PDA

View Full Version : Tragic barn fire in Canada.

Stillriledup
01-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Devastating.

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/1-5-16/wallace-devastated-blaze.html

Go fund me link inside article.

They're at 17k of the target of 100k.

EMD4ME
01-05-2016, 08:31 PM
SRU thanks for posting. This is more important than other crap we argue about.

Zaf
01-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Horrible, trajedy, no sprinklers or smoke detectors :( :ThmbDown:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/01/05/at-least-43-racehorses-die-in-ontario-stable-fire.html

Z

Ted Craven
01-06-2016, 10:23 AM
I wept when I heard the interview on CBC with one of the trainers. It's near where I grew up.

Go Fund Me link: https://www.gofundme.com/abhm5afg

Ted

Greyfox
01-06-2016, 10:45 AM
That is very sad indeed.
I've been told by a former Fire Captain that when a barn or stable area goes on fire, horses are really difficult to manage.
"You virtually have to blindfold them to have any chance at all of bringing them out."

EdZone
01-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Among the horses Wallace lost were Penji Hanover, which competed in last year’s North America Cup, and Apprentice Hanover, a five-year-old bay that was considered one of the finest active standardbred horses in the country and only last month topped $1 million in earnings.

Frost king
01-06-2016, 03:15 PM
The biggest problem with trying to save the horses, is that unless you tie them off outside of the barn when it is on fire, they will try to return to it. Even if it is engulfed in flames. They see the barn as a place of solitude and home. That is why they never try to leave. Even if they were left with the stall doors open and loose in the stalls, they wouldn't leave the barn if it was on fire. They would just stand there until overcome by the smoke and then parish in the flames. Truly sad, because that is how they have been trained to do. Stay in there stalls and someone will take them out and bring them back in. The urge to flee, has been taken out of them.

Longshot6977
01-06-2016, 06:48 PM
The biggest problem with trying to save the horses, is that unless you tie them off outside of the barn when it is on fire, they will try to return to it. Even if it is engulfed in flames. They see the barn as a place of solitude and home. That is why they never try to leave. Even if they were left with the stall doors open and loose in the stalls, they wouldn't leave the barn if it was on fire. They would just stand there until overcome by the smoke and then parish in the flames. Truly sad, because that is how they have been trained to do. Stay in there stalls and someone will take them out and bring them back in. The urge to flee, has been taken out of them.

That is one of the saddest things I ever read. :(

camluck49
01-06-2016, 08:54 PM
Horrible, trajedy, no sprinklers or smoke detectors :( :ThmbDown:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/01/05/at-least-43-racehorses-die-in-ontario-stable-fire.html

Z

How do you have a state of the art facility. with out a sprinkler system and at least smoke detectors?

Longshot6977
01-07-2016, 07:58 AM
How do you have a state of the art facility. with out a sprinkler system and at least smoke detectors?

From the article:

According to a spokesman for the Ontario Fire Marshal’s office, under the Ontario Fire Code, barns aren’t required to have sprinkler systems or smoke detectors.

Saving money perhaps? :(

Frost king
01-07-2016, 09:18 AM
From the article:

According to a spokesman for the Ontario Fire Marshal’s office, under the Ontario Fire Code, barns aren’t required to have sprinkler systems or smoke detectors.

Saving money perhaps? :(

Instead of sitting there and speculating, why don't you take 5 minutes and do some research on the situation? Go to Fire Safety in Horse Stables Fire Prevention is the Best Practice, a paper from the University of Guelph (Top Vet School on Canada). You will see why sprinklers would not have saved them.

ebcorde
01-07-2016, 11:31 AM
could it be they could go off by accident and spook a horse?

I'd look into the fire. Seems this happens every few years or so. considering the small number of race tracks.

I don't know we got a lot of old Amish tobacco barns, cow and horse barns around. virtually no fires I've seen or read about. No Rosy the cow knocked the lantern over articles.

In Horse Racing my first suspicion is always one that fits in a Soprano's episode. sorry bout that.

EdZone
01-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Kris Di Cenzo Stable No Serious Matter, owned by Kris Di Cenzo, Hamilton; John Baldasty, Oakville, Ont.

No Serious Matter supposed to be racing tonight at Woodbine race 9 #3. No Serious Matter scratched because he's gone with the fire.

Longshot6977
01-08-2016, 05:50 PM
Instead of sitting there and speculating, why don't you take 5 minutes and do some research on the situation? Go to Fire Safety in Horse Stables Fire Prevention is the Best Practice, a paper from the University of Guelph (Top Vet School on Canada). You will see why sprinklers would not have saved them.

Hey, thanks for doing the research for us. Nice attitude too. Have a wonderful day.

mrroyboy
01-08-2016, 06:56 PM
No matter how you look at it it's a disaster.