PDA

View Full Version : Running Styles

JimL
04-20-2001, 12:36 PM
Most of my losing bets are a result of a sustained runner going to the front and never looking back. I have seen some of these races go in 45 109.4! My question is can a trainer change a horses behavior pattern?

bdhsheets
04-20-2001, 01:42 PM
The answer undoubtedly is yes!

It's called a tongue strap, the most powerful equipment
change there is! They won't announce who is adding/removing a tongue strap because there are no rules governing the use of them.

If you have the patience to be on track everyday (you can't do it from the OTB or attempt this on simulcast races) and take copious notes on each hoss, you'll hit some really nice prices with those adding t/s and avoiding those that have removed them will save you money as the trainer goes back to muddy a horses PP's
to strike again in a few races.

Regards,

bdhsheets

baravot
04-20-2001, 06:19 PM
Hey bshsheets,

Would you please explain exactly why a tongue strap has that effect ?

Thanks

bdhsheets
04-21-2001, 03:01 AM
1. Have you ever heard the term "spit out the bit"? Well many horses try to do just that. They get so involved with the bit, trying to manuever their tongue over it, that they lose concentration to the task at hand, racing.

2. Horses have very long tongues and on occassion, they inadvertantly wind up trying to swallow it during the course of the race. It seems weird, but it happens more often than you might imagine. Adding the tongue tie prevents this stuff from happening, tho they still might try to mess with the t/s.

It sounds like a gigantic load of horsedung, but I speaketh the truth.

Regards,

bdhsheets

Larry Hamilton
04-21-2001, 08:42 AM
Wonder how far Michael Jordan could have gone with this device--hell, he might have been a good center fielder and wide receiver.

Dave Schwartz
04-21-2001, 09:53 AM
Larry,

LOL - Seems like it would have done even more for an athlete that talks too much.

Seriously, I thought that the major issue of a tongue tie was keeping the airway open.

Tom
04-21-2001, 10:21 AM
This is interesting.

I have heard that horses have trouble with bits and that this stops them cold, but how can the use of a tie change the horse's basic behavior, ie, would a tounge tie put early speed into a plodder?
Anohter question on equipment, what is going on with the nasal strips> this started out like it was the modified buggy in harness racing a few years ago and now you never hear about it.

Tom

so.cal.fan
04-21-2001, 12:43 PM
JimL
Are these S winners dropping in class?
I have found that horses change their running styles if they outclass the field.
Even if they have never run that fast early, they will, it they are against easier company.

JimL
04-22-2001, 01:25 PM
Most of the horses I am talking about were dropping in class however they were not dropping to a new lower level. The 45 109 I am talking about were run on eastern tracks which is considered fast when compared to California. It is simply beyond me when a sustained horse with three Quirin speed points can outrun confirmed eight point speed balls to the first call! Tongue Ties ???

dogkatcher
04-22-2001, 04:35 PM
Amazing as it may seem, I recall Silky Sullivan going wire to wire in a 6 furlong race up in Northern California. They must have tied his tongue to his scrotum that day.
Or perhaps he just outclassed them a little

Dave Schwartz
04-22-2001, 11:05 PM
DogKatcher,

Now THAT'S funny.

Maybe the tied it to the Jockey's equipment.