PDA

View Full Version : Comedians and comedy

Stillriledup
01-09-2016, 06:39 PM
I was thinking about guys like Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell and wanted to ask you if you think both these guys are 'funny' because they are outrageous. In other words, are funny and outrageous the same thing? If you think Kevin Hart is outrageous, and you think outrageous and funny are the same thing, than you'll think Hart is funny.

Tell me who your personal favorite comedians are and why. Are you into the outrageous comedy, I just find it too over the top, it's like the outrageous comedians are trying to be funny every second without coming up for air.

barahona44
01-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Comedians say funny things.
Comics say things funny.
-George Burns
So a comedian would be someone like Jerry Seinfeld, Will Ferrell would be a comic. I say this because it seems people are more divided about if a comic is funny as opposed to a comedian.I personally don't find most comics (in the definition given above) 'funny';I'm still at a loss as to why people ever found Pauly Shore hilarious ,or more in a contemporary vein Russell Brand.I've always liked Kevin James,even in his lesser movies, he'll always do something that makes me chuckle.

Tom
01-09-2016, 07:06 PM
I don't like either one of those two.
I like Seinfeld, Jeff Dunham, Lewis Black, about half of his act - when is a comedian and not a political jerk. Sam Kinison, but the top of the heap has to be Mitch Hedberg.

Stillriledup
01-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Comedians say funny things.
Comics say things funny.
-George Burns
So a comedian would be someone like Jerry Seinfeld, Will Ferrell would be a comic. I say this because it seems people are more divided about if a comic is funny as opposed to a comedian.I personally don't find most comics (in the definition given above) 'funny';I'm still at a loss as to why people ever found Pauly Shore hilarious ,or more in a contemporary vein Russell Brand.I've always liked Kevin James,even in his lesser movies, he'll always do something that makes me chuckle.

Good post 44.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-09-2016, 08:38 PM
...I'm still at a loss as to why people ever found Pauly Shore hilarious...

I always figured that it was because his dad Sammy Shore owned the club, and they served alcohol.

jballscalls
01-10-2016, 01:06 AM
I was thinking about guys like Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell and wanted to ask you if you think both these guys are 'funny' because they are outrageous. In other words, are funny and outrageous the same thing? If you think Kevin Hart is outrageous, and you think outrageous and funny are the same thing, than you'll think Hart is funny.

Tell me who your personal favorite comedians are and why. Are you into the outrageous comedy, I just find it too over the top, it's like the outrageous comedians are trying to be funny every second without coming up for air.

I really think a lot of comedy is generational and changes. I watch some of those old dean martin roasts and don't laugh at all. Johnny Carson didn't make me laugh. I do like Rickles though.

I tend to like the comedians who are really offensive and work "blue". Mitch Hedburg as someone said is one of the best. Anthony Jeselnik, Norm MacDonald, Artie Lange, Chris Rock, Chappelle, Nick DePaulo some of my faves.

Greyfox
01-10-2016, 01:52 AM
I really think a lot of comedy is generational and changes.

True humor certainly is generational and I don't see a lot of it today except on the occasional PBS shows from Britain.
Today many comedians seem to thrive on blatant crudeness.
The likes of Jack Benny, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Bob Hope, George Burns, and Jackie Gleason seem to have not passed on their subtleness to younger comedians. .

johnhannibalsmith
01-10-2016, 02:00 AM
... Mitch Hedberg.

:ThmbUp: guy was great.

Stillriledup
01-10-2016, 02:22 AM
I really think a lot of comedy is generational and changes. I watch some of those old dean martin roasts and don't laugh at all. Johnny Carson didn't make me laugh. I do like Rickles though.

I tend to like the comedians who are really offensive and work "blue". Mitch Hedburg as someone said is one of the best. Anthony Jeselnik, Norm MacDonald, Artie Lange, Chris Rock, Chappelle, Nick DePaulo some of my faves.

Thanks for the info, I've never heard of Hedburg, but I'm with you on the types of comedians you like, I also like Amy Schumer, she's probably the funniest female out there now, Sarah Silverman too is very good.

thaskalos
01-10-2016, 03:22 AM
I've noticed that the older I get...the less humor I find in people. Today's comedians do absolutely NOTHING for me.

