PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the MS plans for the future

Tom
01-08-2016, 03:39 PM
MS is obviously moving quickly towards subscription-only windows, with them calling all the shots on everything.

I have no intentions of having them tell me how run my computer and I will not rent software I already own and am satisfied with just so they can better plan their cash flows.

My plan is to buy a chap Chromebook for my internet use, and use my W7 and XP machines permanently off line. I can hook up with a USB ethernet cable and use the other USB to download racing files.

Anyone using a CB now?
What are your thoughts - good machine?
Price seems nice - ~$200.

reckless
01-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Tom, I have three computers--one is an ancient desktop, bought in 1999, Win XP op sys; the other is also old, an Acer laptop bought in 2003, Vista op sys; my newest one is a HP laptop I bought about 16 months ago and it had Win 8.1 installed.

Because I hate the MS-Windows model of forcing people into obsolesence and locking users into their expensive, bloated domain, I installed a Linux op sys on all three machines. No dual-booting w/Windows... all clean Linux installs.

On the old desktop, with its limited processor capacity, I installed a distro called Ubuntu 10.04. It works well, is somewhat slow and I do get msgs that I should do an upgrade. I don't use it for any internet stuff of any kind. Also, I am afraid to upgrade because an upgrade on this old machine just might break the system. I do have full and complete software programs on it so it is very functional.

On the Acer laptop I installed Linux Lite 2.4 and it works like a charm. I have all the productivity tools just like any newer computer with Windows 8.1 on it. Firefox is my browser, Libre Office is my complete office suite, VLC is for my video viewing... Thankfully, I haven't had a single problem.

My 'new' machine now has Linux Mint 17.3 -- the most up to date version. Again, it works great and I haven't had a single issue. And it is super fast, much much faster than when I had the MS garbage on it.

Now, understand, I am not a power user and I don't do any heavy gaming accept for free cell and solitaire, so you may not find Linux attractive for your needs.

On all my Linux systems the price was right and installation was a breeze.

Dave Schwartz
01-08-2016, 04:56 PM
My trusted sources tell me that MS is going to make Windows open source because there is an alternative OS coming that pretty much runs everything. The belief among the aforementioned sources say that MS has been losing money on Windows for years and welcomes the opportunity to be rid of the nightmare.

(Apparently the profit comes from Office.)

https://www.reactos.org/

Hoofless_Wonder
01-09-2016, 02:32 AM
If I had to predict what MicroSoft will do, I will see them pushing subscription plans for some of their applications, but not their operating system. They are not very innovative with their o/s, but they still control the market. I'd expect W10 to still be around 10 years from now. Their push to put apps in the Cloud (MS 365) is struggling with some businesses, with many returning their email to their own hosted servers. Exchange is still the most popular email system, and I don't see that changing much. I'm not sure what M$ is planning for Open Source, but maybe that's their approach on maintaining the "moat" that Windows has on the o/s market. I agree that their "captive" control of Windows 10 is irritating, and I think they're going to drive businesses into using simple virtual desktops for many users. Their apps like Office products and SQL are still the nuts though.

I had a chromebook for a while, but it had several drawbacks. I found the screen too small for serious work, and the video display was poor, with slow response from the processor. It was cheap and easy to tote around, but it's not a good choice for your sole internet connection. You'd be MUCH better off loading Linux on a cheaper or older desktop. Linux Mint or Ubuntu is the way to go. Very fast, secure, and a much more usable apps online versus the "mobile" style (simple, limited) apps for a Chromebook.

I built a new desktop a couple of months ago, in dual bootable mode, with Linux Mint the main o/s and Windows 10 for very limited use. It rocks 'cause I got some crazy hardware. I'm going to use my old desktop as an offline only machine with Windows Vista, with no need to worry about security, and that's where I'll run the handful of Windows apps I use.

wilderness
01-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Hey Tom,
I've three machines (although haven't used two in more than a year) still running on XP. One of the machines is XP 64 and the other two XP 32.
This primary machine resulted in some issues earlier this week.

I've been using GESWall (as provided from this forum some years back), and the Free Avira (Avira caught two malwares on December 2015 updates).
The GESWall would no longer function after Jan 1st (and has not been updated in 2-3- years, however it worked fine by isolating every download from the OS until the 1st).
My Avira had an expiration date of Dec 31st. In the past when Avira expired I was able to uninstall and use an old download to re-install. That would not work this time.

