PDA

View Full Version : New Bet Type Ideas

arw629
12-21-2015, 09:25 PM
I know there are lots of bet types already out there but does anyone have any creative ones that have never been introduced?
I think the grand slam NYRA has is pretty unique but how about some new ideas? I haven't given this much thought but here are some of my ideas on bet types I would play on a regular basis:

Place pick 3,4,5,6....the place pick all bet is cool but shorten it up a bit and I think more ppl would play
Show pick 3,4,5,6 ...why not?
Horizontal quinella bets---obviously making the wager could get messy but it wouldn't be that difficult ...i think it would garner lots of attention and be a very fun bet

Anyone else have any ideas?

olddaddy
12-21-2015, 10:44 PM
I hate blind pools but if there are place pk 3/4/5/6 minimum bet has to be at least a deuce, for show pk 3/4/5/6 it has to be at least 5 bucks.

whodoyoulike
12-21-2015, 11:21 PM
I know there are lots of bet types already out there but does anyone have any creative ones that have never been introduced?
I think the grand slam NYRA has is pretty unique but how about some new ideas? I haven't given this much thought but here are some of my ideas on bet types I would play on a regular basis:

Place pick 3,4,5,6....the place pick all bet is cool but shorten it up a bit and I think more ppl would play
Show pick 3,4,5,6 ...why not?
Horizontal quinella bets---obviously making the wager could get messy but it wouldn't be that difficult ...i think it would garner lots of attention and be a very fun bet

Anyone else have any ideas?

Before I stopped playing the pick type races (I quit before 4 or 5's were offered), Cali offered a place pick 9 bet which were not easy to hit and uncertain if they even still offer them, if not there must have been a reason to discontinue it.

I do like your idea of a quinella pick type of bets (for 3 - 6) because I'd like to see how they would payout.

NY BRED
12-22-2015, 06:10 AM
always thought this would be a great bet

pick horses to finish last (equal to a win bet)

next to last (equal to a place bet)

third from last) (equal to a show bet)

throw in exactas/tri's and superfectas and perhaps pick 3/5/6 and you now have a new dimension to the game.

rastajenk
12-22-2015, 07:38 AM
You want to put this game out of its misery, don't you?

I can think of nothing that would ruin the game quicker than combining efforts to win with efforts to lose.

Or should there have been a /sarc tag on that post? Maybe it was supposed to be funny.

dilanesp
12-22-2015, 03:38 PM
Here are some ideas:

Over-under on Los Al attendance (the under will always be favored).

Horse ambulance dead pool.

Betting line on drug test results (for both horses and jockeys).

Line on which horses' odds will drop after the starting gate opens.

Over and under on number of mistakes the Tampa Bay announcer will make on the call.

PICSIX
12-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Instead of placing your bets with an ADW, race track, bookie, etc. Place them with yourself in a jar. At the end of the year see if your jar is full of money (99% of the time) or IOU's ;)

whodoyoulike
12-22-2015, 05:50 PM

throw in exactas/tri's and superfectas and perhaps pick 3/5/6 and you now have a new dimension to the game.

I haven't seen any of your picks but your suggestion makes me wonder why you would feel this way. It may be just be as difficult and wouldn't the payouts be zilch for all wagers including WPS etc., because where would the payout money come other than possibly from a higher takeout to be distributed only to the bettors?

EMD4ME
12-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Instead of placing your bets with an ADW, race track, bookie, etc. Place them with yourself in a jar. At the end of the year see if your jar is full of money (99% of the time) or IOU's ;)

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Love the innovative thought.

On a seperate note, I long wished to book bets of many lazy irresponsible players LOL.

peteman
12-23-2015, 07:09 AM
I'd like to see the Sha Tin's omni/swinger wager,come to the US.
There are times when a big odds horse,makes sense for minor placing.
and the show pool just does make it.

http://www.twinspires.com/omni-wager-now-available-international-racing

acorn54
12-23-2015, 09:26 AM
never really liked bets other than win. exacta records show a 2-3 percent hit rate for this year and 1/2 my bets are exactas (yes i get suckered into the potential big payoffs). FORTUNATELY this year no harm done.
the problem with your guys ideas is, it takes a far far larger bankroll to start with, to be reasonably safe from risk of ruin.

JohnGalt1
12-23-2015, 04:02 PM
I'd eliminate some bets. I want more bet into the pools I play.

