and because of the bad attitudes and soft behavior, this is why they always seem to have drama.
Can you back these statements up with examples? Because I don't see the soft behavior and the word 'always' being bandied about.

reckless
01-16-2016, 05:34 PM
I'm not sold on McAdoo. If he were that good then the Giants should have insta-hired him after Coughlin wasn't retained. Instead they interviewed multiple candidates. I guess only time will tell.

I know you're only using Cook as an example but if there is one QB that is going to be taken early he is definitely not the one I want. I want Wentz. Goff is going to be ungettable and I don't like Lynch at all.

I do think McAdoo was their guy from the get-go. In NY, they've been saying since last year that McAdoo was hired to eventually replace Coughlin.

Do you think he wasn't immediately named because of the Romney Rule?

I don't claim to know. I did hear that Eli just loved McAdoo. And, the Giants' offense was solid to a point even sans a running game. It was their no-defense defense that did them in as much as anything.

As for Conor Cook, yes, I was using him just as an example. A weak year for QBs in college, IMO.

upthecreek
01-17-2016, 07:08 AM
FanSided: Eagles New Coach: Jeffrey Lurie Falls Prey to the Over-Correction. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwoJ6viCk

upthecreek
01-20-2016, 06:40 AM

SB Nation: Doug Pederson was calling more plays for the Chiefs than we realized. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwtYDrpyk