PDA

View Full Version : Full siblings

kinznk
12-21-2015, 12:46 AM
I was curious about full siblings. How often are they bred? It doesn't seem like that often but I am not a breeding expert at all. If they are not, why not. I understand that mares only have one a year. Since American Pharoah looked really good this year why wouldn't the owners of Littleprincessemma try and breed to Pioneerof the Nile again in hopes of the athletic ability to reproduce and hope for a similar temperament.

My last question is what are some, if any, of the most successful full siblings have raced?

nijinski
12-21-2015, 04:42 AM
I was curious about full siblings. How often are they bred? It doesn't seem like that often but I am not a breeding expert at all. If they are not, why not. I understand that mares only have one a year. Since American Pharoah looked really good this year why wouldn't the owners of Littleprincessemma try and breed to Pioneerof the Nile again in hopes of the athletic ability to reproduce and hope for a similar temperament.

My last question is what are some, if any, of the most successful full siblings have raced?

American Pharoah has a full brother born Feb 2015 named Irish Pharoah .
Fulls are naturally often expectied to match their siblings . We wait in anticipation but tough to replicate the exact same traits physically and mentally .
Samantha Nicole is Rachel Alexandra's full sister ..

tanner12oz
12-21-2015, 06:32 AM
Does the full brother, sister angle ever work? They usually bring alot of attention but rarely live up to the hype imo

wisconsin
12-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Serena's Song had a full sister named Serena's Sister and she could not run a lick.

chadk66
12-21-2015, 09:45 AM
It's actually quite rare to have full siblings run equally at a high level. you see it frequently at lower levels because that's where most run anyway.

biggestal99
12-21-2015, 09:53 AM

well if you are breeding to sell ya throw her back to POTN, if you are breeding to race. I'd go with Tapit. :-)

Allan

azeri98
12-21-2015, 10:14 AM
You need lightning to strike to get a great horse, for it to happen twice is very, very rare.

kinznk
12-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the responses. I guess that all the top horses are bred with other top horses so one would have to be lucky to reproduce a sibling.

RacingFan1992
12-21-2015, 05:40 PM
I think halves are better than full. (Secretariat-Champion and The Bride-Dud) Full Siblings. On the other hand (Dr. Fager and Ta Wee-Half Siblings) (Ruffian and Icecapade-Half Siblings)

Tee
12-21-2015, 05:47 PM
Budroyale and Tiznow

Mecke and Beautiful Pleasure

CosmicWon
12-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Life is Sweet and Sweet Catomine are full sisters as are Kauai Katie and Winding Way. Freud (though not a successful runner, is the crack NY sire) & Giant's Causeway are full bros.

Mineshaft and Tomisues Delight (G1W and dam of G1W Mr Sidney) are full siblings and hail from one of the classier US families.

Mares are frequently returned to a stallion if a mating is productive though lightening seldom strikes twice in terms of multiple stakes winning full siblings. Breeders can mix it up by trying for a close-relative of the initial stakes winner, for instance breeding a mare back to Sky Mesa or Tapit (both by Pulpit) if her original good runner was by Pulpit.

For a fun pedigree tongue-twister, check out the pedigrees of Oxbow http://www.pedigreequery.com/oxbow3 and Payter http://www.pedigreequery.com/paynter as they are out of full sisters (who are also full to Tiznow) and by the same sire (Awesome Again, himself a 1/2 to Macho Again)!

WALLENDA
12-21-2015, 06:46 PM
One of the best examples are the offspring of Danehill and the broodmare Hasili.

Banks Hill
Intercontinental
Cacique
Champs Elysees

Four full siblings.. Two of them Breeders Cup winners.. all of them Grade I winners.

The fifth full sibling is Dansili, a stake winner in Europe and the sire of The Fugue, Dank and Flintshire etc.

SuperPickle
12-21-2015, 08:23 PM
Basically breeding back to try and repeat a successful mating is like trying to hit the lottery a second time using the same numbers. It rarely works.

So since the owner owns the mare and rents the sire they switch up that part.

Btw... It's a question asked a lot. If a mating produces a graded stakes winner why not keep repeating.

The other perception is maybe there's an even better pairing so switch it up.