Found another free Firewall (COMODO), however it works different than GESWall and I'm not sure how safe it is in the present configuration.

Was unable to locate a new free AV software that would work with XP.

I'm stuck with my old machines, as my very old scanners (and especially their OCR softwares) will not function with anything newer than XP with SP2.

When my machines cease operation, I'm done.
I've not even made the transition to mobile device (and refuse to do so), my cell phone is phone and nothing else.

Tom
01-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Was unable to locate a new free AV software that would work with XP.

I've been using AVG Free for years - no problems.

rosenowsr
01-09-2016, 10:30 AM
I have been using a samsung chrome book connected to an external monitor for a couple years,works great if you just read emails and surf the net.

One important caveat to remember is that chrome books will not run Microsoft office. It will read excel files only. It will not let you do calculations.

A lot of Horse Racing software will not run on a chrome book. Strictly trial and error. Jcapper will not run on a chromebook.

At present I am using a chrome book for general surfing the net.
And a dedicated win 7 computer for horse racing and running excel programs.

I like the chrome book because it is inherently safer when cruising the net.

YMMV

wilderness
01-09-2016, 11:57 AM
I've been using AVG Free for years - no problems.

Was ditto for me as well.

XP with SP3 will apparently work.
XP with SP2 (my OCR restriction), will not work after Dec 31, 2015.

serp
01-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Chromebooks are a limited GUI sitting on top of Linux. They are good if you can do everything on web based programs.

For office programs you can use Google Docs or Microsoft Office 365 web apps. Both of these are capable of any calculations but might have some issues importing some older outdated files. These are essentially where the future development of office applications are going anyways.

If you want a more featured desktop you could do a full distribution of Linux like Ubuntu. This will let you also run some more apps locally and also give you the option of LibreOffice in addition to the previous mentioned cloud-based programs. This would likely mean installing the OS yourself though instead of buying an option already pre-installed.

I've personally been running various shades of Linux as my desktop and servers for about 18 years now. I've never been one to preach others into using it but I keep seeing people I'd never thought would switch be happy after they did lately.

Dave Schwartz
01-09-2016, 02:31 PM
A lot of Horse Racing software will not run on a chrome book. Strictly trial and error. Jcapper will not run on a chromebook.

Mouse horse racing software - probably all - will not run. Possibly an ultra-simple phone app would run. There is a way around it, though.

If you have a computer that is visible from the web you can run the software on THAT machine and then control it remotely from your tablet. I can only assume that would work with Chromebook. (I don't have to be right.)

Tom
01-09-2016, 03:39 PM
I have been using a samsung chrome book connected to an external monitor for a couple years,works great if you just read emails and surf the net.

One important caveat to remember is that chrome books will not run Microsoft office. It will read excel files only. It will not let you do calculations.

At present I am using a chrome book for general surfing the net.
And a dedicated win 7 computer for horse racing and running excel programs.

I like the chrome book because it is inherently safer when cruising the net.

YMMV

Yes, I would only use the CB for email and internet. All the real work would be done on my XP machines and W7 machine off line. Anything that requires me to be on line, well, buh-bye.

JimG
01-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Win7 pro will be my last online operating system. I don't care what Microsoft says or does. My offline stuff is XP and I am fine with that.

Jim

Tom
01-10-2016, 05:24 PM
There has been very little since W98 that I have needed or wanted.
Why should I keep paying for new programs that I have no use for?

Hoofless_Wonder
01-10-2016, 09:36 PM

If you've been updating your hardware on a regular basis, you've basically had the opportunity to get a subsidized version of the latest basic version of Windows (and nearly free) over the last 15 years. And it remains to be seen whether or not the subscription plan really needs to be avoided.

If you're using a Windows machine offline, I'd think the constant manual transfer of data files from the "internet" machine to your Windows world will get tiresome sooner, rather than later.

Another option to consider is a Linux machine with network connectivity and enough horsepower to run a Windows virtual machine, or you could try running your horse racing apps under a Windows emulator like Wine. Installing and running Linux is a breeze, with tons of online support and Youtube videos to get you through it.

Dave Schwartz
01-10-2016, 11:52 PM

How about faster connectivity via faster routers?

Or faster burners.

Or faster USB?

Or spreadsheets with less bugs?