The last really funny bit that I can recall was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N1sjdLQIj8

barahona44
01-10-2016, 08:00 AM
True humor certainly is generational and I don't see a lot of it today except on the occasional PBS shows from Britain.[I]
Today many comedians seem to thrive on blatant crudeness.
The likes of Jack Benny, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Bob Hope, George Burns, and Jackie Gleason seem to have not passed on their subtleness to younger comedians. .

Being crude and offensive only bothers me when they're not funny.

Johnny V
01-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Two gamblers are coming out of church on Sunday. One turns and says to the other, "hey look, it's Hallelujah not Hialeah". Henny Youngman one of my old time favorites.

Marshall Bennett
01-10-2016, 12:12 PM
George Carlin

Greyfox
01-10-2016, 12:35 PM
I've noticed that the older I get...the less humor I find in people. Today's comedians do absolutely NOTHING for me.

The last really funny bit that I can recall was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N1sjdLQIj8

Normally, I don't care for Mr. Bean, but that video is truly funny. :lol: :lol:

ManU918
01-10-2016, 01:41 PM
I think Hart's stand ups are some of the best but I don't find him outrageous. He talks about real life scenarios which I myself have experienced so I think he's hilarious.

9qOtEvK59NE

I8YIXk_18i0

oDeCWNPHd-w

PaceAdvantage
01-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Dice

:lol:

Zaf
01-19-2016, 12:43 AM
Dice

Love Dice :ThmbUp: Chris Rock, Mitch Hedburg (R.I.P.), Steven Wright, Jim Jeffries, Bill Burr, Joey Coco Diaz, Jay Mohr, Dean Delray, Anthony Jesselnik, Tony Hinchecliff, Patrice O'Neil (R.I.P.), Gregg Propps, just to name a few, I like to :D

Z

HuggingTheRail
01-19-2016, 01:09 AM
I have moved over to improv comedy - I find it much more enjoyable, to the point that I have even taken a couple of classes in it. I can't seem to find too many comedians now that hold my interest...

That said, I used to have a part time job at a show theatre - got to meet many of the performers....in over 5.5 years there, the nicest people I met were the Smothers Brothers.

lamboguy
01-19-2016, 09:04 AM
in 1970 i went to a place in New York City called Rodney Dangerfields. i saw that night Rodney himself, Jay Leno and Suzanne Somers. the place had a $7 cover charge and that included 2 drinks.

i have been fans of those people since that day.

Fager Fan
01-19-2016, 09:34 AM
George Carlin

I walked out of a Carlin act. I'm not a prude but he was so crude I found it worth leaving. He heckled me (and my friend) for leaving which didn't make me like him any better.

I like Bob Newhart and Steven Wright dry humor. Kevin James can make me laugh about anything. Billy Crystal was the best Oscar host.

jballscalls
01-19-2016, 01:37 PM
Dice

Dice has a great story about his first big break that he told howard stern a couple years ago. Starts about 17:30 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1apmS79N2Mw

classhandicapper
01-19-2016, 02:03 PM
in 1970 i went to a place in New York City called Rodney Dangerfields. i saw that night Rodney himself, Jay Leno and Suzanne Somers. the place had a $7 cover charge and that included 2 drinks.

i have been fans of those people since that day.

Rodney is my #1. A handful of times in my life I've seen a stand up routine that had me laughing so hard I was struggling to catch my breath. Rodney accounts for a few of them. The thing I loved about him is that he would tell a funny joke. You wouldn't be fully recovered from that one and he'd hit you with an even funnier one. At that point you'd be laughing really hard. Then before you could recover from that one he'd hit you with an even funnier one. At that point you'd be out of control.

Red Buttons used to be able to do the same thing to me with his "never got a dinner" routine. He'd have me laughing uncontrollably at times.

Foster Brooks did that to me too.

Some guys just have a kind of timing plus the material to make a series of jokes much funnier than any of the individual jokes.

