PDA

View Full Version : National Championship Game...

LottaKash
01-12-2016, 03:18 AM
Wow, I thought that this year's edition was a real hoot.... :jump:

Everything you could want in a game of that status...

Anybody's game, all-nite long... I love College nailbiters..

I thought that the Clemson QB was a real talent, with a ton of poise and play as you go ability... I think the kid has a very bright future...

I'd take a game like that over a SuperBowl any day...(Unless of course I was betting/losing in the game, or rooting for my fave team)

ultracapper
01-12-2016, 03:38 AM
That Clemson QB was throwing BBs. Man, he throws a nice pass.

reckless
01-12-2016, 05:21 AM
With Alabama winning.... I get the feeling that Nick Saban is now seriously going to consider another shot at the NFL. Just my thought, that's all.

Stillriledup
01-12-2016, 05:30 AM
With Alabama winning.... I get the feeling that Nick Saban is now seriously going to consider another shot at the NFL. Just my thought, that's all.

Any theory on what team he might consider?

Tall One
01-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Alabama job>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any nfl gig currently open.

jmo.

barahona44
01-12-2016, 08:38 AM
There'a long trail of tears littered with the bodies of college head coaches who flopped in the pros (including Senor Saban). The rah-rah stuff only goes so far in the NFL.I also think that desperate teams turn to college star coaches and that desperation is one of the reasons why the coach fails.But I'm sure someone will give him a shot.

zico20
01-12-2016, 10:18 AM

Why would he go pro when he has a chance at going down in history as the greatest college coach of all time. He only needs two more championships to pass Bear Bryant and cement his legacy for all time.

Valuist
01-12-2016, 10:18 AM
He already tried the NFL, and failed. Of course, so did Pete Carroll, but not too many make the jump from college. Been a long time since Jimmy Johnson.

MutuelClerk
01-12-2016, 10:22 AM
The best thing about the game was the pace of play. Especially in the first half. It was quick, nearly non stop which also makes the commentators be quick and concise with their points. As far as Saban goes, I agree with Reckless. May not be this year but it will happen soon.

reckless
01-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Any theory on what team he might consider?

I am bad at the prediction game, SRU, and as I wrote, it is just an opinion.

But since you asked, the Philadelphia Eagles might work well for him. He was a coach there many years back and despite a horrible year in many respects there are enough solid players on that team for any coach to consider.

Hiring Chip Kelly out of college might hurt Saban's chances in Philly if Nick wants an NFL job, I know that too.

reckless
01-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Why would he go pro when he has a chance at going down in history as the greatest college coach of all time. He only needs two more championships to pass Bear Bryant and cement his legacy for all time.

If any successful college coach -- and Nick Saban is probably the most successful -- wants to put the cherry on his career, then success in the NFL is an obvious consideration.

I understand the Bear thing but I don't think that reason alone would keep Saban in Alabama if a great NFL offer and opportunity came along.

reckless
01-12-2016, 11:21 AM
There'a long trail of tears littered with the bodies of college head coaches who flopped in the pros (including Senor Saban). The rah-rah stuff only goes so far in the NFL.I also think that desperate teams turn to college star coaches and that desperation is one of the reasons why the coach fails.But I'm sure someone will give him a shot.

You make some good points but if the players 'trust' their coach and Saban should have some street cred with the younger pros, then any rah-rah stuff could work. Plus, I am not sure Saban is a rah-rah guy anyway.

If there are any NFL owners unsure about Saban as an NFL head coach all they need to do is ask Bill Belichick for his opinion on Saban. If that was to happen, any worries will probably end right then and there.

barahona44: who did you mean by Senor Saban?

barahona44
01-12-2016, 12:23 PM
You make some good points but if the players 'trust' their coach and Saban should have some street cred with the younger pros, then any rah-rah stuff could work. Plus, I am not sure Saban is a rah-rah guy anyway.

If there are any NFL owners unsure about Saban as an NFL head coach all they need to do is ask Bill Belichick for his opinion on Saban. If that was to happen, any worries will probably end right then and there.

barahona44: who did you mean by Senor Saban?
Seņor is Spanish for Mister and I just wanted to write that for Nick Saban , I can't write (or am too lazy to find out how to do so) the accent mark above the n in senor on my tablet.

Tall One
01-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Believe that Senor Saban = Mr. Nick Saban..and he's referencing his cup of coffee with the Dolphins.

barahona44
01-12-2016, 12:33 PM
Well the Dolphins hired Adam Gaze so I guess Miami is out. :)

Cleveland and Tampa Bay are interesting possibilities,especially the Bucs.I'm pretty sure Saban will demand to "buy the groceries",as Bill Parcells put it, as part of any deal.

reckless
01-12-2016, 12:40 PM
Seņor is Spanish for Mister and I just wanted to write that for Nick Saban , I can't write (or am too lazy to find out how to do so) the accent mark above the n in senor on my tablet.

Ahhh... dopey me. I didn't think you meant Nick. I do know Senor means Mister.

So, that said, don't laugh... OK laugh... I did think you meant old-time NFL head coach Lou Saban, who isn't Nick's father nor was he a relative.

ultracapper
01-12-2016, 01:17 PM

Only!! That don't hand those things out like coupons.

I agree with you though. Why he would not ride this thing he has built all the way out would be a tough question to answer. Rebuilding an NFL team is one of the most difficult things in sports. For every Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carroll there's a dozen Lou Holtz. Saban should stay put and ride the tide. He's 64. And every kid within 500 miles of Tuscaloosa will want to go there for the forseeable future. He'll get the pick of the litter every spring.

delayjf
01-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Recruiting is the name of the game in college, and Saben is a great recruiter. Not only does he own the state of AL, but he does well in throughout the south and especially in FL. His recruiting classes are always in the top 5.

Another thing I've been told regarding the Alabama program - which I'm not sure is true - is that the university will pull scholarships for recruits that don't pan out. Which they can in turn use on a new recruit. Again, I'm not sure that is true.

Am I the only one who thinks Kirk Herbstreit, the color commentator for the ESPN broadcast has a man crush on Lane Kiffin, the Bama offensive coordinator?? I swear he mentioned his Kiffen's name over and over again. It got to the point that it was irritating to me.