PDA

View Full Version : Warm Up the Cruise Missiles

JustRalph
06-18-2004, 10:56 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,123081,00.html
Go to the link and check out the photos

Can you imagine the same minds that beheaded that guy today.....having Nukes.........?

Images Show Iran May Be Hiding Nuke Plants
Friday, June 18, 2004
By Liza Porteus

Fox News Exclusive

One site at Natanz appears to show a hidden uranium enrichment plant, possibly surrounded by defense fortifications capable of thwarting an attack. The other site, Arak, is a heavy water facility used to make plutonium.

The two sites together could be capable of building atomic bombs. "You have to conclude this is not part of an energy program, this is part of a weapons program," John Pike, the founder of Globalsecurity.org , told Fox News.

Iran — one of three nations President Bush labeled as part of an "axis of evil" in 2003 — has come under heavy criticism by the international community for not doing away completely with its nuclear program, which has been under investigation for nearly two decades.

Iranian leaders argue that the nation is enriching the uranium in order to produce nuclear power; the United States says the program is a front for developing atomic weapons. Enrichment can be used to produce power or bombs.

The U.N. nuclear watchdog is investigating the photos. The U.S. intelligence community also has the images.

Before and After in Iran Images

The pictures of the Natanz facility — taken on Sept. 20, 2002 and Feb. 29, 2004 — show that Iran has been trying to cover up the compound, Pike said.

"We're really quite amazed at what we were seeing in this imagery and we're also quite amazed at what we're not seeing," Pike said.

Remarking on the most recent image, Pike said, "we don't see much of anything after all, it's basically just a big empty field, but if we had looked at it earlier, we can see this is their primary, their main enrichment facility."

The 2002 images show buildings under construction. But in the 2004 images, "you can see that they completely covered it up with a thick layer of dirt," Pike noted, perhaps to make it difficult to see it and harder for precision-guided munitions to target the underground facility.

A thick network of what could be fighting positions also encircle the plant, according to Pike's interpretation of the images.

"Possibly they would be fighting positions in case a commando raid was launched against this facility," Pike said. "It really looks like the Iranians have a fear someone is going to try to destroy this building before it can make bombs."

Alireza Jafarzadeh, a Fox News foreign affairs analyst, exposed the two sites on Aug. 14, 2002, after obtaining information from Iranian opposition forces with access to the regime.

Construction of buildings at Natanz began in 2000, he told Foxnews.com. There are two major parts, one of which consists of about six white buildings while three more in the images are under construction. In those three buildings are two large underground hallways.

It's in those hallways — one of which is about 32,000 square meters in size, the other is close to 8,000 square meters — Jafarzadeh said, where centrifuge machines are to be lined up.

"Once fully operational, it would have as many 50,000 centrifuge machines lined up there," he said. "These are the main enrichment halls that would produce enriched uranium en masse … once that's fully operational, perhaps just this site in Natanz would be able to produce 15 to 20 bombs a year."

The building is protected by 8-feet thick concrete walls, "primarily to protect it against air strikes," Jafarzadeh noted. Also, the entrance to the main building consists of a U-shaped tunnel.

"This way, even smart bombs cannot sort of glide or crawl into the hall," he said. "That tells me this is definitely built underground for air strike protection."

Photos of the Arak facility show that between Aug. 18, 2001 and Feb. 28, 2004, heavy construction took place at the plutonium-production facility.

"What is significant about this pictures — it shows how rapidly they have actually advanced in the construction of these sites," Jafarzadeh said.

"Because in such a short period of time, they have made big advancements … this facility can be used both for producing low-enrichment uranium, which as Iran claims, is for supporting fuel for nuclear reactors for what they call peaceful purposes and at the same time, it can be used for enriching uranium for weapons grade."

IAEA spokeswoman Melissa Fleming told Fox News that the agency first received allegations that these sites were used for nuclear bomb-making programs in 2002 and they immediately began "intensive" inspections that continue to this day.

"We are in Arak and Natanz quite frequently," she said.

Although the agency still has a number of questions about both sites, they "are both known to us and our investigation is focusing elsewhere right now," she said.

IAEA also has regular access to the scientists that work at both facilities and has visited the Natanz site since Feb. 29, 2004 and found nothing untoward, she said.

"If it had been razed we certainly would know something about it," she said of the site.

U.S.: Iran Denials 'Hollow'

Some experts warned that the satellite images can't be considered a smoking gun quite yet.

"It's clear Iran is trying to deal with the knowledge the IAEA has this two-decade long program," Daryl Kimball, executive director of the Arms Control Association (search), told Fox News on Friday. "I think it's unclear to me from this satellite imagery what's been hidden and what's not been hidden, which makes it all the more important for Iran to cooperate more fully" with weapons inspectors.

"We need to be careful that the pressure does not ratchet up so high that Iran kicks out inspectors" and closes the blinds to the global community about its nuclear activities, Kimball continued.

IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei (search) acknowledged Thursday that he had to revise one part of his report on Iran saying they had not disclosed the purchase of 15 magnets for P-2 centrifuges, when in fact Iran had admitted it in May.

Contrary to interpreting that as proof Iran is coming clean, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said: "It only points out more how hollow Iran's denials and statements have been ... So we're once again left in the situation where we find that Iran has spent months and months and months denying things that were known, months and months trying to pretend that it was not doing things that finally became known and that it finally admitted."

Perhaps even more disconcerting, Boucher notes, is the satellite imagery showing Iran is actually trying to hide its activities.

"That report shows that Iran does have a track record of trying to hide clandestine nuclear activity since — for many years, including a practice of trying to remove equipment and sanitize buildings," Boucher said. "It's deplorable but not surprising that Iran's deception has gone to the extent of bulldozing entire sites to prevent the IAEA from discovering evidence of its nuclear weapons program."

Boucher said satellite images indicate that Iran has completely razed a different facility at Lavizan Shiyan, which the IAEA had not visited. The site first became known when an exiled Iranian opposition group said it was connected to a biological weapons program.

Jafarzadeh told Foxnews.com that at that site is now something called the Center for Readiness and New Defense Technology, which is affiliated to the defense ministry of the Iranian regime.

The center supposedly is part of new special military unit that now overseas all nuclear programs of the regime, separated from the "peaceful" uses of the program and under the control of the military, Jafarzadeh said. It's at this center where P-2 machines — more efficient enrichment devices used in producing the fuel used in nuclear power plants and atomic bombs — are allegedly produced.

A small number of fully assembled P-2 machines were found at one location in Iran earlier this year, U.S. and European officials said. Iran reportedly was looking to import 100,000 magnets, which can be used for 50,000 machines — two magnets for each machine.

"This raises serious concerns and fits a pattern, as I said, that we've seen from Iran of trying to cover up on its activities, including by trying to sanitize locations which the IAEA should be allowed to visit and expect," Boucher said.

PaceAdvantage
06-18-2004, 11:31 PM
All the fantastic efforts by the anti-Bush, anti-Iraq war people are going to allow Iran to succeed in building and using nuclear weapons....I fear.

Simply because this administration will be completely hogtied in the future when it needs to be free to respond to situations like this one.

Suff
06-20-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
All the fantastic efforts by the anti-Bush, anti-Iraq war people are going to allow Iran to succeed in building and using nuclear weapons....I fear.

Simply because this administration will be completely hogtied in the future when it needs to be free to respond to situations like this one.

So we're controlling the agenda?

Kerrys a hawk. I said two weeks ago it was N Word time.

If I was president..

I would park Nuclear Subs off the coast of Saudia Arabia, Pakistan, and even Checnya..and perhaps N. Korea.

I'd give them all 30 days to give me the reasons to not destroy you.

Last week I was dumbfounded that Saudia Arabia allowed 3 of 4 murders to escape..after killing 22 Christains

Now they allow a beheading and by "chance" they catch the guys that did while they were dumping the body? None of this makes sense. Its go time for SA.

And the Bush Admin has made enough miscalculations to strangle themselves... and ultimately are trapped in thier morass.

Secretariat
06-20-2004, 03:58 AM
When Rush enlists to fight Iran, I'm re-enlisting...

ljb
06-20-2004, 07:52 AM
Some of you dudes are overlooking the fact that the Bush administration wasted billions of dollars and hundreds of lives going after Saddam when the real enemy thrives in places like Saudi and Afghanistan and Pakistan. Now this bunch of bozos have us in a mess in Iraq while the real culprits have their way. When will we get a leader in the Whitehouse that knows what the hell is going on? Hopefully next year !
Jr,
Quotes from faux news are not reliable, their bias tends to put a question on everything they report .

Tom
06-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Suff, you old conservative, you LOL
I agree. And to a degree, with Ljb :eek:

It is long past time wasting time on rebuilding Iraq. Destroy the infratstructure and then pull out. That should keep them busy for a few years and out of our hair. Take out Iran NOW before they get too far along. No troop, just missles, bombs, etc.
Never send a troop where a missle can go.
Objective: destroy terror threats
NOT objective: Worry about the camel humpers that get in the way.
This Jihad. They said so. So be it.

PaceAdvantage
06-20-2004, 09:49 PM
So John Kerry is going to go into Saudi Arabia and Pakistan??? Not in a million years....his agenda would be no different than the current administration's when it comes to these two countries.

PaceAdvantage
06-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Suff
Now they allow a beheading and by "chance" they catch the guys that did while they were dumping the body? None of this makes sense. Its go time for SA.

