PDA

View Full Version : If one track ran on Dec 25

Stillriledup
12-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Would they double or triple their handle by moving up one day and carding Dec 26ths card on the 25th?

I know Calder used to race on Dec 25th, anyone have the financials for them on that day? Did they stop because it was a money loser?

Nba had 5 games today which means all their arena workers were working, so working on Dec 25th IS an option if your boss says you're open.

HuggingTheRail
12-25-2015, 09:23 PM
Australia pools here in North America seem higher than normal tonight, but I don't know that for sure...

SuperPickle
12-25-2015, 09:46 PM
Would they double or triple their handle by moving up one day and carding Dec 26ths card on the 25th?

I know Calder used to race on Dec 25th, anyone have the financials for them on that day? Did they stop because it was a money loser?

Nba had 5 games today which means all their arena workers were working, so working on Dec 25th IS an option if your boss says you're open.

None of this is true. First off the NBA put years into owning Christmas. The do a Finals rematch. By comparison racing would have to run a couple Grade Ones.

Also the NBA is something people watch casually while doing holiday stuff. It's not wagering or horse racing.

Calder used to race on Christmas through the 90's. It never was hugely successful. Even Parx stopped racing on Christmas Eve. They used to run a stake.

The reality is everything is just overshadowed by Christmas. The NFL avoids it when it can and they're the biggest show in town. College Football ended doing bowls on it. Hockey passes.

It just won't work.

chenoa
12-25-2015, 09:48 PM
What time the card started and time zone differences would play a big factor on the amount of handle potential.

If and when the day comes the US only has a few major tracks in existence then maybe it would be given some consideration.

chenoa
12-25-2015, 09:51 PM
None of this is true. First off the NBA put years into owning Christmas. The do a Finals rematch. By comparison racing would have to run a couple Grade Ones.

Also the NBA is something people watch casually while doing holiday stuff. It's not wagering or horse racing.

Calder used to race on Christmas through the 90's. It never was hugely successful. Even Parx stopped racing on Christmas Eve. They used to run a stake.

The reality is everything is just overshadowed by Christmas. The NFL avoids it when it can and they're the biggest show in town. College Football ended doing bowls on it. Hockey passes.

It just won't work.

Remember when NBA first started there was only 1 game.

What was there today, 5 games? :rolleyes:

Stillriledup
12-25-2015, 10:32 PM

33 pct of the entire league was in action.

SuperPickle
12-25-2015, 10:45 PM

Yes they own the day. Just like the Premiership owns Boxing Day.

So you don't need one track running on Christmas. You need 5-10 all running stakes.

I don't see that happening.

Also let's forget that the reason the NBA started playing on Christmas was they literally couldn't compete with the NFL and CFB in November, December and January. They roots of NBA and Christmas are founded in desperation.

And they took a lot of crap from a whole generation of coaches, fans, and players who didn't want to play on Christmas. Google Stan Van Gundy's thoughts.

It takes a long haul and a lot of commitment to do what the NBA did.

Stillriledup
12-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Yes they own the day. Just like the Premiership owns Boxing Day.

So you don't need one track running on Christmas. You need 5-10 all running stakes.

I don't see that happening.

Also let's forget that the reason the NBA started playing on Christmas was they literally couldn't compete with the NFL and CFB in November, December and January. They roots of NBA and Christmas are founded in desperation.

And they took a lot of crap from a whole generation of coaches, fans, and players who didn't want to play on Christmas. Google Stan Van Gundy's thoughts.

It takes a long haul and a lot of commitment to do what the NBA did.

Good thoughts. They wanted their own 'super bowl Sunday' of sorts and they got it.

I think that one track running wouldn't do as well as a few tracks running, today's modern player is used to fast action and not waiting 25 mins between races, so the 'wait' would hurt handle as players wouldn't want to drop everything to handicap one racecard, but who knows, the only game in town could generate handle.

098poi
12-25-2015, 11:10 PM
SRU Merry Christmas. Even as an intellectual exercise worrying about racing on Christmas is not a good indicator. It is OK that racing takes a day off. You should take a day off from it. Go to a local shelter and adopt a cat or dog and forget racing for a day. It's OK, it really is. Happy New Year. :)

Stillriledup
12-25-2015, 11:25 PM
SRU Merry Christmas. Even as an intellectual exercise worrying about racing on Christmas is not a good indicator. It is OK that racing takes a day off. You should take a day off from it. Go to a local shelter and adopt a cat or dog and forget racing for a day. It's OK, it really is. Happy New Year. :)

Merry X Mas 98 :D

BettinBilly
12-26-2015, 12:16 AM
I will say this, SRU, if a decent track in a nice location (Sunbelt) Raced on December 25 I would seriously consider making it a Christmas Holiday Destination venue for myself. I've said this for years.