TJDave
01-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Rodney is my #1.
With my dog I don't get no respect. He keeps barking at the front door. He don't want to go out. He wants me to leave

_______
01-19-2016, 02:19 PM
I was thinking of posting this in it's own thread but this seemed like a reasonable alternative.

Watched all 10 episodes of Angie Tribeca on TBS yesterday.

If you are a fan of Airplane, Police Squad style humor, you'd probably like this.

Lots of sight gags, pop culture references. Because of the visual aspects, it requires your full attention. No posting angry responses to Tom or Handicap.

classhandicapper
01-19-2016, 02:24 PM
With my dog I don't get no respect. He keeps barking at the front door. He don't want to go out. He wants me to leave

I don't get no respect at all. I bought my kids a bow and arrow for Christmas. They bought me a shirt with a bullseye on the back. :lol:

Stillriledup
01-19-2016, 02:53 PM
Love Dice :ThmbUp: Chris Rock, Mitch Hedburg (R.I.P.), Steven Wright, Jim Jeffries, Bill Burr, Joey Coco Diaz, Jay Mohr, Dean Delray, Anthony Jesselnik, Tony Hinchecliff, Patrice O'Neil (R.I.P.), Gregg Propps, just to name a few, I like to :D

Z

Highlights from Charlie Sheen roast, comedians include Anthony Jeselnik, Amy Schumer, Patrice O Neal, Charlie himself, Jeff Ross. Hilarious!

OTKvs4GR8Mk

Tom
01-19-2016, 03:38 PM

I don't get no respect at all. I bought my kids a bow and arrow for Christmas. They bought me a shirt with a bullseye on the back. :lol:

My bartender say to me, "Do you have any nude photos of your wife?"
"Of course not!" I told him.
"You want some?" he asked.

thaskalos
01-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Rodney is my #1.

And I get no respect from my DOCTOR either. I go to my doctor, and I ask him:

"Doc...every time I look in the mirror I wanna throw up. What's WRONG with me?

And he tells me:

"I don't know...but your eyesight is PERFECT!"

Tom
01-19-2016, 03:58 PM
My doctor told me I was overweight.
I told him I wanted a second opinion.
He said I'm ugly, too.

thaskalos
01-19-2016, 04:15 PM
Rodney is performing his stand-up act...and he gets picked-on by a heckler:

Heckler:- "Hey Rodney...what do you do for a living?"

Rodney: - "I get guys for your sister...alright?"

classhandicapper
01-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Great stuff.

Stillriledup
01-20-2016, 12:00 AM
The Rodney no respect angle was sheer brilliance. Legendary stuff, he essentially molded a successful comedic and acting career on those two words.

#norespect

thaskalos
01-20-2016, 12:07 AM
Red Buttons used to be able to do the same thing to me with his "never got a dinner" routine. He'd have me laughing uncontrollably at times.

"WHY? WHY are we giving this man a dinner...when some of the greatest people in history never got a dinner?

Goliath's MOTHER...who said to Goliath: 'Stop hanging around with David, you always come home STONED'...never got a dinner."

Zaf
01-20-2016, 12:38 AM
Highlights from Charlie Sheen roast, comedians include Anthony Jeselnik, Amy Schumer, Patrice O Neal, Charlie himself, Jeff Ross. Hilarious!

OTKvs4GR8Mk

Yes !!! Great stuff, thanks for posting :D

Z

Actor
01-20-2016, 02:19 AM
My doctor told me I was overweight.
I told him I wanted a second opinion.
He said I'm ugly, too.Your doctor is Groucho Marx!

johnhannibalsmith
01-20-2016, 09:59 AM
Got my wife the perfect second car. A tow truck.

classhandicapper
01-20-2016, 10:18 AM
"WHY? WHY are we giving this man a dinner...when some of the greatest people in history never got a dinner?

Goliath's MOTHER...who said to Goliath: 'Stop hanging around with David, you always come home STONED'...never got a dinner."

I find that ridiculously funny. When you get a sequence of them it's a thing of beauty. Red Buttons was a genius.