PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Sunday, December 20

Teach
12-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Race One:

:3: Bankers Holiday is a highly-priced (a quarter “millie”), Harlan’s Holiday-bred, 3 year-old colt who was purchased at the Fasig-Tipton for the aforementioned $250k. He’s been “in the hunt” in all three of his pari-mutuel starts, but, alas and alack, this Pulpit-bred has, as yet, failed to “break his maiden”. Yet today could very well be the day. I will say that the accomplished trainer, Tony Dutrow, is not exactly having a stellar meet, albeit with a relatively limited sampling. However, I will opine this in Dutrow’s favor…he’s good in conditioning horses who are making their second route start. This colt is stretching out “a teenth”; that should help. One of NYRA’s top reinsmen, Irad Ortiz, Jr., is in the irons. Others: :7: , :4: , :1:

Race Two:

:2: Ground Control, the Patrick Quick-trainee, is my pick in this 16k claiming sprint. This Awesome Again-bred 4 year-old gelding just missed against better about a month and a half ago. This Deputy Minister-bred should once again be making his late stretch drive. The Panamanian, always among the leaders in wins, nationally, Cornelio Velasquez, is in the irons. Others: :3: , :4: , :5:

Race Three:

In this 150k New York Stallion Stakes series I’m going with the PA-bred, :4: Behrnik’s Bank. This Maria’s Mon-bred 2 year-old filly has demolished her competition in both her Penn National races. In both cases, this filly has won by a Manhattan city-block. Based on those two efforts, I would be hard pressed to find someone else to wager on in this 6-furlong sprint. One caveat emptor: Don’t expect much in return at the windows. As part of a gimmick or Pick-5… Peter Kazamias is this Behrnik-bred’s conditioner. By the way, the Dam, Behrnik, had four winners from four starters, one was a stakes winner. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Others: :5: , :2: , :3:

Race Four:

As the chiasmic saying goes: “When the going gets tough, the tough get going”. And, racing fans, this 40k maiden-claiming sprint is a “toughie”. I can make a case for several horses, but I have narrowed it down to one, :6: Harmony Lass. This Giant’s Causeway-bred chestnut filly has faced better in her only race, a 55k MSW sprint at “the Big A” a little over a month ago. She got the chartist’s first call out, but she quickly faded to last in a five-horse field. In looking at the replay, this filly raced “greenly” throughout the race. At the top of the stretch, jockey Eric Cancel began urging her right-handed only to see his charge veer sharply toward the inner rail. Cancel had all he could do from crashing into the rail; he urgently went to the left hand and straightened her out. But by then… The question remains: Has trainer Tom Albertrani straightened this filly out? If he has… First-time Lasix should help. Irad Ortiz, Jr, in the irons. Others: :1: , :8: , :10:

Race Five:

:4: Wynhurst gets my nod in this lower-level 10k claiming sprint. This lightly-raced Giant’s Causeway-bred, 4 year-old colt, was second in this company as a 7-to-10 favorite. This colt meets no better than he faced last time. The “hot as a petardo,” trainer, Rudy Rodriguez, is this colt’s conditioner. Rodriguez does very well with beaten favorites. One note of caution: the apprentice jockey, Kevin Gomez, needs to “get off the schneid” as he’s winless at the Aqueduct meet. Get the shaving cream ready! Others: :3: , :1: , :2:

Race Six:

Yes, I do wish to contend! My choice: the horse (filly) with the legal Latin name, :2: Nolo Contendere. If the rail is as good as I think it will be (“I’ve Got A Golden Rail…”), I think this Scat Daddy-bred filly should benefit. Yes, this filly has been away from the races for over five months; she last raced in early July at Belmont. Yet, the breeding is there and so are the services of this filly’s connections: jockey Aaron Gryder and trainer Rick Violette, Jr. This filly went off the chalk in her last. I believe she will receive the same attention this afternoon. Others: :1: , :10: , :9:

Race Seven:

I’m giving my lukewarm nod in this wide-open race to the outside horse with the euphonic sounding name, :8: Saharan Serenade. This Wild Desert-bred filly has faced better. She may just benefit from her outside post. The filly’s trainer, John Toscano, Jr., is having a solid meet. One note of caution: the capable Angel Cruz is having a less than stellar Aqueduct meet. Yet, this may be a wake up call. Worth a look. Quite possibly a chance to visit “the Big A’s” winner’s circle. Others: :2: , :5: , :7:

Race Eight:

In this optional claimer, I’m going with Joking. No, seriously, my choice here is the :4: Joking. This Distorted Humor-bred, 6 year-old gelding, was fourth in this company last time. Any slight improvement… Manny Franco, Feliz Compleanos, is in the irons for trainer Charley Baker. Baker does very well with sprints and third off a layoff. A recent-decent work signals readiness. Others: :5: , :1: , :3:

Race Nine:

In the finale, my choice is :13: Sugar Gold. Yes, I know that outside posts are a difficult starting spot for horses entered in routes at Aqueduct. Yet I believe that this gelding can overcome that hindrance. This Touch Gold-bred has faced better. As cited, John Toscano, Jr. is having a solid meet. Angel Cruz is in the irons. Others: :1: , :3: , :7: