PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who buy comma-delimited charts

Marc At DRF
06-18-2004, 03:49 PM
All other things being equal, if you had a choice between purchasing comma-delimited and XML charts, which would you purchase?

Steve 'StatMan'
06-18-2004, 03:57 PM
I'd really love a comma delimited chart file subscription! Especially if it was prices no higher than the Unlimited PP subscription!

Funny, a good chunk of the national chart info is printed in Simulcast Weekly, but it really isn't in a format that I, as a computer-orientated person, can use. Considering how much info. for so little money goes into the Simulcast Weekly, I'd much rather have comma-delimited files instead. The data files are likely less expensive for DRF to provide as well!

Glad you're asking Marc!

Marc At DRF
06-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Right, but comma delimited over XML, yes? Or would you prefer XML?

Steve 'StatMan'
06-18-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm a little weak on terms. Is XML similar to HTML and similar web site pages?

For long term use, I'd love comma-delimited, because I could use them into custom programs. For just viewing quickly, one or two time shot, then I'd need something better visually.

I personally save all the HTML results charts from Equibase. I save the DRF PDF Results charts because it has the Last Race Date and Race information I need for my own programs, still manually typing in the pieces I want, so far.

Let's see what others say on this one.

Charlie Judge
06-18-2004, 06:54 PM
Since all databases and spreadsheets import comma delimited files, I would much prefer comma delimited. You can do bulk imports with no data parsing.

CAJ

MichaelNunamaker
06-18-2004, 08:18 PM
I agree with Charlie Judge. Pretty much everything can import comma delimited data. Very little can painlessly import XML.

But why does it have to be either or? Why can't you have both available?

Mike Nunamaker

GameTheory
06-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Sell comma-delimited files along with a little utility that can convert them to something more easily viewable (HTML, PDF) if needed...

DJofSD
06-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Having written a number of programs to process BRIS files and now a robot using sockets to automatically download results charts (the parser is in the works), I'd vote for comma delimited.

DJofSD

plainolebill
06-19-2004, 02:06 AM
Comma delimited please, and as GT said: a viewer.

NoDayJob
06-19-2004, 04:17 AM
A single file comma delimited format is the easiest way to go.

NDJ

pmd62ndst
06-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Comma-delimited, please.

wes
06-21-2004, 02:30 PM
A single file comma delimited format .

wes

Marc At DRF
06-21-2004, 02:49 PM
thanks guys, appreciate it. I suspected as much.