PDA

View Full Version : Teams that tank

Valuist
01-01-2016, 04:32 PM
I have a hard time buying into it. When I hear this Boza kid from Ohio State is the projected number one pick, then he goes out and gets ejected for targeting in the first quarter, I find it hard to believe a team would deliberately lose just to get this guy. When there's an Andrew Luck, Newton or future monster QB, maybe there could be a glimmer of truth. But there's nobody like that, at least that we are aware of now. Secondly, players have their own interests to look out for. If you are a marginal player; lets say you make $900,000 playing but know there's no guarantees you will around next year, why would you care that the team wants a higher draft pick? And if you are a bad team like Cleveland or Tennessee, who's to say you won't end up screwing up that pick anyways.

In the NBA its a bit different. Only 5 guys on the court at once; one guy can have a bigger impact. The Sixers organization (not necessarily the players) wanted to tank last year. But how has that worked out for them? They finally got to 3 wins by New Years day.

cj
01-01-2016, 04:49 PM
You can't really tank in football. The guys on the field are going to play hard, you get hurt otherwise. About the only way to tank is to play your worst players, but no coach is going to do that.

Stillriledup
01-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Thought this was a thread about the Iowa 'Pitt steelers' Hawkeyes.

Buncha clowns.

As far as tanking goes, I think organizations tank and not players. Players are playing for their own teams, their families.

Valuist
01-01-2016, 06:02 PM
You can't really tank in football. The guys on the field are going to play hard, you get hurt otherwise. About the only way to tank is to play your worst players, but no coach is going to do that.

True. I guess my point was more that we hear people say so often, "might as well lose so we get a better draft pick". In most cases, several slots in the draft makes little or no difference at all. And being a first pick in the NFL draft does not guarantee success.

barahona44
01-01-2016, 06:13 PM
True. I guess my point was more that we hear people say so often, "might as well lose so we get a better draft pick". In most cases, several slots in the draft makes little or no difference at all. And being a first pick in the NFL draft does not guarantee success.
Aundray Bruce, Russell Maryland, Steve Emtman, JaMarcus Russell and Tim Couch say "Hi"!

I guess having 'Russell' as part of your name isn't helpful.

Stillriledup
01-01-2016, 08:07 PM
Aundray Bruce, Russell Maryland, Steve Emtman, JaMarcus Russell and Tim Couch say "Hi"!

I guess having 'Russell' as part of your name isn't helpful.

Unless you also have Westbrook in your name. ;)

rastajenk
01-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Does anyone really think Bosa's ejection was justifiable? It may have been within the letter of the law, but was that the intention of the targeting rule? It looked like plays on a QB I've seen a thousand times or more. I don't even think it was a late hit.

Stillriledup
01-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Does anyone really think Bosa's ejection was justifiable? It may have been within the letter of the law, but was that the intention of the targeting rule? It looked like plays on a QB I've seen a thousand times or more. I don't even think it was a late hit.

He probably didn't mind not playing, why put yourself in a position to hurt your draft stock risking injury. Guys like this don't need to play for free.

rastajenk
01-02-2016, 08:50 AM
Then he could have signed with an agent and made himself ineligible three weeks ago. Why risk getting hurt in practice?