If it happened to be in Florida, all the better. I'm all for taking a day off from Racing, and I do take MANY days off during the year. However, if Gulfstream raced December 25, I'd be looking at hotel space around the track for December 23-28.

Yet I respect that employees/Jockeys/Connections need a holiday, so it's problematic at best to hope for something like this.

Stillriledup
12-26-2015, 12:33 AM
I will say this, SRU, if a decent track in a nice location (Sunbelt) Raced on December 25 I would seriously consider making it a Christmas Holiday Destination venue for myself. I've said this for years.

If it happened to be in Florida, all the better. I'm all for taking a day off from Racing, and I do take MANY days off during the year. However, if Gulfstream raced December 25, I'd be looking at hotel space around the track for December 23-28.

Yet I respect that employees/Jockeys/Connections need a holiday, so it's problematic at best to hope for something like this.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop with this stuff but if I was offered double time or time and a half to work a holiday I would be 'first in line to collect'

BettinBilly
12-26-2015, 12:51 AM
Maybe I'm just out of the loop with this stuff but if I was offered double time or time and a half to work a holiday I would be 'first in line to collect'

Hey, I'm with you. I would have no problem working on a holiday, especially for a bonus. But maybe you and I are the exception rather than the norm.

Again, if I found a destination track open on the 25th, I'd probably be there. If a decent track raced on the 25th and it was not a "destination" track for me, I'd most likely be betting it via ADW.

thaskalos
12-26-2015, 12:52 AM

SRU...the racetracks don't want to run during the Super Bowl. Do you seriously expect them to work on Christmas?

yesman3000
12-26-2015, 12:55 AM
yes ! there was French Racing ,Swedish Racing and Australia Racing!

banacek
12-26-2015, 12:59 AM
Scrooge Racing Unlimited Downs (SRU Downs)

Results: December 25, 2015

Race 1 .. 6 furlongs .. 3+..Nonwinners of anything life.

:1: Tiny Tim SCRATCH
:2: Bob Cratchit 5th by 25 lengths
:3: Bah Humbug 2nd by 3 1/2 lengths
:4: He's a Dickens 3rd by 4 lengths
:5: Jacob Marley 4th by 7 lengths
:6: Ebenezeer 1st by 3 1/2 lengths

:6: $2.10 $2.10 $2.10
:3: $2.30 $2.10
:4: $2.50

Total mutuel pool $68
Attendance: 7

Stillriledup
12-26-2015, 01:46 AM
SRU...the racetracks don't want to run during the Super Bowl. Do you seriously expect them to work on Christmas?

I've stopped 'expecting' anything great from them for a while now.

TJC
12-26-2015, 04:20 AM
"The reality is everything is just overshadowed by Christmas. The NFL avoids it when it can and they're the biggest show in town."

Oh Oh...Christmas is on Sunday next year.

EMD4ME
12-26-2015, 04:26 AM
"The reality is everything is just overshadowed by Christmas. The NFL avoids it when it can and they're the biggest show in town."

What happned 6 or 7 years ago when Xmas fell on a Sunday?

Not being sarcastic. Seriously asking.

TJC
12-26-2015, 04:38 AM
I don't remember and really don't care.

I would rather see racing like it was back in the 70's thru 90's.

I remember the Christmas Day Handicap.

EMD4ME
12-26-2015, 04:43 AM
I don't remember and really don't care.

I would rather see racing like it was back in the 70's thru 90's.

I remember the Christmas Day Handicap.

I'm with you and SRU. I think 2 tracks should run. One in FL and one on the west coast. Doesn't have to be SA, could be TP or Sunland.

Stillriledup
12-26-2015, 05:29 AM
I'm with you and SRU. I think 2 tracks should run. One in FL and one on the west coast. Doesn't have to be SA, could be TP or Sunland.

'Gambling facilities' are sensitive when it comes to religion and the zealots who feel that because they need a 'day off' you oughta have one too.

EMD4ME
12-26-2015, 05:33 AM
'Gambling facilities' are sensitive when it comes to religion and the zealots who feel that because they need a 'day off' you oughta have one too.

How many Racinos were open for business on Christmas? What about those employees?

EMD4ME
12-26-2015, 05:35 AM

OFF TOPIC:

I really think you have an army of people working for you. You must never sleep, watch all sports and all tracks all the time.

How the heck do you do it????

Either that or you are PA's brother who is here to boost traffic and action.

(can't wait till PA reads this post :D :D :D )

tanner12oz
12-26-2015, 07:39 AM

every racino in the country was probably open yesterday

djm1959
12-26-2015, 07:57 AM
yep we all are like junkies without a fix at christmas time but its OVERRR now-- UK and east coast races are imminent... we have our fix !!!

santa anita mailibu day too!! here we go :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

098poi
12-26-2015, 09:35 AM
Scrooge Racing Unlimited Downs (SRU Downs)

Results: December 25, 2015

Race 1 .. 6 furlongs .. 3+..Nonwinners of anything life.

:1: Tiny Tim SCRATCH
:2: Bob Cratchit 5th by 25 lengths
:3: Bah Humbug 2nd by 3 1/2 lengths
:4: He's a Dickens 3rd by 4 lengths
:5: Jacob Marley 4th by 7 lengths
:6: Ebenezeer 1st by 3 1/2 lengths

:6: $2.10 $2.10 $2.10
:3: $2.30 $2.10
:4: $2.50

Total mutuel pool $68
Attendance: 7

That's good. (Attendance 7, including the 5 jockeys)

therussmeister
12-26-2015, 10:03 AM
Even Easter Sunday comes up a little light these days with several tracks besides the banned Aqueduct taking that day off.

wisconsin
12-26-2015, 10:57 AM
Even Easter Sunday comes up a little light these days with several tracks besides the banned Aqueduct taking that day off.

It was Palm Sunday that was dark in New York. That will change in 2016.

therussmeister
12-26-2015, 12:11 PM
It was Palm Sunday that was dark in New York. That will change in 2016.
Easter racing was also banned.

macguy
12-26-2015, 03:14 PM
I think one thing to consider would be how many OTBs and racetracks would open so that people could bet on a single racetrack on Christmas day?

All the OTBs around here this year were closed Christmas eve and Christmas Day.

The likely hood of them trying to get a few tellers in to work so that a handful (if that) of bettors can bet on a single racetrack is pretty unlikely. I don't imagine the handle of the few people that would show up would justify paying the tellers time and a half.

There's nothing wrong with some time off every now and then.

cj
12-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Calder did it for years as some have noted, but that was way pre-simulcasting and ADW days. I doubt there would be simulcast locations open, but maybe enough would bet from home to make it worthwhile. I doubt it, though. The percentage from at home bets is most likely too low to make it worthwhile.

EMD4ME
12-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Calder did it for years as some have noted, but that was way pre-simulcasting and ADW days. I doubt there would be simulcast locations open, but maybe enough would bet from home to make it worthwhile. I doubt it, though. The percentage from at home bets is most likely too low to make it worthwhile.

I have no idea, do you know what % of money is bet on line via ADWs VS. On track handle/OTB center handle?

cj
12-26-2015, 03:36 PM
I have no idea, do you know what % of money is bet on line via ADWs VS. On track handle/OTB center handle?

All depends on the track.

thespaah
12-26-2015, 03:44 PM

One game om Christmas Day...Yep.
I was telling my son that back when CBS had the NBA package there was one Christmas Day game...
It usually involved the Knicks or Lakers....Throw in Boston and depending upon which would be the one team that would get the best ratings it was either Detroit for a brief period and of course Chicago when Michael Jordan was in his prime.
CBS always wanted or at least appeared to want either the NY or LA market looking in at the Christmas Day game.
Now as to Christmas Day racing.....Who knows. There may be a slight bump in ADW wagering. I don;t see many people going to the track that day. The evening? That might be a different story.
Heck. There are bars that open Christmas night. Many movie theaters open for later in the day and evening showings.

EMD4ME
12-26-2015, 03:46 PM
All depends on the track.

Of course but I meant overall across all tracks. Or maybe top % VS. lowest % of handle bet via ADW? (highest track and lowest track)

thespaah
12-26-2015, 03:58 PM

Could be a bye week for the entire league then....

thespaah
12-26-2015, 04:07 PM
What happned 6 or 7 years ago when Xmas fell on a Sunday?

Not being sarcastic. Seriously asking.
According to Wikipedia.....If Christmas Day falls on a Sunday, most games are moved to Saturday Christmas Eve with a couple games scheduled late in the day on Christmas Day.
The last time Christmas fell on a Sunday was in 2011. One game was played between Chicago and Green Bay.....The remainder of the schedule was played on Christmas Eve. The Thursday and Monday night games were played on their normal days...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Christmas_games

Tall One
12-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Bernard King scored 60 against the Nets on Christmas night 30 odd years ago.