The point is that there really have been useful upgrades. And perhaps you really don't need them, but going back to near-dialup speeds because there are no drivers for Win98 for the current hardware is really the catch-22 of staying in the "old world" of computing.

Tom
01-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Not using W98, just saying, my needs then and now are pretty much the same.

I don't burn anything but dinner, USB speed is of no real concern, connectivity will be good with CB.

wilderness
01-11-2016, 03:00 PM
I don't burn anything but dinner, USB speed is of no real concern, connectivity will be good with CB.

I've had a Blu-Ray burner on a XP-32 machine for three years. For a few months the same burner was on the XP-64 machine.

Haven't used the Blu-Ray burner for movies, rather purchased for the data capacity (150GB).
Made some inquires upon purchase to some harness racing orgs and they didn't even have a blu-ray readers in the buildings.

Hoofless_Wonder
01-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Win7 pro will be my last online operating system. I don't care what Microsoft says or does. My offline stuff is XP and I am fine with that.

Jim

Microsoft is now prompting users twice per day to upgrade, and even correcting the registry hacks to keep the pester factor high.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/01/11/1638202/get-windows-10-turns-itself-on-and-nags-win-7-and-81-users-twice-a-day?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashd ot%29

While I understand the desire for M$ to support fewer operating systems, this is really outrageous. They should just drop support and security updates for the older systems, and not hijack them and attempt a forced migration to W10.

Hoofless_Wonder
01-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Not using W98, just saying, my needs then and now are pretty much the same.

Can't help you with your cooking skills. Connectivity may be "good" with a Chromebook or Chromebox, but surfing speed and display time may be slower than you like. The chromebook I had was huffing and puffing to stream races from Twinspires, and with more tracks in HD, that's probably not getting any better.....

If you saunter on over to a local electronics store, they should have a Chromebook you can try surfing on. Give it whirl before you buy one. I ended up giving mine away.

Tom
01-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Thanks for BIG heads up.

Red Knave
01-12-2016, 07:47 PM
Thanks for BIG heads up.
HW speaks true. Surfing and streaming are very different.

upthecreek
01-18-2016, 06:13 AM
Forbes Now: Microsoft Makes Windows 7 And Windows 8 Support Worse. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw8PilvSc

JimG
01-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Forbes Now: Microsoft Makes Windows 7 And Windows 8 Support Worse. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw8PilvSc

Thanks for posting. Just confirms I am not going to be muscled any longer by MS to upgrade when everything is fine on my end. I have 6 computers, some laptops, some desktops, with a mixture of win7 pro or XP. That is good enough for me. To hell with them.

Jim

Flysofree
01-18-2016, 02:41 PM
Thanks for posting. Just confirms I am not going to be muscled any longer by MS to upgrade when everything is fine on my end. I have 6 computers, some laptops, some desktops, with a mixture of win7 pro or XP. That is good enough for me. To hell with them.

Jim

I agree with you Jim. I'm happy with Windows 7 too and will not upgrade to 10.
But what do we do 4 years from now for getting on the internet? Won't certain activities like online banking etc or simply surfing the web, be risky without their patches to help keep the bad guys away? :confused:

MJC922
01-18-2016, 08:48 PM
I think what troubled me most is the news I heard recently regarding the possibility that older windows OSs may not run properly on new CPUs. Man if that ever comes to pass it would present a dilemma of huge proportions.

Flysofree
01-18-2016, 09:33 PM
What's a CPU?

MJC922
01-18-2016, 09:54 PM
What's a CPU?

Processor. You've probably heard of an Intel core i7 for example. My concern is if I host a Win7 VM on a machine with a Core i7, that's fine, today. Now in 5 years say the motherboard fails, I go out and buy a new host (new pc or server) with the latest processor, drop the Win7 VM onto it and suddenly I have issues? That would be a total disaster for me.

Hoofless_Wonder
01-19-2016, 04:16 AM
I think what troubled me most is the news I heard recently regarding the possibility that older windows OSs may not run properly on new CPUs. Man if that ever comes to pass it would present a dilemma of huge proportions.

You've got a little bit of wiggle room, as for the next 18 months the support of the older operating systems on the new chips will continue. After that, it's looking dark.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-updates-support-policy-new-cpus-will-require-windows-10/

For enterprise customers that want to buy "future proof" new hardware based on Skylake processors running older Windows versions, Microsoft will publish "a list of specific new Skylake devices we will support to run Windows 7 and Windows 8.1." That support will run for a period 18 months, until July 17, 2017, after which those enterprise customers will be expected to upgrade to Windows 10.

