PDA

View Full Version : 44,000 at Santa Anita today

dilanesp
12-27-2015, 12:15 AM
They still can draw a crowd on the big days.

thespaah
12-27-2015, 12:25 AM
On track handle $3.5 million( $78 per capita) not exactly betting with both fists, but a good number just the same.
all sources handle was a nose over $17 million.. Pretty darned good....
I also like the card. SA management stayed the course and carded 9 races. That's enough.

Track Phantom
12-27-2015, 03:14 AM
It proves one thing. The US horse racing community would prosper with less racing. Put a couple of dark days out there and the enthusiasm and excitement for the game is enhanced. It also doesn't hurt when the races are deep, competitive and interesting.

All things being equal, I didn't think I'd see the day when a US track would draw 44,000 people on a day that wasn't buoyed by the BC or Triple Crown.

ultracapper
12-27-2015, 04:31 AM
On track handle $3.5 million( $78 per capita) not exactly betting with both fists, but a good number just the same.
all sources handle was a nose over $17 million.. Pretty darned good....
I also like the card. SA management stayed the course and carded 9 races. That's enough.

Interesting to know how many of those 44,000 were of legal betting age. There are so many kids at the track nowadays, it totally skews the "per capita" calculations. At Emerald Downs, they make the kids go around the turnstiles, but EmD doesn't release attendance figures either. They keep count of betting age paid customers strictly for statistical purposes.

barahona44
12-27-2015, 08:13 AM
Interesting to know how many of those 44,000 were of legal betting age. There are so many kids at the track nowadays, it totally skews the "per capita" calculations. At Emerald Downs, they make the kids go around the turnstiles, but EmD doesn't release attendance figures either. They keep count of betting age paid customers strictly for statistical purposes.
Nothing wrong with kids at the track,future race fans!

lamboguy
12-27-2015, 09:01 AM
It proves one thing. The US horse racing community would prosper with less racing. Put a couple of dark days out there and the enthusiasm and excitement for the game is enhanced. It also doesn't hurt when the races are deep, competitive and interesting.

All things being equal, I didn't think I'd see the day when a US track would draw 44,000 people on a day that wasn't buoyed by the BC or Triple Crown.the land that Santa Anita sits on is worth about $2 billion. on their best years Santa Anita makes about $3 million. that is with the admission's, parking, programs and various stands throughout the track. how can that possibly be such a great deal for the track?

acorn54
12-27-2015, 09:24 AM
lambo you just had to bring reality into this thread didn't you lol

ultracapper
12-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Nothing wrong with kids at the track,future race fans!

I'm fine with it, but it does misrepresent the gambling attendance, and therefore the per person handle.

Dave Schwartz
12-27-2015, 01:38 PM
44,000 at Santa Anita today

Had breakfast with a friend today who, like my wife, grew up in the Pasadena area.

Although neither Beth or the friend are horse racing fans, they both talked about how (when they were growing up) the day after Christmas always meant a trip to the track.

LOL - Of course, growing up in Pasadena also meant learning to drive in the Santa Anita parking lot.