PDA

View Full Version : We just lost a horse we loved, he was a family member.

onefast99
01-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Today Gossip Column passed away he had been a member of our racing family and one of the nicest horses we have ever owned. We bought him in December of 2011 at the dispersal sale for Flying Z Stables. He instantly rewarded us with a win in a NY bred maiden on Belmont Stakes Day and followed up with 4 seconds two at Belmont and 2 at Saratoga in first level NY Bred allowance races. We were 9/5 twice at Saratoga and we only lost by a length each time but still enjoyed being in the spotlight for that one moment. For those of you that have owned horses as well as family pets losing one isn't easy. My entire family became attached to this horse from day one. To a really nice horse who made everyone smile thank you Gossip Column for coming into our lives and making racing a lot of fun. You will be missed by our family and all those who you have touched!

ultracapper
01-14-2016, 01:56 PM
Makes me never want to call a horse a pig again. Even the hangers are loved by somebody (not trying to be a wise guy. Just read that and I'm hoping it doesn't get taken wrong)

Best to you and yours.

Fager Fan
01-14-2016, 02:22 PM
I'm sorry for your loss, Onefast.

Ultracapper, unfortunately not all horses are loved. That has always struck me as probably the saddest thing about the sport. It's bad enough that they may break down or be stricken, but to think that they died without someone who cared is heart-breaking. There are some cold hearts in the sport who will push these animals and not care what becomes of them.

Gossip Column was one of the lucky ones in that respect.

Take care, Onefast.

onefast99
01-14-2016, 05:08 PM
Thanks guys. The tough part was just telling my daughter the horse died.

098poi
01-14-2016, 05:24 PM
My condolences. I can't imagine what you are going through. I love animals and know how close we become.

I remember years ago after a horse broke down in a big race, I think the trainer and his wife owned the horse or maybe they just trained him, but there was the guy from TV shoving a mike in the guys face asking all those how do you feel questions. He was clearly distraught and all I wanted to smash the guy with the mike in the face.

Mandrake
01-14-2016, 06:24 PM
Larry Jones and Eight Belles. He was so distraught he left the business for a while.

CryingForTheHorses
01-14-2016, 06:31 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Brian,I myself know what its like to lose them,To lose them in a claiming race is hard enough,Never mind losing a animal thats a family member,My heart goes out to your little girl as I know she loves these animals..Remember the good times ..

VeryOldMan
01-14-2016, 06:42 PM
My condolences for your loss.

onefast99
01-14-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Brian,I myself know what its like to lose them,To lose them in a claiming race is hard enough,Never mind losing a animal thats a family member,My heart goes out to your little girl as I know she loves these animals..Remember the good times ..Thank you, this was a tough one, he was such a cool horse. I'm sure you have seen and been around a lot more then I will ever be around but this guy was so lovable. We just watched his two Saratoga races again. Hopefully he is in a better place.

cj
01-14-2016, 09:11 PM
Really sorry to hear this. I imagine the lows are as low or lower than the highest highs when it comes to owning horses. Hang in there buddy.

Tom
01-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Sorry to hear. It's hard to lose a friend like that.
I'm sure he had a happy life with you, remember that.

pandy
01-14-2016, 09:19 PM
That must be tough, sorry to hear about your loss.

iceknight
01-14-2016, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear this. I think what you said about losing pets is very true. They are truly family members, only they speak a different language and it is one of love.

chaz63
01-15-2016, 12:05 AM
So sorry to hear......R.I.P

thespaah
01-15-2016, 12:15 AM
Today Gossip Column passed away he had been a member of our racing family and one of the nicest horses we have ever owned. We bought him in December of 2011 at the dispersal sale for Flying Z Stables. He instantly rewarded us with a win in a NY bred maiden on Belmont Stakes Day and followed up with 4 seconds two at Belmont and 2 at Saratoga in first level NY Bred allowance races. We were 9/5 twice at Saratoga and we only lost by a length each time but still enjoyed being in the spotlight for that one moment. For those of you that have owned horses as well as family pets losing one isn't easy. My entire family became attached to this horse from day one. To a really nice horse who made everyone smile thank you Gossip Column for coming into our lives and making racing a lot of fun. You will be missed by our family and all those who you have touched!
Sorry for your loss, 99....

EMD4ME
01-15-2016, 07:07 AM

If you are who I think you are (mean that nicely), then I remember the joy in your face when Gossip Column won at Belmont and had a very good streak that summer. (Strong 2nds with a win or two in the sequence). My heart bleeds for you and your daughter. They are better than people in many aspects. Loyal, attentive, innocent, caring and loving.

Your pain is shared....

PICSIX
01-15-2016, 07:16 AM
Always tough to lose a family member wether human or pet, sorry for your loss.

NY BRED
01-15-2016, 09:12 AM
SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS, BEEN DOWN THAT ROAD.

Canarsie
01-15-2016, 09:28 AM
Sorry for your loss. Whenever somebody you loved has passed away it becomes a tragic event. But as you stated he was a member of your family and was treated royally. Although his time on earth was way too short know that he was shown love and affection that could only be equaled but not surpassed by any person around the globe.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
By Winston Churchill

onefast99
01-15-2016, 09:35 AM
If you are who I think you are (mean that nicely), then I remember the joy in your face when Gossip Column won at Belmont and had a very good streak that summer. (Strong 2nds with a win or two in the sequence). My heart bleeds for you and your daughter. They are better than people in many aspects. Loyal, attentive, innocent, caring and loving.

Your pain is shared....
That was a great day at Belmont. We invited a woman who was a cancer survivor into the winners circle with us the day before, yes I was that sure he would win. She was so excited when we won, maybe not as much as me but the joy that day brought to everyone was priceless.
When we went to Saratoga we finished 2nd the first time, Dominguez apologized after the race for not keeping the horse to task. Yes the horse had attention deficit disorder, I call it not paying attention he probably got it from me! Watching how he ran from last to first is one of the most amazing things about him.

Mulerider
01-15-2016, 11:14 AM
Very sorry for your loss, onefast99.

I will learn not to click on these threads. It brings back memories of the ones I've lost. It is said that time heals all wounds. I don't think that's true. Time might lessen the grief, but it never goes away completely.

Take comfort in the knowledge that Gossip Column was loved and cared for. Not all are that fortunate.

Mule

onefast99
01-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Sorry for your loss. Whenever somebody you loved has passed away it becomes a tragic event. But as you stated he was a member of your family and was treated royally. Although his time on earth was way too short know that he was shown love and affection that could only be equaled but not surpassed by any person around the globe.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
By Winston ChurchillThank you sir. I love the quote.

PaceAdvantage
01-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Been out of the loop for a week or two and just came across this thread...very sorry onefast...

onefast99
01-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Been out of the loop for a week or two and just came across this thread...very sorry onefast...Thank you PA.

NJ Stinks
01-19-2016, 12:37 AM
I'm thinking about all of you too, Onefast99.

nijinski
01-19-2016, 08:19 AM
So sorry for your loss of your horse .

MargieRose
01-19-2016, 05:42 PM
My condolences to you, onefast99. When my beloved dog died, my veterinarian sent the following message:

We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.

Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.

We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan.

"The Once Again Prince"
Irving Townsend

RIP Gossip Column.

onefast99
01-20-2016, 01:26 PM
My condolences to you, onefast99. When my beloved dog died, my veterinarian sent the following message:

We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.

Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.

We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan.

"The Once Again Prince"
Irving Townsend

RIP Gossip Column.Very nice quote,thank you.