The bottom line is that M$ and Intel got accustomed to PC users needing frequent updates of their hardware and software back in the '90s. Now that performance increases in hardware have flattened a bit (plus the economy sucks), consumers and business users are not getting new systems every few years. I just upgraded my Dell home desktop that was eight years old with a kick-ass custom one, and my dad is still (occasionally) running my previous HP system that I bought back in 2001.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, as the push by M$/Intel for upgrades collides with the economic downturn. I could easily see where a Linux based appliance plugged into a cheap cloud desktop could be one option to keep a secure system with internet access. But as friendly as Linux is today, I'm surprised M$ is taking this gamble. You have to be a pretty hard-core gamer or power business user to need virtually any of the latest Windows or Intel chip features.....

Flysofree
01-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Do Apple computers charge their operating system every several years like Microsoft does?

Tom
01-28-2016, 09:05 AM
Just thought of this....what about Windows Genuine Advantage?
If I go "off the grid" and keep my XP and W7 machines off line, will failure to connect with WGA, will my OS be stopped from running?

_______
01-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Do Apple computers charge their operating system every several years like Microsoft does?

Short answer. Yes.

Flysofree
01-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Short answer. Yes.

After a little thought I realized that they probably did as you say "short answer. Yes".

Why are Apple users happier than Microsoft users. The reason I heard from one guy and that was 6 or 7 years ago... He said he didn't have to worry about Viruses and the like. It that still a valid reason?

LottaKash
01-28-2016, 08:22 PM
He said he didn't have to worry about Viruses and the like. It that still a valid reason?

I think it is because you have to pay more for it....

An old "horse trading saying"..."The more you pay the more it's worth"... :D

_______
01-28-2016, 08:45 PM
After a little thought I realized that they probably did as you say "short answer. Yes".

Why are Apple users happier than Microsoft users. The reason I heard from one guy and that was 6 or 7 years ago... He said he didn't have to worry about Viruses and the like. It that still a valid reason?

There is a smaller installed user base so it's not as large a target for hackers. I'm not sure it's intrinsically safer than Windows machines but I'm not an expert. I'm sure others here know better and could chime in.

I switched out in 2007 after using a friend's IMac. I'm not always terribly adroit with new technology but found that almost everything on the Mac worked intuitively. There was much less of a learning curve than I experienced with Windows.

I wound up buying one of the last of the polycarbonate MacBooks and still use it. It continues to function well for my needs despite being so out of date I haven't been able to run the last two operating system updates. I'm running Mountain Lion which has since been replaced by Maverics and then El Capitan.

That said, I did buy a super cheap Windows laptop for on line poker once I dumped my old desktop. It was less expensive than the emulators I would need to run on the Mac.

The comment by LottaKash is no joke. You pay to play in Apple's garden. For me, the expense was worth it. But I paid more for a 13" screen without FireWire than I would have for a 17" Windows machine at the time.

Red Knave
01-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Why are Apple users happier than Microsoft users.
The real truth is that they're not happier. There are fewer of them and they buy Apple so that they don't have to learn the ins and outs of Windows.

I've been using Windows since it's infancy so the hook is in too deep but even with that, I don't get the popularity of Apple. I understand for phones or tablets but not laptops or desktops.

Hoofless_Wonder
01-30-2016, 05:39 AM
Just thought of this....what about Windows Genuine Advantage?
If I go "off the grid" and keep my XP and W7 machines off line, will failure to connect with WGA, will my OS be stopped from running?

As long as their version of Windows is activated, you should be okay. In other words, if those machines have already been connected to the internet, they should be activated (at least your W7 machine). Taking them off the internet should have no effect on the the o/s continuing to run properly. I just loaded Vista on to a virtual machine, and had three days to activate it.

Within a few weeks, I'll be rebuilding my old desktop with some flavor of Linux and XP, and I do not plan to ever connect it to the internet. I do plan to key in the license code and apply service packs 1-3 on it. I'll let you know if it gives me any problems.

Worse case scenario would be to have to install the o/s, and connect briefly to the internet for activation. As long as you didn't get infected during that operation, you'd be okay.

