PDA

View Full Version : Ogden Phipps

cj
06-17-2004, 05:18 PM
4 horse G1, very sad.

Someone has to win this race, and it looks like Azeri. She is still running decent numbers, gets back to a good distance, and meets weak competition.

Sightseek hasn't been the same since peaking at Saratoga last year. Her last four are just not very good. Storm Flag Flying hasn't been anywhere near the same horse since her BC Juv F win. And Passing Shot just isn't in Azeri's league.

Only concern for Azeri is the one turn thing, but she should still handle this group easily. If she doesn't, time for the breeding shed.

Tee
06-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Craig,

How do u think the race shape will set up?

It is my contention that the short field will have the group more tightly bunched & may not be as easy for Azeri as some would make it out to be.

cj
06-17-2004, 05:24 PM
I think Azeri and Sightseek will sit up front, the other two a couple lengths behind. Azeri will put away Sightseek, and open a big lead. One of the other two, probably Passing Shot, will get 2d while no threat to Azeri.

Just my opinion, I think Sightseek is toast.

Bubbles
06-17-2004, 05:29 PM
The one question mark I see on Azeri is that we don't really know if she can handle the Belmont strip. You couldn't really tell in the Met, she was going to get beat even if ridden hard. She has zero published works at Belmont.

Sightseek may not be her old self, but she IS three-for-three at BEL and coming off a bullet work. If anyone beats Azeri, it's her.

CryingForTheHorses
06-17-2004, 08:27 PM
3 for 3 and a bullet work makes her worth watching..love the one turn with a horse with a bullet work..You may have picked the winner Bubbles

WINMANWIN
06-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Maybe I can separate SIGHTSEEK AND AZERI with STORM FLAG FLYING as the race is named after Owner Phipp's DAD.Sorta like a hunch play:eek: This horse looked desperate last outing just
getting UP for the victory, but she does have HEART.

PaceAdvantage
06-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Wasn't I saying they should retire Storm Flag Flying years ago....she looked like Lady's Secret...no interest....LOL

With that said, Azeri should win this race by a MINIMUM of 4 lengths...

cj
06-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Quick recap...

Sightseek is back, Storm Flag Flying getting a little better, Passing Shot runs the same as always, and Azeri is DEAD! Nice job Wayne. :D:D:D

JimG
06-19-2004, 05:23 PM
Regarding Azeri...

What a shame!! The horse was so enjoyable to watch last year. After today, I am hoping for retirement.

Jim

Bubbles
06-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Wow. Exacta and triple in the Mass. Cap, and Sightseek in the Phipps. I think I should just retire on top...:) :D ;)

Seriously, though, I think Azeri should be shipped back West. I don't think she likes the surface of Belmont at all. Sightseek, on the other hand, is now 4-for-4 at Belmont. She loves that surface. However, I wouldn't consider her "back" yet. If she proves she can travel effectively, she's back. Otherwise, she's still not the same horse.

PaceAdvantage
06-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Why retirement? If you throw out the Met Mile, a race she really didn't run all that badly in considering the competition, this is her only bad race.

Why retire after one bad race? Did they retire Storm Flag Flying? Did they retire Sightseek? They all had bad races....

How about Birdstone...should they have retired him?

Yeah yeah, I know...Azeri has "nothing left to prove"....whatever that means.

Put Mike Smith back. She hasn't run a step for Pat Day....

Tee
06-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Yeah put Mike Smith back on Azeri, get the betting public to bet a few more bucks on her because of the jock change & drive the price up on the other entrants who at this moment have a much better chance of winning than Azeri does.

Works for me!!

cj
06-22-2004, 02:12 PM
I knew this race was ugly, and the 99 Beyer Sightseek received confirmed this impression. I don't think any of this field will do much when faced with some real competition. I'd bet Ashado and Island Sand against any of them right now, today.