PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Jockeys ..... today are...

no breathalyzer
12-24-2015, 06:21 PM
Castellano
Rosario
Seaz
Geroux
Lezcano
Smith.. when he feels like it..
Desormeaux... when he feels like it

just my opinion.. i can go on and on about jockeys... you can also throw in Ortiz when hes not playing games

EMD4ME
12-24-2015, 07:33 PM
Tied for last....

ALL OF THEM. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RunForTheRoses
12-24-2015, 07:46 PM
Castellano
Rosario
Seaz
Geroux
Lezcano
Smith.. when he feels like it..
Desormeaux... when he feels like it

just my opinion.. i can go on and on about jockeys... you can also throw in Ortiz when hes not playing games

Very East Coast heavy. No love for Bejarano? Talamo? M Guttierez? Smith and Kent D are below them in my opinion.

Really I am much more a trainer guy anyway.

no breathalyzer
12-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Very East Coast heavy. No love for Bejarano? Talamo? M Guttierez? Smith and Kent D are below them in my opinion.

Really I am much more a trainer guy anyway.

You are correct i knew i forgot someone. for a guy with so much talent.. he sure does get last in the shuffle a whole lot.. heck i even forgot to mention him just now.. not 1 breeders cup race this yr?

no breathalyzer
12-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Tied for last....

ALL OF THEM. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

who are your top 5 and bottom NYRA jockeys.. i respect your opinion

Lizzy and Dilly gotta be bottom 5 for sure.. while i think Franco and Double A are very solid and do not get the horse power often... will add Decarlo is solid as well

EMD4ME
12-24-2015, 09:38 PM

Lizzy and Dilly gotta be bottom 5 for sure.. while i think Franco and Double A are very solid and do not get the horse power often... will add Decarlo is solid as well

If you're life was on the line and you had 1 chance to get an awesome ride to save it and had to pick 1....................go commit suicide because.....

Can't trust 1 of them, even when they're trying, they all suck.

I'm sorry, I still compare every single jock to the talents of the 1 and only Rrrrrrrraaaammmooooooooonnnnn Doooooooomingueeeeeeezzzz.

None of these guys/gals could hold the jock strap of the guy who is holding Ramon's jock strap.

Besides that, Merry Xmas/Happy Holidays and most importantly best health wishes to all and their loved ones!

EMD4ME
12-24-2015, 09:51 PM

But if we had to discuss tallest midgets..... (Assuming they are "going today") and we're talking overall (not just the inner track)

Castellano (don't take that as me liking his riding, it's really that thin)
Iherd Ortiz (bully in the room, has the clout amongst his room mates)
No way Ortiz (yup the boys are 2&3...that's how weak the colony is)
JV (if there's no thinking involved and it's a 5F 2 year old race OR any need the leader who is main speed)
Karmouche-like him the most, hope "they" never get to him and he is allowed to show his passion to win.

WORST 5- LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Castellano-extremely over rated. Makes many mistakes for a "superstar" rider.
Iherd-even when he wins a race (and the result shows that he was actually trying to win), you can look back at many of his mounts and say the horse won despite him.
No way Ortiz-same as brother
JV-Tonalist was no monster but he cost him many placings in 2015. Perfect example of why he's completely over rated. Afraid of shadow. If he had a choice he'd ride 7 wide undrafted in every race so that his fear of being trampled is put to rest.

But to be super serious, Taylor Rice has got to be one of the worst riders in a long time. She's better than some excercise scarecrows and does win every Haley's Comet on an inside/outter who gets a perfect trip in a collapse. Other than that, a complete waste of a jockey's license.

If you're talking inner track, I'd take AA and Karmouche over anyone in an honest race. It's so bad on the inner, that I've seen Gryder choke from the 1st stride with a speed horse.

If you count Joel as a NYRA guy, I'd take him over anyone in the room by FAR as 1) he's the most talented and 2) he seems to HATE THE ORTIZ BOYS.