MJC922
01-31-2016, 06:01 PM
Windows VMs tend to deactivate when moving to a new PC because windows will detect the different CPU etc, (unless it's a vsphere cluster, in that case you buy servers with the same CPUs for that reason).

However if you have a legal key it's usually not much of an issue to either click the link to reactivate or call MS using the phone activation method. If they question it just tell them the truth and say you moved it to a new host and it deactivated.

I have done it many times and not had a problem with it, then again all my keys have been either full retail or MSDN... now if it's an OEM key I can't say for sure how they react on the phone but I still think they won't give you trouble under the circumstances.

headhawg
02-02-2016, 11:32 PM
Some news for Win 7 and 8 users: Recommended update (http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-starts-pushing-windows-10-as-a-recommended-update/)

Here's a tool that may help prevent the forced Win 10 update: GWX Control Panel (http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html)

forced89
02-03-2016, 09:32 AM
I understand why Microsoft is doing this from an internal perspective but from my perspective it sucks. I have automatic updates turned off now and research each one before I download it. I find that some of the "Recommended Updates" are absolutely useless for my needs and make sure not to download them.

Tom
02-17-2016, 10:24 PM
The installation of W10 will be appearing in an update.
Be wary.

MS doesn't care if your other software works with W10 or not.
They want everyone on W10 and what the customer wants is not their concern.

I guess their goal is to destroy the whole computer world with another of their inferior products all at once. :bang:

Hoofless_Wonder
02-19-2016, 04:59 AM
I think part of this is M$ has seen revenue drop as users keep systems longer. Back in the 90s and early 2000s when a majority of consumers were replacing their systems every few years, the $$$ was rolling in.

So now they've got to limit how long you use an older o/s, and gain back some of that revenue by lowering their support spending and having some customers upgrade. Time will tell if MACs or Linux can take more of their market share....

headhawg
03-09-2016, 11:59 PM
IE users beware. Win 10 ads (http://www.infoworld.com/article/3042155/microsoft-windows/windows-patch-kb-3139929-when-a-security-update-is-not-a-security-update.html)

I launched IE to test this as it's not my regular browser. Like the author, I did not get the banner ads. Curious if any members here are getting them.

Tom
03-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Heard about this on the local computer show Saturday.
W10 is not FREE. :lol:

headhawg
03-16-2016, 11:55 PM
More M$ nonsense. Win10 ugrade without consent (http://www.infoworld.com/article/3043526/microsoft-windows/microsoft-upgraded-users-to-windows-10-without-their-ok.html)

If you don't want a forced upgrade, I recommend the GWX Control Panel app.

hracingplyr
03-17-2016, 08:54 AM
My question, is it really necessary for me to upgrade to windows 10 from my 8.1? I think they said they will support windows 8.1 until the yr 2023 or 2025?

PaceAdvantage
03-17-2016, 10:53 AM
My question, is it really necessary for me to upgrade to windows 10 from my 8.1? I think they said they will support windows 8.1 until the yr 2023 or 2025?It may not be necessary, but Win 10 is a much better experience in my opinion. So while not necessary, it certainly, in my opinion, is worthwhile.

hracingplyr
03-17-2016, 12:30 PM
PA. How about things i have saved to my favorites? Will i loose them when i update to 10?

PaceAdvantage
03-17-2016, 12:49 PM
I don't know, because I have never upgraded any of my windows 8 machines to 10.

I only have 10 on one laptop and it came that way.

HoofedInTheChest
03-17-2016, 04:38 PM
If you don't want a forced upgrade, I recommend the GWX Control Panel app.
I second that, the "Windows Nag" was really starting to annoy me, and i stumbled across GWX and installed it, problem solved.

The new version not only deletes the "hidden" file for W10, but if you select the "monitor" function, it will let you know when sneaky MS includes additional W10 programs in any of their updates.

wilderness
03-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Hey Tom,
I've three machines (although haven't used two in more than a year) still running on XP. One of the machines is XP 64 and the other two XP 32.
This primary machine resulted in some issues earlier this week.

snip. . .snip

Found another free Firewall (COMODO), however it works different than GESWall and I'm not sure how safe it is in the present configuration.

FWIW,
Yesterday there was a software update for Comodo that disabled-any-internet-connection at all.

1) contacted my internet provider to assure connection and was good.
2) Tried turning the firewall off and no effect.
3) tried uninstalling and locked-computer without uninstalling.
4) Hooked up a laptop and contacted Comodo (they were NO help at all).
5) Restored computer to two days ago and worked fine, however multiple Comodo errors.
6) Disabled Comodo permanently.

I'm leery at this point in any attempt to uninstall Comodo a second time.

My memory is not what it used to be!
Might anybody recall that XP file that turns on software's at start-up?

wilderness
03-24-2016, 06:54 PM
Might anybody recall that XP file that turns on software's at start-up?

Apologies.

It's msconfig and then Startup

_______
04-25-2016, 05:34 PM
I assume if you, like me, haven't installed the update yet you are also getting the increasingly shrill reminders. Today, the choice was "install now" or "install tonight".

I did a quick search and it was actually pretty easy to get rid of the program generating the pop ups.

Control Panel>Programs and Features>Installed Updates. Search for KB3035583. Double click and then "Yes" to uninstall. Restart and it's gone.

You can always reinstall it if you change your mind about the update.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-remove-get-windows-10-app-pc

ThinkingAlways
04-28-2016, 02:26 PM
I use a program called Never10 from GRC to accomplish turning off the upgrade feature. VERY simple to use, nothing to install, can switch back if you ever want to install 10.

togafig2
04-30-2016, 02:08 PM
Tom
Did you decide on the chrome machine?
Or did you decide to forget about it?
Thanks
togafig2

_______
04-30-2016, 03:43 PM
I assume if you, like me, haven't installed the update yet you are also getting the increasingly shrill reminders. Today, the choice was "install now" or "install tonight".

I did a quick search and it was actually pretty easy to get rid of the program generating the pop ups.

Control Panel>Programs and Features>Installed Updates. Search for KB3035583. Double click and then "Yes" to uninstall. Restart and it's gone.

You can always reinstall it if you change your mind about the update.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-remove-get-windows-10-app-pc

LOL. Ignore this post. It reinstalled itself.

Will try the GRC avenue.

Tom
04-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Tom
Did you decide on the chrome machine?
Or did you decide to forget about it?
Thanks
togafig2

I am looking at a lot of them this week.
I will pull the trigger soon.
I cannot wait actually. I have had my fill of computers and their lack of security for the internet. And ta ta MS.

Flysofree
04-30-2016, 07:35 PM
I am looking at a lot of them this week.
I will pull the trigger soon.
I cannot wait actually. I have had my fill of computers and their lack of security for the internet. And ta ta MS.

Hi Tom.....Let us know when you you pick one. I may also be looking for one soon.

forced89
05-01-2016, 11:37 AM
I stumbled across GWX and installed it, problem solved.

The new version not only deletes the "hidden" file for W10, but if you select the "monitor" function, it will let you know when sneaky MS includes additional W10 programs in any of their updates.

I also feel good about having installed GWX. The monitor in the newest version is a real plus IMO.

Tom
05-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Hi Tom.....Let us know when you you pick one. I may also be looking for one soon.

My sister bought n over the weekend, an ASUS, touch screen, the kind you fold over and use like a tablet if you want. It is pretty neat. You turn it on and in seconds, you are ready to go. I set up her email so G Mail will get the RR mail - took about a minute to do. Video is very good on it.

I found one I think will be it....ASUS C201PA-DS02 Chromebook Rockchip RK3288C (1.80 GHz) 4 GB OnBoard Memory 16 GB eMMC SSD 11.6" Chrome OS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232497&ignorebbr=1)

I need a cable to adapt from USB to Ethernet, but that is all.
Probably order tonight or tomorrow.

Nutz and Boltz
05-10-2016, 07:57 AM
My sister bought n over the weekend, an ASUS, touch screen, the kind you fold over and use like a tablet if you want. It is pretty neat. You turn it on and in seconds, you are ready to go. I set up her email so G Mail will get the RR mail - took about a minute to do. Video is very good on it.

I found one I think will be it....ASUS C201PA-DS02 Chromebook Rockchip RK3288C (1.80 GHz) 4 GB OnBoard Memory 16 GB eMMC SSD 11.6" Chrome OS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232497&ignorebbr=1)

http://www.howtogeek.com/173353/how-to-run-windows-software-on-a-chromebook/
You might find this interesting, Tom.

Nutz and Boltz
05-10-2016, 07:58 AM

You might find this interesting, Tom.
http://www.howtogeek.com/173353/how-to-run-windows-software-on-a-chromebook/