PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: December 31, 2015

Teach
12-31-2015, 08:06 AM
I want to wish everyone a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year!

Race One:

:6: Tommaso is owned by the Bond Racing Stable and is trained by Jim Bond. This Raffie’s Majesty-bred gelding had a troubled trip in his last. This soon-to-be 4 year-old gelding was slightly squeezed and herded at the start of his last, a race two weeks back on December 16. In that one, this Cormorant-bred was in contention as the horses moved into the stretch when, inexplicably, the lead horse, Dark Moon (he was disqualified), piloted by apprentice Harry Hernandez, took a sharp, right oblique, veered in, and nearly wiped out Eric Cancel aboard Tommaso. Tommaso finished a game fourth; he was placed third through disqualification. Anything resembling a cleaner trip and this gelding, as Marlon Brando would say in “On The Waterfront,” becomes “a contendah”. Jockey Cancel reprises the ride for trainer Bond. Others: :1a: , :4: , :7:

Race Two:

:6: Miss Rickles is my out-on-a-limb, longshot try. The veteran Mike Luzzi in the irons. Luzzi, as you might know, was seriously injured at “The Big A” a little over a year ago when a horse fell on him. Yet, this veteran rider still has the skills and experience to guide this Distorted Humor-bred chestnut filly into Aqueduct’s winner’s circle. Luzzi, by the way, has more than 3,400 career wins. I believe this Medaglia d’Oro-bred moves up on a wet track. One thing’s for certain, this filly has faced better. The capable Bruce Brown trains. Others: :3: , :5: , :7:

Race Three:

:9: Bustin the Bank, a Bustin Stones-bred gelding, is my choice in this maiden-claiming New York State-bred route. This City Zip-bred finished second as the 9-to-5 favorite in his last on December 11 against similar. Jockey Manny Franco (could this be his "red-letter" day) will need to get this gelding into position early as that first turn comes up very quickly. Trainer David Donk is having a good meet; Donk does reasonably well with horses entered in maiden-claiming races. This gelding has hit the tote in five out of nine lifetime pari-mutuel races. Others: :3: , :4: , :5:

Race Four:

:6: Mister Popsicle narrowly finished second against somewhat weaker in his last. The rider change to one of NYRA’s top jockeys, Irad Ortiz, Jr., is huge. This Brother Derek-bred does have a habit of hitting the tote, yet not getting his picture taken. I believe all that can be remedied today. This gelding moves up on a wet surface; he’s finished first and third in two wet-track tries. Trainer Abby Adsit – frankly, not having a particularly stellar meet – has a solid chance of joining “the connections” in the “Big A” winner’s circle. This gelding has won twice and finished second three times at this six-panels distance. Others: :1: , :8: , :4:

Race Five:

In this MSW mile for New York State-breds, my selection is :6: Ranger’s Express. This Danzig-bred grey filly is going from turf to dirt; it’s an angle that I like. This U.S. Ranger-bred has done very well when she’s tried the wet-track main. She finished second twice in main-track routes at both Belmont and Saratoga. Junior Alvarado is in the irons for trainer Bob Barbara. I might mention that trainer Barbara is adding first-time blinkers. It should be noted that Barbara is winless when adding blinkers, albeit with a limited sample. Others: :4: , :1: , :7:

Race Six:

:3: Irish Whisper is my choice in this New York State-bred claiming sprint. This Langfuhr-bred won his last easily against similar company about a month ago. There’s no reason to believe he can’t repeat. Jose Ortiz rides for trainer Tom Morley. In a limited sample, trainer Morley does well with claim repeaters. A wet track would most certainly help this City Zip-bred mare. One note of caution: I would have liked to have seen a published work; yet I believe this mare still has a solid chance of winning. Others: :6: , :5: , :4:

Race Seven:

In this OC sprint I’m going to take a shot with a medium-longshot, :3: One Sided. I must profess that every time I see Todd Pletcher listed as the trainer, it does catch my attention. This Elusive Quality-bred is a consistent sort who’s turning back a couple panels. I believe the shorter distance will help. Any moisture would be appreciated. Manny Franco is in the irons. A couple of decent works indicates that this Forest Wildcat-bred should be ready. Others: :11: , :10: , :1:

Race Eight:

In this Alex Robb non-graded stakes route, I’m going with the rail horse, :1: Empire Dreams. This A.P. Indy-bred narrowly finished third, as the favorite, a month ago in the New York Stallion Series. This Thunder Gulch-bred now stretches out more than one panel; that should be a plus. Manny Franco reprises the ride for trainer Tom Albertrani. Albertrani does well with both beaten favorites and sprint to routes. Others: :3: , :5: , :6:

Race Nine:

In the finale, a claiming route, I’m going with :9: Finn’s Quest. This Giant’s Causeway-bred does very well on wet tracks (two seconds and two thirds in four tries). In his last race back on December 12, this horse finished a closing third against better. Irad Ortiz reprises the ride for trainer Abby Adsit. Trainer Adsit does well with second after a claim. Others: :7: , :5: , :1:

paddy79
12-31-2015, 11:39 PM
always enjoy your write ups teach

2 solid winners. good stuff. it was a very tricky day