Those Sunday afternoon CBS games..Sixers/Celts/Lakers/Pistons etc..Dick Stocton, Tommy Heinsohn, Musberger on occasion..good memories growing up.

Stillriledup
12-26-2015, 05:18 PM

Those Sunday afternoon CBS games..Sixers/Celts/Lakers/Pistons etc..Dick Stocton, Tommy Heinsohn, Musberger on occasion..good memories growing up.

Racing fans x mas memories are locked doors and no lights. Nothing to remember.

thespaah
12-26-2015, 08:56 PM
5 games. 10 teams. a third of the teams.

thespaah
12-26-2015, 08:57 PM

Thats when the NBA was a whole lot of fun. The pro game was SOOOOOOOOO much better back then

thespaah
12-26-2015, 10:04 PM
Racing fans x mas memories are locked doors and no lights. Nothing to remember.
Jeez..Its just ONE day.....

Stillriledup
12-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Jeez..Its just ONE day.....

If you are a track why not just stick to being a track and leave the religious birthday celebrations to the experts (churches and other facilities specifically designed for that sorta thing)?

Too much to ask? :D

cj
12-26-2015, 10:57 PM
If you are a track why not just stick to being a track and leave the religious birthday celebrations to the experts (churches and other facilities specifically designed for that sorta thing)?

Too much to ask? :D

As you've been told many times, it was done in the past and wasn't profitable. If it were a money maker, you could bet your bottom dollar there would be tracks open.

porchy44
12-26-2015, 11:01 PM
At least they let the slots on for ya. :bang:

thespaah
12-26-2015, 11:42 PM
As you've been told many times, it was done in the past and wasn't profitable. If it were a money maker, you could bet your bottom dollar there would be tracks open.
BINGO!!! We have a winner....
Thx cj! Oh Merry Christmas....Happy and profitable New Year!....

sharkie187
12-27-2015, 02:13 AM
Australia had larger then usual pools on Christmas Day racing...I was betting on them.

I think the greyhounds might have been running on Christmas Day. I remember seeing the simulcast schedule at a racebook in Laughlin and I think the only wagering action was on the greyhounds. In Mexico, the greyhounds ran at the Caliente Race Track for sure as they do every Christmas Day. But I wouldn't think any ADW or bookmaker would take in those races.
The British bookmakers also took bets on Qatar horse racing on Christmas Day but all online only.

BTW...Super Bowl Sunday, the only betting action I get during the game is Canadian Harness racing, NZ, and Australia.

Stillriledup
12-27-2015, 03:43 AM
Australia had larger then usual pools on Christmas Day racing...I was betting on them.

I think the greyhounds might have been running on Christmas Day. I remember seeing the simulcast schedule at a racebook in Laughlin and I think the only wagering action was on the greyhounds. In Mexico, the greyhounds ran at the Caliente Race Track for sure as they do every Christmas Day. But I wouldn't think any ADW or bookmaker would take in those races.
The British bookmakers also took bets on Qatar horse racing on Christmas Day but all online only.

BTW...Super Bowl Sunday, the only betting action I get during the game is Canadian Harness racing, NZ, and Australia.

Thank you, that's what I thought about the larger pools, I was beginning to think I mighta been wrong for a change.

Redbullsnation
12-28-2015, 03:54 PM
yes ! there was French Racing ,Swedish Racing and Australia Racing!
No pale frances?? :D

That's all I got, I swear :D

Saratoga_Mike
12-28-2015, 04:11 PM
I've stopped 'expecting' anything great from them for a while now.

Why not just quit betting? I think it might be best for you. The tracks NEVER live up to your expectations. Why do you continue betting? Don't you have something else to do with your time?

SuperPickle
12-28-2015, 04:15 PM
Thank you, that's what I thought about the larger pools, I was beginning to think I mighta been wrong for a change.

You are wrong. Australia handling an extra $5 or $10K a race doesn't pave an argument for a track to race. Imagine if they didn't handle more? They were literally up against nothing. If the handle was flat you'd have a pretty solid argument for ending Australia simulcasting.

Also they race at night. Late at night on the east coast. So its total apples and orange versus running live racing in the morning or early afternoon. They race after the holiday is more or less over.

Yes a track could race on Christmas and handle a couple hundred grand. It's not worth it. Hence no one does it. It's been tried.

Saratoga_Mike
12-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Yes a track could race on Christmas and handle a couple hundred grand. It's not worth it. Hence no one does it. It's been tried.

CRC raced on Christmas day in the early to mid-90s. They handled more than a couple hundred grand, but it wasn't great either.