If Ramon was around, none of this crap would be going on. He'd dominate and the little monsters would be eating his leftovers instead of deciding what happens when they feel like it.

ArlJim78
12-24-2015, 10:11 PM
Junior Alvarado would be on my list.

arw629
12-24-2015, 10:11 PM
5. Smith
4. Stevens
3. Irad Ortiz
2. Javiar
1. Florent!

ReplayRandall
12-24-2015, 10:50 PM
Junior Alvarado would be on my list.

Ditto on Junior.....and when healthy, a jock who has won tons for me--->Rajiv Maragh

UnionRags
12-24-2015, 10:56 PM
eric cancel

Tall One
12-25-2015, 12:06 AM
No problems with Manny Franco, Junior, or Angel Arroyo

v j stauffer
12-25-2015, 12:24 AM
No particular order.

John Velasquez

Ryan Moore

Irad Ortiz Jr.

Rafael Bejarano

Javier Castellano

Appy
12-25-2015, 12:42 AM
If I'm betting race my list is much like most of you. BUT if I pick the guy I want riding my horses it would be Smith.

v j stauffer
12-25-2015, 01:51 AM
I wouldn't put him amongst the elite because he doesn't have enough business.

But you know how we all have a guy that seems to do things perfect when we need him most?

That guy for me this past year has been Kendrick Carmouche. :ThmbUp:

NorCalGreg
12-25-2015, 02:04 AM
Theodrick Ledet

Put this guy on your jockey watch--set for auto bet $20 everytime he mounts up.

Check your ADW balance after 30 days....you'll be stunned.

tcasolo
12-25-2015, 09:28 AM
2% win jock?

Stunned because the money ADW balance is gone?

Theodrick Ledet

Nutz and Boltz
12-25-2015, 09:48 AM
They may not be the most "talented", but you can look to them for a price, it would be, not in any particular order,Junior Alvarado, Angel Arroyo, Kendrick Carmouche,Jose Lezcano, Joe Bravo. I also look closely at anything ridden by Florent Geroux, especially on turf. (You can tell by my choices that I am a Long shot player.)

MonmouthParkJoe
12-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Glad to see Bravo get a mention. He will always be one of my favorite, even if i am a little biased. However, he is quietly having one of his best seasons ever.

Ramon "Long and Strong" Dominguez was another favorite of mine, when he left it really affected me.

Irad has already asserted himself in New York. Kendrick "All Day" is another fav of mine, his move to NY is paying dividends for himself and myself.

Johnny V still got it. Van Dyke brings home some decent priced horses. Castellano rides every horse like its a big race, and I respect that.

Paco Lopez is another one. He has a tendency to be over aggressive at times, but with the way some races shape up, its a breath of fresh air.

CC Lopez may have his best days behind him, but give him a horse with any speed and he will get every ounce out of him on the front end.

SandyW
12-25-2015, 11:48 AM
This is my big five day in and day out:

Rosario
Castellano
Paco Lopez
Joe Bravo
John Velasquez

no breathalyzer
12-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Carmouche is very soild, Junior Alvarado under rated as well... i think its safe to say east has the best jockeys by far as a whole.. despite the complaining of lack of gate speed by many .. Vicente Gudiel keep an eye on this bug.. got some serious skills.. moves up horses in his short career

Donttellmeshowme
12-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Theodrick Ledet

You cant be serious. Dont know if he could ride a stick pony..

NorCalGreg
12-25-2015, 01:53 PM
You cant be serious. Dont know if he could ride a stick pony..

LOL....if it was Ledet vs a little kid who got a stick pony today for Christmas....I'd bet the kid.

JayTris07
12-25-2015, 02:18 PM
My list, in order.

Flavien Prat ( Injured but made me a ton of dough this year)

Julien Leparoux ( Most of you will kill me for this one but before his horse jumped the rail and threw him a few years back the man was as good as thee was. Hopefully he gets back there.

