PDA

View Full Version : Mohaymen

f2tornado
01-05-2016, 04:30 PM
It's very early yet but if I was going to plunk down a Derby wager today it would be on this $2.2M Tapit colt out of Justwhistledixie. The Remsen performance was impressive with Jerome winner Flexibility slowly losing ground in the stretch. The final time of 1:50.69 was very solid but perhaps not a show stopper. The final 3/8th in 36.96 is a promising indicator of a potential Derby winner, especially if this translates in one of the 100 point preps.

The dosage profile fits the modern Derby winner:
DP = 5-9-11-1-0 (26) DI = 3.00 CD = 0.69
One "solid" point is a plus.

The colt is from the Bold Ruler sire line which is next best to the red hot Raise A Native line in Derby winner's circle. Digging deep you will find one of Stanley's "conduit mares" Cherokee Rose in tail female. Fusaichi Pegasus had this one in the basement as well.

He's expected to tackle the shorter Holy Bull at Gulf late this month and likely as odds on chalk.

azeri98
01-05-2016, 06:06 PM
He will be the chalk in the Holy Bull, he looks good so far, I want to see how Swipe races in his preps, he has been chasing Nyquist in every race but I think his style and pedigree is ideal for the Derby.

sbcaris
01-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Tornado: Mohaymen is also inbred to the full siblings Relaunch and Moon Glitter. This pattern makes him a Rasmussen Factor horse which is also a positive in the Kentucky Derby.

f2tornado
01-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Agree on Swipe. The horse consistently gains ground in the stretch but I wonder if the colt is much like Keen Ice where slow early pace leads to frequent bridesmaid awards barring a speed meltdown. From a pedigree perspective, this one is out of the family 1-x Doxa line which has had much success in the Derby. There is also Buckpasser hiding on the dam side. I simply would have expected more than a nw2 after seven starts regardless of being Nyquist's shadow in several. A couple of those races were on the poky side too. Perhaps this one will mature in the coming months and I certainly wouldn't leave it out of my Derby tri if betting occurred today. I think I used it in a couple cheap Future 1 exacta wagers given a higher than average likelihood of making the gate.