PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Wednesday, December 16

Teach
12-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Race One:

The Handicapper’s Handbook: In a race with first-time starters, the horses with experience are king(s)/queens(s).

:3: Steve’s Philly gets my nod in this 2 year-old maiden-claiming sprint. This Tale of the Cat-bred filly finished an improving second at six panels in this company in her last. In watching the replay, she was herded to the outside on the backstretch; yet she began making an impressive run in the stretch to finish a game second to a runaway winner. That race should provide needed experience for this filly and also her jockey, the up-and-coming apprentice, Harry Hernandez. Oh, the half-panel cutback should also help. This Gone West-bred filly has also recorded a decent morning work since her last pari-mutuel effort. One note of caution: this filly’s trainer, Carlos Martin, will need to “get off the schneid” as he is winless at the “Big A”.

Others: :4: , :2: , :6:

Race Two:

:5: Tia Lana is my longshot, upset try in this maiden-claiming n2L sprint. Before I present my racing brief, I’ll mention that a case can be made for nearly every horse entered in this short-field race, with the possible exception of the number-six horse, and I might add, I wouldn’t completely rule her out. First, I believe that Tia Lana should be in a good stalking position. Second, this filly’s jock, Harry Hernandez, is an ever-improving reinsman. Finally, this filly has turned in an array of decent morning works since her last start about two months ago. Her trainer, Bob Barbara, does an excellent job – eight horses in the money out of nine saddled – with a limited number of trainees.

Others: :2: , :4: , :1:

Race Three:

:3: Majestic Affair comes into this race off a fifth-place finish in the non-graded Perryville Stakes at Keeneland. Prior to that this chestnut gelding finished fifth in the Grade III Bayshore. Yet, before that, this 3 year-old was a well-bet winning machine. He won three races and finished second in two others. Liston, LA’s Kendrick Carmouche is back in the irons for trainer Chad Brown. Brown, by the way, is having an excellent meet, second only to Rudy Rodriguez. One note of caution: this gelding has been away from the races for a month and a half; however, his morning works have been very good.

Others: :5: , :2: , :4:

Race Four:

:5: Uncle Duncan appears to be the horse to beat. I say appears because I thought he was “the horse” last time as an 8-to-5 favorite. Yet, over his brief racing career, this gelding has had a distinct case of “equine seconditis”. He’s been “the best man” several times, but he’s yet to “get hitched,” i.e., break his maiden. Is today the day? I believe this well-bred gelding is sitting on a win. Linda Rice is an excellent trainer; she does well in most racing categories. She’s added blinkers to keep this gelding as focused as possible. Her “go-to” rider, Cornelio Velasquez, reprises the ride.

Others: :4: , :6: , :7:

Race Five:

You know what that say, AS: “Brilliant minds think alike!” My choice: :2: Joe Mooch. To paraphrase Shakespeare’s Richard III: “A closer, a closer, my kingdom for a closer”. This gelding is “the closer” in a race laden with early-speed types. “The King of Philadelphia,” Kendrick Carmouche, should be “sittin’ chilly” as he waits for his opportunity to set this Wild Desert-bred gelding in motion. Trainer Bruce Levine is having a solid meet. A recent-decent four-panel work signals readiness.

Others: :1: , :3: , :4:

Race Six:

:2: Riot Worthy is a consistent sort who has been knocking on the door looking for her first pari-mutuel win. This A.P. Indy-bred was last seen perambulating at Aqueduct in late November in a race in which she finished second in this company at six and one-half panels. She now stretches out to a mile and “a teenth”. I believe that added distance of ground will enhance this filly’s chances of winning this state-bred MSW route. The accomplished “bug,” Eric Cancel (he’s turned the corner, recently), reprises the ride for trainer Charley Baker.

Others: :1: , :5: , :6:

Race Seven:

:4: Watch The Tie has graced the tote in every one of his six lifetime pari-mutuel starts. This Freud-bred gelding does step up into a winners’ category. Yes, this Storm Cat-bred 3 year-old has been away from the races for a couple months; that, frankly, is a bit troubling. Yet, I still believe this Distorted Humor-bred, Gary Gullo-trainee can prevail. The one-panel cutback off his last win shouldn’t hurt this gelding’s chances of making it two-straight. You can add to the mix the services of one of the nation’s leading riders, Irad Ortiz, Jr. I might add that trainer Gullo does very well with horses that have been on the shelf for a while.

Others: :2: , :8:, :7:

Race Eight:

:8: Vicki’s Dancer is my choice in the six-panel OC sprint for New York state-breds. This mare was last at Aqueduct in mid November in a state-bred non-graded stakes, the 125k New York Stallions Sires. She finished up the track in that one after leading the field to the top of the stretch. This Disco Rico-bred mare now cuts back a panel; that should help her chances of getting her picture taken in the Aqueduct winner’s circle. This Citidancer 6 year-old is also aided and abetted by the services of two of NYRA’s finest: jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr and trainer Rudy Rodriguez. This mare now drops into a race where she can prevail. A solid recent breeze signals readiness.

Others: :2: , :1: , :7:

Race Nine:

:3: Fortunate Sky is my choice in the finale, a 14k maiden-claiming sprint. This Sky Mesa-bred gelding was improving his position in his last against tougher. This 3 year-old Pulpit-bred now drops to the lowest level in his pari-mutuel racing career. The gelding’s trainer, Gary Gullo, does very well with maiden-claiming races. Jockey John Bisono ships his tack in from “The City of Brotherly Love” for one of his rare appearances in “The Big Apple”. In closing, the class drop might just be the prescription for a winning effort.

Others: :1: , :7: , :4: