PDA

View Full Version : Dortmund out of San Pasqual

cj
01-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Case of Chromitis?

Delta Cone
01-03-2016, 03:52 PM
That very well may be the case. But I am afraid Dortmund has a case of "Glass Joe-itis"

http://tasvideos.org/images/gameresources/mtpo/joe.gif

Over/under on number of times Dortmund leaves a starting gate this year? I'd put it at 2.5 and play the under.

Robert Fischer
01-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Dortmund is a talented giant and he has a top trainer.

He has not proven to be capable of relaxing, and that will always weigh against him at the higher levels, and probably make soundness tougher to maintain.

Stillriledup
01-03-2016, 05:43 PM
Case of Chromitis?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chromitis :D

horses4courses
01-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Horse missed work due to a quarter crack.
Has one of the best trainers around,
who says he's not where he wants him to be.

What's the big deal?
Enough with the conspiracy theories...... :rolleyes:

cj
01-03-2016, 06:22 PM

What's the big deal?

He has been working regularly, just not to Baffert's liking apparently.

andtheyreoff
01-03-2016, 06:23 PM

What's the big deal?

Come on. If California Chrome wasn't running in the San Pasqual, Dortmund would be running. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it.

The big question will be if he shows up in the San Antonio, like Baffert says. I doubt it.

EMD4ME
01-03-2016, 07:09 PM
That's what's wrong with this game (at least a small part of it).

Connections know who will be where and then avoid with BS excuses to avoid a showdown.

There are too many high $ races around for not that many horses. It's easy to avoid.

Baffert is ICE cold at the meet. Maybe some of the "training methods" have been altered ? ;)

horses4courses
01-03-2016, 07:53 PM
If Baffert felt the horse was right, he would run him.
Chrome, or no Chrome.

Stillriledup
01-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Chrome, or no Chrome.

So you're saying someone as sharp as Baffert doesn't ever consider who he might be running against and just enters willy nilly?

horses4courses
01-03-2016, 08:19 PM
So you're saying someone as sharp as Baffert doesn't ever consider who he might be running against and just enters willy nilly?

He may think his horse isn't good enough for the San Pasqual, idk.
Never ducked CC with Bayern, now did he?

Tall One
01-03-2016, 08:23 PM

That's exactly what he's saying. If Dortmund was ready, of course he'd run him. Especially if Chrome is considered the main threat.

Stillriledup
01-03-2016, 08:23 PM
He may think his horse isn't good enough for the San Pasqual, idk.
Never ducked CC with Bayern, now did he?

I don't know about ducking or not ducking, do you think he ever considers who he might be running against? What you're saying is that he wouldn't consider it and all that matters is if the horse is ready to go.

horses4courses
01-03-2016, 08:27 PM
I don't know about ducking or not ducking, do you think he ever considers who he might be running against?

That's a contradiction in terms.
To me, they are one and the same.

If he felt he had a healthy 4yo colt ready to run
in the G2 San Pasqual, yes, he would run him.

ultracapper
01-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Baffert's usually not an enter and scratch kind of guy. He seems to have a "you can't beat them if you don't run against them" attitude.

horses4courses
01-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Baffert's usually not an enter and scratch kind of guy. He seems to have a "you can't beat them if you don't run against them" attitude.

I remember him being "awesomed out" by CC's preps leading up to the KYD.
Who wasn't? He said something like "I want nothing to do with him" on TV.
At that time of 2014, he didn't have a colt to match CC.
Things changed come July.

SuperPickle
01-03-2016, 10:39 PM
I love this thread!!!

This might most PA thread in PA history.

First you have EMD taking a cheap shot with Baffert's "training methods" Because in EMD land it all boils down to drugs/race fixing/conspiracies.

Then someone else jumps in to accuse Baffert of ducking Crome. You know because god knows no one wants any part of a horse coming off injury and a layoff who hasn't won a race in over a year. That's the type of stuff the always keeps the horses in the barn. I'm scared just thinking about it.