I couldn't agree with you more. Where were these "security agents" a few hours earlier???

schweitz
06-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
I couldn't agree with you more. Where were these "security agents" a few hours earlier???

I read somewhere that the body they found was not Paul Johnson--but that was yesterday---anybody else heard this?

Tom
06-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Anyone do a DNA test on the alleged Al Qeada leader they allegedly killed?
Not that the Saudi's would lie or anything.

Buckeye
06-20-2004, 10:07 PM
No! They would Never do that! ;)

Buckeye
06-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Tom
This Jihad. They said so. So be it.
Pretty much sums it up Tom.

ljb
06-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by PA
So John Kerry is going to go into Saudi Arabia and Pakistan???

Well I sure hope not! You seem to be missing the point here PA. This war is not with a country, this war is with an idea and a group of terroists that support that idea. Invading/bombing countries will do nothing in winning this war. We must use our brains not our brawn. The Bush gang thought we could just go blow up Iraq and everything would be just ducky. Wrong answer, of course that gang has never been accused of being smart. Just a bunch of bullys that thought might makes right.

PaceAdvantage
06-21-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by ljb
Well I sure hope not! You seem to be missing the point here PA.

Oh really? What's to miss? You said it right here:

Some of you dudes are overlooking the fact that the Bush administration wasted billions of dollars and hundreds of lives going after Saddam when the real enemy thrives in places like Saudi and Afghanistan and Pakistan.

What did I miss?

ljb
06-21-2004, 09:37 AM
PA,
Invading countries is not the solution! Hope this is clear enough for you.

PaceAdvantage
06-21-2004, 11:23 AM
So how do we get at the real enemy in SA and Pak? Should we talk dirty to them?

delayjf
06-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Ljb

Can you show me where in the history of mankind has Negotiation and diplomacy actually worked in bringing down a ruthless dictator or stopped a suicidal fanatical movement from its murderous mission??

Perhaps we can recruit Michael Moore as well. And while Alex Baldwin is not busy, send him in as well.:D

ljb
06-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Pa and Delayjf,
You fellows seem to be suffering from Lefty's syndrome. (Narrow mindedness)
I said nothing about talking dirty or negotiating. We shut down khadafi without invading a country costing billions of dollars and hundreds of lives. Open up your eyes fellows their are more ways to convince someone to follow your lead then the cowboys we have running the show now are capable of doing.

JustRalph
06-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by ljb
Pa and Delayjf,
I said nothing about talking dirty or negotiating. We shut down khadafi without invading a country costing billions of dollars and hundreds of lives. Open up your eyes fellows their are more ways to convince someone to follow your lead then the cowboys we have running the show now are capable of doing.

Now that is funny.............you don't think that Khadafi has some memories of that cruise missile with Reagans Name on it? How about the daughter he lost? You don't think he was watching Foxnews and the CNN channel while we rolled over Iraq in 3 days...............yeah........ talking can convince these terrorists to stop.................Neville Chamberlain is screaming out from his grave ...............and you still don't get it..............

ljb
06-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Exactly what I said JR. Thanks for making my point.
From Jr .you don't think that Khadafi has some memories of that cruise missile with Reagans Name on it? How about the daughter he lost?

sq764
06-21-2004, 04:10 PM
I think they are barking up a dangerous tree when they threaten to kill the south Korean hostage..

Those South Koreans are freaking nuts and I wouldn't be shocked to see them say "You know what, f-it.. kill him and we'll drop a nuke on your ass.. Just try us"

Tom
06-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by ljb
Pa and Delayjf,

We did the following to Kadaffy-
1. Missiled his bedroom and killed his family.
2. Scared the bejesus out of him when we pulled that rat SH out of his hole.

And still, he recently tried to committ and assasination.
The only things that worked even somewhat on him were.....FORCE.
Try another. This one for our lightning round-name a cruel, ruthless dictator brough down without violence?
(Jeopardy music is playing....)

Tom
06-21-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by sq764
I think they are barking up a dangerous tree when they threaten to kill the south Korean hostage..

Those South Koreans are freaking nuts and I wouldn't be shocked to see them say "You know what, f-it.. kill him and we'll drop a nuke on your ass.. Just try us"
Eventually theses morons will pass off the wrong guys and they will get nuked to kingdom come. We are not the only ones with the capability to reign hell from above.....but our restraint is the greatest.

Tom
06-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Q-What is the difference between muslem schools and American schools?

A- In American schools, they teach the three R's - readin, 'riting,
'rithmatic.
In muslem schools they teach the three R's, too - raving, ranitng, and rioting.

JustRalph
06-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by sq764

Not sure, but I don't think S. Korea has nukes?

Tom
06-26-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Not sure, but I don't think S. Korea has nukes?

No, they don't *wink, wink*