PDA

View Full Version : Returning handicapper

Minniethemoocher
12-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Been away from the game ten years. Will start back at two tracks that are new. Should I compile trainer stats and watch races for entire 15 week meets? Any advice using laptop vs. tablet for downloading pp's and viewing races? Thanks!

ReplayRandall
12-13-2015, 10:36 PM
Been away from the game ten years. Will start back at two tracks that are new. Should I compile trainer stats and watch races for entire 15 week meets? Any advice using laptop vs. tablet for downloading pp's and viewing races? Thanks!

So after 10 years, what exactly brings you back to the races?

Stillriledup
12-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Trainer stats and watching races seem to be a bit of an odd couple, how would trainer stats come into play if your wagers are coming from the evaluation of racehorse talent on video?

Hoofless_Wonder
12-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Trainer stats may be "trainer patterns". Identifying the horse that had a bad trip or looked good after the race doesn't mean much if the trainer doesn't spot it to win.

I too am curious of what motivates someone to come back after a decade break...

NorCalGreg
12-14-2015, 01:31 AM

I was away from the game for 12 solid years, and announced it upon my return appx 1 year ago. Funny....no one asked where the hell I had been :lol: .

Think they just assumed I had been a "guest" of the State of California (you know, the Raider avatar and all).

The thing I was most surprised about, Minnie, were the small fields, the absense of "claiming jail" the uncoupled entries, and the complete and readily-available onslaught of info available to even the common handicapper.
Just feel your way through.....in no time you'll be up to speed, your old 'capping skills will come back to you, and it will be like you never left the game.

Godd luck

-NCG☮

Fox
12-14-2015, 05:46 AM
Welcome back.

You should check out SRU downs. It's state of the art and very player friendly.

Best of luck.

acorn54
12-14-2015, 06:07 AM

dear minni
you left racing at the wrong time and your coming back at the wrong time afaik
profit is much harder. seems with hardship in the economy everyone is thinking the same thing-trying to make a little extra income to live on
10 years, hmm the consciousness has changed. it is no longer a party atmosphere, it is a cutthroat endevor with almost every bettor trying to know what the odds on their horse is before they lay there precious dollars down.
personally 10 years ago i was finding MANY more good bets at much larger payoffs. today i bet MUCH less and find very few plays. i have not adopted the exotic wagering of playing pick 3-4-6 type bets and don't care to go there even though that is the trend nowadays with the very short fields.
good luck

raybo
12-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Welcome back.

You should check out SRU downs. It's state of the art and very player friendly.

Best of luck.

How about posting a link! :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
12-14-2015, 12:48 PM
How about posting a link! :lol:

http://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2013/12/Saffron-Walden-RC.jpg

Stillriledup
12-14-2015, 01:12 PM
http://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2013/12/Saffron-Walden-RC.jpg

:lol:

Post of Year candidate, and just in time too!!

1st time lasix
12-14-2015, 01:58 PM
How about posting a link! :lol: :D priceless!!!

raybo
12-14-2015, 02:30 PM

Welcome back! Don't see many who have left, for whatever reason, and decided to try it again. We "old codgers" are slowly dying off, and the numbers for racing support that fact.

The game has changed dramatically over the last 10 years, shorter fields, the creation of "racinos" and slots and the inevitable draining of a decreasing customer base, increases in drug use, influx of CRWs and others who negotiate deals that allow them to have the last word on final odds (after the core of players have already wagered), etc., etc., etc..

Not a pretty scenario for the future, that's for sure. But, for those who "think and act outside the box" there is still plenty of room for success.

Not knowing what kind of player you were, it would be impossible to make suggestions as to how these changes in the game will affect your methodology. So, just start with what you used to do, if you were successful anyway, and compare the old results with the new ones (a non-wagering study would be my choice, but your mileage may differ).

Minniethemoocher
12-15-2015, 09:54 PM
So after 10 years, what exactly brings you back to the races?
Disposable time, been caring for ill family members. Followed sport casually in the interim, now ready to devote serious time once again.

ReplayRandall
12-16-2015, 12:04 AM
Disposable time, been caring for ill family members. Followed sport casually in the interim, now ready to devote serious time once again.

Tip of the cap to you Minnie, for giving TLC to your family members in their time of need. If you want a good place to start, Timeformus.com gives you a look at the newest innovations of PP's and pace-lines. The moderator who is CJ, should be able to accelerate your learning curve with no problem....BTW, the cost for the product is quite reasonable.

no breathalyzer
12-16-2015, 09:25 AM

:ThmbUp: :lol: that's funny

JayTris07
12-17-2015, 07:22 PM

LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

:D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lemon Drop Husker
12-17-2015, 08:45 PM
Welcome Back!

All the best my friend.