And top it all off with Baffert being put in a no win situation. EMD has already declared him awful for racing by not racing the horse. Let's say the horse is simply short/not in good form as the CA clockers are saying. But Baffert decides "hey at 70-80% he's still probably 2-3rd best I'm going to run him." Trainers have done this before. Dortmund runs second or third or even fourth and Baffert's quote is something all the lines of "he was only 80% cranked up, next start he should be a tiger." Well in that scenario SRU would need CPR. Running a short horse is NOT allowed at SRU Downs.

So Baffert has no way of please our buddies SRU and EMD and he's absolutely terrified of an injured horse off a long layoff.

This is high quality PA Message Board material.

Nicely done!

v j stauffer
01-03-2016, 11:49 PM
I love this thread!!!

This might most PA thread in PA history.

First you have EMD taking a cheap shot with Baffert's "training methods" Because in EMD land it all boils down to drugs/race fixing/conspiracies.

Then someone else jumps in to accuse Baffert of ducking Crome. You know because god knows no one wants any part of a horse coming off injury and a layoff who hasn't won a race in over a year. That's the type of stuff the always keeps the horses in the barn. I'm scared just thinking about it.

And top it all off with Baffert being put in a no win situation. EMD has already declared him awful for racing by not racing the horse. Let's say the horse is simply short/not in good form as the CA clockers are saying. But Baffert decides "hey at 70-80% he's still probably 2-3rd best I'm going to run him." Trainers have done this before. Dortmund runs second or third or even fourth and Baffert's quote is something all the lines of "he was only 80% cranked up, next start he should be a tiger." Well in that scenario SRU would need CPR. Running a short horse is NOT allowed at SRU Downs.

So Baffert has no way of please our buddies SRU and EMD and he's absolutely terrified of an injured horse off a long layoff.

This is high quality PA Message Board material.

Nicely done!

SRU and EMD are clowns that will say anything to keep the trolling train a runnin.

Sharp Post.

no breathalyzer
01-04-2016, 06:33 AM
Looks like Dortmud lucked out or ducked out... either way would of been destroyed by Chrome

PaceAdvantage
01-04-2016, 02:40 PM
SRU and EMD are clowns that will say anything to keep the trolling train a runnin.

Sharp Post.The guys harping about SRU and EMD being trolls are almost getting to be trolls themselves... :lol:

classhandicapper
01-04-2016, 03:13 PM
These were my comments in the Chrome thread.

They are starting to handle Dortmund like they aren't very confident. I know he missed a little time after the last race, but when are you going to get a better shot at Chrome than his first race after a very long layoff? He has another prep scheduled in Dubai and the main event is the race after that. He almost can't be cranked 100% for this. Now he may win by default even if he's a bit short.

Mandrake
01-04-2016, 03:40 PM
2016 is going to be a long year if the horses to be excited about are California Chrome and Dortmund.

chadk66
01-04-2016, 03:42 PM
will anybody enter after the way Chrome worked the other day?

Rex Phinney
01-04-2016, 04:09 PM

How many shots did Baffert take at Shared Belief?

He ran the Dude against him in the Pac Classic, Fed Biz and a Sky Kingdom in the Awesome Again, Chitu in the Malibu and Hoppertunity in the San Antonio.

All the while running Bayern in the Penn Derby even though he ran awful at Saratoga, and then put Bayern in the deepend of the pool in the classic.

The idea that Baffert would be pulling his 1,350 pound freak to avoid a horse who hasn't won a race on dirt in 19 months is pretty funny.

Dortmund is huge, and my guess is that weight can be a huge benefit or a huge problem, right now it sounds like the horse may be having trouble lugging all that weight around.

Stillriledup
01-04-2016, 04:31 PM
How many shots did Baffert take at Shared Belief?

He ran the Dude against him in the Pac Classic, Fed Biz and a Sky Kingdom in the Awesome Again, Chitu in the Malibu and Hoppertunity in the San Antonio.

All the while running Bayern in the Penn Derby even though he ran awful at Saratoga, and then put Bayern in the deepend of the pool in the classic.

The idea that Baffert would be pulling his 1,350 pound freak to avoid a horse who hasn't won a race on dirt in 19 months is pretty funny.

Dortmund is huge, and my guess is that weight can be a huge benefit or a huge problem, right now it sounds like the horse may be having trouble lugging all that weight around.

The difference with those races though is they are 'top end'. The 'San Pasqual' is a race that you can find something similar if you wait, comparing that to the BC Classic isn't realistic.

ebcorde
01-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Chrome, or no Chrome.

you got that right. The Horses Baffert avoids are his own

SuperPickle
01-04-2016, 06:01 PM
How about Occam's Razor?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

It's January. The ultimate goal for the horse is the BC Classic which is over nine months away. His other goals are most likely the SA Handicap and the Pacific Classic. The clockers say the horse doesn't look as good as he has in the past. So Baffert passes on a race that in the longterm isn't really significant.

Does the San Pasqual really move the needle for Dortmund in stud value or Horse of the Year consideration?

azeri98
01-04-2016, 06:18 PM
2016 is going to be a long year if the horses to be excited about are California Chrome and Dortmund.
Couldn't agree more except all the better horses have been retired, we are going to have to wait for the new shooters to show up.

Rex Phinney
01-04-2016, 10:50 PM
The difference with those races though is they are 'top end'. The 'San Pasqual' is a race that you can find something similar if you wait, comparing that to the BC Classic isn't realistic.

I wasn't comparing the quality of the races, just that Baffert isn't going to be scared away from anything. In all those examples he ran horses that had a better than 50/50 chance of getting beat, but he ran them anyway.

This tells me he isn't playing any ducking games and that probably something is amiss with Dortmund.

Stillriledup
01-04-2016, 11:02 PM
I wasn't comparing the quality of the races, just that Baffert isn't going to be scared away from anything. In all those examples he ran horses that had a better than 50/50 chance of getting beat, but he ran them anyway.

This tells me he isn't playing any ducking games and that probably something is amiss with Dortmund.

It's not about being scared or ducking, it's just about trying to find the weakest spot, it's a business decision.

v j stauffer
01-04-2016, 11:06 PM
The guys harping about SRU and EMD being trolls are almost getting to be trolls themselves... :lol:

The great preponderance of my posts would suggest otherwise.

ebcorde
01-05-2016, 03:30 AM
How about Occam's Razor?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

It's January. The ultimate goal for the horse is the BC Classic which is over nine months away. His other goals are most likely the SA Handicap and the Pacific Classic. The clockers say the horse doesn't look as good as he has in the past. So Baffert passes on a race that in the longterm isn't really significant.

Does the San Pasqual really move the needle for Dortmund in stud value or Horse of the Year consideration?

the hell with the handicap and Pac classic. it's Dubai for me, if I were owner.
if that is Baffert's plan I'd sure like to know why he would skip Dubai

chadk66
01-05-2016, 09:45 AM
worst thing you can do for stud value is run a horse that isn't right and get his butt handed to him.

Tall One
01-05-2016, 09:55 AM
the hell with the handicap and Pac classic. it's Dubai for me, if I were owner.
if that is Baffert's plan I'd sure like to know why he would skip Dubai

Im sure the DWC is/would've been the goal, but with this slight set back, do you even consider it now?

Run him local, then ship him to KY this spring, and go from there with a campaign.

cj
01-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Im sure the DWC is/would've been the goal, but with this slight set back, do you even consider it now?

Run him local, then ship him to KY this spring, and go from there with a campaign.

Actually don't think it was ever a goal for this horse. The Big Cap is the goal. I don't know why it wasn't a goal, could be an owner decision since Baffert has gone many times in the past.

HuggingTheRail
01-05-2016, 10:57 AM
If you anagram the letters EMD + SRU, you can spell "Demurs" - which means

raise doubts or objections or show reluctance

Hmmm......maybe they are the same person..... :lol:

Tall One
01-05-2016, 12:44 PM
could be an owner decision since Baffert has gone many times in the past.

Agreed.