PDA

View Full Version : Goodwood Racecourse in the UK

jdhanover
12-29-2015, 12:41 AM
Targeting that as my next track to visit as we will be in the UK when it is running (few months from now). Anyone ever been?

Looks like a 1 hour 40 min train ride from London. But then a bus (?) or cab from the train station to the track. Are there cabs to get back at the end of the racing day?

If anyone has been there and can share a bit of the details, I'd appreciate it.

This will be track #56 on my list of tracks visited in my lifetime....

bdownes
12-29-2015, 01:08 AM
Incredible track. I came in a car. Supposedly, there is a direct bus from the train station in Chichester.

The scenery at Goodwood is incredible. I have gone to Ascot, Goodwood, Newmarket, Royal Windsor, Sandown, and Kempton. Goodwood is right up there with Ascot IMHO for race day experience. Goodwood is more of an outdoorsy racing venue. Just go to the Goodwood website and check out the different enclosures. Bring binos. The horses in the longer races are quite a bit away til they hit the stretch.

biggestal99
12-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Not sure if you can hold out til July 26th but the Glorious Goodwood meet
is worth the wait.

https://www.goodwood.com/horse-racing/glorious-goodwood/glorious-goodwood-home.aspx#fUhYdUmmm4569fSl.97

also on my UK bucket list.

Allan

jdhanover
12-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Will be there in May...hoping for good weather that day.

Appreciate the info

Will have my daughter get train/bus details (she will be in London next semester)

Thx all !!

jdhanover
12-29-2015, 02:30 PM
One more q - do I need to buy a ticket in advance (just looking for the casual 'grandstand' area, nothing fancy)?

Scanman
12-29-2015, 11:28 PM
bdownes summed it up pretty well. Spectacular racecourse!!! The most scenic I've ever been to (having attended 300+, that's a pretty high endorsement). I attended a September meeting and caught a gorgeous day, which enhanced the views of the racecourse even more.

Getting to the racecourse; if you can, rent a car and drive down from London. It's a nice drive, but a little tricky to find; definitely off the beaten path. If you use public transport, you will want train service to Chichester (5 miles away). Contact the racecourse in advance, and they will advise you as to bus/taxi service. On raceday, they may have a courtesy bus running.

Don't know what your raceday experience entails, but more recently I arrive early (2 hrs before the first post) and make arrangements/try to get permission to walk the racecourse. I wasn't doing this when I visited Goodwood, but if/when I return, I will.

Don't know how popular the May festival is, but you may want to book your ticket in advance. Also, Saturday is more expensive than Thursday and Friday. The Richmond enclosure is only 8 quid more, so I'd go that route. Probably will be a one and done visit, so I wouldn't skimp on the admission cost. If time permits, I would recommend visiting Lingfield Park on Thursday and Goodwood on Friday. Lingfield is another beautiful parkland racecourse and is rail accessible.

As long as the weather cooperates, you'll have a fantastic day out. If you have any other questions, send me a PM.

Scanman
12-29-2015, 11:55 PM
Additionally, you may find the following links useful:

http://www.ors-racing.co.uk/Goodwood.html .
http://www.ors-racing.co.uk/Lingfield.html .

Be sure to look at the full reviews.

biggestal99
12-30-2015, 05:40 AM
bdownes summed it up pretty well. Spectacular racecourse!!! The most scenic I've ever been to (having attended 300+, that's a pretty high endorsement). I attended a September meeting and caught a gorgeous day, which enhanced the views of the racecourse even more.

Getting to the racecourse; if you can, rent a car and drive down from London. It's a nice drive, but a little tricky to find; definitely off the beaten path. If you use public transport, you will want train service to Chichester (5 miles away). Contact the racecourse in advance, and they will advise you as to bus/taxi service. On raceday, they may have a courtesy bus running.

Don't know what your raceday experience entails, but more recently I arrive early (2 hrs before the first post) and make arrangements/try to get permission to walk the racecourse. I wasn't doing this when I visited Goodwood, but if/when I return, I will.

Don't know how popular the May festival is, but you may want to book your ticket in advance. Also, Saturday is more expensive than Thursday and Friday. The Richmond enclosure is only 8 quid more, so I'd go that route. Probably will be a one and done visit, so I wouldn't skimp on the admission cost. If time permits, I would recommend visiting Lingfield Park on Thursday and Goodwood on Friday. Lingfield is another beautiful parkland racecourse and is rail accessible.

As long as the weather cooperates, you'll have a fantastic day out. If you have any other questions, send me a PM.

Walking the course is a great experince, i've walked Newmarket and Windsor.

Allan

Scanman
12-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Walking the course is a great experince, i've walked Newmarket and Windsor.

AllanThe course walk adds so much more to the racing experience. The more diverse, the more enjoyable. I bet Windsor was particularly interesting. Here's a couple of pictures of Sedgefield. You could never get this perspective without walking the course: http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/SEDGEFIELD-16_zpsjhlmwqwx.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/tmiscannon/media/SEDGEFIELD-16_zpsjhlmwqwx.jpg.html) Looking down the backstretch. http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o741/tmiscannon/SEDGEFIELD-21_zpsm8tk5a8w.jpg (http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/tmiscannon/media/SEDGEFIELD-21_zpsm8tk5a8w.jpg.html)
The view as they turn for home.

ultracapper
12-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Those pictures are awesome. What a beautiful racing venue. Thanks for putting those up. I look at pictures like those and it makes me believe there will always be horse racing somewhere. How could people allow entertainment opportunities like that go away? I would think a day at the races at a place like that would be something you'd remember for the rest of your days.

chiguy
12-30-2015, 02:15 PM
A course walk is a must. I have walked Epsom, Chantilly, Galway and Longchamp. I used to take my uncle's dog for walks on Epsom Downs every evening when I spend a couple of summers in England. These courses and the countryside they reside in are simply spectacular. :ThmbUp:

Scanman
12-30-2015, 04:51 PM
Those pictures are awesome. What a beautiful racing venue. Thanks for putting those up. I look at pictures like those and it makes me believe there will always be horse racing somewhere. How could people allow entertainment opportunities like that go away? I would think a day at the races at a place like that would be something you'd remember for the rest of your days.ultracapper - My pleasure. Glad that I now take pictures during my track visits. You can see how beautiful Sedgefield is, and in the UK, it's considered a bottom tier racecourse. So you can imagine how exceptional their top tier tracks are.

jdhanover - Goodwood is definitely one of those "exceptional" racecourses. With the hope of great weather, you will have a day (as ultracapper says), you will remember the rest of your days.

Scanman
12-30-2015, 04:57 PM
A course walk is a must. I have walked Epsom, Chantilly, Galway and Longchamp. I used to take my uncle's dog for walks on Epsom Downs every evening when I spend a couple of summers in England. These courses and the countryside they reside in are simply spectacular. :ThmbUp:Great to see another endorsement for "walking the course". Having been to all four that you mentioned, I can say that you've walked four of the best in the world. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

jdhanover
12-30-2015, 05:48 PM
wow!! great info Scanman.

Is there a dress code for the Richmond enclosure?

Thx again for all the info.... and the pix are great!

Scanman
12-30-2015, 05:58 PM
wow!! great info Scanman.

Is there a dress code for the Richmond enclosure?

Thx again for all the info.... and the pix are great!My pleasure. Yes. It is as follows:

Goodwood Dress code

Richmond Enclosure
At all race meetings in the Richmond Enclosure, gentlemen are required to wear jackets and ties, cravats or polo-neck sweaters. For the traditional, linen suits, waistcoats (with jackets) and the archetypal ‘Goodwood’ Panama hat can be worn, as popularised by King Edward VII in the early 20th Century.

Ladies should also dress smartly and are encouraged to wear hats at the Festival Meeting. Jeans and shorts are not permitted at any meeting, for men or women.

Other Enclosures
Informal dress is permitted in the Gordon and Lennox Enclosures. Bare chests and fancy dress are not allowed in any Enclosure and stiletto heels are not recommended, due to the Goodwood terrain and areas of decking.

Here is their link to the Enclosures Guide: https://www.goodwood.com/horse-racing/the-enclosures/enclosures.aspx#KyJAzhVRxlwZ4jsq.97 .

You wouldn't lose much attending in the Gordon Encloseure, if the coat and tie is an issue.

jdhanover
12-30-2015, 06:04 PM
My pleasure. Yes. It is as follows:

Goodwood Dress code

Richmond Enclosure
At all race meetings in the Richmond Enclosure, gentlemen are required to wear jackets and ties, cravats or polo-neck sweaters. For the traditional, linen suits, waistcoats (with jackets) and the archetypal ‘Goodwood’ Panama hat can be worn, as popularised by King Edward VII in the early 20th Century.

Ladies should also dress smartly and are encouraged to wear hats at the Festival Meeting. Jeans and shorts are not permitted at any meeting, for men or women.

Other Enclosures
Informal dress is permitted in the Gordon and Lennox Enclosures. Bare chests and fancy dress are not allowed in any Enclosure and stiletto heels are not recommended, due to the Goodwood terrain and areas of decking.

Here is their link to the Enclosures Guide: https://www.goodwood.com/horse-racing/the-enclosures/enclosures.aspx#KyJAzhVRxlwZ4jsq.97 .

You wouldn't lose much attending in the Gordon Encloseure, if the coat and tie is an issue.

Thought so. I wont be bringing a jacket on the trip. Is gordon or Lennox better in your opinion?

Scanman
12-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Gordon

jdhanover
01-01-2016, 10:55 PM
thanks!