PDA

View Full Version : Real life big shorter on the future...

_______
12-30-2015, 10:49 AM
Michael Burry, the real life Cassandra portrayed by Christian Bale in the film version of "The Big Short" interviewed by New York magazine:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/12/big-short-genius-says-another-crisis-is-coming.html

I haven't seen the film yet but he was the main focus of the book and a guy I wish I had heard of before 2006. It's not an optimistic read.

PICSIX
01-06-2016, 07:29 AM
Wow, the Fed's balance sheet is leveraged 77 to 1....we are in trouble economically :ThmbDown:

reckless
01-07-2016, 12:29 PM
I believe that Burry was the guy who was interviewed by CNBC live on the floor of the stock exchange with the president of the NYSE.

In that live interview, Burry said in a clear and cogent manner that the stock market is rigged and fixed and a disaster is imminent. He added that NYSE was aware of the abuse and wouldn't do anything about it.

The NYSE president said that it wasn't true and that the NYSE has safeguards against all that, yada... yada... yada.

The NYSE president resigned not too long after that.

Saratoga_Mike
01-07-2016, 12:37 PM
I believe that Burry was the guy who was interviewed by CNBC live on the floor of the stock exchange with the president of the NYSE.

In that live interview, Burry said in a clear and cogent manner that the stock market is rigged and fixed and a disaster is imminent. He added that NYSE was aware of the abuse and wouldn't do anything about it.

The NYSE president said that it wasn't true and that the NYSE has safeguards against all that, yada... yada... yada.

The NYSE president resigned not too long after that.

That may have been Michael Lewis, the author of the Big Short. It could have been Burry, too (but I know Lewis made similar comments). If you haven't read The Big Short, go buy it --- money back guarantee.

reckless
01-07-2016, 12:39 PM
That may have been Michael Lewis, the author of the Big Short. It could have been Burry, too (but I know Lewis made similar comments). If you haven't read The Big Short, go buy it --- money back guarantee.

Thanks Mike...I might even do a twofer ... buy the book and see the movie!

Saratoga_Mike
01-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks Mike...I might even do a twofer ... buy the book and see the movie!

I haven't seen the movie, but the book is great. Few tell a story better than Michael Lewis.

_______
01-07-2016, 02:57 PM

I think you're right. Lewis was on CNBC debating someone from BATS after his last book, Flashboys. The guy from BATS didn't resign but did have to walk back some of what he said during the exchange.

Burry is pretty press shy. I don't believe he does interviews. The one published here was him answering questions via email.

_______
01-07-2016, 03:02 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but the book is great. Few tell a story better than Michael Lewis.

Ditto on Lewis. If he wrote a book on the history of dirt, I'd be a buyer. But he really is one of the best most readable authors on finance.

Saratoga_Mike
01-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Ditto on Lewis. If he wrote a book on the history of dirt, I'd be a buyer. But he really is one of the best most readable authors on finance.

Completely agree, except his book on the European (heavy focus on Greece) financial crisis, it was a rare disappointment. I suspect publishers put him on a deadline for that one, which really hurt the end product. That aside, I still think he's a tremendous talent.