PDA

View Full Version : California Chrome... Rusty?

PowerUpPaynter
01-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Good Day,

After all that time off can California Chrome really return to form? Have to figure hes going to be extra rusty. Wouldn't it take a lot to ask him to return to spring 2014 form which was spectacular.

lamboguy
01-06-2016, 03:04 PM
i think he will be real sharp, hopefully not overly sharp

PowerUpPaynter
01-06-2016, 03:07 PM
i think he will be real sharp, hopefully not overly sharp

what would overly sharp consist of?

Tall One
01-06-2016, 04:44 PM
what would overly sharp consist of?

One example is a bullet or blowout just prior to the race. They can make a horse too keen, or they can also be a good tightener for the upcoming effort.

I think CC could be short just because of what he's been through getting back home, but if anybody knows his limits, its Sherman.

lamboguy
01-06-2016, 04:46 PM
what would overly sharp consist of?to aggressive early and cause him not to run his best race.

chadk66
01-06-2016, 08:04 PM
based on his last work out I'd guess there probably isn't a horse in training here that would get close

elhelmete
01-06-2016, 09:22 PM
the track will be taking perhaps as much as 3" of water between yesterday and Friday...

Donttellmeshowme
01-06-2016, 11:27 PM
the track will be taking perhaps as much as 3" of water between yesterday and Friday...

if it dries out it might be lightening fast

SuperPickle
01-07-2016, 02:19 PM
The bigger question is if its sloppy do the scratch

elhelmete
01-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Today is sunny and cool, looks the same for tomorrow too.

Showers predicted Saturday.

ronsmac
01-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Sherman said he thinks he's 5 lengths better than he's ever had him. That's pretty bold and seems a little ambitious. A good measuring stick will be Hoppertunity. Chrome was about 5 lengths better than him when in form and according to Beyer runs a pretty consistent number every time. I don't know what Thorograph thinks of him. If Chrome is "better than ever" , he should win by at least 5 lengths.

classhandicapper
01-07-2016, 09:56 PM
Sherman said he thinks he's 5 lengths better than he's ever had him.

I'd like to take that bet.

On the plus side, it seemed like he was still moving forward at the end of his 3yo campaign. Then we never really got a chance to see a full 4yo campaign. So it's theoretically possible the best may be ahead. But he was not moving forward fast enough at 3 to assume he could be 5 length better now.

horses4courses
01-07-2016, 10:16 PM
Sherman never did much boasting before about this horse.
He may just be jazzed to see him back healthy again.

CC should waltz home in this.
Unless he has to navigate a swamp.

no breathalyzer
01-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Sherman said he thinks he's 5 lengths better than he's ever had him. That's pretty bold and seems a little ambitious. A good measuring stick will be Hoppertunity. Chrome was about 5 lengths better than him when in form and according to Beyer runs a pretty consistent number every time. I don't know what Thorograph thinks of him. If Chrome is "better than ever" , he should win by at least 5 lengths.

Hope he breaks the track record :jump:

letswastemoney
01-07-2016, 10:30 PM
Any kind of win or close 2nd should be fine off the layoff. My expectations aren't too high.

SandyW
01-08-2016, 03:22 AM
Good Day,

After all that time off can California Chrome really return to form? Have to figure hes going to be extra rusty. Wouldn't it take a lot to ask him to return to spring 2014 form which was spectacular.

When Califorina Chrome blows that field away for fun that extra rusty that you are talking about will turn to bright chrome.

lamboguy
01-08-2016, 08:40 AM
When Califorina Chrome blows that field away for fun that extra rusty that you are talking about will turn to bright chrome.i have blown more money betting on just turned 4 year olds facing non-conditioned horses for the first time. CHROME is 5 and has already ran well against older horses. therefore i would say that you are probably right.

Redboard
01-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Like the fact that a former Derby Winner/HOY is going to run at five but wish they would keep him in the USA the entire year. The connections did say he’s America’s horse. So we’re going to see him in this crappy race running for a lousy $200k then he’ll be on his way to Dubai. After that, who knows.
Here’s my take on it. Coburn is such a hated person in the industry, the USA breeders refused to give them a breeding contract commiserate with his accomplishments. So last year the ownership group tried to make him attractive to the foreign breeders with a turf campaign, that didn’t work out very well. Then the group got rid of Coburn, thinking that would appease the USA breeders. They tell us that Coburn’s been bought out and no longer has any stake in California Chrome Llc. But that didn’t work either, no one believed them and neither do I.