I want bets that churn money so betters, especially new ones, have a better chance to at least tread water.

Besides, most new bets are sucker bets because of extra high take outs.

NorCalGreg
12-23-2015, 04:33 PM

I like PICSIX's idea.....especially if you're honest, no track takeout (only your wife's) :lol:

Track Phantom
12-23-2015, 11:33 PM
I think it would be cool if the ADW would allow you to "hold" a percentage won per day into a separate pot to be paid back at the end of the year, like a savings account of sorts.

I'd love it if on the days I profited, I had, say, 10% withheld off to the side until the end of the year. I would never miss it and would have a pretty big pot of money at the end of the year.

Kind of off subject but I would turn this option on if the ADW had it. It would be advantageous to the ADW as they could hold the money and gain interest on it for the year.

I'm sure there are a dozen reasons this is a bad idea but I'd like it.

NY BRED
12-24-2015, 07:56 AM
You want to put this game out of its misery, don't you?

I can think of nothing that would ruin the game quicker than combining efforts to win with efforts to lose.

Or should there have been a /sarc tag on that post? Maybe it was supposed to be funny.

First, MTH Park will be offering Exchange betting in 2016 which
will make this thought a reality.

Betting a horse to finish last is as difficult as picking a horse to win .
Check charts across the U.S. and you will quickly see I'm correct.

The stock exchange has offered these bets for years and still has
survived.Buying a stock to go long or to go short., puts and calls
(exactas?) makes for an interesting bet in the financial world,
might very well make sense in the racing world.

BTW, exchange betting will allow the fan to bet the race after
the gate opens. Many fans today, have witnessed the late money coming
in in the early part of the race often creating havoc in their betting patterns
which could be offset by Exchange betting.

That said, I'd expect some bumps in the road before this wagering scenario
becomes effective in NJ and NY.

Finally exchange betting includes all sports , uncertain if that
will ever happen in the U.S.

whodoyoulike
12-24-2015, 06:56 PM
I think it would be cool if the ADW would allow you to "hold" a percentage won per day into a separate pot to be paid back at the end of the year, like a savings account of sorts.

I'd love it if on the days I profited, I had, say, 10% withheld off to the side until the end of the year. I would never miss it and would have a pretty big pot of money at the end of the year.

Kind of off subject but I would turn this option on if the ADW had it. It would be advantageous to the ADW as they could hold the money and gain interest on it for the year.

I'm sure there are a dozen reasons this is a bad idea but I'd like it.

If you're talking about a lot of money, I'd be willing to hold it for you. After all, my handle could have been --- WhodoyouTrust.

I'd be better than any stinking bank or ADW. To request funds all I'd require would be minimal i.e., SS#, checking acct and routing # and/or your Debit card # and PIN. The transfer of funds would be swift and seamless.

whodoyoulike
12-24-2015, 07:03 PM
The stock exchange has offered these bets for years and still has
survived.Buying a stock to go long or to go short., puts and calls
(exactas?) makes for an interesting bet in the financial world,
might very well make sense in the racing world. ...

It probably works on the stock exchange is because it's pretty much a one on one bet. One wins and the other loses.

barahona44
12-25-2015, 08:34 AM

I recall reading that this type of bet (finishing last) was tried at a track in the UK back in the late 60's/early 70's and was almost immediately dropped as the jockeys were attempting to indeed finish last,thus screwing up the integrity of the sport..

NY BRED
12-26-2015, 08:27 AM
GIVEN THE ISSUES OF JOCKS ATTEMPTING TO FINISH LAST,
KEEP IN MIND MANY TRAINERS OFTEN USE "TODAY'S" RACE
AS A TIGHTENER FOR A FUTURE RACE.

THAT SAID, SOME TRAINERS WILL TAKE THE WIN , BUT
THESE DYNAMICS EXIST THROUGHOUT THE RACING COMMUNITY.

THE MOST INTRIGUING PART OF EXCHANGE BETTING COULD BE
THE ABILITY TO HEDGE YOUR BET;IE, YOUR WIN PICK BREAKS BADLY FROM THE GATE. MY UNDERSTANDING IS YOU COULD THEN BET AGAINST YOUR
HORSE ON THE WIN END THEREBY TAKING A SMALL LOSS, AS YOU
PAY A COMMISSION TO BETFAIR ON ANY TYPE OF WAGER.