Junior Alvarado (Anytime I see him on a 10-1 or higher he's an auto for me)

Luis Saez

Rafael Bejarano

ReplayRandall
12-25-2015, 02:58 PM
Flavien Prat ( Injured but made me a ton of dough this year)

Comes back tomorrow:

Santa Anita - 12/26/2015
Race#
3 Maiden Special Weight - :3: Angel Lane- Mike Puype
4 Daytona Stakes - Gr. 3 - :5: Big Bane- Theory Carla Gaines
9 Allowance Optional Claiming- :13:Tuco (IRE)- Doug O'Neill

JayTris07
12-25-2015, 03:21 PM
Comes back tomorrow:

Santa Anita - 12/26/2015
Race#
3 Maiden Special Weight - :3: Angel Lane- Mike Puype
4 Daytona Stakes - Gr. 3 - :5: Big Bane- Theory Carla Gaines
9 Allowance Optional Claiming- :13:Tuco (IRE)- Doug O'Neill

Thanks RR, Did not realize he was coming back tomorrow. Will download PP's now.

:cool:

theiman
12-25-2015, 03:56 PM
I can only name 2 jocks right now.
K. Desormeaux
F. Perez

Both seem to be what some on this forum call "Stand Up" kind of guys.

EMD4ME
12-25-2015, 03:57 PM
I can only name 2 jocks right now.
K. Desormeaux
F. Perez

Both seem to be what some on this forum call "Stand Up" kind of guys.

:jump: :jump: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chenoa
12-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Other than stake races Smith has been great the last few years on weekends at SA getting the 3/5 or even money shot finishing 3rd or 4th. Better than keying 1st or 2nd I find.

HalvOnHorseracing
12-25-2015, 07:26 PM
I don't factor jockey into my handicapping that heavily. It is one of the last things I look at. The best horses get the best jockeys and vice versa. They get the best horses because they have the best agents, or they work regularly for the top trainers. I'd love to see a statistic on Johnny V in his prime for win% on a Pletcher horse and win% for any other trainer. I would add this.

-- generally it is about 90% horse, 10% jockey, which can mean

-- jockeys are far more likely to lose a race when they have the best horse than they are to win a race with an inferior animal, but 90% of the time you can blame the loss on the horse not the jockey

-- a jockey that has ridden a horse successfully in the past no matter where he is in the standings can be bet confidently if he is on the horse you think is best

-- a switch from a hack to a top jock usually signals good trainer intent

-- on the other hand, a switch to a weak rider is usually a red flag

-- in a particular colony there is little difference in ability between the top five, so focus on the horse

-- there are jockeys with habits and it is good to know that (CC Lopez good gate boy, Chris McCarron hated the rail, Calvin Borel would go through a hole the size of a knothole, Jerry Bailey could draft on the turf without getting his horse in trouble later)

-- if I'm going to like a jockey, I'm going to look for one that has a natural jockey body and doesn't have to act in extremes to stay in top shape and weight. Rafael Bejarano comes to mind.

-- there might have been a couple dozen or more riders who could have ridden American Pharoah to victory in the Belmont and been just as impressive doing it, and you could take any jockey you name, put him on the second best runner, and AP was still winning that race with gusto

Everyone has their own way of weighting the important factors in handicapping. For me, in 40+ years, the jockey hasn't been as critical as some other factors and I've had a lot of successful meets. My first two most critical questions are, how fast can my horse run, and do I think he'll run that fast today? If the answer to the last question is negative, and that isn't fast enough to win, he's a pitch for me regardless of who is up.

I was going to post this closer to the time I'm doing it, but I'll be doing a roundtable with 4-5 good West Coast riders in March and I wanted to solicit questions people would like to see answered. I assume one of them would be, how often does your lousy ride lose the race, although I believe I'd have to work on the wording. I'd appreciate people sending me questions they'd ask jockeys if they had the chance.

Robert Fischer
12-25-2015, 09:37 PM
Irad, Castellano, Saez from the east