PDA

View Full Version : Run on a soft turf already

Mandrake
01-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Fairgrounds is pathetic. Give me a break. It's greener than green. You can't tell me that turf course is dangerous.

Stillriledup
01-09-2016, 06:14 PM
If the course is soft it gets chewed up when you run on it. FG is at sea level

http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2015/02/shifting_doorframes_cracking_d.html

thespaah
01-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Its agronomy....Turf courses in the south are Bermudagrass. This type of turf grows roots mainly across the surface and just a couple inched below. Also, seaside environments tend to be sandy soil.
The problem is the root system gets fractured and is then slow to recover.
If anyone has ever noticed the condition of GP West's turf course near the close of that meeting would understand how fragile these surfaces can be.
In conclusion, one or two days of use when the soil is very moist can result in weeks of recovery time.

Mandrake
01-09-2016, 06:30 PM
I've been to the jazz fest for 15 straight years, the turf course turns into a mud pie. They put lots of money into the drainage system the last year or two. I'm not saying run every day but on a Saturday, give me a break.

SuperPickle
01-09-2016, 10:24 PM
The best way to make money on the Fairgrounds turf is to wait till April, May and June and undervalue all positive form and dismiss negative form when horses ship out.

honestly that turf course is a huge dumpster fire. The timing is unreliable. The course condition is unique. And the form is super suspect and rarely transfers.