PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: January 1, 2016

Teach
01-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Race One:

“Lollipop…Lollipop…Oh Lolli, Lolli, Lolli…”. The Chordettes. Oh, by the way, Happy New Year! As you can surmise from my musical intro from the late-1950s (Remember Dick Clark’s “American Bandstand"). I like :7: Lemondrop Lollipop. Why? Foist, as they say in Maspeth, the hot as a petardo (appropriate for New Year’s Eve), Manny Franco, the Puerto Rican Caballero (he had the “hat trick,” yesterday) is in the irons. Second, trainer David Donk has picked up the pace. And third, this 4 year-old filly (Happy Birthday to all the horses) was a solid second in this company a few weeks ago. Any slight improvement… Others: :2: , :6: , :1: / :1a:

Race Two:

:6: My Super Nova. The drop is precipitous. Suspicious. Class wise, towers. In for a tag. Only win did come on a sloppy track over a year ago. Wet-track lineage: Maria’s Mon, Forestry, etc. Adds blinkers. Trainer George Weaver does very well with first-time claiming. Solid relatively-recent work. Irad. Nuff Said! Others: :9: , :4: , :3:

Race Three:

In this allowance sprint, n1x, I like the :6: Eloquent Tribute. “The Dynamic Duo” (Duo Dinamico): Irad and Rudy. As George & Ira Gershwin might have said: “Who can ask for anything more?” Tapit (Pulpit). Should enjoy any residual main-track moisture. Although I won’t know this until after the first race, I sense an “outside” track bias. As The Farmer’s Almanac once said: “Aw, Maw, here comes the thaw.” Only caveat. Nota bene: Has been away from the races for nearly 50 days. Yet, morning works are decent. I like the fact that “Triple-R” is working this filly five panels. Last seen in the 100k non-graded Safely Kept Stakes down at Laurel…finished fourth. Now, cuts back a panel. If reasonably ready… Others: :2: , :3: , :1:

Race Four:

In this NY State-bred maiden-claiming route, my pick is the Aaron Gryder-ridden (remember when he won, in 2009, the Dubai World Cup) :2: Luckybuck Syndrome. This 3 year-old chestnut colt drops in for a tag. Should relish any moisture. Beaten fave in last. Jeremiah Englehart’s a solid conditioner who has run into a drought. This just might be the horse. Class wise, yes! Trainer Englehart does very well with horses going from MSW to Maiden-Claimers. He also excels with horses donning blinkers for the first time.. A decent four-panel breeze in preparation for this start. Others: :1: , :10: , :9:

Race Five:

In this n2L claiming route I’m casting my lot with :2: Spearhead. This Antonio Muiccio-owned, Linda Rice-trained and Cornelio Velasquez-ridden (I believe that covers all the bases) 5 year-old chestnut horse appears to hold a class edge over most of these. This Speightstown-bred should enjoy any residual moisture. The aforementioned Speightstown and Gone West are wet-track sires. The Dam’s side looks to be more turf oriented. I must say (I’ve mentioned it many times) that I like the turf-to-dirt angle. This horse should handle the distance; yet I must say that stamina could be a factor. Cornelio must carefully ration out this horse’s speed. This Indian Ridge-bred has hit the tote in both his route starts. His only lifetime win came on a sloppy track, albeit at 6 and ˝ panels. Others: :9: , :5: , :6:

Race Six:

:2: Nabeelah stretches out here. That could make all the difference in the world. Her pedigree says both distance and wet-track preference, e.g., A. P. Indy. In her last, as “the chalk,” the filly stumbled badly at the start and lost any shot of winning in a large-field sprint. I’m willing to give her another chance. As cited, I like the stretch out; it will give this filly a chance to get her act together. Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin switches to Cornelio Velasquez. KIaran adds blinkers. Second-time Lasix. Only concern: No published works since last race about a month ago. Others: :10: , :4: , :9:

Race Seven:

:2: Integrity is my pick in this 25k claiming route. This Danzig-bred horse threw in a “clunker” last time in optional claiming company. He’s now back in with the kind he can handle. Prior to his poor performance in his last, this Unbridled Song’s-bred horse won two-straight against better claiming types. Trainer Danny Gargan does very well with horses: second off a claim. My only concern is the slight added stretch. This horse will certainly benefit from any moisture. Aaron Gryder is in the irons. Others: :3: , :4: , :1:

Race Eight:

In the Lost In The Fog Stakes, my pick is: :7: King Kranz. This 3 year-old has hit the tote in his last four. Any slight improvement… Yet, his trainer, John Terrannova II, must “get off the schneid”. This would be the perfect opportunity. This colt’s breeding says he should move up on a wet track. Yet, this colt has been “a money-burner”; he’s failed as the favorite in his last three. Cornelio Velasquez reprises the ride. Trainer Terrannova adds blinkers. Others: :4: , :2: , :5:

Race Nine:

In the finale, a six-panel claiming sprint, n2L, I like :10: Pocketfullofgreen. This Maimonides-bred filly should benefit from his outside post. Also, the switch to “The King of Philadelphia,” Liston, Louisiana’s Kendrick Carmouche. Danny Gargan trains. He does well with claiming races. The class drop should help. Others: :9: , :8: , :7: